Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 31 Ryle 14
Final.
BHS78 Wrote:Final.

Very little emotion in this game, continued questionable coaching by Ryle, Elliot continues to show he is a punk, and Highlands shows that offense takes a big hit without Bardo in the game (Bigger game changer than Collingsworth). Hope to see the emotion return to HHS sideline in the playoffs.
sstack Wrote:Very little emotion in this game, continued questionable coaching by Ryle, Elliot continues to show he is a punk, and Highlands shows that offense takes a big hit without Bardo in the game (Bigger game changer than Collingsworth). Hope to see the emotion return to HHS sideline in the playoffs.

Wow, tough to please.

This was a trap game for Highlands and they won with relative ease. They finish the pre-season 10-0 and are favored to win #19 going into the games that count. Win and play at home until the finals.

The defense is far superior to where they were early in the year. AC will be back soon and Will is able to contribute despite his injury.

I agree on Elliott. With the visiting team so close to the stands at DCMS it is easy to see that he isn't discouraged by at least one coach. Ryle is a fine program and a very good school. Randy Cooper was a class act. They miss him.
so the loss of the QB at highlands does Anderson county have a chance?
sstack Wrote:Very little emotion in this game, continued questionable coaching by Ryle, Elliot continues to show he is a punk, and Highlands shows that offense takes a big hit without Bardo in the game (Bigger game changer than Collingsworth). Hope to see the emotion return to HHS sideline in the playoffs.

I'll see if I can get the message to Dale requesting the emotion to return.
bchater Wrote:so the loss of the QB at highlands does Anderson county have a chance?

None whatsoever. Probably a 40 point difference.
Nice win for the Birds. Lack of discipline will be Ryle's donwfall.
bchater Wrote:so the loss of the QB at highlands does Anderson county have a chance?

They wouldn't meet until the finals.

If they make it to the finals....... I would think HHS would be a heavy favorite. Good luck to Anderson Cty. in the playoffs.

Wishful thinking but not a chance.:biggrin:
Capitalist Pig Wrote:Wow, tough to please.

This was a trap game for Highlands and they won with relative ease. They finish the pre-season 10-0 and are favored to win #19 going into the games that count. Win and play at home until the finals.

The defense is far superior to where they were early in the year. AC will be back soon and Will is able to contribute despite his injury.

I agree on Elliott. With the visiting team so close to the stands at DCMS it is easy to see that he isn't discouraged by at least one coach. Ryle is a fine program and a very good school. Randy Cooper was a class act. They miss him.

never said I was not pleased!! this was a tough game to end regular season,you play a good team and do not want to get any injuries before playoffs, and you win fairly easily. I just thought it was not a very exciting game. And the comment about Bardo; he was just a huge weapon at QB and it is easy to see a drop off on offense with him not in there. When he came in tonight at RB you could see how big of a threat he is every time his hands are on the ball. I wonder if we will see more of him in the playoffs?
It sounds like Bardo will make enough plays that will allow AC to get completely healthy
sstack Wrote:never said I was not pleased!! this was a tough game to end regular season,you play a good team and do not want to get any injuries before playoffs, and you win fairly easily. I just thought it was not a very exciting game. And the comment about Bardo; he was just a huge weapon at QB and it is easy to see a drop off on offense with him not in there. When he came in tonight at RB you could see how big of a threat he is every time his hands are on the ball. I wonder if we will see more of him in the playoffs?

