Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now???
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1970319.html

GREAT article...4 pages just click through the link above...

Billy Gillispie began to receive calls and text messages not long after then-No. 1 Kentucky lost its first game of the season at South Carolina three weeks ago. All were in the same context, speculating that Gillispie was snickering that the team from the university that had fired him less than a year ago had tumbled from its perch as the top-ranked team in college basketball. Gillispie was surprised at the perception.
"I'm not like that at all," he said recently. "I'm pulling for them.
"To be able to do what they have done so quickly, no one has more respect for that than me, because I have been part of that [at UT-El Paso and Texas A&M]. I think they made a smart move [in hiring John Calipari].
jammin' jamey Wrote:http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1970319.html

GREAT article...4 pages just click through the link above...

Billy Gillispie began to receive calls and text messages not long after then-No. 1 Kentucky lost its first game of the season at South Carolina three weeks ago. All were in the same context, speculating that Gillispie was snickering that the team from the university that had fired him less than a year ago had tumbled from its perch as the top-ranked team in college basketball. Gillispie was surprised at the perception.
"I'm not like that at all," he said recently. "I'm pulling for them.
"To be able to do what they have done so quickly, no one has more respect for that than me, because I have been part of that [at UT-El Paso and Texas A&M]. I think they made a smart move [in hiring John Calipari].
He is going to Depaul or arkansas next season mark my word
theVILLE Wrote:He is going to Depaul or arkansas next season mark my word

I will agree with the fact that someone will take a chance on him again. Probably be best for him to stay in the Midwest and Southwest regions for recruiting purposes.
I heard DePaul today as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Im sorry for that team.
I thought that I saw him on celebrity rehab with Dr Drew
^ now that's not funny!

OK, I guess it was - lol
Billy Clyde would fit in just fine with a team like Arkansas, or Houston, any program where you can get 20 wins and everybody be happy (Tubby at Minnesota is a prime example). Dont be so quick to judge BCG. The man can coach. He was in way over his head in Lexington, but if people would take a second to look at what he's done everywhere else, he's made every program he's been to (except UK) better. Much better. Ive been a big fan of Arkansas for a long time now and if it doesnt work out with Pelphrey, I wouldnt mind them giving Gillispie a shot. But Pelphrey has the Hogs playing some very good ball right now, so who knows..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Depaul fans really want him. I stopped by there message board earlier, and they are all for it. Billy G can coach. He has (had) some marks on his personal record, but if he is straightened up some, I see no reason he couldn't continue to be a successful coach.
Reanimate Wrote:Depaul fans really want him. I stopped by there message board earlier, and they are all for it. Billy G can coach. He has (had) some marks on his personal record, but if he is straightened up some, I see no reason he couldn't continue to be a successful coach.
Good post :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Arkansas won again yesterday against South Carolina. They are really playing some good ball at the right time of the year. I really do think that this little surge in conference play has saved Pel's job for at least one more year. Kind of amazing that they start playing like this once Fotson gets back.
Anyways, I don't really see CBC going to Arkansas but Depaul or Houston seems like a great fit for him. (Im sure he would rather be at Houston because it is around his recruiting ground.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Billy Clyde would fit in just fine with a team like Arkansas, or Houston, any program where you can get 20 wins and everybody be happy (Tubby at Minnesota is a prime example). Dont be so quick to judge BCG. The man can coach. He was in way over his head in Lexington, but if people would take a second to look at what he's done everywhere else, he's made every program he's been to (except UK) better. Much better. Ive been a big fan of Arkansas for a long time now and if it doesnt work out with Pelphrey, I wouldnt mind them giving Gillispie a shot. But Pelphrey has the Hogs playing some very good ball right now, so who knows..

