Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Football and State Titles
birds3pete09 Wrote:You have roughly the same amount of kids as any other school in your class.Therefore that big city crap is just that . Crap. Build your program.Get a good youth program.Come compete with us as we welcome the challenge.Just stop making the same tired excuses why you cant compete.:dontthink

Our program is just fine. We do not need anyone's advice in how to build a program. I think we've been there for quite some time now.
Hatz Wrote:Actually I think it's like 16 for HHS, 10 for Beechwood, 5 for Cov Cath and a few for Lloyd and NCC. Still a lot more than the EKY score I mentioned.

CKY, you left out DANVILLE with 10 thank you. Mercer has 1 but that's another story. (:eyerollSmile I didn't add Bardstown but not sure they're WKY either. I did include Paris because they were the old CKC. Still don't get the point.

Take out Breathitt and you have 3 less. Take out, well you get the story. :please:

I have no point in particular. I'm just pointing out especially in NKY that most titles were won by one team in particular. Two more teams also had their share of titles. I look to slight no one. I most definitely did not mean to leave out Danville in CKY.
But Ft.Thomas has indeed kept many teams from winning a state title. Not just Bell. Ft. Thomas is most definitely the elite team throughout the entire state. We can say that this team kept this team from winning their own share of titles but all in all Ft. Thomas has put many trophies in the showcase that others could not get for the lack in ability to beat them.
Hatz Wrote:Actually I think it's like 16 for HHS, 10 for Beechwood, 5 for Cov Cath and a few for Lloyd and NCC. Still a lot more than the EKY score I mentioned.

CKY, you left out DANVILLE with 10 thank you. Mercer has 1 but that's another story. (:eyerollSmile I didn't add Bardstown but not sure they're WKY either. I did include Paris because they were the old CKC. Still don't get the point.

Take out Breathitt and you have 3 less. Take out, well you get the story. :please:

I see what you're saying. I agree with it. But take out a few here and there and it's a different story wherever you are.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree 100%. I get tired of hearing excuses for why the EKY or any other schools around the state lose to nky, lex., or louisville teams. Take a page from their book and build your program!

Exactly. The majority of the time a kid will simply go to a different Cincinnati school since that area is much more popular on the recruiting scene than nky.

You obviously know very little about this area if that's what you think. NKY has lost several highly touted players to a Cincinnati power. Ohio kids don't want to play football in Kentucky...they look down on us the same way that some of you think we look down on mountain football.

I don't buy this. There are areas all over the state that face these same problems that these poor ole mountain/eky schools face.

In nky alone, Bellevue, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow, and Covington are all areas that are low income and see the same problems. Heck, even schools like Simon Kenton face these sorts of problems. In an area like Covington, Bellevue, Newport, Dayton, and Ludlow, probably 65% of the kids are eligible for free or reduced lunch.

Not all is grand up here in the "big city." Some of these kids face the same hardships that others in the mountains/eky face and sometimes more (gang violence), so let's not act like the mountain schools are the only ones.

All that is, is another excuse for why you can 't beat the nky/louisville/lexington schools.

Dig up Bell's record against Lexington schools. Dig up a few more EKY teams record against Lexington schools. We my friend are not the only ones that may not know what we are talking about. And please, spare the bs about building a program. Get over yourself and see what is the truth and what is not. There's plenty MOUNTAIN SCHOOLS that handle the upper state schools just fine.
The Mountain Football Pride has little to do with poverty. Every public school in the state faces this problem. It is the issue of decades of isolation and the stigma associated with being a "hillbilly" brings about this pride.

It is us,the "hillbillies" against the rest of the state and for the matter the world. When was the last time you had a major television network in your neighborhood filming an explotitive expose about addiction, poverty, physical health, mental health and any other social malady. When was the last time that you were portrayed on a sitcom as a toothless, filthy, ignorant dolt? We see it every day.

