Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craziest Atmosphere.
What is the absolute craziest atmosphere you have ever seen for a high school basketball game. Im gonna say the 2008 15th region semifinal when we played Shelby Valley and the expo was almost sold out.
Perry/Hazard regional championship last year was crazy. The game went into overtime, jus a great game to watch. Soooo many fights after the game, complete chaos.
Also Perry/Hazard WYMT championship in the 04-05 season was intense too.
RUPP ARENA in I think 1987, Clay Co. vs Ballard in the state final. The place was packed and everyone was pulling for the mountain team! It was awesome.
The 2004 first round district game between Hazard and Perry at Hyden. The clock was messed up all night. Hazard was ahead by 2 with 4 seconds on the clock. They added a few seconds to the clock and Daniel Combs made a 3 to give Perry the 48-47 win. I still haven't gotten over than one. lol
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:The 2004 first round district game between Hazard and Perry at Hyden. The clock was messed up all night. Hazard was ahead by 2 with 4 seconds on the clock. They added a few seconds to the clock and Daniel Combs made a 3 to give Perry the 48-47 win. I still haven't gotten over than one. lol

I completely forgot about that one. Standing room only. I know that place exceeded captivity by a few hundred that night. My shirt was soaked after the game, it was soo humid. Still don't know how Perry won that game, Hazard clearly had the better team. Moose outcoached Spurlock & Dan's was obviously huge.
#8 Johnson Central/#7 Knott Co. Central--1975

or

Paintsville/Lexington Catholic -1996
I remember the Lex Catholic game at Paintsville, but I believe that was in 97, Josh McKenzie's Senior Year. His grandmother passed away that afternoon. 2000 plus people in a gym that holds 1300 on a good day.........HOTTER than the gates of you know where........College coaches from all over the US were tuning in to the WYMT feed to watch Tackett, McKenzie, VanHoose, Graves, Fields, and many others. I know 4 players went on to play D-1 basketball, maybe a fifth, plus another 2 or 3 that played NAIA.

What about the Clay County/Paintsville game in the late 80's with Farmer bring his team to take on Pelphrey and his group of players? That was another game that sold more tickets than seats.
Holmes vs. Dixie this year. When Dixie lost by 3.
Last year's 8th Region finals between Shelby County and Anderson County. Anderson County won on a 40 ft. shot after a missed free throw by Shelby County.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:I remember the Lex Catholic game at Paintsville, but I believe that was in 97, Josh McKenzie's Senior Year. His grandmother passed away that afternoon. 2000 plus people in a gym that holds 1300 on a good day.........HOTTER than the gates of you know where........College coaches from all over the US were tuning in to the WYMT feed to watch Tackett, McKenzie, VanHoose, Graves, Fields, and many others. I know 4 players went on to play D-1 basketball, maybe a fifth, plus another 2 or 3 that played NAIA.

What about the Clay County/Paintsville game in the late 80's with Farmer bring his team to take on Pelphrey and his group of players? That was another game that sold more tickets than seats.

The Paintsville/Lex Cath game was amazing, I remember sittin on the stage with my uncle, I was 11-12 years old.

As a player, I'd have to say when we (Paintsville) played Rose Hill on Senior Night in 2003. They had OJ Mayo and them boys. Sold out just like the Lex Cath game, plus they had a big screen TV in the new commons area of the school playing a live feed of the game for fans who couldn't get in, AND they had a big screen in the library playin a live feed of the game for more fans.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Youngerthandirt Wrote:I remember the Lex Catholic game at Paintsville, but I believe that was in 97, Josh McKenzie's Senior Year. His grandmother passed away that afternoon. 2000 plus people in a gym that holds 1300 on a good day.........HOTTER than the gates of you know where........College coaches from all over the US were tuning in to the WYMT feed to watch Tackett, McKenzie, VanHoose, Graves, Fields, and many others. I know 4 players went on to play D-1 basketball, maybe a fifth, plus another 2 or 3 that played NAIA.

