Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For TRACK--what type of Shoes do you Train In?
What kind of shoes do you train in for track and field?

As a coach, I am a fan of the minimalist movement--therefore--I do most of my running in either Puma H-Streets or Nike Frees.

What is everyone else wearing? (And why?)
Personally I train in heavier shoes than that so that I get adjusted to them and then when its time for a meet I wear my lightweight shoes and it helps out.
I'm not sure what everyone else is wearing but I practice in the heaviest shoes I own. As a sprinter, I use the heaviest shoes i own so that when I take them off and put on those 5-6 oz cleats, they feel even lighter than before.
Here is something else for you to think about 17--

By going with something like H-Streets--you actually strengthen your achilles (which will not only prevent injury--but it will provide a noticable difference in foot strike, which then leads to quicker turnover--which eventually equates to more speed) and you also strengthen your foot and the lower leg muscles that normal training shoes actually weaken (because the heel on these shoes is usually way to high).

The key is transition--meaning that you gradually have to go to the lighter, Less built up shoes.

This is something that some of the "elites" have been trying for a while--with increased results.
Thanks for the info, I will definately remember this! Where can I find H cleats?
The funny thing about H-Streets is that you either have to find them at a lifestyle type store (like Journey's or something like that), or somewhere else on the internet.

Here is the Puma link (you can normally find them cheaper) http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/produc...e&siteid=1

Nike is also coming out with a new shoe (called the Nike Daycat) that takes the Free technology further (without the huge heel that the Frees currently have).
get heavy shoes and ankle wieghts... get pass the shin splints before you do anything
How long do you wear the ankle weights? I was told not to wear them longer than 30 minutes at a time.
"jcvolleychicks" Wrote:How long do you wear the ankle weights? I was told not to wear them longer than 30 minutes at a time.

I hope that you are not seriously considering wearing ankle weights when you run. This will do nothing but increase your chance for injury. All ankle weights will do is cause alignment issues with your legs, hips and back--and significantly decrease knee heighth.

Seriously--these Southwestern people have no clue what they are talking about. I would advise all of you who care about your future to quit listening to these jokers.

Ankle weights? Are you serious. Ask any national level coach--and see if they have had any of their runner wearing ankle weights. That is a definite recipe for injuries.
I have a pair of Nike Free 5.0 shoes and they are absolutley incredible!
oh no, i don't wear ankle weights but i just heard people say something about them and i wondered if they helped strengthen anything.
I run in lighter weight shoes to begin with and then spikes for a race... I mean, i could see why some of wear heavier shoes during practice, but i think that might hinder times (Probably not by that much though), therefore reducing preformance? what do you think KYHillBilly? :bounce:
"TheFuzz357" Wrote:I run in lighter weight shoes to begin with and then spikes for a race... I mean, i could see why some of wear heavier shoes during practice, but i think that might hinder times (Probably not by that much though), therefore reducing preformance? what do you think KYHillBilly? :bounce:

"TheFuzz" sounds like a HillBilly prodigy . . . . . .

The whole ankle weight argument was something that was completely baffling to begin with. Talking about setting yourself up for injury. Not to mention the fact that ankle weights are going to have an adverse affect on your stride--and--could definitely cause some alignment issues.

As I have said before--I am a minimalist. Wearing lightweight shoes that mimic barefoot running help to ensure that your foot falls in the correct manner. It also strengthens your achilles (which prevents injury and promotes speed development). Minimalism is also going to help to increase your turnover. (Which ankle weights will inhibit . . . )
i aint rich i run in what ever i got..lol
what about an athlete who has multiple events, such as running and jumping? is there one shoe you can get that will work well for both?
"jcvolleychicks" Wrote:what about an athlete who has multiple events, such as running and jumping? is there one shoe you can get that will work well for both?

Now, that is a good question.

For a high school athlete, I think that the key here would be to have 2 different pairs of shoes. Even if they are normal running shoes, you should have one pair that you do your running in and one pair that you do your jumping in.

The logic here is that running is one movement in your shoes that gives a very specific stress/wear pattern. Jumping is a completely different type of movement that can stress out shoes even more (due to the push off and impact of coming down from the jump).

For jumping--our kids are in their spikes/competition shoes 95% of the time for a very important reason: the approach. There is a definite difference between having your steps in the shoes that you compete with and a pair of training shoes that most likely weigh a LOT more. (That can really change your steps/approach).

At the very least, I would have 2 different pairs of shoes--one for jumping, one for running. And the ideal situation would be that you get to the point where you can do your jump training in your competition shoes.

I hope that helps . . . . .
Thanks for the help, but what kind of shoe would be good for the jumping events that i compete in? I high jump, long jump, and triple jump. I have been looking and i have found that there are different shoes for each jumping event. I know what shoes i want for my sprint but im not sure about my jumping events.
I train in Jump Soles
What are Jump Soles?
"jcvolleychicks" Wrote:What are Jump Soles?

In regard to your previous question--(not this one)

Check out the adidas website for "jump" specific shoes. They have a wide variety of jump shoes--high/triple/long . . . . . plus--some of the better spikes (I would stay away from Nike--which most people seem to gravitate towards)

Check out this link--it will lead you in the right direction:

http://www.dickpondathletics.com/shop.asp?CID=5&SID=49
i run in my reg. shoes because they are heavier.....and in a meet i wear my track shoes
I support the Nike Free's baby!
Last track season i practiced in shox this year i will probaly go with my imapacts. Like 17 said when you put your track cleats on the weight difference makes you feel like your barefoot then.
Does anyone actually use shox? If so--WHY?

Shox are about the worst shoes that you can put on your feet. It takes approximately 250 pounds of force pressure for these shoes to properly cushion/absorb shock. There are very few runners who weigh enough to apply that much pressure while they are running. Therefore, it is nearly the same as running barefooted on hard concrete.

Try something a little different (than Nike to begin with--with the exception of the Free). Nike running shoes are miserable.
I train in shox and impacts, i think the weight helps me with me being a little guy because my track-cleats are so light. My cleats are a lil under 8 oz. i think and are a sprint cleat from nike.
Trust me guys--this "extra weight" theory doesn't help you. In actuality--it hurts you.

It changes your stride length and slows your turn over. And--if you train that way--you are training your body that way. You may feel like you are going faster--but you are not.

You would do better to train in the lightest shoes possible (minimalist) and run your races in your spikes. You are TRAINING your legs with the correct stride length/duration and turnover.

If you don't believe me--try it for 2 weeks.

REMEMBER--there is a reason why college sprinters do ALL of the training in their spikes.