Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rose Hill to meet with KHSAA today 12/7
Until the KHSAA starts suspending and fining the offending coaches instead of punishing the kids their credibility is always going to be questioned.
here is one article from the daily independent i will post the other

MARK MAYNARD: Rose Hill image takes a hit 12/08/09
For the past decade, Rose Hill Christian School has been known — for better or worse — for its basketball.

If you played word association with almost anybody who has lived in the area since 2000 and said Rose Hill, the answer would be basketball. Or maybe O.J. Mayo.

Something tells me that’s not what they really want.

Rose Hill Christian School was founded in 1980 to offer a Christian education, an alternative to those who wanted it. There were no illusions of being a school where sports would one day be the most talked about thing in town.

It’s not wrong that Rose Hill has been good in basketball. The school has every right to field a competitive team and should want to do just that.

But they need to be above reproach in whatever they do, whether it is playing basketball or competing in academics. There should never be even the hint of improprieties in all things Rose Hill, and accountability starts at the top. They need to make sure all rules are followed, all i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed. They should never walk the tightrope between right and wrong.

For too long, those in charge have taken the attitude of the less they know the better when it comes to basketball. That’s not how it is today with Sharon Parsons, who is in her second year as administrator. But she has been left with cleaning up a mess that was not of her doing. On Parsons’ watch, in my opinion, Rose Hill will not be called into question again.

Rose Hill Christian School begins the process of rebuilding today — and I’m not talking about basketball.

Rose Hill needs to rebuild its image following the black eye it was given by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association on Monday.

After a long and exhaustive investigation, the KHSAA Board of Control unanimously accepted commissioner Brigid DeVries’ recommendation of a two-year postseason ban on boys basketball, a $6,000 fine and a three-year probation.

The ban on postseason is believed to be unprecedented but probably fitting since the investigation centered on boys’ basketball and no other sport. At least other sports weren’t punished for actions dealing with basketball.

It was the close to another sad chapter for Rose Hill since 2000 when basketball became too big to handle.

The success that came during the Mayo days was intoxicating for everyone involved. Those two years at Rose Hill, which included the school’s 2003 16th Region title, were some of the most exciting in area history. Fans were more interested in watching high school basketball than ever before.

But the sideshow that came with the Mayo days did more damage than good to Rose Hill’s reputation. It divided communities as Ashland-Rose Hill began a rivalry that bordered on dangerous. It damaged relationships in Rose Hill’s church. It put Rose Hill on the map, but only for basketball reasons.

Mayo left after two exciting yet tumultuous years and many who came to play with him followed. The catalyst of Russell’s regional championship team in 2005 came with former Rose Hill players. Other schools also benefited from transfers, including some who got players back who had earlier left their program.

When Mayo and others transferred, Rose Hill was left to pick up the pieces as a program in disarray. That was in the fall of 2003. There were some rough seasons ahead as outmanned Rose Hill absorbed lopsided loss after lopsided loss. The innocent suffered.

Tim Fraley took over as head coach after the 2003 season. He stayed for five seasons before being offered a similar job at Greenup County, where he was already a teacher.

During Fraley’s days at Rose Hill, the program rebounded with some other young stars in Dakotah Euton, who was at the school already, and Chad Jackson, Euton’s AAU teammate who transferred in from Lexington.

Euton and Jackson had Rose Hill back near the top of the heap and the fans came out of the woodwork again. It wasn’t quite like the Mayo days, but the support for the small Christian school was big.

Euton and Jackson transferred to Scott County after their freshmen seasons at Rose Hill. Clay Euton moved his family to Lexington after the office where he worked in Ashland closed. Jackson followed his friend to Georgetown.

But Rose Hill didn’t blink as John Bush took over for Fraley. The Royals were going strong with more young stars like freshmen Corey Gregg, a transfer from Pendleton County, and Mike Terry, who was already at the school. Mike Terry’s sister, Laura, helped take Rose Hill’s girls to back-to-back regional championships and a state runner-up finish in 2005.

However, a cloud of controversy covered the program as the KHSAA began investigating in January 2008 after receiving information from whistleblower Rodney Menshouse, a former Rose Hill church member whose children once attended the school.