I knew it was Josh's senior season, but I was thinking he graduated in '96 with Craig. I was thinking that it was his grandfather though. He only lived about a 1/4 mile away from my parents. Regardless, yeah your right, I do remember him losing a grandparent that day.
I think something has been lost with the region tournaments going to these larger venues like the Expo center. I would like to see it go back to a rotation like it used to be and play them in the gyms. The atmosphere is so much better. IMO
Any game at the Morton Combs Athletic Complex.
Paintsville/Prestonsburg 1992... "The Fight". I'm kidding... not a good scene at all.
Honestly 1995 Boys 10th region final. Montgomery beats Mason in double OT. Billy Ray Fawns hits 3's at the end of regulation and the 1st OT to continue the game and seals it in the 2nd OT. 47 points... Shawn Myrick had 39 for Mason.
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:Honestly 1995 Boys 10th region final. Montgomery beats Mason in double OT. Billy Ray Fawns hits 3's at the end of regulation and the 1st OT to continue the game and seals it in the 2nd OT. 47 points... Shawn Myrick had 39 for Mason.
I remember watching him play in the State Tourney in 1995... A lot of good players that year. Awesome State Tourney... Breckinridge County won it with a little team with a bunch of boys with crew cuts. Looked like they were straight out the Hoosiers movie.
triplemaniaman Wrote:any game at the morton combs athletic complex.

lol.
Im gonna go to 03 or 04 when Landon Slone was a freshman and he scored 50+ against Shelby Valley in like 2 or 3 OTs and it was a regional tournament game, mabey even the championship game. Shelby Valley won it though. Im sorry I dont have all the exacts I was only in 6th grade....lol
central fan Wrote:Im gonna go to 03 or 04 when Landon Slone was a freshman and he scored 50+ against Shelby Valley in like 2 or 3 OTs and it was a regional tournament game, mabey even the championship game. Shelby Valley won it though. Im sorry I dont have all the exacts I was only in 6th grade....lol

I was at the game and was stunned. Slone, as a freshman, almost beat Valley by himself. Definitely one of the best single game performances I've ever seen. Without a doubt the best by a freshman. IMO Slone was better his freshman year, than his other three.
2002- Perry played Whitesburg in Region after blowing them out a few weaks earlier and Whitesburg had just about as many people as Perry did and the game was played at Perry People where standing all over and line up around the court.I sometimes still get sick thinking about that game because that year we was 26-2. People
bac2369 Wrote:2002- Perry played Whitesburg in Region after blowing them out a few weaks earlier and Whitesburg had just about as many people as Perry did and the game was played at Perry People where standing all over and line up around the court.I sometimes still get sick thinking about that game because that year we was 26-2. People

Watched that game too. Wasen't as intense as other games I've seen, but it was a great game to watch. Perry Central players/fans was overconfident after that 25game win streak. After the game, you still couldn't believe they got beat. Whitesburge made it to the final 8 that year. They was destroyed in the second round. I mean it was around 50. I beleive it was the 3rd worst loss in sweet 16 history.
Baseball Man Wrote:RUPP ARENA in I think 1987, Clay Co. vs Ballard in the state final. The place was packed and everyone was pulling for the mountain team! It was awesome.

Holmes' head coach David Henley was the starting pg for that Clay Co team. :Thumbs:

But I'm pretty sure they played Henry Clay...not Ballard.
theshack13 Wrote:Holmes vs. Dixie this year. When Dixie lost by 3.

That game is no where near the level of some of the Covcath/Holmes battles from 04/05 to 07/08.

The overtime win by Holmes in the 07 region championship was absolutely crazy.

In 08, out at Conner, there wasn't an empty seat in the house and there were fans standing at both ends of the court as well...standing room only.

The Dixie-Holmes game this year isn't even in the same ball park as those two games.
Creeker Wrote:I remember watching him play in the State Tourney in 1995... A lot of good players that year. Awesome State Tourney... Breckinridge County won it with a little team with a bunch of boys with crew cuts. Looked like they were straight out the Hoosiers movie.

I went to every game that year and sat next to an older couple from breck. County... they had me rooting for them by the end of the week! Pat Critchilow (sp?) if I remember correctly.
Anytime that Lee Co and Powell Co play at Lee Co!! It gets crazy and pretty intense! Twice there has almost been on court brawls and unfortunatley there's almost always a fight or two out in the parking lot! I don't know anything much crazier than that!
I also want to add the 2005 57th District championship game.
Tolsia vs Tug Valley in the early 90s. Fights everywhere and even the homecoming queen got pepper sprayed.
Matman Wrote:Tolsia vs Tug Valley in the early 90s. Fights everywhere and even the homecoming queen got pepper sprayed.

funny story, but I think you are looking for MountainStateRivals
The Holmes fans 76-80 were second to none. The fieldhouse was full at all times. I mean to the rafters!!! Now days they are lucky to get the lower level filled. Usually dont. :popcorn:
1978 14th region final at Knott. Fleming Neon vs Knott Central. More than 6000 fans there. Melee breaks out over the entire floor during starting lineups after Neon coach throws a towel at the P A announcer. Deputy running around on the floor with gun drawn and pointed in the air.