Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sheldon Clark Cardinals
34.95%
Belfry Pirates
65.05%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark @ Belfry 11/13
CardinalAlum Wrote:We had great numbers at the Russell game it would almost make me want to say we had more fans out then them and boy as we all loud, I still don't have a voice lol. But Buc here is to a clean good hard fought game everyone knows whats on the line here. This is the road to where the boys are separated from the men and champions are crowned.

I was very dissapointed in the turn out; but of course you can count on all the fairweather fans being at Belfry Friday night. Those kind of people who only show up for the game they think is important and to show there face
belfry is just too much for the cardinals again. History has a way of repeating its-self.TongueirateSho
bucslover68 Wrote:The crowd this Friday needs to be rabid. I shouldn't have to be typing this, but Belfry's crowd has a little "fat-cat" disease. We have become a little spoiled. Let's not be like Pikeville or some of these schools who can't draw many fans to their games unless it is a huge game. We are Belfry, not anyone else. We play for more than just advancing a couple of rounds in the playoffs. We play for championships. Nothing is guaranteed. I fully believe that Belfry will beat SC on Friday, but SC is talented enough to beat Belfry. Let's not give them a chance. Let's imtimidate SC so much that the game is over by the half. If the adults aren't cheering, then the students should come to the center of the bleachers and make them get off their tails and cheer. They should paint their bodies and act like hooligans, but be classy of course. The 12th man should be riled up from at least tunnel time till the final horn. These are two of the top teams left in 3A and Belfry has a great chance to get to Bowling Green. Make the CAM a place that rocks on Friday night. Make the earth and bleachers shake and GO BIG RED!!!!!

I have been to almost every Belfry game, home and away since I was born. IMO when we left Vipperman Stadium a part of the Belfry stigma left with it, the new stadium doesn't carry the same energy for some reason.

There are many thngs that I believe contribute to this. FAT CAT syndrome like you said, fans used to be hungry to take that next step and now we have taken it and they have gotten lazy. There was just a mystique about VIPPERMAN I can't describe what it was, but I remember when I played a home game and it was 4th and short that the opponent could not hear themselves think because it was so loud. Tunnel Time has become a joke compared to what it used to be, I remember the days when it stretched down the length of the field and then curved back toward Belfry's sideline. I personally would love for one game a year Belfry go back there and play I know it's just wishful thinking but I think it would be nice, maybe for the hall of fame game?
irishcard16 Wrote:I have been to almost every Belfry game, home and away since I was born. IMO when we left Vipperman Stadium a part of the Belfry stigma left with it, the new stadium doesn't carry the same energy for some reason.

There are many thngs that I believe contribute to this. FAT CAT syndrome like you said, fans used to be hungry to take that next step and now we have taken it and they have gotten lazy. There was just a mystique about VIPPERMAN I can't describe what it was, but I remember when I played a home game and it was 4th and short that the opponent could not hear themselves think because it was so loud. Tunnel Time has become a joke compared to what it used to be, I remember the days when it stretched down the length of the field and then curved back toward Belfry's sideline. I personally would love for one game a year Belfry go back there and play I know it's just wishful thinking but I think it would be nice, maybe for the hall of fame game?