I have been to quite a few state championship games and no matter which mountain school is playing you will see hats emblazoned with logos from schools throughout the entire region. We battle each other throughout the season but we always come together to back the representatives of the region.
hawg laig Wrote:The Mountain Football Pride has little to do with poverty. Every public school in the state faces this problem. It is the issue of decades of isolation and the stigma associated with being a "hillbilly" brings about this pride.

It is us,the "hillbillies" against the rest of the state and for the matter the world. When was the last time you had a major television network in your neighborhood filming an explotitive expose about addiction, poverty, physical health, mental health and any other social malady. When was the last time that you were portrayed on a sitcom as a toothless, filthy, ignorant dolt? We see it every day.

I have been to quite a few state championship games and no matter which mountain school is playing you will see hats emblazoned with logos from schools throughout the entire region. We battle each other throughout the season but we always come together to back the representatives of the region.

Great post. There's a hillbilly, a city slicker, a northerner, and just a flat out **** yankee. I'd rather be a billy!
now that they switched it to 6 classes Bell should be in the mix every year with teams like Lawrence and Knox and maybe Rock but in 6 classes it is a whole lot easier to win a state title
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Boyle County still has at least 150 or more students then Russell does. Highlands they have at least 100 more than Russell

In football, it don't matter the over-all enrollment. It go by the number of boys in the school. That is way some school play football in one class and basketball in another class.
cj2561 Wrote:In football, it don't matter the over-all enrollment. It go by the number of boys in the school. That is way some school play football in one class and basketball in another class.

Ky doest have basketball classes.
cj2561 Wrote:In football, it don't matter the over-all enrollment. It go by the number of boys in the school. That is way some school play football in one class and basketball in another class.
Like i didn't know that the enrollments i posted are for male students only.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:kywldcat01 I know more about northern Kentucky than you think I don't care what you say there is no way some cinci kids don't come tom ky to play. I'm not buying that garbage And I know all about the large populations in that areaI have researched that area well. I don't post stuff before i go look up my info so you're not going to be pulling any fast ones over on me.

I never said there weren't Cincy kids who come to NKY to play. I simply stated that it was a much smaller number than you'e trying to portray with your supposed "facts."

Diogenes Wrote:...and the flip side of that card is there are plenty of urban schools that are simply awful at football, and you'll almost always find these schools in the less affluent areas of your cities. Eastern Kentucky schools can compete with THOSE NKY/Louisville/Lexington schools, no problem. But motivated athletes in those areas tend to find their ways out of those neighborhoods and into schools like HHS and St. X and LexCath. If you're a motivated football player in Eastern Kentucky, it's a little more difficult to get away from bad situations and into good programs. We have to make do with the hands we're dealt.

So now because they're poverty stricken schools, they don't have good programs? I beg to differ. Look at Bellevue and Holmes this past year. Bellevue is currently in the 1A region finals and Holmes just finished their season 9-3. Holmes also won the state championship this past year in basketball. Don't tell me these schools don't have motivated athletes like a Highlands, St. X, or Trinity.

I find it hilarious that you folks use this argument for football, but not for basketball or baseball.

easyM Wrote:Dig up Bell's record against Lexington schools. Dig up a few more EKY teams record against Lexington schools. We my friend are not the only ones that may not know what we are talking about. And please, spare the bs about building a program. Get over yourself and see what is the truth and what is not. There's plenty MOUNTAIN SCHOOLS that handle the upper state schools just fine.

I never once said that mountain schools didn't have success against the other schools around the state. I simply implied that overall eky/mountain teams have historically struggled against teams from nky.
I dont think anyone ever doubts our (Mayfield) football, some of the reasons given in this thread are lame but some of the points made seem valid. I do not see Western Kentuckians feeling the same way that many of the Eastern Kentuckians seem to feel yet we are largely forgotten way out here in the wild wild west but that maybe due to overall we have been more successful over the years.
Hatz Wrote:Both are 1A schools and Danville is a 2A school in the same county. So what's the point? :yawn:

:please:

What's with the attitude buddy.