Have to disagree with you on a couple things here TH32. I don't think he can coach at all. Look at the programs he turned around. They are football schools I believe. Those people are happy with 18 to 20 wins a year with an NCAA apperance every 3 years or so. I don't think he knows talent, if he did he wouldn't have offered the scollys he did at UK. Not one of those kids he was recruiting could play in the SEC and contribute any significent minutes. He set UK's program back 5 years in the loss column. I usually agree with most of your posts, they are very insightful, but this one I can't go with.
I too am a fan of the Razorbacks, especially with John being the coach.
i dont see pelphrey leaving arkansas any time soon..he'll end up in texas some wheres like utep, north texas or austin peay. definitely not TCU
kyrifle Wrote:Have to disagree with you on a couple things here TH32. I don't think he can coach at all. Look at the programs he turned around. They are football schools I believe. Those people are happy with 18 to 20 wins a year with an NCAA apperance every 3 years or so. I don't think he knows talent, if he did he wouldn't have offered the scollys he did at UK. Not one of those kids he was recruiting could play in the SEC and contribute any significent minutes. He set UK's program back 5 years in the loss column. I usually agree with most of your posts, they are very insightful, but this one I can't go with.

But ALOT of schools are happy with 18-20 wins a year especially those that ride the line of mediocrity. And not one of the kids he recruited could play in the SEC? He recruited Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins, John Hood (who was a 4 star) and Daniel Orton had already committed to UK (to play for Gillespie ) before Calipari even came to town.And lets also not forget that Patrick Patterson hadn't signed with UK before Billy Clyde came to town. The man can definitely coach at a high level. But he is not someone that can deal with the pressure of winning 25+ games EVERY YEAR. He does better in a place with little expectation (like a football school) and any success at all he'll be praised. He just wasnt a good fit at UK, but that doesnt mean he can't coach.
kyrifle Wrote:Have to disagree with you on a couple things here TH32. I don't think he can coach at all. Look at the programs he turned around. They are football schools I believe. Those people are happy with 18 to 20 wins a year with an NCAA apperance every 3 years or so. I don't think he knows talent, if he did he wouldn't have offered the scollys he did at UK. Not one of those kids he was recruiting could play in the SEC and contribute any significent minutes. He set UK's program back 5 years in the loss column. I usually agree with most of your posts, they are very insightful, but this one I can't go with.
Well, the respect is absolutely mutual, and I do agree with a lot of your post. Those schools (UTEP, Texas A&M) are football schools, but after his first season at UTEP (6-24), he had a top 25 recruiting class, and went 24-8 the next year after being predicted 9th or 10th or something like that in the WAC..and he took TA&M from 7-21 the year before he got there to 21-10 his first year, and his last season there, they ended up #6 in the final regular season polls, knocked off Louisville and came within 1 point of knocking off Memphis in the tourney..If he can coach a school near Texas, he'll do very well recruiting. I believe he tried to branch out at UK recruiting wise, and failed miserably, where as when he was at the other two schools, he recruited primarily in Texas. With that said, I just believe he crumbled under the pressure at a real basketball school. If he can stick to coaching basketball at a football school, he'll do well. However, I hope Pelphreys at Arkansas forever (I was a fan there during Suttons last couple of years, through the Strollin Nolan years, Stan Heath and still follow them today). I just wish he had Courtney Fortson at the first of the season, that 14-12 could easily be 19-7 or 20-6, but they still have a great shot to win the SEC West. But anyways, this is about BCG, sorry I got rambling on about the Hogs, lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Let's not forget to step out of the Big Blue goggles that we are wearing. 20+ wins and NCAA tournament appearances are a great acheivement if you are not a perennial power. Depaul and Houston have had great teams in the past but they are by no means power-houses. They are also not media-crazed.

His average record is 23-14. That is not a bad record at a place like Depaul. Also in 7 seasons as a head coach he has 4 NCAA apearances including a Sweet 16. What is so odd is that if you look at his record at UK, he went 18-13 and got to the NCAA Tourney, his second season he went 22-14 and did NOT make the NCAA tournament. The record improved but he didn't go to the tourney.

I do not want him back at UK but I think he would do very well at Depaul and I think he could do GREAT at Houston.
lwc Wrote:Let's not forget to step out of the Big Blue goggles that we are wearing. 20+ wins and NCAA tournament appearances are a great acheivement if you are not a perennial power. Depaul and Houston have had great teams in the past but they are by no means power-houses. They are also not media-crazed.