Prestonsburg/Belfry @ the Vipperman, perhaps?
bucslover68 Wrote:The crowd this Friday needs to be rabid. I shouldn't have to be typing this, but Belfry's crowd has a little "fat-cat" disease. We have become a little spoiled. Let's not be like Pikeville or some of these schools who can't draw many fans to their games unless it is a huge game. We are Belfry, not anyone else. We play for more than just advancing a couple of rounds in the playoffs. We play for championships. Nothing is guaranteed. I fully believe that Belfry will beat SC on Friday, but SC is talented enough to beat Belfry. Let's not give them a chance. Let's imtimidate SC so much that the game is over by the half. If the adults aren't cheering, then the students should come to the center of the bleachers and make them get off their tails and cheer. They should paint their bodies and act like hooligans, but be classy of course. The 12th man should be riled up from at least tunnel time till the final horn. These are two of the top teams left in 3A and Belfry has a great chance to get to Bowling Green. Make the CAM a place that rocks on Friday night. Make the earth and bleachers shake and GO BIG RED!!!!!
wish i was there as an annoucer i would tell them to get up and cheer or go home,this is not a funeral home,lolTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Nathan does a good job in getting the crowd involved from the PA, but he shouldn't have to be the one to get em riled up. I agree that Vipperman was just the place to be as far as atmoshphere. I told someone the other day about playing a game once a year at Vipperman, and maybe they could even wear throwback uniforms once a year. I know this may be expensive, but what new tradition has been added since the move to CAM? It is an awesome place to play, but unless it is a huge game, it doesn't have the feel of Vipperman. I think they need some new traditions. There was no one inducted into the Hall of Fame this year and I find that amazing. I know of several people who are deserving. They could have some honorary captains; people who may not have played at Belfry, but people who have meant alot to the program over the years. The horn has been good overall, just a couple of minor slips last year, ha ha. I am not saying we need fireworks, but maybe having the fire trucks around or something to liven the place up. I think more needs to be put into senior night. I think taking the time to read a personal bio on the players would be nice with some of their statistics and accomplishments. Having a "rock" for all the players to touch with some of the names on a plaque, that could be added to, of the past Pirate greats, and great fans, that have passed away, would be a nice tradition with maybe one of those inflatable helmets and a smoke machine. These are all just ideas I have.
SC CARDS:1: on this one. Don’t see Belfry bouncing :redboxer:back form there injuries. Even at 100%
bucslover,
Throw-back uniforms? We have worn basically the same looking uniform for decades now Big Grin

A couple ideas I always thought would be cool:

- Have the voco department build a side of a pirate ship for the team to run through with a cannon. Hazard runs through a giant dog box... I think it could be built.

- A flag pole on the visitor sideline that at the start of the 4th Quarter a Belfry student raises the Jolly Roger and a Belfry flag. I think that would intimidating and fire the team up before the 4th Quarter to look across the field and see those flags rising above their opposition.

- I love the "2001: A Space Odyssey" Music for the introduction, but I would like to see a song that is played every game prior to Belfry coming out of the lockerroom to get the fans pumped up. UK has the "Jesus Walks" beat, Virginia Tech does "Enter Sandman".. something that gets everyone's blood pumping and gets them fired up.

- Move the Sign with all the Championships next to where the team enters the field and every player touches it before lining up for tunnel time.

- It may be cliche' , but I think putting cardboard headstone cut outs of every team Belfry defeated during the season on the hillside next to the scoreboard would look pretty cool.

-I think it was two years ago when they handed out the red towells for the playoffs. That made a cool effect.

The school I follow down in Georgia is a Top 15 team nationally and a very large public school. Every home game they have a theme for their spirit section and cheerleaders. They did a "White Out" once, they had an "80's Night", and I also went another night when they had a "Cowboy/Cowgirl" theme.

Another thing this school does which I think is smart, is they set up booth's that sell spirit wear, seat cushions, etc at the stadium. Student organizations set up face painting booths to raise money as well.
I'll take Belfry by a couple of tds.
Despite my Belfry Heritage....I've always seen SC as the team to beat this season. Nothing has really changed my opinion.

If SC limits their turnovers...and Hager doesn't do anything stupid....talent wise.......SC should win the ballgame.

However, if SC comes to town with the same chip on their shoulder attitude they usually bring.....they'll go home with another loss.
bucslover68 Wrote:Nathan does a good job in getting the crowd involved from the PA, but he shouldn't have to be the one to get em riled up.

The PA announcer SHOULD NOT BE A CHEERLEADER, period. Its not his job and it comes across as bush league stunt, in my opinion. His homerism is way over the top and I wish he would tone it down a few notches.

BTW, I think the problem with CAM vs Vipperman is more accoustics than anything. At Vipperman the field was surrounded on 3 sides and everything was just louder and more intense.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Despite my Belfry Heritage....I've always seen SC as the team to beat this season. Nothing has really changed my opinion.

