•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Johnson Central the 2nd Best Team in 5A?
BillyB Wrote:[quote=Mr.Kimball]

What NKy teams (other than HHS and CovCath) has JC played? The only other NKy team that I could imagine is Holmes and that had to be in the 1st round.

Connor in a non playoff game.In the playoffs, they have played CovCath in '08 and '09. Also Holmes in '08 and Scott in '09. Obviously HHS in the finals in both '08 and '09.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Oh, so you want to deduct the fumbles and not count the penalties huh?:biggrin:

Exactly how many times did Highlands score in the second half when they didn't gain possession from JC (for various reasons) inside the JC 26 yard line? That was zero, wasn't it? That's the whole entire 2nd half now. Isn't that right? And they far from "played bend but dont break" in the first half. That just did not happen at all. Name one time when JC was moving the ball, that they held them scoreless. That just didn't happen. I would say that there were more than a few stunned birds going into the locker room at the half. Say whatever you want, but I'm 100% right on that. I will more tend to agree with you concerning the 2nd half however. But you cant make any of those claims regarding the 1st half. Bad as that may hurt some of ya'lls egos.

And yeah, I would think that moving at will in the first half is a pretty good assessment. Moving at will does not necessarily mean you have to throw the ball for 30 yards a clip, does it? Or breaking one for 60, as Collinsworth did? Yes, I would consider that as all moving at will, but I would also say that 5-10yards a clip on the ground qualifies as being that just as well.

How many times did JC punt the ball in the first half and how many times did they turn it over on downs? Right off, I cant remember but maybe one punt and I dont think they had an 4 down turnovers. Correct me in need be. Heck, I dont know, maybe they didn't even have to punt either. I cant remember.

I will totally agree with you that it is extremely hard to overcome being in a deep hole with our offense. Even Matney acknowledges that.

Did you even watch the game? This post is filled with so many inaccurate statements. And stunned at half time?, I dought it. The vast majority expected a close first half with HHS taking over in the second half. HHS also realized that without the pass interference that JC only scores 7 in the first half. And when deep in JC's territory on (I Think 2nd or 3rd Possesion) if they do not have a dumb pentalty the score at least 3 pts. I know penalties are part of the game, but at half they knew if they came out without the mistakes, that they could take over the game; not stunned though.
Why does it matter if they were number 2, 3, 10, 39? The team that wins the State title is the only one that matters because they prove they are #1 and it is not debatable IMO.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

sstack Wrote:Did you even watch the game? This post is filled with so many inaccurate statements. And stunned at half time?, I dought it. The vast majority expected a close first half with HHS taking over in the second half. HHS also realized that without the pass interference that JC only scores 7 in the first half. And when deep in JC's territory on (I Think 2nd or 3rd Possesion) if they do not have a dumb pentalty the score at least 3 pts. I know penalties are part of the game, but at half they knew if they came out without the mistakes, that they could take over the game; not stunned though.

Like what? None that I can see.

Like I said, there is no need for any of you Highlands guys to get so defensive. The obvious is well, the obvious concerning HHS. I have acknowledgee those facts along with everyone else.

But the truth is the truth is the truth. Sometimes that does hurts feelings of those that are sensitive though. In this case, I cant for the life of me figure out why.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Why does it matter if they were number 2, 3, 10, 39? The team that wins the State title is the only one that matters because they prove they are #1 and it is not debatable IMO.

Not much else to talk about I guess. Sorta like you guys at Breathitt Co. right now.

Does beat those always fascinating, "What are you listening to now" threads though, dont it?
oneijoe Wrote:No, you completely missed his point. He's saying personel is THE biggest difference-maker for Highlands. And to a certain extent, I agree.

HHS gets way more than its fair share of football talent in the southern Cincy metro area, much like X and T does in Louisville. I'm NOT speaking about any "right or wrong" in that, but simply it is what it is.

The thing I would point out, however... If Central had not consistantly messed itself up in year's past, the Eagles could very well have been in a position today much like Highlands currently enjoys.

But to the GOOD.... I am so glad the "messing itself up" appear to be over. Central's early season recovery this year will go a looong way in establishing the character of its program. I look forward to the coming years for Johnson Central...

:Clap:

I have read this same statement by you in another thread and it is a bold faced lie!!! Name 1 kid on this years team who is not from Fort Thomas!! Don't spread lies about us just because you can't compete with us!!!:ChairHit::ChairHit::ChairHit::please:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Not much else to talk about I guess. Sorta like you guys at Breathitt Co. right now.

Does beat those always fascinating, "What are you listening to now" threads though, dont it?
Breathitt did not earn the right to be considered #1 this season, just as JC, no big deal. To me, who is second best does not matter, especially when there is a playoff and the #1 spot is earned.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Breathitt did not earn the right to be considered #1 this season, just as JC, no big deal. To me, who is second best does not matter, especially when there is a playoff and the #1 spot is earned.

