Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gammons leaving ESPN
Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN following the end of baseball's winter meetings this week.

Gammons, who joined ESPN in 1989 after a distinguished print journalism career with the Boston Globe and Sports Illustrated, has decided to pursue other endeavors.

"My decision to leave ESPN and move on at this point in my life has been conflicted," said Gammons in a statement. "I owe a great deal of my professional life to ESPN, having spent more than half of my 40 years in journalism working for the network, and the choice to move on was made with nothing but the strongest feelings for the people with whom I worked. ESPN gave me a great deal more than I gave it, and will always be a huge part of who I am."

Gammons, 64, was named the 2004 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Gammons said he is joining MLB Network. In addition, he will become an analyst and reporter for NESN, the regional sports network in New England affiliated with the owners of the Boston Red Sox.

"As a print journalist moving to television, Peter was a pioneer who became a Hall of Famer," said Norby Williamson, ESPN's executive vice president, production. "His contributions to ESPN will never be forgotten. We're sad to see Peter go, but understand his desire for new challenges and a less demanding schedule."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4725366"]Peter Gammons leaving ESPN baseball after 20 years - ESPN[/ame]
Probably one of the most respected t.v. analysts to cover baseball.
I hate to see this. I think hte stroke really took it out of him
him and Buster Onley are the only 2 that i like.
Peter Gammons is one of my favorite baseball analyst on ESPN, he will be missed on the wideworld of sports.
Sad to see him leave ESPN, he is and always will be the best baseball reporter to ever appear on ESPN and television. But, he will be working for NESN which is the local station for the Boston Red Sox in New England which is awesome! Glad to see him returning to his routs with my guys up in Boston!
Good luck
Hate to see him go. He is one of the few analyst that I really enjoy.
I really enjoyed him on ESPN. He was one of the best at finding that balance between being entertaining and at the same time intelligent and analytical on the air.