If SC limits their turnovers...and Hager doesn't do anything stupid....talent wise.......SC should win the ballgame.

However, if SC comes to town with the same chip on their shoulder attitude they usually bring.....they'll go home with another loss.

Limiting turnovers and Hager not doing anything stupid.....hmmmmm......how does the old quote go?...."It is easier said than done."
Buc-a-roo Wrote:The PA announcer SHOULD NOT BE A CHEERLEADER, period. Its not his job and it comes across as bush league stunt, in my opinion. His homerism is way over the top and I wish he would tone it down a few notches.

BTW, I think the problem with CAM vs Vipperman is more accoustics than anything. At Vipperman the field was surrounded on 3 sides and everything was just louder and more intense.

I think he does get a liitle crazy sometimes. Maybe he should tone some stuff down. However, if not for his enthusiasm, where will it come from? The Belfry fans are great on the road, but they are not at home. It is sad that they need a boost to get cranked. If you have any ideas, please share. A quiet field does not a good atmosphere create. I like just plain ole cheeering too, but if that is not done, then something else needs to be. Just because we are champions, doesn't mean we need to be spoiled and bland. We can leave that to our neighbors to the southwest about 25 miles in Class A.:biggrin: At least the spoiled part.
bucslover68 Wrote:Limiting turnovers and Hager not doing anything stupid.....hmmmmm......how does the old quote go?...."It is easier said than done."

You're right....that's alot easier said than done. Talent wise...IMO, SC is a little better overall....especially upfront. But......emotionally, SC has really struggled remembering they are there to play a football game....not a WWE wrestling event. We've seen it over and over again with them.

Two main factors:

1. Varney has to be effective offensively.......He's got to make plays. It's been a long, long time, since Belfry's had to put so many of their eggs in one basket.

2. Defensively, Belfry must force the action to the middle of the field. We're not strong enough on the corners to consistenly let them abuse us out there the way Johnson Central did.
CardinalAlum Wrote:We had great numbers at the Russell game it would almost make me want to say we had more fans out then them and boy as we all loud, I still don't have a voice lol. But Buc here is to a clean good hard fought game everyone knows whats on the line here. This is the road to where the boys are separated from the men and champions are crowned.
You probably did have more fans there than Russell did but take note that Russell was 6-4 coming in and not many expected Russell to win anyway. Had this been a Russell team who had came in 9-1 10-0 or maybe even 8-2. Remember Russell is used to winning 10+ games a year and like pretty much any sport when you don't win you don't draw as many of the fans out to the game.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:You probably did have more fans there than Russell did but take note that Russell was 6-4 coming in and not many expected Russell to win anyway. Had this been a Russell team who had came in 9-1 10-0 or maybe even 8-2. Remember Russell is used to winning 10+ games a year and like pretty much any sport when you don't win you don't draw as many of the fans out to the game.

I know what ya mean GOREDDEVILS. I hope our schools meet up again someday.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:bucslover,
Throw-back uniforms? We have worn basically the same looking uniform for decades now Big Grin

A couple ideas I always thought would be cool:

- Have the voco department build a side of a pirate ship for the team to run through with a cannon. Hazard runs through a giant dog box... I think it could be built.

- A flag pole on the visitor sideline that at the start of the 4th Quarter a Belfry student raises the Jolly Roger and a Belfry flag. I think that would intimidating and fire the team up before the 4th Quarter to look across the field and see those flags rising above their opposition.

- I love the "2001: A Space Odyssey" Music for the introduction, but I would like to see a song that is played every game prior to Belfry coming out of the lockerroom to get the fans pumped up. UK has the "Jesus Walks" beat, Virginia Tech does "Enter Sandman".. something that gets everyone's blood pumping and gets them fired up.

- Move the Sign with all the Championships next to where the team enters the field and every player touches it before lining up for tunnel time.

