Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County 7th Grade Football Regional Champs!
Steelermatt Wrote:Its hard to rank the 7th grades because so many schools have kids playing up to 8th at least part time or in some cases 8th only.

In Greenup Co.'s case, we had 6 or so players that played major minutes in the 8th grade games then would play a complete 7th grade game afterwards. When the 8ths season ended you could tell a difference in them not having to play that 1st game every night and we played better ball toward the end of the season.

There is no doubt from what i've seen Corbin is best 7th in the state. They flat out earned it with hard nosed smash mouth football and they played a brutal tournament schedule and defeated them all. Big Congrats to them!!

A bit below them i would have Lone Oak based on there number of highly skilled players. They are very explosive but Corbins line size and defensive pressure were just too much for them.

After that there are perhaps a dozen teams were pretty high level teams throughout the season, some peaked early and others got better towards the end of the season. Johnson County's 7th had a fine team. Ashland Verity also. I would also throw from the teams i'd seen from Greenup County, Raceland, Lewis County and some others i've just heard about into this mix. These teams were all pretty interchangable and depending on when and where they played were and would all have been competative.

I know where you are coming from. Our(Jackson Co) 7th graders had to play up on the 8th grade team also and it did take a toll on them. By the end of the season eight of the 7th graders had logged in 20+ games. Our top player in 7th grade ran on 8th only and had 221 yards and 2 TD's against the 8th grade D2 champs Meece. We was going to bring him to the playoffs but he got hurt the game before the playoffs. Your right Corbin is a great team, we played them also. If not for a few mistakes and having some of our players hurt or feeling under the weather the game would of been alot closer, not saying we could of won but who knows what the score could of been. Hopefully we will see next year during the regular season(we are going to try to schedule them). I did see the game when Clay Co beat Corbin this year. Clay beat them just like Corbin beat the teams playoff's. Clay is not part of the kymsfa so that is why they were not in the playoffs
Jackson Cofan Wrote:I know where you are coming from. Our(Jackson Co) 7th graders had to play up on the 8th grade team also and it did take a toll on them. By the end of the season eight of the 7th graders had logged in 20+ games. Our top player in 7th grade ran on 8th only and had 221 yards and 2 TD's against the 8th grade D2 champs Meece. We was going to bring him to the playoffs but he got hurt the game before the playoffs. Your right Corbin is a great team, we played them also. If not for a few mistakes and having some of our players hurt or feeling under the weather the game would of been alot closer, not saying we could of won but who knows what the score could of been. Hopefully we will see next year during the regular season(we are going to try to schedule them). I did see the game when Clay Co beat Corbin this year. Clay beat them just like Corbin beat the teams playoff's. Clay is not part of the kymsfa so that is why they were not in the playoffs

Either you didnt see the game between Corbin and Clay Co. or you are still upset that Corbin beat Jackson. Corbin lost to Clay Co. 14-12 at the beginning of the season. And one of the main reasons for the loss was a punt that went strait into the linemen then picked up by clay and ran for a touchdown. Clay Co. was a HUGE team up front and played smash mouth football the way it is supposed to be played. This was a very close game that i would love to see again.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Either you didnt see the game between Corbin and Clay Co. or you are still upset that Corbin beat Jackson. Corbin lost to Clay Co. 14-12 at the beginning of the season. And one of the main reasons for the loss was a punt that went strait into the linemen then picked up by clay and ran for a touchdown. Clay Co. was a HUGE team up front and played smash mouth football the way it is supposed to be played. This was a very close game that i would love to see again.

score was 20-12. and from what I remember Corbin and Clay both couldn't move the ball . A touchdown is a touchdown no matter how you score it. So maybe the excuse of the kick off return must mean that that you are upset that Clay won. No matter how good a team is there is always someone out there better.It was a close game and yeah I'd pay to see again. We played Clay last year and lost to them also. Yeah they are big and I know some people over in Clay that work in the school system and yes they did admit that most of those boys had been held back so that they could play an extra year of 6th grade basketball last year.6th grade over in Clay still go to elementary school and the basketball league for those schools is highly competitive. I'm not upset that Corbin beat us. The way I looked at it going into the playoffs was, if we lost I wanted to lose to the team that won it all and thats what happened. This was our 4th season of football here in Jackson Co. Except for a couple of players none of the other players have played for more than 1 season prior to this year. Our football IQ is at about 60% Where as Corbin's is at 90% because most if not all of the kids had played youth league football and have 4 years+ under their belt
Jackson Cofan Wrote:score was 20-12. and from what I remember Corbin and Clay both couldn't move the ball . A touchdown is a touchdown no matter how you score it. So maybe the excuse of the kick off return must mean that that you are upset that Clay won. No matter how good a team is there is always someone out there better.It was a close game and yeah I'd pay to see again. We played Clay last year and lost to them also. Yeah they are big and I know some people over in Clay that work in the school system and yes they did admit that most of those boys had been held back so that they could play an extra year of 6th grade basketball last year.6th grade over in Clay still go to elementary school and the basketball league for those schools is highly competitive. I'm not upset that Corbin beat us. The way I looked at it going into the playoffs was, if we lost I wanted to lose to the team that won it all and thats what happened. This was our 4th season of football here in Jackson Co. Except for a couple of players none of the other players have played for more than 1 season prior to this year. Our football IQ is at about 60% Where as Corbin's is at 90% because most if not all of the kids had played youth league football and have 4 years+ under their belt

The score was 14-12 and the score i was referring to was on a quick kick that went wrong. A TD is a TD i was just simply stating that our kicker punted the ball into the back of our o-line. Clay went in to the half ahead 8-6. Second half their score was on a 4th and goal from the 8 yard line we brought everybody and they threw a hot pass. We were down 14-12 with the ball under 3 minutes left and started a drive. We picked up 3 first downs on 4th down but eventually the drive stalled and we turned the ball over on 4th and 5 we came up short. Dont tell me what the score was of a corbin game.:ChairHit: I can pop the dvd in and watch the game any time i want to. I agree you have some good players over in Jackson, but you might need to get some coaching over there in order to get those kids to their max potential.
Jackson Cofan Wrote:score was 20-12. and from what I remember Corbin and Clay both couldn't move the ball . A touchdown is a touchdown no matter how you score it. So maybe the excuse of the kick off return must mean that that you are upset that Clay won. No matter how good a team is there is always someone out there better.

Im not upset that Clay won at all for 2 simple reasons. 1-) We are the STATE CHAMPIONS and 2-) The Clay loss was the biggest win for Corbin this season it showed the players that they just couldn't show up and walk away with a win. After Clay, Corbin never took another game for granted. I agree that no matter how good a team is there is always someone better out there, but in the state of kentucky the best middle school teams were Bowling Green and Corbin.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Im not upset that Clay won at all for 2 simple reasons. 1-) We are the STATE CHAMPIONS and 2-) The Clay loss was the biggest win for Corbin this season it showed the players that they just couldn't show up and walk away with a win. After Clay, Corbin never took another game for granted. I agree that no matter how good a team is there is always someone better out there, but in the state of kentucky the best middle school teams were Bowling Green and Corbin.

Don't forget Somerset too
Jackson Cofan Wrote:Don't forget Somerset too

Somersets achievement was very good for their school. However i was stating BG was the best in 8th grade and Corbin best in 7th. Somerset lost to Corbin twice and Whitley Co. BG was heads and tails above all other competition in 8th grade.
I thought this thread was about GC?