Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Football and State Titles
so is this a thread about why people from the mountains have pride in their teams or northern and central ky has more championships than the mountain teams?
Well by these peoples logic everyone in the US should be UCLA basketball fans and Alabama football fans because they have won the most national titles in their respective sports. Its about Pride in a region and its teams not championships.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Well by these peoples logic everyone in the US should be UCLA basketball fans and Alabama football fans because they have won the most national titles in their respective sports. Its about Pride in a region and its teams not championships.

You can't go anywhere if you don't leave the porch. Be proud to beat your neighbors and be the best in your region...I think it is great to be the called the best in NoKY, but I prefer being called the best in the state.
I feel like we going to have to have a east side vs. west side gang fight here or something lol.

Eastern Kentucky hasn't had nearly as many state championships as schools in NKY, Lexington, or Louisville. But just about each of our schools have very good support for our football programs. Plus, this site is based out of Floyd County and hasn't really reached out to those from around the state until this past year. We want this site to grow, because we all are willing to learn about a lot of programs out west that we have little knowledge of. This is mostly why you see so many EKY/Mountain threads.

This site is very addicting, because we don't police it as tough as other sites do. Although we still have our rules (that they are common sense rules that each should know of without even reading them). But to sum everything I'm trying to say up - everyone is welcome to join this site. We are growing by the day and we love seeing new members and reading/discussing all the topics we have here at BGR and around the Bluegrass.
In my opinion, you will see more state titles from the eastern ky area in the near future. It is just a matter of time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
It's very apparent why this thread was started.
cougarpride08 Wrote:In my opinion, you will see more state titles from the eastern ky area in the near future. It is just a matter of time.

I hope you're right!
Hatz Wrote:Using the broad interpretation you did with Russell and Ashland, I will expand the CKY boundary just a little to include Bardstown which IMO is nowhere near the stretch you make on NEKY but allow some latitude please.

Class A Titles (Appearances years in bold)

Danville '00,'01, '03 ('04, '06)
Bardstown '67, '70 ('92, '93)
Versailles '62
My Old KY Home ('65)
Frankfort ('68, '77)
Richmond Madison ('79)
Harrodsburg ('88, '96,'97)
Paris '73, '81, '82 ('84)

Class AA titles

Danville '62, '87, '89, '91, '92, '94 ('98)
Boyle '99, '00
Lafayette ('60)
Richmond Madison ('64)
Bryan Station '71 ('69)
Tates Creek '72
Scott County '75
Bardstown '81, '01
Bourbon County '97
Mercer County '06

Class AAA Titles

Danville '84
Boyle '01, '02, '03 ('04)
Lincoln County ('90, '93)
Lex Cath '05

Class AAAA Titles

Tates Creek ('78)
Henry Clay '81 ('79)
Bryan Station ('99)
Lafayette ('85)
Nelson County '96
Paul Dunbar ('96)
Scott County ('06)
Lex Cath '07

Class AAAAA Titles

Class AAAAAA titles

29 State Titles and 25 Runner-up appearances.

Not counting any non-playoff, mythical titles and keeping a firm compass on a much small geographic region, there you go.

What would be interesting is to see how many geographic miles one area is claiming and the number of miles I'm using as a measure for CKY. FWIW, every team above except for a couple of the Lex Schools (BS, TC, L) and Bardstown were at one time or another in the old CKC (Central Kentucky Conference) which I might add also included Somerset. :Thumbs:

How about Mt. Sterling - 1969 - Class A Champions
Cat Daddy Wrote:I agree, East Kentucky Football in general is all about pride and love for the game and the area you reside in. I am proud to be from the mountains and every kid in East Kentucky who puts on their school jersey is not only playing for their school but they are playing for their mountain heritage.

........along with committment. A lot of these mountain kids make a huge committment to be part of a team. Many kids travel miles just to get to school, practice, workouts, etc. I'm not sure too many kids in more populated areas would comprehend driving/riding 15-20 miles (or farther) to get to school or participate. For those of us in the mountains, that's just the way it is. Most schools are in small towns of a few thousand with little to offer in entertainment, employment, or opportunities. School and athletics events take on even more importance to many. It's a chance to get out of the holler, off the farm, and in to town if they can. For many, it is THE social event of the week. And it's a big sacrifice for the parents to try to keep the kids involved. I'm not saying that these problems don't exist in the bigger cities or schools or that people don't care or sacrifice as much as mountain people. It just seems to be more magnified here. And therein lies a large part of the pride factor.
mandan Wrote:........along with committment. A lot of these mountain kids make a huge committment to be part of a team. Many kids travel miles just to get to school, practice, workouts, etc. I'm not sure too many kids in more populated areas would comprehend driving/riding 15-20 miles (or farther) to get to school or participate. For those of us in the mountains, that's just the way it is. Most schools are in small towns of a few thousand with little to offer in entertainment, employment, or opportunities. School and athletics events take on even more importance to many. It's a chance to get out of the holler, off the farm, and in to town if they can. For many, it is THE social event of the week. And it's a big sacrifice for the parents to try to keep the kids involved. I'm not saying that these problems don't exist in the bigger cities or schools or that people don't care or sacrifice as much as mountain people. It just seems to be more magnified here. And therein lies a large part of the pride factor.

I appreciate the sentiment but Boyle County has some distances to travel for their kids as well.

As I'm sure most any county school in any part of the state does.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:How about Mt. Sterling - 1969 - Class A Champions

I didn't list them for the same reason I didn't list GRC. I was afraid someone would cry they were too far away from Central Kentucky to count. Unlike some who draw their geographic boundaries pretty liberally (this time we'll include Ashland, next time not. Oh, yeah will include Somerset even if they used to belong to the old Central KY Conference).