Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats to all Eastern Ky Wrestlers!
I just wanted to say "Great Job" to all the athletes who participated in the region 8 and state wrestling tournament. Letcher Co Central had a regional title in Justing Gross, a regional runner up in Joel Murtaught<--spell, and Tyler Smith placing 3rd. All together since 2006 the wrestling team has gotten 3 regional champs, and 6 regional runners up. Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, and Whitley Co showed why they have the best program in the eastern part of the state. Cougar fans those three individuals will be returning next season, and I feel this program is important. The region is going to be held at LCC next year. Why do you think the school isn't taking this sports seriously when we have more regional titles "3" than football, basketball, and baseball combined "2"? I know this is a individual title, but besides track and cross country, wrestling is 3rd in regional appearance. Wrestling has produced 9 regional title games in 5 years. I wanted to congratulate Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, and Whitley Co, but at the same time I feel this sports isn't taken seriously. Do you all agree with me cougar fans?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:I just wanted to say "Great Job" to all the athletes who participated in the region 8 and state wrestling tournament. Letcher Co Central had a regional title in Justing Gross, a regional runner up in Joel Murtaught<--spell, and Tyler Smith placing 3rd. All together since 2006 the wrestling team has gotten 3 regional champs, and 6 regional runners up. Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, and Whitley Co showed why they have the best program in the eastern part of the state. Cougar fans those three individuals will be returning next season, and I feel this program is important. The region is going to be held at LCC next year. Why do you think the school isn't taking this sports seriously when we have more regional titles "3" than football, basketball, and baseball combined "2"? I know this is a individual title, but besides track and cross country, wrestling is 3rd in regional appearance. Wrestling has produced 9 regional title games in 5 years. I wanted to congratulate Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, and Whitley Co, but at the same time I feel this sports isn't taken seriously. Do you all agree with me cougar fans?

Sorry, I forgot volleyball. Volleyball would be 2nd, Cross Country 3rd, and wrestling 4th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I agree 100% (all tho I am biased being a wrestler). I understand that the school isnt going to throw us all the money they do the other big programs and have a pep rally befor region but a little more reginition would be nice.

out of the 3 regional titles wrestling has the only one that has any sort of reginition in LCC's trophy case is a litttle plaque from when I won region last year and its not even standing up its laying flat where you cant even see it. Josh Backs region championship is not regonized at LCC in any way an neither is Justin Gross. when vollyball or any other sport wins region they get a huge picture put in the gym for every body to see. Why do wrestlers get the shaft??
I agree! To me it bothers them that this sport is doing so well. I don't understand why. When was the last time that the principles or athletic director or even the superintend was at a meet? Home games are usually 90% on a Saturday. You guys make sure you have a great banquet. You and Justin need a banner at the old gym. There should be one for DK since he has the all time wins there, and two regional runner ups. If I am not mistaken he reached farther than anyone placing 6th in the state. I think he should have a banner. You guys need a little more recognition. Too bad someone didn't tape the regional's with Justin and Joel being in the finals. That would be nice to see that on the school channel. It is awful right now what they have on there for three weeks at a time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

i know how you feel. Being a former wrestler from Sheldon Clark i hate the way the wrestlers were treated. SC wrestling has won 4 or 5 wrestling state championships and we barely even have a place to dress. The basketball teams get everything and they usually win 4 or 5 games.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I agree! To me it bothers them that this sport is doing so well. I don't understand why. When was the last time that the principles or athletic director or even the superintend was at a meet? Home games are usually 90% on a Saturday. You guys make sure you have a great banquet. You and Justin need a banner at the old gym. There should be one for DK since he has the all time wins there, and two regional runner ups. If I am not mistaken he reached farther than anyone placing 6th in the state. I think he should have a banner. You guys need a little more recognition. Too bad someone didn't tape the regional's with Justin and Joel being in the finals. That would be nice to see that on the school channel. It is awful right now what they have on there for three weeks at a time.

Almost agree with what you say 100% of the time cougar. But Region tittles and state qualifiers should be listed in the wrestling room somewhere. Only state tittles and state champions deserve banners imo.
DK should have some kind of reginition for placing. but he didnt place 6th in state he placed 7th which is still the highest anyone has placed.
Pink Flamingo Wrote:i know how you feel. Being a former wrestler from Sheldon Clark i hate the way the wrestlers were treated. SC wrestling has won 4 or 5 wrestling state championships and we barely even have a place to dress. The basketball teams get everything and they usually win 4 or 5 games.

It wasn't always like that. SC's wrestling team used to dictate alot in that gym. I know it was rough for the basketball players to practice in a 90 plus degree gym. But how many state champions has SC's basketball team had?
wrestler_119 Wrote:DK should have some kind of reginition for placing. but he didnt place 6th in state he placed 7th which is still the highest anyone has placed.

Honestly I don't think you need to recognize a 7th place finish. Be patient and give it some time and you will produce some champions.
I was talking about the wins he had not necessary the placement. Region titles in my opinion should be mentioned. At least we have three regional titles in wrestling for a program that hasn't been around long. Placing in the top 10 in the state is still something that shows that this program has come a long way in the five years it has been new to Letcher Co. Wrestling is a great way to help all sports as well as establish a great program to compete in. Answer me this! How many football coaches or anyone directed with football is part of the coaching or conditioning staff in wrestling in all the eastern Ky teams? I know Johnson Central is, and that is 4 extra months of legal conditioning that he has with his players. They may be wrestling, but he is still coaching, and making them condition, and that is why they are getting better and better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I was talking about the wins he had not necessary the placement. Region titles in my opinion should be mentioned. At least we have three regional titles in wrestling for a program that hasn't been around long. Placing in the top 10 in the state is still something that shows that this program has come a long way in the five years it has been new to Letcher Co. Wrestling is a great way to help all sports as well as establish a great program to compete in. Answer me this! How many football coaches or anyone directed with football is part of the coaching or conditioning staff in wrestling in all the eastern Ky teams? I know Johnson Central is, and that is 4 extra months of legal conditioning that he has with his players. They may be wrestling, but he is still coaching, and making them condition, and that is why they are getting better and better.

Johnson Central isn't really thinking of football during wrestling season though. Matney has coached one of the best wrestling teams in the country. He has produced team and many individual state champions. SC's coach is also an assistant football coach. I do agree that wrestling helps with football though. However you have three individual regional titles. You have not won regions as a team though. Winning region is great but there aren't many people out there putting up banners for idividual regional wrestling champs. However it is a great start.
That is why I think we should encourage more football players to come out for wrestling, and take it seriously. Other than basketball, what are they doing? Weightlifting? Conditioning? I think you could do both in wrestling, and still keep in shape. After February then push weight lifting hard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!