- It may be cliche' , but I think putting cardboard headstone cut outs of every team Belfry defeated during the season on the hillside next to the scoreboard would look pretty cool.

-I think it was two years ago when they handed out the red towells for the playoffs. That made a cool effect.

The school I follow down in Georgia is a Top 15 team nationally and a very large public school. Every home game they have a theme for their spirit section and cheerleaders. They did a "White Out" once, they had an "80's Night", and I also went another night when they had a "Cowboy/Cowgirl" theme.

Another thing this school does which I think is smart, is they set up booth's that sell spirit wear, seat cushions, etc at the stadium. Student organizations set up face painting booths to raise money as well.

I'm feeling all that- AWESOME! - in fact we were going to have a whiteout but school got cancelled for some reason so we didn't. Take some of this to someone who matters and get it done! Btw, My stepdad wrote a song called One More Time that would be great to play pre-game.

Oh, we should have the towels Friday night TongueirateSho
Belfry by two touchdowns.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Belfry0304 Wrote:I'm feeling all that- AWESOME! - in fact we were going to have a whiteout but school got cancelled for some reason so we didn't. Take some of this to someone who matters and get it done! Btw, My stepdad wrote a song called One More Time that would be great to play pre-game.

Oh, we should have the towels Friday night TongueirateSho

Just Ordered about 15 pair of "Thunderstix" (inflatable stix for noise) for the Spirit section. That might help, but now Im pumped, i wanna do some of those things, Like the Flag and the Tombstones. Im in If we find a way to pull it off, Ive been sayin for years we need more stuff like that. We should start to organize, get serious about this, we'll talk tommorow.TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
They could play the one game a year @ Vipperman against a traditional rival like P'burg, or P'ville, or Johnson Central. And include tradition in some way like bringing back some important members of the programs past. Something HAS to be done @ home games to get the crowd into it....maybe a 3rd down song?...a little fog as the team enters through the tunnel?....red or white towels handed out to fans is a GREAT idea. Give every fan a dollar back that atends tunnel time....SOMETHING, ANYTHING, we are slowly losing our home field advantage, IT IS SO BORING IN THE STANDS @ A BELFRY HOME GAME!!!
goal_line Wrote:SC CARDS:1: on this one. Don’t see Belfry bouncing :redboxer:back form there injuries. Even at 100%

Keep kidding yourself i have seen both kids practice today
i promise you they will be more than ready for war come
friday night. 100% for both of them.:baldbull:TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Keep kidding yourself i have seen both kids practice today
i promise you they will be more than ready for war come
friday night. 100% for both of them.:baldbull:TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

Agree :Thumbs:

Practice looked like it went well today and both young men done just fine!! Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I can't wait for Friday to get here.

Belfry 35
SC 26
RisingPower84 Wrote:Just Ordered about 15 pair of "Thunderstix" (inflatable stix for noise) for the Spirit section. That might help, but now Im pumped, i wanna do some of those things, Like the Flag and the Tombstones. Im in If we find a way to pull it off, Ive been sayin for years we need more stuff like that. We should start to organize, get serious about this, we'll talk tommorow.TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho

Want me to order some?

I could not be more hyped for a game 4 days before it.
This will be the first game since breathitt co that we have had ALL of our players.I am looking forward to this game.The last time sheldon clark beat belfry was on friday 13, wow thats this friday sc by 2dts.oh ya shut up about coach hager,your all mouth and no ---. ya you know what that means and you know who you are.
Belfry GO PIRATES
bucslover68 Wrote:I think he does get a liitle crazy sometimes. Maybe he should tone some stuff down. However, if not for his enthusiasm, where will it come from? The Belfry fans are great on the road, but they are not at home. It is sad that they need a boost to get cranked. If you have any ideas, please share. A quiet field does not a good atmosphere create. I like just plain ole cheeering too, but if that is not done, then something else needs to be. Just because we are champions, doesn't mean we need to be spoiled and bland. We can leave that to our neighbors to the southwest about 25 miles in Class A.:biggrin: At least the spoiled part.