He said his only motivation was to see that Rose Hill became the Christian school it intended to be.

Menshouse uncovered alleged violations, including that a player’s tuition had been paid, after doing his own investigating and turned everything over to the KHSAA. That’s where the organization’s investigation started although lead investigator Darren Billberry distanced himself from Menshouse during Monday’s meeting.

The investigation carried on for nearly two years before coming to the conclusion that Rose Hill did violate rules and would have to accept sanctions. The length of the investigation bordered on ludicrous and has done no one any favors, especially not Rose Hill. The rumors that have swirled reached a zenith this fall. There were whispers out of Lexington that Rose Hill was going to receive the so-called “death penalty,” where the sports program would be shut down.

Those rumors proved to be untrue but did start a mass exodus, where six high school players from last year’s team transferred to other area schools. All are eligible to play — four in Kentucky and two in Ohio. Bush also resigned as Rose Hill’s head coach.

Just like in 2003, when Mayo left the building, Rose Hill is left to pick up the pieces.

And as so often happens with these kinds of sanctions, from college to high school, the innocent are left to pay the price.

Rose Hill needs to learn from its mistakes, take control from the top and begin rebuilding its reputation in the community. The dark day is behind them.
Rose Hill hit with penalties
By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent
LEXINGTON — The Kentucky High School Athletic Association penalized Rose Hill Christian School on Monday for violations related to the boys basketball program.

Rose Hill received a three-year probation, two-year ban on boys basketball postseason play, and a $6,000 fine.

The KHSAA’s Board of Control unanimously accepted the recommendations of commissioner Brigid DeVries during the special meeting.

“It’s a goal of the association to have people follow the rules and regulations,’’ DeVries said.

The ruling ended an investigation that lasted almost two years.

Rose Hill was fined $1,000 each for violating Bylaws 10 (recruitment), 13 (financial aid), 6 (transfer rule — domestic students), 9 (practice of ineligible students), 17 (supplying information) and 1 (institutional control).

Much of the probe focused on alleged recruitment and financial aid violations involving Michael Fuller, who played for Rose Hill from 2004-07 while receiving the David Garnes Memorial Scholarship.

Fuller was given the scholarship that exceeded the limit allowed by the KHSAA.

During Monday’s meeting, it was also revealed that Rose Hill self-reported improper tuition payment for Corey Gregg for the 2008-09 school year. Gregg, now a sophomore, has transferred to Ashland.

“There is an expectation by the KHSAA board, staff and membership that each high school, though its principal and superintendent, have a level of institutional control that ensures compliance with the association constitution bylaws and policies,’’ DeVries said. “The investigation revealed that this was not the case at Rose Hill in this situation.’’

Prior to next school year, Rose Hill is required to certify to the commissioner and Board of Control that the school and all of its personnel are in full compliance with KHSAA Bylaws, rules and policies before the school’s membership in the KHSAA is renewed.

Also, Rose Hill must submit financial aid information for approval by KHSAA staff.

Board of Control President David Weedman advised Rose Hill to have policy manuals available for administrators, coaches and athletes “so that everybody knows what is expected of them.’’

At the same time, lead investigator Darren Billberry and several board members complimented Rose Hill administrator Sharon Parsons and principal Jerry Foster for their cooperation throughout the investigation.

“We have tried to report as best as we could any specifics that were asked,’’ Parsons told the board. “We are doing our best to make the changes necessary.’’

Parsons came on the job in the fall of 2008 and has since worked to get Rose Hill on the right track with the KHSAA.

“It has taken a lot of time to get clarification for things, to understand the compliance issues,’’ she said.

After Monday’s ruling, Parsons met with various groups at Rose Hill including the boys basketball team. Her son, Ethan, is a senior player.

“As a school, we are looking to move past this,’’ she said. “We are looking forward to the future.’’

Rose Hill athletic director Jerry Klaiber attended the meeting and voiced his objection to the ban on postseason competition for the 2009-10 and 20010-11 seasons.

