Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources: Tracy McGrady Traded To Knicks In 3-Team Deal
Tracy McGrady is heading to the New York Knicks, who now have more than $9 million of additional salary cap space to use in free acency this summer.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and New York Knicks have agreed to terms that will expand the Houston-Sacramento deal into a three-way trade.

The Knicks will acquire McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez from Sacramento, the Rockets get Kevin Martin and Hilton Armstrong from Sacramento and Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries from New York. Houston also will have the right to swap first-round picks with New York in 2011, and the Rockets also get New York's 2012 first-round pick.

Sacramento obtains Houston's Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey and New York's Larry Hughes.

A source close to the negotiations told ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford that the Knicks' 2011 pick is top-1 protected, and the 2012 pick is top-5 protected.

The deal will put the Knicks more than $30 million below the salary cap on July 1, when they will pursue several members of a free agent class headed by LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade.

Depending on where the 2010-11 salary cap is set, New York could have enough room to make maximum offers to two free agents, which was the lofty goal team president Donnie Walsh set for himself upon taking over the Knicks nearly two years ago. The Knicks have not been below the salary cap since 1996 when they signed free agents Allan Houston and Chris Childs.

The Rockets and Kings agreed on a McGrady trade late Wednesday night, and the Knicks -- who had been in detailed discussions with the Rockets for weeks -- came in as the third team with basically the same package they were originally offering to Houston.

McGrady's nearly $23 million salary comes off the books July 1, as does Al Harrington's $10 million contract and Chris Duhon's $6 million deal. Depending on whether the Heat and New Jersey Nets make any deals by Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline, New York could have the most cap space of any NBA team this summer.

The Knicks also reached agreement Thursday on a trade sending Nate Robinson and a second player to Boston for Eddie House, Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924836"]Tracy McGrady traded to New York Knicks in 3-team deal, sources say - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4925063@@AMEPARAM@@4925063[/ame]
As a Kings fan, it SADDENS me to think that the Kings gave up Kevin Martin. He is on the verge of becoming a scoring-superstar!

Carl Landry is a little over-rated if anyone thinks of him as a super-star or even a go-to guy.

If this didn't clear any cap-space for the Kings, they are very wrong in this trade.
lwc Wrote:As a Kings fan, it SADDENS me to think that the Kings gave up Kevin Martin. He is on the verge of becoming a scoring-superstar!

Carl Landry is a little over-rated if anyone thinks of him as a super-star or even a go-to guy.

If this didn't clear any cap-space for the Kings, they are very wrong in this trade.

I can't believe the Kings have any fans. I'm only joking.
This is a good trade all around. I also look forward to seeing T-Mac be the star of a team again. I wonder if he can perform like he use to. I was a huge fan in those days.
Should be interesting!
I was very right. He can still perform. He had 26 in his first game as a starter for the knicks. and 5 assist. Love T-Mac.
Very interesting watching him run a team again.
T-Mac is a quality basketball player, but he will not be a marque player that can get any free-agent interest to come to NY
He is still great back-up. If the knicks can bring in a few big names T-Mac makes an excellent compliment to any player.
K_Mac Wrote:He is still great back-up. If the knicks can bring in a few big names T-Mac makes an excellent compliment to any player.

Hmm, really? And the Rockets didn't want him!
T-Mac is a good pickup for any team...
but he isn't someone you can count on with the back problems.
You need someone that will be on the court night in and night out.
The Knicks just need to put all of their eggs in the LeBron basket and then work around that. They've killed themselves with trading away all the draft picks to basically have a team full of role players. They have some talent on the roster though. If LeBron makes it their it could be a nice fit.
Stardust Wrote:Hmm, really? And the Rockets didn't want him!

Come on? U could say that about LA not wanting Shaq, wizards and jamison, any big name player who has ever been traded.
I think that this would be a good fit for the knicks..The knicks should still have alot of Cap space left though! T-MAC can be a great player just not like he was 5-8 years ago i guess
T-Mac will run the knicks, and the is his position.. I hated seeing him not play, anyone that thinks the knicks did not get a good deal out of this is crazy. Let's see you put up 13 points in 30 seconds.
Ballers Wrote:T-Mac will run the knicks, and the is his position.. I hated seeing him not play, anyone that thinks the knicks did not get a good deal out of this is crazy. Let's see you put up 13 points in 30 seconds.

Exactly.