Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McMurray wins Daytona 500
Jamie McMurray held off a last-lap charge from Dale Earnhardt Jr. to win the Daytona 500 on the second green-white-checkered attempt.
Pretty classy guy, I am really happy for him
Stardust Wrote:Pretty classy guy, I am really happy for him

He is a classy guy I was pulling for Jr the whole race but I'm glad to see McMurray win. I feel like Im going to get back into Nascar this year like I was when I was little, I was excited the last few laps when everything that was going on and I haven't been that excited with sport in several years.
Very excellent race! Dale Jr. came from out of no where to finish second. Really happy for him and Jamie with the win. I thought Edwards would be there after restarting 3rd for the final two laps but they left him out to dry and he fell to 9th. All in all I was still happy with the race.
I really liked this race and was also about as excited as I have been with Nascar in a few years. If Jr or Mark couldn't win then I was glad to see class act McMurray win. What emotion he showed after the race. And Jr raced the last two laps like he was on a mission. He made great moves and finally drove aggressive to finish strong.
I know this is only one race but I think NASCAR this year is going to get back to the way the sport used to be in the late 80s and 90s. I saw those boys really getting after it all afternoon. Gotta crow a little about JR. He didnt win today but he displayed some late lap moves that wouldve made his Daddy proud for sure!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I know this is only one race but I think NASCAR this year is going to get back to the way the sport used to be in the late 80s and 90s. I saw those boys really getting after it all afternoon. Gotta crow a little about JR. He didnt win today but he displayed some late lap moves that wouldve made his Daddy proud for sure!
I can honestly say that there wasnt one single race last year that I enjoyed watching, not only because Carl didnt win any, but the racing was horrible, it wasnt exciting AT ALL, and I had just gotten disgusted with it altogether. The atmosphere just wasnt there either. I thought it had gotten too big for its britches so to speak. They spent all their time on making the sport global, spent it on the huge pre race concerts, and basically abandoned the competition part, which is the 3 to 4 hours people go to the track for. Well this year, NASCAR FINALLY got it right. The rule changes saved the sport, and its as simple as that. I know the 2+ hours in delays may not have been ideal, BUT its the Daytona 500, and they were right on the money to finish the race and let the victor earn that checkered flag. I didnt care one bit waiting it out. I had enjoyed the race up until that point and I was gonna stick it out too. I LOVED the last half of that race. ANYWAYS, there were a lot of cars that ran strong, and I thought my boy Carl was gonna slingshot into the lead on the restart. He was 3rd, then shuffled into the middle, and finished 9th. Ill take a top 10 at Daytona to start the year off any day of the week. I didnt mind to see McMurray win it, because its always nice to see someone act like they just won the biggest race of his career, instead of being so nonchalont about it. I really enjoyed the race, and I kept telling myself, yep, this is the NASCAR that I remember, and Im actually looking forward to the rest of the year. Im excited about it, and kudos to the sport on the changes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
McMurray made a bunch of people in Atlanta happy.

Atlanta Motor Speedway was doing "Racing Roulette" where they sell 2000 tickets to the Spring Race and the price is determined by the number of the winning car at Daytona. Since McMurray is #1, that means that all those tickets were on sale for 1.00 each!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:McMurray made a bunch of people in Atlanta happy.

Atlanta Motor Speedway was doing "Racing Roulette" where they sell 2000 tickets to the Spring Race and the price is determined by the number of the winning car at Daytona. Since McMurray is #1, that means that all those tickets were on sale for 1.00 each!
LOL..look how close it was to being 88.00!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was pulling for Tony Stewart, but I'm happy with who won.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I can honestly say that there wasnt one single race last year that I enjoyed watching, not only because Carl didnt win any, but the racing was horrible, it wasnt exciting AT ALL, and I had just gotten disgusted with it altogether. The atmosphere just wasnt there either. I thought it had gotten too big for its britches so to speak. They spent all their time on making the sport global, spent it on the huge pre race concerts, and basically abandoned the competition part, which is the 3 to 4 hours people go to the track for. Well this year, NASCAR FINALLY got it right. The rule changes saved the sport, and its as simple as that. I know the 2+ hours in delays may not have been ideal, BUT its the Daytona 500, and they were right on the money to finish the race and let the victor earn that checkered flag. I didnt care one bit waiting it out. I had enjoyed the race up until that point and I was gonna stick it out too. I LOVED the last half of that race. ANYWAYS, there were a lot of cars that ran strong, and I thought my boy Carl was gonna slingshot into the lead on the restart. He was 3rd, then shuffled into the middle, and finished 9th. Ill take a top 10 at Daytona to start the year off any day of the week. I didnt mind to see McMurray win it, because its always nice to see someone act like they just won the biggest race of his career, instead of being so nonchalont about it. I really enjoyed the race, and I kept telling myself, yep, this is the NASCAR that I remember, and Im actually looking forward to the rest of the year. Im excited about it, and kudos to the sport on the changes!
I agree 100% as usual 'Hoss. I know alot of folks will give Mcmurray a rough time over crying in Victory Lane. Im just glad we saw someone demonstrate true emotion over winning a race instead of another mindless drone thanking GOD, Coca Cola, and the boys back at the shop. This sport had spent the last few years getting away from its roots both on the track and away from it as well. Its like Brian France finally got the memo: America fell in love with this sport not DESPITE the fact that it was a southern redneck sport but BECAUSE it was.
I agree with all of you al...IMO they just need to go to the Nation Wide packages for there racing is pretty exciting because of it...as far as the race...congrats Jamie...you deserve it...WISH JR could have pulled it off for he was defiently a man on a mission...now Jr keep it up for them final 2 laps from you was the first time in 2 yrs that you looked like you had some balls...keep doing it for us...drive like your daddy for he inspired all of us!!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I agree 100% as usual 'Hoss. I know alot of folks will give Mcmurray a rough time over crying in Victory Lane. Im just glad we saw someone demonstrate true emotion over winning a race instead of another mindless drone thanking GOD, Coca Cola, and the boys back at the shop. This sport had spent the last few years getting away from its roots both on the track and away from it as well. Its like Brian France finally got the memo: America fell in love with this sport not DESPITE the fact that it was a southern redneck sport but BECAUSE it was.

What are you trying to say???? Are you saying that it is classless for NASCAR drivers, or anyone for that matter to thank God???
Captain Backdoor Wrote:What are you trying to say???? Are you saying that it is classless for NASCAR drivers, or anyone for that matter to thank God???
I knew SOMEONE would miss the point....NO its not classless to thank GOD, or Coke, or The Boys at the Shop for that matter. Where in my post did I say they were being classless? I said they were being emotionless. Like they were reading it from a cue card or something. We should thank GOD for the very breath we breathe cause HE put it there! The point I was trying to make was I was glad to see someone geniunely happy to win the race instead of seemingly going through the motions like some drivers do when they win.