“You are penalizing people that were not involved,’’ Klaiber said. “These are kids that were in grade school (at the time). It’s not fair to suspend them from postseason play.’’
Squid Wrote:From the thread started by Strikeout King:
The Royals were found to have violated KHSAA bylaws 10 (recruitment), 13 (financial aid), 6 (transfer rule — domestic students), 9 (other eligibility requirements and regulations), 17 (supplying information) and 1 (responsibility for eligibility).

See, Truth - this is why you have no credibility. You give us only part of the story, by implying (if not openly stating) that the only infraction is the awarding of the scholarship. You use that premise to paint the KHSAA as ludicrously out of touch, and horribly harsh in their treatment of the poor, pitiful victims at Rose Hill.

Now we see that, in reality, the punishment is levied for a series of transgressions, and not solely based on the awarding of the scholarship.

I still see the punishment as unduly harsh for the kids that remained at Rose Hill, but in light of the findings listed above, it is justified (at least, in my opinion) for the school, its administration, and the program as a whole.

Let the spin cycle begin, Truth. Show us, once again, how you were lily white in this debacle, and the bad guys on Blazer Blvd. are responsible for your woes.

I only wish I could sell tickets to this soap opera. I could retire tomorrow.

Now, tighten up those maroon shorts, Squid, and lets look at what we have here. The information reported by the media, etc. up until yesterday was centered entirely around Fuller receiving the Garnes Scholarship. As I read the newspaper today (We all depend upon it for our information, don't we?), it appears that all the findings of KHSAA arise out of the Fuller-Garnes matter except for two.

It appears that the violations of By-Laws 1, 10, 13, and 17 have as their basis the Garnes-Fuller matter. If you think otherwise offer some facts to the contrary (Facts always trump smart remarks).

One of the other two violations stems from the allegations from former employees of the school that JD Adams practiced with the team while ineligible. The weight of the evidence indicates otherwise but KHSAA chose emails over sworn affidavits and, after all, the facts are whatever they choose to believe. The second, a self-reporting concerning Gregg, also deals with the fact that Gregg was one of several students who received the Garnes Scholarship last school year. So, the truth is that most everything, including the taped message, revolve around the Garnes Scholarship in one manner or the other.

I'm not playing the victim card for anyone. KHSAA concluded that Rose Hill broke its rules. Rose Hill had the choice of accepting the conclusions of KHSAA, taking the matter to the more independent court system, or dropping out of KHSAA. While I would have recommended a different approach, the school has apparently decided to stay in KHSAA and take its punishment.

But, then, like you, I only know what I read or hear.
Truth Wrote:Now, tighten up those maroon shorts, Squid, and lets look at what we have here. The information reported by the media, etc. up until yesterday was centered entirely around Fuller receiving the Garnes Scholarship. As I read the newspaper today (We all depend upon it for our information, don't we?), it appears that all the findings of KHSAA arise out of the Fuller-Garnes matter except for two.

It appears that the violations of By-Laws 1, 10, 13, and 17 have as their basis the Garnes-Fuller matter. If you think otherwise offer some facts to the contrary (Facts always trump smart remarks).

One of the other two violations stems from the allegations from former employees of the school that JD Adams practiced with the team while ineligible. The weight of the evidence indicates otherwise but KHSAA chose emails over sworn affidavits and, after all, the facts are whatever they choose to believe. The second, a self-reporting concerning Gregg, also deals with the fact that Gregg was one of several students who received the Garnes Scholarship last school year. So, the truth is that most everything, including the taped message, revolve around the Garnes Scholarship in one manner or the other.

I'm not playing the victim card for anyone. KHSAA concluded that Rose Hill broke its rules. Rose Hill had the choice of accepting the conclusions of KHSAA, taking the matter to the more independent court system, or dropping out of KHSAA. While I would have recommended a different approach, the school has apparently decided to stay in KHSAA and take its punishment.

But, then, like you, I only know what I read or hear.