The point I was makin was to somebody who said that Bell has a bigger area to choose from.

And Middlesboro is a 2A school, Einstein.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Does Northern Kentucky have some kind of magical power to produce great football players? Of course not. Densely populated area and good football players end up at a few good football schools. End of story.
I think Highlands should have to go back to 3A or 4A.
tcb Wrote:I think Highlands should have to go back to 3A or 4A.

Highlands is suppose to be 4A aren't they. They wanted to play up in class because there aren't many 4A schools very close to them. They would have to travel a long distance just play ditrict games. I don't see anything wrong with them playin up in class. Just shows the confidence in their coaches, and the heart and desire of their players to continue to win state championships against bigger schools.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
tcb Wrote:I think Highlands should have to go back to 3A or 4A.

Well I think no matter what they will win. I think they are capable of winning the 6A title.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Yeah im pretty sure Highlands could probably sweep the best teams from class 1a-6a this year. and to add to the post here in the mountains we really Don't have anything better to do lol. all we have is our sports.
Hatz Wrote:Good Post. :Thumbs:

I think you are making the argument that makes sense. Regionalism and pride but it doesn't necessarily look to make a rationale argument, just a passionate one for one's program.

Well if you try to rationalize it you can't make any sense of it. the example being UK has won 7 National championships. UofL has won 2 does that mean louisville fans shouldn't be passionate about there team? without unadulterated passion sports would be boring. I will love the tigers no matter how terrible we are. and I will cheer for the other mountain teams no matter what the odds. I think in east ky most people are like me in this respect.

P.S. Go Cats kill the Cards.
64black&gold Wrote:I agree Hatz this is a great post. I do however think the "mountain" teams play the "us against the world" attitude a little too much. I actually expect the mountain teams to be a little bigger and play harder most of the time not the opposite. If anyone is disrespected or forgotten in the media it seems to me to be the Western Ky teams. I live in Danville and keep up with the Eastern Ky teams far more than the Western Ky teams.

agreed...I was trying to point out in my post that Boyle doesnt really fit into the Lexington teams or 30 minutes south with the Eastern Ky teams. Lex catholic has a huge area to draw from they send buses out to six counties to pick kids up for school, you can be from any county and go to Lex catholic and in Lex you can go to any school as long as your willing to drive,pay, etc. Some friends of mine from Pikeville came in to watch a game and they didnt realize how small Danville was til they got here, They figured we were like Lexington teams and I just dont think we fall into that catagory. I dont think Boyle is disrespected in the media or overlooked but I think we make people pay attention otherwise they would, theres tons of Rebel pride here. We may not be Lex, we may not be mountains were stuck flat in the middle but I like it and have just as much pride in the Rebels as any mountain team, Lex team or Nky team!

PSS Go Cats kill the Cards! That we can agree on!
Redneck Wrote:Highlands is suppose to be 4A aren't they. They wanted to play up in class because there aren't many 4A schools very close to them. They would have to travel a long distance just play ditrict games. I don't see anything wrong with them playin up in class. Just shows the confidence in their coaches, and the heart and desire of their players to continue to win state championships against bigger schools.

At the time things were set up, I believe Highlands was supposed to be a 3A school. CovCath was 4A and Holmes, Scott and Dixie were 5A, so they allowed Highlands and CovCath to play up to keep the travel costs down, (as you pointed out,) and the established rivalries in place.
It'll be interesting what shakes out for 2010 and beyond. Could Holmes be stuck back with CovCath and Highlands in a 4A district with Pendleton County? What happens with Scott and Dixie? (Aside from a HUGE sigh of relief from Dixie. I doubt they'll move down, although Scott has been rumored to be dropping.)
Can you dig it? Wrote:At the time things were set up, I believe Highlands was supposed to be a 3A school. CovCath was 4A and Holmes, Scott and Dixie were 5A, so they allowed Highlands and CovCath to play up to keep the travel costs down, (as you pointed out,) and the established rivalries in place.
It'll be interesting what shakes out for 2010 and beyond. Could Holmes be stuck back with CovCath and Highlands in a 4A district with Pendleton County? What happens with Scott and Dixie? (Aside from a HUGE sigh of relief from Dixie. I doubt they'll move down, although Scott has been rumored to be dropping.)
Highlands has 414 male students they was not supposed to be 3a they have more male students then Bell county who is a 4a with 393 male students.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Highlands has 414 male students they was not supposed to be 3a they have more male students then Bell county who is a 4a with 393 male students.