We have a completely different view of the job description for PA guy. I think he should be professional, even though a little bit of partiality is expected, he should not be the leader of the pep section.

If the crowd isn't cheering enough to pass muster, then maybe the pep squad or student section needs to pump them up. Maybe they need to start a letter writing campaign or take out ads on WYMT begging people to be more vocal. Or they could install "APPLAUSE" signs in conspicuous places to let everyone know when they are expected to cheer. Whatever. Doesn't matter to me, but the PA announcer needs to do his job, which is relay the pertinent info to the fans and then let the crowd take care of itself.

I am sometimes embarrassed by the cheesy homer banter coming from the PA guy. I like him and he is a good guy, but his antics are sophomoric in my opinion. I think it borders on bad sportsmanship and I know it is not received well by opposing fans. BELFRY should have more class than that.

And again, I think the problem is more accoustics than necessarily that the crowd is less loud or less vocal. If we built a 12 foot wall running the lenth of the field on the visitor side running behind the visitor seating, it would be a whole lot louder. Maybe even a 20 footer and we could name it the Red Monster or something like that. :biggrin:
Buc-a-roo Wrote:We have a completely different view of the job description for PA guy. I think he should be professional, even though a little bit of partiality is expected, he should not be the leader of the pep section.

If the crowd isn't cheering enough to pass muster, then maybe the pep squad or student section needs to pump them up. Maybe they need to start a letter writing campaign or take out ads on WYMT begging people to be more vocal. Or they could install "APPLAUSE" signs in conspicuous places to let everyone know when they are expected to cheer. Whatever. Doesn't matter to me, but the PA announcer needs to do his job, which is relay the pertinent info to the fans and then let the crowd take care of itself.

I am sometimes embarrassed by the cheesy homer banter coming from the PA guy. I like him and he is a good guy, but his antics are sophomoric in my opinion. I think it borders on bad sportsmanship and I know it is not received well by opposing fans. BELFRY should have more class than that.

And again, I think the problem is more accoustics than necessarily that the crowd is less loud or less vocal. If we built a 12 foot wall running the lenth of the field on the visitor side running behind the visitor seating, it would be a whole lot louder. Maybe even a 20 footer and we could name it the Red Monster or something like that. :biggrin:

:thatsfunn

BTW, I totally agree and second this post. I will take it a step further and say I actually don't mind a little cheering from the PA, but there is a very fine line between approriate and over the line.

Steve Phillips, IMO, was a fantastic PA guy because he limited the number of "cheers" he did. The comments he used to excite the crowd were always tastful and very reserved.. you don't need someone sounding like The Mouth of the South Jimmy Hart on the PA.
The PA announcer is not there to lead cheers. He calls play, down, yards to go and the players involved in the play. Anything else diminishes the whole program. I thought that was what cheerleaders were for?
If the Cards come overhyped and emotional like the last visit, they will lose. If not I see it as too close to call.
Forced to choose, I pick a Haywood coached team every time
I support what you say about the PA not supposed to be the cheerleader, but I have not heard one idea about who is to lead the crowd. Come on. I like cheerleaders as much as the next guy, but when was the last time they got the crowd to cheer. If they actually moved off the sideline and got into the crowd that would help. Why not move the pep band around some and play the fight song. Let's be a little creative. This is a game, not a nursing home. You can still show some spunk and have class. I don't want to be some "white collar, let's not ever ruffle our clothes" type of crowd. I want it to be one that makes a difference and does it in an appropriate way to support the team. Before our state championships, Belfry was always known for a "cheering type crowd". From the moment they ran on to the field, they cheered and it didn't always take a big play for them to get off their backsides. Now you have to make a great play for anyone to get up. I say be rabid from the start and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. If someone doesn't want to cheer, let them go eat tea and crumpets at a Pikeville game. BTW, I like the idea of the RED MONSTER. That is showing a little creativity. I just have a huge feeling against staus quo. I think it is the basis for mediocrity and failure. Be a leader and a trend setter, not a follower.