The longer I read your posts, the more scarce the truth seems to be within them. I think it's high time that Rob Barber be patted on the back for getting this thing started. He surely has restored his name amongst his Ashland friends who have long known the sham that has gone on across the road. He moreless urged Menshouse to be the Don Quixote and fight the Rose Hill windmill. And email after exhausting email after taped phone conversations have finally put the witch to sleep. Hate if for the kids, hate it that the true culprits have no penalty to pay. But perhaps Rose Hill can make enough changes to do things the right way from now on.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Rose Hill deserves what they got

So I guess your Red Devils have never broke the so called rules. I seem to remember a few years ago when all the players left ( from Rose Hill) and went to Russell and somehow some got eligible by faking a move(Vanhoose) along with some others to different schools. So Do I believe there were some problems at Rose Hill yes I do but I don't think they warrant a 2 year suspension in post season play. The KHSAA is punishing the kids that have no dog in this fight. And if JD Adams practiceing with the team before being eligible is one of the violations then that violation has no merit in light of the recent ruling of Gregg and Bush being eligible at Ashland. :please:
ASHGRAD Wrote:So I guess your Red Devils have never broke the so called rules. I seem to remember a few years ago when all the players left ( from Rose Hill) and went to Russell and somehow some got eligible by faking a move(Vanhoose) along with some others to different schools. So Do I believe there were some problems at Rose Hill yes I do but I don't think they warrant a 2 year suspension in post season play. The KHSAA is punishing the kids that have no dog in this fight. And if JD Adams practiceing with the team before being eligible is one of the violations then that violation has no merit in light of the recent ruling of Gregg and Bush being eligible at Ashland. :please:

Why wouldn't it have merit? Bush and Gregg did not practice with ashland's team prior to being ruled eligible. The KHSAA obviously found enough proof to believe that JD Adams did practive illegally with Rose Hill.
ASHGRAD Wrote:So I guess your Red Devils have never broke the so called rules. I seem to remember a few years ago when all the players left ( from Rose Hill) and went to Russell and somehow some got eligible by faking a move(Vanhoose) along with some others to different schools. So Do I believe there were some problems at Rose Hill yes I do but I don't think they warrant a 2 year suspension in post season play. The KHSAA is punishing the kids that have no dog in this fight. And if JD Adams practiceing with the team before being eligible is one of the violations then that violation has no merit in light of the recent ruling of Gregg and Bush being eligible at Ashland. :please:

Well, you're point is without merit with regards to the Adams practicing with the team. I will tenderly assume that you are referring to the fact that Gregg and Bush attended open gyms at Raceland and others. If I'm correct in that assumption, there is no rule against that. In fact, you and I could have attended, hence the word "open". Of course, I'd have taken you to the rack if that had occurred, but that is for another thread.:dontthink
What I meant to say is that If Gregg and Bush are eligible now then Jd Adams should have been eligible to play at Rose Hill Last year. I may not have worded it the best.
ASHGRAD Wrote:What I meant to say is that If Gregg and Bush are eligible now then Jd Adams should have been eligible to play at Rose Hill Last year. I may not have worded it the best.

On this, we agree.
Truth Wrote:... The information reported by the media,
Are you running some kind of comedy show? YOU are the one that continuously writes that YOU are in the know, and YOU tell the TRUTH. Now, when it's convenient, you are going to tell us that your source of information is the media? Now, THAT, my friend, is convenient.

Truth Wrote:... except for two.
Truth Wrote:... It appears ...
Truth Wrote:... most everything ...
Truth Wrote:... in one manner or the other ...
Gee, what happened to all of the certainty that you based your entire argument on, when you wrote:
Truth Wrote:It seems a bit harsh when you consider the stated "sin" was allowing the grieving Garnes family to give a scholarship to the best friend of their deceased son.

Truth Wrote:The weight of the evidence indicates otherwise but KHSAA chose emails over sworn affidavits and, after all, the facts are whatever they choose to believe.
It is hard to understand, since you have all of the facts and all of the truth, that anyone would ever choose not to believe you. It would appear that what you consider to be the "weight of the evidence" really isn't all that heavy, after all.

Truth Wrote:I'm not playing the victim card for anyone.
If you aren't, it will be the first time.

Truth Wrote:KHSAA concluded that Rose Hill broke its rules. Rose Hill had the choice of accepting the conclusions of KHSAA, taking the matter to the more independent court system, or dropping out of KHSAA. While I would have recommended a different approach, the school has apparently decided to stay in KHSAA and take its punishment.
It would appear that Rose Hill feels that they have previously received some bad legal advice. Maybe they've chosen to listen to a different counsel, based on past experience.

