Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: Bears to retain Smith
Lovie Smith is expected to be retained as coach of the Chicago Bears, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The announcement is expected to come at a 3 p.m. ET news conference Tuesday.

The Bears had high hopes for 2009 after trading for quarterback Jay Cutler, but finished 7-9. Since going to Super Bowl XLI, where they lost to the Indianapolis Colts, the Bears are 23-25 and have missed the playoffs three straight seasons.

The Bears are 52-44 under Smith in the regular season and 2-2 in playoff games.

The Bears assistant coaches all went home at noon on Monday and were told to come back Tuesday morning, Schefter reported. Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo were meeting Monday evening, and Angelo was expected to inform Smith that he needs to make changes to his coaching staff.

Those changes began Tuesday, as the Chicago Tribune reported that the Bears fired offensive coordinator Ron Turner. And a league source told ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson that tight ends coach Rob Boras was let go.

Boras oversaw the team's tight ends starting in 2004, and in 2008 Desmond Clark and Greg Olsen combined for 95 catches, a franchise record for the position.

On Monday at Halas Hall, players expressed support for their head coach.
"I know that across the locker room that we think that he should be here," linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer said after a team meeting with Smith. "I'm under the impression that he will be. I certainly hope he will be. And that's the way he talked to us today."

Defensive end Adewale Ogunleye said he is confident Smith and his staff can get the Chicago Bears back to the Super Bowl.

"In this league, any coach can do it," Ogunleye said, adding that a coach needs a little bit of luck and the right players playing well. "At the end of the day, it comes on us as the players. We just weren't consistent enough."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/ne...id=4797298
Good. IMO, this season was not his fault. There was minimal you could do with a group of 2nd string players.
They sure don't seem to have a lot of talent.
Westside Wrote:They sure don't seem to have a lot of talent.
I'll agree and both sides of the ball. When the HC fires his staff, you can be assured that Management gave him the directive and/or he's next.

I wonder if they will make the same effort, to sign talent.
Yea the Bears are going to retain Smith, who was quoted saying he wants an OC that emphasises the run and a DC that runs the same scheme that the Bears use now.... Does this make any sense to anyone on here because it sure doesn't me. Smith wants to hire new people that do the same stuff the old people do. Yea way to change it up Lovie.....
When you hear that a HC has fired his staff, it usually a mandate from the brass. Then a press release is issued and spin control is rampant.

I agree with you, what schemes were ran last year didn't work.