"At the time things were set up, I believe Highlands was supposed to be a 3A school."
I know you have this thing about numbers and accuracy, so I just thought I'd point out the part you either missed or chose to ignore.
Are they going to realign some teams in a year or two? I have heard that Johnson Central and Ashland was thinking about dropping to 4A.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I played on 2 of Breathitt's state champs teams, I've read on this tread that we play hard because were so poor and live in poverty. That is crazy, were play hard because we love the game and we love our county, we were like brothers. We weren't worried about money or if the teams we played had niceer jersys than us we was worried how we was going to win this game, and tell you the truth we had nicer fields and stadiums than alot of nky cky teams we played.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:I played on 2 of Breathitt's state champs teams, I've read on this tread that we play hard because were so poor and live in poverty. That is crazy, were play hard because we love the game and we love our county, we were like brothers. We weren't worried about money or if the teams we played had niceer jersys than us we was worried how we was going to win this game, and tell you the truth we had nicer fields and stadiums than alot of nky cky teams we played.

:Thumbs: Great Post. Those were some great teams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

MonsterMan Wrote:Unless you have been born in or lived in the Mountians you could not understand our pride in football. It is not an aquired pride, you have to live it! Alot of us growing up remember playing on river bottom fields with stands about to fall down and having the Central or big city Ky teams thown at us. They had nice pretty fields and big name players, but we never gave up. Now the Mountain teams have state of the art facilities and the quality of football is on the rise. I think too the Moutain area is more close than other areas of the state. Mountain fans cheer for other Mountain teams.

We may not have as many titles as other areas yet, but we are proud of the ones we have. We will get there. MOUNTIAN PRIDE ALWAYS FLAUNT IT, BUT NEVER BE ASHAMED OF IT!

I have lived in Appalachia, Big Stone Gap, and Gate City VA. All those places are pretty big on football, but not as much as Green County!!! And there are a lot more places like Trinity, Saint X, and several other places!!
Bigblue#4 Wrote:I played on 2 of Breathitt's state champs teams, I've read on this tread that we play hard because were so poor and live in poverty. That is crazy, were play hard because we love the game and we love our county, we were like brothers. We weren't worried about money or if the teams we played had niceer jersys than us we was worried how we was going to win this game,

We have a winner :1::champ::ilikeit:
Can you dig it? Wrote:At the time things were set up, I believe Highlands was supposed to be a 3A school. CovCath was 4A and Holmes, Scott and Dixie were 5A, so they allowed Highlands and CovCath to play up to keep the travel costs down, (as you pointed out,) and the established rivalries in place.

Personally im glad they let highlands play up imagine if they were three A it would always just be race for second. If they were four A all these Bell county fans would be very upset. Yet they continue to dominate 5 A some its kinda like your ****ed if you do and ****ed if you dont. My hat goes off to an excellent Fort Thomas Highlands program a model program for the whole state.
easyM Wrote:Nky would most of their titles not be from one school in particular? Let's say Ft. Thomas? Throw in a few for CovCath. How about Beechwood? How many does that leave for NKY?
Cky? I'm going to take a guess that most titles came from Lexington in the 70s and 80s. Throw in Boyle's five titles to go along with that. Wky? I have no clue? I thought that part of the area was from another state?

Don't forget Newport Central Catholic. They've won a few. Boone County has one too, I think.