Truth Wrote:But, then, like you, I only know what I read or hear.
... and yet, you claim to know all the facts - unless you need to cover your backside.
Did Rose Hill break any of the KHSAA rules? The answer is a simple yes or no.

If yes, then no one should be complaining with what the KHSAA has determined. If no, then hire an attorney and start the process to finanical bliss.
OU812 Wrote:The longer I read your posts, the more scarce the truth seems to be within them. I think it's high time that Rob Barber be patted on the back for getting this thing started. He surely has restored his name amongst his Ashland friends who have long known the sham that has gone on across the road. He moreless urged Menshouse to be the Don Quixote and fight the Rose Hill windmill. And email after exhausting email after taped phone conversations have finally put the witch to sleep. Hate if for the kids, hate it that the true culprits have no penalty to pay. But perhaps Rose Hill can make enough changes to do things the right way from now on.

Some excellent points, OU.

I don't know Mr. Menshouse, but after learning where he fits in all of this, he has my respect and admiration.

I wish the new principal (Ms. Parsons) nothing but the best. She has inherited a mess, not of her own making, but she is tasked with the cleanup. It is a job more fitting for a Hazmat team, and I truly hope that she can work her way through it. May she have the strength of Samson, the wisdom of King Solomon, and the patience of Job.
What really surprises me is that not any of the Hillites have a "Lex Luther" avatar to fight off the Super Squid.
OU812 Wrote:... Of course, I'd have taken you to the rack if that had occurred, but that is for another thread.:dontthink

Personally, I've always had the most success when I post up against far lesser talented people than myself.

On second thought, there really aren't very many people that would fall into that group, so maybe I'd be better off just staying out on the perimeter ...
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:... then hire an attorney and start the process to finanical bliss.

It looks like Rose Hill may have discovered that free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:What really surprises me is that not any of the Hillites have a "Lex Luther" avatar to fight off the Super Squid.

ROFLMAO.

I guess the local supply of green kryptonite is running low.
I have a lot of envy towards rose hill they got 2 players sisters from russell who lived in the russell district and left for selfish reasons because one of the sisters had bad sportsmanship after a game against west carter and coach punished her and she and her sister left like the cry baby she was. What does that really teach your kids to leave for another school just because your kid was a bad sport and got punished. Coach kidwell did the right thing
Why do you think Russell never plays rose hill in regular season basketball because the schools don't like each other very well either.

I would consider Russell as "clean" as anyone in the region. If my memory serves me correctly, they have had only two "real" transfers as in the last 5 years as defined by KHSAA guidelines. You are not a transfer if you change schools prior to high school, so that only leaves Robinson who did not play the year before he came to Russell and Ross who moved from Carroll County.
Russell has been fortunate to get some kids choosing to go to High School there from day one., but that has nothing to do with KHSAA rules.
Dejave

You may need to remember back to Russells trip to Rupp. I remember who was on that team and where he played before he he came to Russell.

I agree about the girls who came to Rose Hill they did leave Russell for the wrong reasons, but they did sit out a year before they were eligible to play.
Coach Kidwell is a class act and had good reason for punishment.
Now, Squid, you can post whatever you choose. It is all part of the game and I would assume that you, as do I, take no personal offense and actually find the back and forth quite amusing. However, I must draw the line when you refer to me as your friend. I find that to be completely without a scintilla of truth. But, I will be gracious and take judicial notice of your attempts at legaleze.

Still, go ahead and pull up those little maroon shorts and trudge on. It's all part of the amusement.
While I'm aligned with no particular school in this discussion, the posturing by Ashlanders vs. Hillites vs. Russellites will do nothing but bring animosity amongst the schools, it's fans and ultimately the kids. I suppose there's not one who would take the high road. For Rose Hill I would suggest that those in that corner accept the blame and stop shifting it to extenuating circumstances, ect.. And for Ashland folk, I would suggest that the poison darts that are flying across the net not only do damage amongst the community, but only serves as another reason for those around the region to cast an unreasonable perception of arrogance on the whole when it's simply not true with few exceptions. As for Russell, I'd keep my nose out of it, lest you'd like to rehash the Dodd/BigSandy Superstore days. It's over and I wonder how long it will take to be a back page story.