I would be interested to see how this game would play out if played with better weather conditions. The wind was howling last night so fierce that I thought the American flag was going to rip to shreads. This was a double edged sword for the Birds. The long ball was not effective with a headwind and Towles couldn't adjust to the downwind air. He overthrew his passers on every long attempt by at least 5-10yds. With that portion of the offense gone, Dale relied solely on the run. Towles seemed to be much more nervous with the Ryle defense. Because of this, he missed some opportunities at open receivers. He didn't appear to be comfortable at all last night. However, he has excellent scrambling skills and I love the QB keepers (one for a touchdown). The defense was stellar. They made Elliott look like a chump. Some of Elliott's antics were out of sheer frustration at not being able to run on the Highlands D. Hempel was the star for Ryle last night. Nichols' foot was inbounds in the corner for the 1st Ryle TD. I must say that I got alot of enjoyment out of Highlands stuffing Elliott on virtually every run play. You can't fault Ryle for coming in with a chip to Ft. Thomas. The officials were on top of all the fouls. Tyler Finnell had an excellent game and held onto the ball. He appeared extremely nervous in the Wildcat. I disagree with some and feel that this was an excellent game for the Birds in that they need to feel some pressure b/c much of the same will be coming deep into the playoffs this year. Keep in mind that this is a totally new Bluebird team with the two most talented athletes Will Bardo and Austin Collinsworth out and a sophomore QB taking the snaps. Yet, they still defeat a top NKY 6a team comfortably. I think alot of people compare the current team to the team that defeated St. X. and that is unfair. Think about it; The Bluebird offense has been in a constant state of flux since St. X. and has continued to be a scoring machine....
My team had a bye week last night, so I drove up to watch the game. It was my first Highlands game... I was impressed with their defensive speed! Offensively, it was a pretty boring game, but I can completely understand why when the team's biggest offensive threats aren't on the field. Like you said, they still managed to beat a 6A NKY team... with some room to spare. After that drive, I just wish I could have seen the explosive team that beat ST. X. I do like the Six Flags theme some though... haha very entertaining
Ryle 0 0 7 7 -- 14
High 0 17 7 7 -- 31
H – Streeter 3 run (Weinel kick)
H – Buten 54 pass from Towles (Weinel kick)
H – Weinel 47 field goal
R – Nichols 17 pass from Hempel (Pederson kick)
H – Towles 27 run (Weinel run)
R – Elliott 11 run (Pederson kick)
H – Bardo 1 run (Weinel kick)
Records: H 10-0, R 7-3

NKY.com
Highlands, the top football team in Northern Kentucky for three years running, entered Friday’s regular season finale against Ryle seemingly vulnerable.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310300176/

Its two biggest offensive stars stood on the sidelined bandaged up and it was playing one of the area’s top teams.

By the end of the night, nothing had changed except the names in the box score.

• Photos: Bluebirds 31, Raiders 14

The Bluebirds, behind standout efforts from several former backups, maintained their perfect record and presumably their spot atop the Enquirer coaches’ poll, with a 31-14 home victory.

“This just gives us a good base,” said Highlands coach Dale Mueller, whose team will open the playoff against Montgomery County. “And it gives us a lot of confidence.”

Highlands senior Tyler Fennell, who spent most of the season as a defensive lineman, rushed for 214 yards in the absence of star running back Austin Collinsworth, who sat out with an injured hand.

Sophomore quarterback Patrick Towles, who became the starter when Will Bardo suffered an injured elbow midway through the season, threw for a touchdown and ran for another.

“He’s just a tremendously determined guy,” Mueller said of Towles. “He came into this year as our fourth quarterback. By the summer he was our third quarterback. Then he played some JV and he was our second quarterback. Then Bardo got hurt and he became our starter.

“And Fennell’s a similar story.”

Highlands struggled offensively early in Friday’s game, failing to score on its first four possessions. Then junior running back Jordan Streeter got things rolling with a 3-yard touchdown run, followed by a 54-yard touchdown pass from Towles to Nick Buten.

The Bluebirds got the ball back with 1:39 remaining in the first half and drove to the 30-yard line, where Adam Weinel kicked a 47-yard field goal as time expired
I would like to add to my previous game assessment by noting that it was nice to see Buten in the offense. He made a spectacular fingertip catch and refused to go down afterwards. This kid plays with alot of heart and has super glue for hands....
Who is number 14 for Highlsnds?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:[quote=sstack]never said I was not pleased!! this was a tough game to end regular season,you play a good team and do not want to get any injuries before playoffs, and you win fairly easily. I just thought it was not a very exciting game. And the comment about Bardo; he was just a huge weapon at QB and it is easy to see a drop off on offense with him not in there. When he came in tonight at RB you could see how big of a threat he is every time his hands are on the ball. I wonder if we will see more of him in the playoffs?[/QUOTE