Come on man, lighten up!!!!

It'll all end up being OK.
Pride and Football Wrote:Many of you all have debated in the highlands-John Hardin thread that JCHS was the best team highlands played all year, so lets just talk it up in here, and let that thread discuss championship game.TongueirateSho

St. X was the best team that Highlands faced this year. The Withrow game was fun to watch, probably more so than JC. JC did nothing in the second half so the game was pretty much finished at the end of the half.
It's one game too early for this debate. If Highlands dominates John Hardin start to finish, then I would say that JC could make a good claim for the #2 spot. Otherwise, several teams will have as good or better claim at the #3 spot.

I am really looking forward to next season, when I think JC has the potential of fielding its best team in school history.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's one game too early for this debate. If Highlands dominates John Hardin start to finish, then I would say that JC could make a good claim for the #2 spot. Otherwise, several teams will have as good or better claim at the #3 spot.

I am really looking forward to next season, when I think JC has the potential of fielding its best team in school history.

I agree, the only way to tell is by playing these teams and no prize is given for 2cd place. What matters is next year. The NKY fans can brag about Highlands all they want this year, but we all know when they hear the name JC they get a lump in their throut and an know they will have a good game. JC will have a powerhouse next year and has the potential for a State Contender. It will be inetersting to see what is being discussed a year from today.
MonsterMan Wrote:I agree, the only way to tell is by playing these teams and no prize is given for 2cd place. What matters is next year. The NKY fans can brag about Highlands all they want this year, but we all know when they hear the name JC they get a lump in their throat and an know they will have a good game. JC will have a powerhouse next year and has the potential for a State Contender. It will be inetersting to see what is being discussed a year from today.

:thatsfunn:lmao::thatsfunn

42 - 14 with 13 seconds to go in the game.
MonsterMan Wrote:I agree, the only way to tell is by playing these teams and no prize is given for 2cd place. What matters is next year. The NKY fans can brag about Highlands all they want this year, but we all know when they hear the name JC they get a lump in their throut and an know they will have a good game. JC will have a powerhouse next year and has the potential for a State Contender. It will be inetersting to see what is being discussed a year from today.

Well I thought I was done, but just couldn't stand it when I saw this post. Some of the JC folks are starting to remind me of some of the Cov. Cath. faithful who can't stand the fact their team is done, finished ect... The lump in the throat if it comes at all is from watching the most boring football in the entire state. I blame your coach for that not your players. In the game against Highlands your coach was the like the prize fighter who is getting his clocked cleaned and constantly goes over and grabs the ropes for relief.
Did JC not have a powerhouse this year?
And in all reality next year never really comes.
You guys will run the same offense next year with the same result and your record next year will be 12-1.
Blau Vogel Wrote::thatsfunn:lmao::thatsfunn

42 - 14 with 13 seconds to go in the game.

Enjoy your fun and talk while it lasts! I know you will say HHS is going to be good forever, but look what is leaving you this year! There is Black Thunder rumbling in the mountians and you know it. You know we are gonna get ya, just ask CCHS. The group we have coming back has seen you all two years as underclassmen and are not intimidated. Enjoy your fun and talk for another week.
NCC41 Wrote:Well I thought I was done, but just couldn't stand it when I saw this post. Some of the JC folks are starting to remind me of some of the Cov. Cath. faithful who can't stand the fact their team is done, finished ect... The lump in the throat if it comes at all is from watching the most boring football in the entire state. I blame your coach for that not your players. In the game against Highlands your coach was the like the prize fighter who is getting his clocked cleaned and constantly goes over and grabs the ropes for relief.
Did JC not have a powerhouse this year?
And in all reality next year never really comes.
You guys will run the same offense next year with the same result and your record next year will be 12-1.

Where were the CovCath faithful whining and complaining? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

I do however agree with you on JC. Their offense is much different than what we normally see in NKY. Even across the river the triple option run by Colerain is significantly different than JC Belly option.

For JC to take it to the next level, they need to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball. The reality is Highlands could have ( and pretty much did) score at will. They barely threw the ball at all. With Toweles coming back and the normal crew of Highlands skill players (Gold, Abner, Bruns etc.) I have a feeling next years Highlands team will look like Air Corell.

I have no doubt JC will be an offensive juggernaut next year, but unless the defense that gave up an average of 38 points a game in the playoff's, gets significantly better, I don't see you going any farther than you did this year.
MonsterMan Wrote:I agree, the only way to tell is by playing these teams and no prize is given for 2cd place. What matters is next year. The NKY fans can brag about Highlands all they want this year, but we all know when they hear the name JC they get a lump in their throut and an know they will have a good game. JC will have a powerhouse next year and has the potential for a State Contender. It will be inetersting to see what is being discussed a year from today.

