Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Dr. Death" Steve Williams passes away
Williams dies; was 4-time All-American

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/stor...AHeadlines

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A former coach says Steve Williams, who wrestled professionally as "Dr. Death" after a successful college wrestling and football career, has died. He was 49.

Former University of Oklahoma wrestling coach Stan Abel says Williams' family told him Williams died Tuesday night in Lakewood, Colo., after a long battle with throat cancer.

Williams was a four-time All-American as a heavyweight at Oklahoma from 1979-1982 and finished second nationally his senior year. He was an All-Big Eight Conference offensive guard for Oklahoma in 1982.

Current OU wrestling coach Jack Spates called Williams "one of the greatest athletes that the University of Oklahoma has ever produced."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
Williams was one of the "legit" tough guy's in a land of make-believe. Many story's of bookers bringing in Williams to "straighten guys out". He had a reputation of being one of the most liked guys in the locker room yet if there was someone not wanting to do the "job" or was being careless in the ring, Steve would be booked with the one being difficult.

In the late 80's, during the peak of the Road Warriors, Hawk and Animal were running roughshod in the NWA and taking liberty's on a lot of guys in the ring to get their image of the toughest guys in the business. They literally had Ric Flair and his Four Horsemen entourage scared to death of them. Dusty Rhodes booked Williams and Sam Houston in a match with the Road Warriors with the purpose of teaching the boys a lesson. Before the match was completed, Road Warrior Animal (OSU and St. Louis Ram's James Laurenitus father) walked out of the match due to how badly Williams was stretching him. Needless to say, the Road Warriors walked a different line after that.

I remember watching him unsuccessfully get pushed in the WWF during Hogan's years. Hogan wanted nothing to do with Williams and would not let Vince book Williams as a villain because he knew that would mean the two would have to wrestle. Instead, Hogan always made sure he was a tag-team partner of the big man.

He was a legend in Japan where they booked him for 10 straight years without a loss.

The guy was a true Icon inside the business. He may not have had the acclaim to all fans, especially the northern fans, but this guy was one of the greats.
I remember when Bart Gunn knocked him out when the WWE had a tough man tourney. I bet in a street fight he was extremely tough. RIP
Westside Wrote:I remember when Bart Gunn knocked him out when the WWE had a tough man tourney. I bet in a street fight he was extremely tough. RIP

That was a work as they were building Gunn up for his PPV with Butterbean. Gunn apparently had a boxing background, so the WWE felt he could put a legit showing in a boxing type toughman contest with Butterbean. Butterbean destroyed Gunn, and Gunn basically was done after that.
He is one of the guys who would have had a great career in MMA had it been around when he graduated college, reminds me a lot of Josh Barnett.
NEXT Wrote:He is one of the guys who would have had a great career in MMA had it been around when he graduated college, reminds me a lot of Josh Barnett.

You are so right. He was also a football lineman that had a squat body. He would have been a bear to take off his feet.
Stardust Wrote:That was a work as they were building Gunn up for his PPV with Butterbean. Gunn apparently had a boxing background, so the WWE felt he could put a legit showing in a boxing type toughman contest with Butterbean. Butterbean destroyed Gunn, and Gunn basically was done after that.

I didn't know that. What are you saying? Wrestling is Fake????
Westside Wrote:I didn't know that. What are you saying? Wrestling is Fake????

Fake would mean it never happened. Pre-determined means the outcome was arranged prior to..... It's as fake as the Sonny Liston collapse to Ali (as the Mafia sat front row with guns in pockets) :biggrin:
It will always be real to me.
Amen Brother!
RIP to Dr Death! Hey Stardust he and Jim Ross were pretty tight werent they?
Is he any relation to "Stone Cold Steve Austin"? Whos name I also believe is Steve Willams.
Real Badman Wrote:Is he any relation to "Stone Cold Steve Austin"? Whos name I also believe is Steve Willams.

Great catch. No relation, but is the reason why Stone Cold had to make his moniker Steve Austin (because there was already a Steve Williams)
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:RIP to Dr Death! Hey Stardust he and Jim Ross were pretty tight werent they?

Two Oklahoma boys. Yes, they were very tight.
Rip