I would be interested to see how this game would play out if played with better weather conditions. The wind was howling last night so fierce that I thought the American flag was going to rip to shreads. This was a double edged sword for the Birds. The long ball was not effective with a headwind and Towles couldn't adjust to the downwind air. He overthrew his passers on every long attempt by at least 5-10yds. With that portion of the offense gone, Dale relied solely on the run. Towles seemed to be much more nervous with the Ryle defense. Because of this, he missed some opportunities at open receivers. He didn't appear to be comfortable at all last night. However, he has excellent scrambling skills and I love the QB keepers (one for a touchdown). The defense was stellar. They made Elliott look like a chump. Some of Elliott's antics were out of sheer frustration at not being able to run on the Highlands D. Hempel was the star for Ryle last night. Nichols' foot was inbounds in the corner for the 1st Ryle TD. I must say that I got alot of enjoyment out of Highlands stuffing Elliott on virtually every run play. You can't fault Ryle for coming in with a chip to Ft. Thomas. The officials were on top of all the fouls. Tyler Finnell had an excellent game and held onto the ball. He appeared extremely nervous in the Wildcat. I disagree with some and feel that this was an excellent game for the Birds in that they need to feel some pressure b/c much of the same will be coming deep into the playoffs this year. Keep in mind that this is a totally new Bluebird team with the two most talented athletes Will Bardo and Austin Collinsworth out and a sophomore QB taking the snaps. Yet, they still defeat a top NKY 6a team comfortably. I think alot of people compare the current team to the team that defeated St. X. and that is unfair. Think about it; The Bluebird offense has been in a constant state of flux since St. X. and has continued to be a scoring machine....

You trying to say the offense for Highlands was "one dimensional"?

Where have I heard that term applied before? :biggrin:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:[quote=sstack]never said I was not pleased!! this was a tough game to end regular season,you play a good team and do not want to get any injuries before playoffs, and you win fairly easily. I just thought it was not a very exciting game. And the comment about Bardo; he was just a huge weapon at QB and it is easy to see a drop off on offense with him not in there. When he came in tonight at RB you could see how big of a threat he is every time his hands are on the ball. I wonder if we will see more of him in the playoffs?[/QUOTE

:Thumbs:
Ryle has ALWAYS come into games with Highlands with a chip on their shoulder. These last two games they've had a loose nut in the family tree. If they could harness that kid and get him to focus, they've got a potential Mr. Football candidate to stand next to Towles in two years.
Congrats Bluebirds
Congrats Bluebirds!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=whackem'n'stackem']

You trying to say the offense for Highlands was "one dimensional"?

Where have I heard that term applied before? :biggrin:

Yes, they did nothing offensively aside from running the ball last night. The passing game aside from a wide open Buten was totally ineffective.
Can you dig it? Wrote:[quote=whackem'n'stackem']

:Thumbs:
Ryle has ALWAYS come into games with Highlands with a chip on their shoulder. These last two games they've had a loose nut in the family tree. If they could harness that kid and get him to focus, they've got a potential Mr. Football candidate to stand next to Towles in two years.

My friend coached this kid in little league. Let's just say that as of last night, nothing's changed.....

First off why do you say he is a punk, hes not a nice guy on the field but football is not about being nice. Give me a good example of why he is a punk.

Second off Ryles defense came out stong holdin highlands at 0 till late in the second quater.