Sorry MM, while I am one of the Highlands fans that is the most supportive and positive about JC, I do not get a lump in my throat when I hear the name JC. Not close. I do however know that JC has given us good games. Definitely agree with you there. Because of the style of play of JC you know it's always going to be a hard hitting game and that we have to take advantage of every offensive opportunity, because JC keeps possession of the ball for long periods.

If and when JC develops a more diverse offense and if and when Matney puts as much emphasis on defense as he seemingly does on offense, then I may develop that lump you refer to. But for now, the offensive style means that JC can't afford to make any mistakes on O (which is a lot to expect from teenage boys) and that they can't come back if they are two touchdowns down late in the game. But for now, the defense is simply not able to defend the pass and doesn't defend the run extremely well. Based on my assessment of having watched JC play Highlands the last two years, watching them play Ashland this year and watching them on tape against about 5 or 6 teams, I don't have that lump yet. It may happen down the road, but not yet. Hope you don't take offense to the above, that's just how I see it.

Having said that, I know that JC should have another very good team next year. Lots of very players returning in the back field. What we don't know yet is who will replace all the graduating linemen and whether they will be good enough to propel JC to another very good year. It's nice to have great running backs, but it's the linemen that make them great. Hopefully JC can develop those linemen and hopefully Highlands will be good enough so that there can be another playoff game between these two teams. Looking forward to it; not dreading it at all. Yet! :biggrin:
charlie22 Wrote:Sorry MM, while I am one of the Highlands fans that is the most supportive and positive about JC, I do not get a lump in my throat when I hear the name JC. Not close. I do however know that JC has given us good games. Definitely agree with you there. Because of the style of play of JC you know it's always going to be a hard hitting game and that we have to take advantage of every offensive opportunity, because JC keeps possession of the ball for long periods.

If and when JC develops a more diverse offense and if and when Matney puts as much emphasis on defense as he seemingly does on offense, then I may develop that lump you refer to. But for now, the offensive style means that JC can't afford to make any mistakes on O (which is a lot to expect from teenage boys) and that they can't come back if they are two touchdowns down late in the game. But for now, the defense is simply not able to defend the pass and doesn't defend the run extremely well. Based on my assessment of having watched JC play Highlands the last two years, watching them play Ashland this year and watching them on tape against about 5 or 6 teams, I don't have that lump yet. It may happen down the road, but not yet. Hope you don't take offense to the above, that's just how I see it.

Having said that, I know that JC should have another very good team next year. Lots of very players returning in the back field. What we don't know yet is who will replace all the graduating linemen and whether they will be good enough to propel JC to another very good year. It's nice to have great running backs, but it's the linemen that make them great. Hopefully JC can develop those linemen and hopefully Highlands will be good enough so that there can be another playoff game between these two teams. Looking forward to it; not dreading it at all. Yet! :biggrin:

Well said.
I beleive they were
MonsterMan Wrote:Enjoy your fun and talk while it lasts! I know you will say HHS is going to be good forever, but look what is leaving you this year! There is Black Thunder rumbling in the mountians and you know it. You know we are gonna get ya, just ask CCHS. The group we have coming back has seen you all two years as underclassmen and are not intimidated. Enjoy your fun and talk for another week.

You are right, Highlands is not good every year, just every other year on average, for the last 50 since there have been playoffs. They average a championship game about every other year (24 in 50 years) and a championship win about 37% of the time. (18 in 49 years, hopefully 19 in 50) The longest dry spell without a championship is 6 seasons. The Birds don't get lumps in their throats, they give them.

You say they lose a lot this year and you are right. I think 23 players will graduate this year. Look for next year's team to not skip a beat. The seniors to be on the current JV squad have played about 25 varsity quarters this year alone, along with their usual JV schedule. In addition, because Highlands has been to 3 straight finals, they have had 15 weeks of additional practice going into their senior year. That is an extra year and a half of practice time based on a ten game season.

The passing game next year has the potential to rival the Lorenzen/Guidugli years.
Nobody does this football playoffs thing better than Highlands, St. Xavier and Trinity, which have combined to win 48 state championships in 60 title-game appearances over the last 50 years.

When they take the field in the post-season, their opponents are usually at a disadvantage not just physically, but also mentally. When one team has a big edge in tradition, games are sometimes won by mind games even before the opening kickoff.

http://www.kentucky.com/289/story/1036219.html
Blau Vogel Wrote:You are right, Highlands is not good every year, just every other year on average, for the last 50 since there have been playoffs. They average a championship game about every other year (24 in 50 years) and a championship win about 37% of the time. (18 in 49 years, hopefully 19 in 50) The longest dry spell without a championship is 6 seasons. The Birds don't get lumps in their throats, they give them.