His average record is 23-14. That is not a bad record at a place like Depaul. Also in 7 seasons as a head coach he has 4 NCAA apearances including a Sweet 16. What is so odd is that if you look at his record at UK, he went 18-13 and got to the NCAA Tourney, his second season he went 22-14 and did NOT make the NCAA tournament. The record improved but he didn't go to the tourney.

I do not want him back at UK but I think he would do very well at Depaul and I think he could do GREAT at Houston.
18-13 and 22-14 wouldnt get it done at UK no matter who was coaching. Everybody got tired of the 10+ losses from Tubby and ran him out of town. People can say what they want about Tubby, but in my honest opinion I believe he is one of the top 10 X's and O's coaches in the country. Tubbys downfall was recruiting..Im with you though, I wouldnt want BCG at UK either...and I agree 100% with you on HOUSTON. Put him at Houston and they win 25+ games every single season. Im not sold on him at DePaul though. Thats a tough place to get Texas kids to come to, not to mention winning in the Big East at a school like DePaul would be tough for a top tier coach, much less BCG..keep him near the pipeline and he'll do good..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lwc Wrote:Let's not forget to step out of the Big Blue goggles that we are wearing. 20+ wins and NCAA tournament appearances are a great acheivement if you are not a perennial power. Depaul and Houston have had great teams in the past but they are by no means power-houses. They are also not media-crazed.

That is an excellent post. That is really good infromation for the average of the record. I think that at a place like Depaul, as you said, it would do wonders for the program to just have a consistent basketball presence. I think that either Chi. or Houston is a good fit but taking a struggling program to a 10+ winning record would do absolute wonders. I really wish the best for him. As others have mentioned, he was in over his head at a place like UK and still with all of the crap that went on here, I still think that he got into a bad situation and just made it worse with his type of background.

I call that he ends up in Houston, and he quickly turns them into a star recruiting ground.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:18-13 and 22-14 wouldnt get it done at UK no matter who was coaching. Everybody got tired of the 10+ losses from Tubby and ran him out of town. People can say what they want about Tubby, but in my honest opinion I believe he is one of the top 10 X's and O's coaches in the country. Tubbys downfall was recruiting..

AGREED!

Tubby had good recruiting classes and players (Hayes, Rondo, Bogans, Fitch, Prince, etc...) What REALLY hurt Tubby is the roller-coaster recruiting that occured. Top 20 recruiting class one year, poopie recruing class the next, Top 10 recruiting class, then poopie, etc....

Even if it is just a Top 30-40 class every year, it has to be consistent. Because when guys like Kelenna and Rondo leave in a close time-frame, that hurts if you can't recruit consistently. The same thing happened to Billy Gillespie. He lost Legion, never got to have Jasper, and Jodie has hurt for a long time. All of that was in a two year span.

I am not apologizing for either but that is what happens in basketball. To be a great coach TODAY, you must be a great recruiter AND EITHER a great conditioner/motivator or a great X's and O's coach. It is a TOUGH market with plenty of good coaches.
^ Agreed.... Getting Rondo, Crawford, Morris, Bradley (1st rated class) and then following it up with a 2 player class in Jared Carter and Adam Williams.......... That was what sat the stage for the collapse.
As long as he has nothing to do with UK, I wouldnt care if he coached a AAU team. Best of luck!
Been doing some checking and it seems like the warden wants him to coach a basketball game, seem like the guards have a semi-pro team and.......oh wait that was football and Paul Crew sorry.
I heard DePaul also.
tennessee would be a good fit. he could comfort the players while they are in jail together.
hes got a good liver
Well where ever he is, he's definitley sober I assure you.
He was well compensated , whats not to like?
Has anyone heard anymore information from the coaching carousel. I really hope that CBG gets the job at Houston. I really feel like that is the best fit for him and hi recruiting pipeline. He would get that program back up quickly and hopefully keep that job for a while before maybe building towards a bigger Big 12 job or something.