They schedule teams like higlands for the challange and you have to give them props for that. They could have easily scheduled Scoot or Holmes but what is the point. They lost to one of the top teams in the nation and they shouldn't be looked upon as a bad team for that. I see them doing well in the playoffs.
[quote=whackem'n'stackem']I would be interested to see how this game would play out if played with better weather conditions. The wind was howling last night so fierce that I thought the American flag was going to rip to shreads. This was a double edged sword for the Birds. The long ball was not effective with a headwind and Towles couldn't adjust to the downwind air. He overthrew his passers on every long attempt by at least 5-10yds. With that portion of the offense gone, Dale relied solely on the run. Towles seemed to be much more nervous with the Ryle defense. Because of this, he missed some opportunities at open receivers. He didn't appear to be comfortable at all last night. However, he has excellent scrambling skills and I love the QB keepers (one for a touchdown). The defense was stellar. They made Elliott look like a chump. Some of Elliott's antics were out of sheer frustration at not being able to run on the Highlands D. Hempel was the star for Ryle last night. Nichols' foot was inbounds in the corner for the 1st Ryle TD. I must say that I got alot of enjoyment out of Highlands stuffing Elliott on virtually every run play. You can't fault Ryle for coming in with a chip to Ft. Thomas. The officials were on top of all the fouls. Tyler Finnell had an excellent game and held onto the ball. He appeared extremely nervous in the Wildcat. I disagree with some and feel that this was an excellent game for the Birds in that they need to feel some pressure b/c much of the same will be coming deep into the playoffs this year. Keep in mind that this is a totally new Bluebird team with the two most talented athletes Will Bardo and Austin Collinsworth out and a sophomore QB taking the snaps. Yet, they still defeat a top NKY 6a team comfortably. I think alot of people compare the current team to the team that defeated St. X. and that is unfair. Think about it; The Bluebird offense has been in a constant state of flux since St. X. and has continued to be a scoring machine....[/QUOTE]

Sure the Highlands Offense has had some changes since St. X with QB's and RB's but you forget that one of the reasons they continue to be a scoring machine with the many changes is they have an awesome and consistant offensive line that is blocking for their QB and Rb's:rockon:
Schmilla88 Wrote:First off why do you say he is a punk, hes not a nice guy on the field but football is not about being nice. Give me a good example of why he is a punk.

Second off Ryles defense came out stong holdin highlands at 0 till late in the second quater.

They schedule teams like higlands for the challange and you have to give them props for that. They could have easily scheduled Scoot or Holmes but what is the point. They lost to one of the top teams in the nation and they shouldn't be looked upon as a bad team for that. I see them doing well in the playoffs.

You can not tell me you do not see all the hitting, pushing, and mouthing off he does after the whistle!! He even cost the team 3 pts at the end of the half do to it. And a good coaching staff would not put up with it regardless of how good a player he is (and he has the potential to be a tremendous player).
And for the record, it is not just Highlands fans on here that are agreeing with this!
I do give you alot of credit for playing HHS 2 times, it will only make your team better. I would not be surprised to see them do well in the playoffs (hopefully your coach can learn to use his punter!).

Aug. 28th, 2009 v Ryle 37-14 with Bardo at QB and Collinsworth running back.

Oct. 30th, 2009 v Ryle 31-14 without Bardo at QB and without Collinsworth at running back.
NCC41 Wrote:Aug. 28th, 2009 v Ryle 37-14 with Bardo at QB and Collinsworth running back.

Oct. 30th, 2009 v Ryle 31-14 without Bardo at QB and without Collinsworth at running back.

:biggrin:
I didn't get to see the first game between these two teams so I cannot comment. However, I do feel that pre St. Xavier, the Highlands Bluebirds were not showing all of their cards offensively. I think the offense was geared around AC with Bardo's scrambling abilities being closely guarded. Basically, I think Highlands just did what it took to win in these games. Vs. St. Xavier, we finally got to see a completely balanced offensive triple threat in the run, pass, and QB keeper. If that offensive strategy was shown at Ryle, the outcome would have been much different. When you think about it, it was almost impossible to defend. With that said, you cannot compare pre and post St. Xavier outcomes.
NCC41 Wrote:Aug. 28th, 2009 v Ryle 37-14 with Bardo at QB and Collinsworth running back.

give me a break! Did you attend this game? Bardo was used very little, and when he was used he made huge plays. This team hurts more from not having Bardo run the team, than missing Collingsworth at RB. By the way, I am not saying Collingsworth is no good, he is a great player!