Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zydrunas Ilgauskas Back To The Cavs???
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards bought out the contract of center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and waived him, the team announced on Thursday.

The 7-foot-3 Ilgauskas, who was acquired from Cleveland on Feb. 17 as part of the three-team trade that sent Antawn Jamison to the Cavaliers, didn't play for Washington. He reported on Feb. 19, took a physical and immediately returned to Cleveland.

A source tells ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it cost Ilgauskas $1.5 million of his salary to secure his buyout from the Wizards. Giving that money up was made more painful by the fact that he was paid up front by the Cavs, which meant he had to write a check for $1.5 million to the Wizards to pay for the right to be waived.

The 34-year-old is averaging 7.5 points and 5.3 rebounds this season.

"We agreed to terms with Zydrunas on a contract buyout, giving us further financial flexibility and allowing our young big men to continue to develop over the remainder of the season," Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld said.

No team is far enough under the salary cap to absorb Ilgauskas' $11.5 million salary for this season, so he will become a free agent eligible to join any team for a prorated share of the veterans minimum. Under NBA rules, he would be able to rejoin the Cavaliers in 30 days, but could sign with another team immediately.

"I'm expecting to talk to about half a dozen teams in the league -- including the Cavaliers," Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas' agent, said.

"He's not going to rush into anything. He has time," Rudoy added. "He'll let me know what he wants to do."

Rudoy also said the Mavericks are one of Ilgauskas' alternatives.

"He definitely has some options to think about and one will definitely be the Mavs," he said.

Though he lost his starting job this season after the Cavs acquired Shaquille O'Neal, a return to the Cavs could be attractive for Ilgauskas. He's spent his entire career in Cleveland after he was drafted in 1996, and the Cavaliers are one of the favorites to win the NBA championship this season.

In his 12-year career, Ilgauskas has averaged 13.9 points and 7.7 rebounds.

An NBA official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Monday that the league had not threatened to stop Ilgauskas from returning to the Cavs, saying it would step in only if there were proof of an agreement before the trade was made.

Last season, Antonio McDyess went back to Detroit after the Pistons dealt him to Denver along with Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson, and players such as Brent Barry (San Antonio) and Gary Payton (Boston) also have returned to clubs that dealt them in recent seasons.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4945097"]Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Washington Wizards reach agreement on buyout - ESPN[/ame]
He's coming back to the Cavs. That was the plan all along. If they dont and Shaq gets injured around playoff time, the Magic will eat them up inside and could possibly steal it from the Cavs again.
I thought I heard from ESPN that LeBron James wanted Zydrunas Ilgauskas to come back.
How are they going to rotate all these players? Deepest team in the league by far?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:How are they going to rotate all these players? Deepest team in the league by far?

Good question. Players will just have to settle for reduced minutes.
They said he would be back to the Cavs on the day of the trade. This is old news. On trade day, it was expected that he would said the 30 days and be released!
Who really cares if he comes back?
K_Mac Wrote:Who really cares if he comes back?

The Cavs :popcorn:
Stardust Wrote:The Cavs :popcorn:

IDK why, Lebron, the all mighty King, should be able to win without him. :eyeroll:
K_Mac Wrote:IDK why, Lebron, the all mighty King, should be able to win without him. :eyeroll:

Your right, if lebron had the talent kobe has had around him the past few years..Lebron could have...Now that lebron has Shaq, Ilgauskas,jamison, west, mo, and gibson, they will have no problems winning the finals this season against the nuggets:Clap:
Why not shaq is hurt till playoffs they need a REAL big man
theVILLE Wrote:Your right, if lebron had the talent kobe has had around him the past few years..Lebron could have...Now that lebron has Shaq, Ilgauskas,jamison, west, mo, and gibson, they will have no problems winning the finals this season against the nuggets:Clap:

:thatsfunn I love reading your posts. You have said he will win it every year (your bound to be right sooner or later i guess). Just not this year, sorry.
With or without, they will not be winning the East yet again.
Ballers Wrote:With or without, they will not be winning the East yet again.

Glad someone agrees with me!
Yeah because the Celtics will use their canes and wheelchairs to get past the Magic and the Cavs in the playoffs..
runninrebs21 Wrote:Yeah because the Celtics will use their canes and wheelchairs to get past the Magic and the Cavs in the playoffs..

Being old has nothing to do with being able to play.
runninrebs21 Wrote:Yeah because the Celtics will use their canes and wheelchairs to get past the Magic and the Cavs in the playoffs..

Well sorry to tell you but the old guys your referring too are probably gonna sit Cleveland down in the playoffs... If it isn't Boston it will surely be the Magic.
he reminds me of arvenis subonus
Ballers Wrote:Well sorry to tell you but the old guys your referring too are probably gonna sit Cleveland down in the playoffs... If it isn't Boston it will surely be the Magic.

that is for sure!