You say they lose a lot this year and you are right. I think 23 players will graduate this year. Look for next year's team to not skip a beat. The seniors to be on the current JV squad have played about 25 varsity quarters this year alone, along with their usual JV schedule. In addition, because Highlands has been to 3 straight finals, they have had 15 weeks of additional practice going into their senior year. That is an extra year and a half of practice time based on a ten game season.

The passing game next year has the potential to rival the Lorenzen/Guidugli years.

2007 HHS 15-0 State Champs...2008 14-1 HHS State Champs...2009 15-0 State Champs. Yep that "down year" of 2008 has tarnished the Bluebird reputation!! :Clap:
BillyB Wrote:St. X was the best team that Highlands faced this year. The Withrow game was fun to watch, probably more so than JC. JC did nothing in the second half so the game was pretty much finished at the end of the half.

And of those 3 schools how many are 5A?
Getting the thread back on topic, I'd put 5A like this...

1.Highlands
2.John Hardin
3.Bowling Green
4.Christian County
5.Anderson County
6.Owensboro
7.Johnson Central
I don't think JC was that good this year. The way JC play if they get ahead in the game, with the O they run. It keep the ball away from the other team. But when they get behide in a game, it is harder for teams like that to come back for the win.
I think PCC would give them a game this year. LCC and Pulaski Co. would have beat them, and maybe Whitley Co would have to.
The teams JC play this year that was any good, beat them. The only team that they play that i though would beat them was CovCath.
By going by the score of the Highland/JC game. That don't mean nothing, By what i heard on the radio, JC was playing there hearts out, and still get beat 42-21.
MonsterMan Wrote:NKY fans can brag about Highlands all they want this year, but we all know when they hear the name JC they get a lump in their throut and an know they will have a good game.

:please:You're dreaming. When I hear Johnson Central mentioned I think of Kody Rosenhagen finally getting the chance to run the ball like he always wanted to do on the green team. Keep talking and that will change. I'll start thinking about how delusional some of the fans are about a team with a one dimensional offense and a suspect defense. They gave Highlands ONE decent game over two years, half this year and half last year.
Can you dig it? Wrote::please:You're dreaming. When I hear Johnson Central mentioned I think of Kody Rosenhagen finally getting the chance to run the ball like he always wanted to do on the green team. Keep talking and that will change. I'll start thinking about how delusional some of the fans are about a team with a one dimensional offense and a suspect defense. They gave Highlands ONE decent game over two years, half this year and half last year.

Considering that Highlands gets kids from surronding 10 counties and different states. I think that JC does pretty good. I can promise u that Highlands felt the effects of JC on that saturday.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Considering that Highlands gets kids from surronding 10 counties and different states. I think that JC does pretty good. I can promise u that Highlands felt the effects of JC on that saturday.

Wow , what a recruiting area !! Did you here they are getting 2 wide receivers from Florida and a running back from Texas next year??? :yikes::yikes::yikes:
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Considering that Highlands gets kids from surronding 10 counties and different states. I think that JC does pretty good. I can promise u that Highlands felt the effects of JC on that saturday.

Well everyone has stated their comments and that is the great thing about this site. We have heard all the Highlands greatness stories but from what a few Highlands fans have told me Highlands did feel the effect of the JC game the next week and felt they were their greatest hurdle, but the Highlands fans here would not own up to that. Like i said who is #2 is for fans who have no insight into what is really going on and nothing better to do.

This JC team was young and in a rebuilding year and overcame alot of adversity with a difficult start. They will be primed next year. JC fans do not care who is #2 this year, we want to be #1 next year.
:thatsfunn :lmao: :thatsfunn :lmao: :thatsfunn

Can you name ONE kid on the team from another county or state?:HitWall:

1. Highlands
2. John Hardin
3. Bowling Green
4. Christian County
5. Owensboro
6. Oldham County
7. Anderson County
8. Johnson Central
9. Ashland
10. Covington Catholic
cj2561 Wrote:I don't think JC was that good this year. The way JC play if they get ahead in the game, with the O they run. It keep the ball away from the other team. But when they get behide in a game, it is harder for teams like that to come back for the win.
I think PCC would give them a game this year. LCC and Pulaski Co. would have beat them, and maybe Whitley Co would have to.
The teams JC play this year that was any good, beat them. The only team that they play that i though would beat them was CovCath.
By going by the score of the Highland/JC game. That don't mean nothing, By what i heard on the radio, JC was playing there hearts out, and still get beat 42-21.

i could not let this one pass. I saw LCC, Pulaski and Whitley play this year and JC could have beat all three fairly easy. i get the feeling JC hit a nerve with the mighty Highlands fans when they showed up and gave them a game. I know someone will give us the score again, but ask the Highlands players and coaches if they thought they were in a game. The Highland coaches know what they will have to face next year. Like i said earleir bash us and trash us and tell us how great you have been and are going to be, we are not impressed or afraid, see you next year in Eagleville.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next