And lastly, I truly wish all the kids that have suffered through this debacle the best. I wish those who were granted eligiblity the best in their careers. And especially those who remain at Rose Hill. High school goes by in a blink, I hope that this drama can be put behind all of you and you come out on the other end much stronger for having endured it.:Thumbs:
OU812 Wrote:While I'm aligned with no particular school in this discussion, the posturing by Ashlanders vs. Hillites vs. Russellites will do nothing but bring animosity amongst the schools, it's fans and ultimately the kids. I suppose there's not one who would take the high road. For Rose Hill I would suggest that those in that corner accept the blame and stop shifting it to extenuating circumstances, ect.. And for Ashland folk, I would suggest that the poison darts that are flying across the net not only do damage amongst the community, but only serves as another reason for those around the region to cast an unreasonable perception of arrogance on the whole when it's simply not true with few exceptions. As for Russell, I'd keep my nose out of it, lest you'd like to rehash the Dodd/BigSandy Superstore days. It's over and I wonder how long it will take to be a back page story.

And lastly, I truly wish all the kids that have suffered through this debacle the best. I wish those who were granted eligiblity the best in their careers. And especially those who remain at Rose Hill. High school goes by in a blink, I hope that this drama can be put behind all of you and you come out on the other end much stronger for having endured it.:Thumbs:

I agree with you on this one.
OU812 Wrote:While I'm aligned with no particular school in this discussion, the posturing by Ashlanders vs. Hillites vs. Russellites will do nothing but bring animosity amongst the schools, it's fans and ultimately the kids. I suppose there's not one who would take the high road. For Rose Hill I would suggest that those in that corner accept the blame and stop shifting it to extenuating circumstances, ect.. And for Ashland folk, I would suggest that the poison darts that are flying across the net not only do damage amongst the community, but only serves as another reason for those around the region to cast an unreasonable perception of arrogance on the whole when it's simply not true with few exceptions. As for Russell, I'd keep my nose out of it, lest you'd like to rehash the Dodd/BigSandy Superstore days. It's over and I wonder how long it will take to be a back page story.

By far the best post I have seen so far.
OU812, everyone on here has a right to an opinion and there are i'm sure alot of us besides me who don't like rose hill. I don't mind any other school in this region even our most heated rivals greenup, raceland, and ashland but I don't like rose hill and its my right to say so.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:OU812, everyone on here has a right to an opinion and there are i'm sure alot of us besides me who don't like rose hill. I don't mind any other school in this region even our most heated rivals greenup, raceland, and ashland but I don't like rose hill and its my right to say so.

Okay, reddevils. Some simply can't keep their traps shut and thusly bring more scrutiny on their schools. I don't care if you like Rose Hill or not. Frankly, with all the Russell slant on here, I'm sure that the Red Devils aren't topping many lists either. My point is that it does no one any good, and I mean not nary a soul, to sling mud on one another, especially when the penalty has been passed down. You can chirp about the fact that Russell dealt correctly with the Faulkners, and I agree that this is true, but there were no rules broken because they sat out a year. I won't go in to anymore detail over any of Russell's transgressions because it wouldn't do anyone any good. This is an open forum, have at it. Make the mudpie a little bigger.
OU812 Wrote:Okay, reddevils. Some simply can't keep their traps shut and thusly bring more scrutiny on their schools. I don't care if you like Rose Hill or not. Frankly, with all the Russell slant on here, I'm sure that the Red Devils aren't topping many lists either. My point is that it does no one any good, and I mean not nary a soul, to sling mud on one another, especially when the penalty has been passed down. You can chirp about the fact that Russell dealt correctly with the Faulkners, and I agree that this is true, but there were no rules broken because they sat out a year. I won't go in to anymore detail over any of Russell's transgressions because it wouldn't do anyone any good. This is an open forum, have at it. Make the mudpie a little bigger.

just like you don't care what i think i don't care what you think so its that simple.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:just like you don't care what i think i don't care what you think so its that simple.

Simple. Well put.
Taping ankles is good work. It keeps the hands from becoming idle and keeps people out of trouble.