Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NewCath 42 - Lloyd 20
NewCath 42, Lloyd 20
NC 6 22 0 14 - 42
Lloyd 0 6 0 14 - 20
N-Kelly 13 run (kick failed)
N-Kelly 71 run (Froendhoff pass from Hightchew)
N-Kelly 1 run (Miller kick)
N-Cain 44 pass from Hightchew (Miller kick)
L-Johnson 35 pass from D. McGuire (kick failed)
L-Johnson 24 pass from D.McGuire (run failed)
N-Kelly 13 run (Miller kick)
L-D. Mcguire 1 run (Gregory pass from D. McGuire)
N-Froendhoff 13 run (Miller kick)
Records: N 4-5, 3-0 district; L 4-5, 1-2

Kentucky.com
Chris Kelly grew up idolizing former Newport Central Catholic great Steve Everson.

"I went to every NewCath football game when I was a kid," Kelly said. "Steve Everson was awesome, a great running back. I always looked up to him, and wanted to do what he did."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310230142/
On Friday, Kelly did something Everson never did.

He ran for 347 yards, breaking Everson’s single-game rushing yardage record of 315 set in 1999.

Kelly carried 23 times and scored four touchdowns as visiting NewCath defeated Lloyd 42-20 and clinched home-field advantage in the Class 2A regional playoffs.

"Our line did a fantastic job, and the down field blocking was really good tonight," Kelly said. "I just took the ball and did my job."

The starting offensive line helping make Kelly’s record night possible includes left tackle Jake Smith, left guard Mike Leopold, center Paul Eviston, right guard Garrett Brown and right tackle Jake Giesler.

Lloyd head coach Roy Lucas Jr. said NewCath’s size up front was just too much for the Juggernauts’ front seven.

"The thing with us and NewCath is they’re so big up front, and we’re a small team," Lucas said. "We can’t just sit there in a basic defense or they’re going to run right over us. We need to junk things up a bit to try and equalize things. Unfortunately, what we did tonight didn’t work."

Kelly, the latest in a long line of Kellys to play for NewCath head coach Bob Schneider, is the second brother in his family to rush for more than 300 yards in a game. Mark Kelly also did it.

But Schneider wasn’t around to see Chris Kelly break Everson’s 10-year-old record. The coach left the game at halftime after feeling sick, and went home. At that point, Kelly had 204 rushing yards on 12 carries and three first-half touchdowns.

"Coach said he wasn’t feeling too good. And the next thing I know, he was gone," Kelly said.

Schneider’s son, NewCath assistant Dave Schneider, took over head-coaching duties in the second half.

"Chris had a heck of a night. The line and the down field blocking by our receivers really helped us out," Dave Schneider said. "We knew he could do something like this. His brother, Mark, had 308 yards in a game one time."

Chris Kelly follows brothers Mark, Ben and Shawn as NewCath football players. They follow their father, Mark, who also played for Bob Schneider. Chris Kelly’s uncles, Mike Kelly, Marty Kelly and Andy Zimmerman also played football at NewCath.

"That’s how I know about Everson. I used to come and watch my brothers play football and I just liked the way he played," Chris Kelly said. "It feels real good to be talked about along with Steve Everson."

Kelly’s longest run from scrimmage Friday was 71 yards for NewCath’s second touchdown, as the Thoroughbreds took a 14-0 second-quarter lead.

He also scored on touchdown runs of 13, 1 and 13 yards. Kelly set up his 1-yard scoring plunge which gave the ’Breds a 21-0 second-quarter lead with a 58-yard run down to the Lloyd 26. He scored two plays later.

Kelly, who entered play with 999 rushing yards on the season, also had long-gainers of 35, 34, and 23 yards in the contest for NewCath, which improved to 4-5. The ’Breds finished district play unbeaten at 3-0.

Lloyd (4-5) finished the district schedule with a 1-2 record, and will play its first playoff game on the road, in two weeks.

Friday leaders for the Juggernauts were quarterback Dylan McGuire (24-for-36 passing for 268 yards and two touchdowns) and receiver Charles Johnson (six catches for 111 yards).