Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls 8th Grade State Tournament KBA
I hope I am wrong. I thought I was right about the Verity 7th grade, they must have ran into a buzz saw. The way I see it the 7th grade team has one of the best point guards I have seen in a long time. Now if you put her on the 8th grade team I'm sure that would make a difference. Is the seventh graders traveling with the 8th grade team this weekend? I do wish them well this weekend in Lexington, however I still look for them to go out very early.
I know that at least the starting 5 7th graders are going with the 8th. Wish all the Verity girls the best. Great group of girls.
OORAH Wrote:I hope I am wrong. I thought I was right about the Verity 7th grade, they must have ran into a buzz saw. The way I see it the 7th grade team has one of the best point guards I have seen in a long time. Now if you put her on the 8th grade team I'm sure that would make a difference. Is the seventh graders traveling with the 8th grade team this weekend? I do wish them well this weekend in Lexington, however I still look for them to go out very early.

Yes, 7th grade will dress also
Predicting an early exit for this years 8th grade team is hardly going out on limb. Last years "stacked" 8th grade team only won one game in the tournament while this years "stacked" 7th grade team went winless. They could easily have won both games and the whole tournament for that matter, but the fact is they went winless.

OORAH makes it sound like the 8th grade team is clueless, maybe a biased opinion as I have a girl on the team, but the fact is a true point guard and quality decisions by the entire team makes the 8th grade team SOLID. Either point guard from the 7th grade team allows Young to play her natural off guard position improving the team dramatically.

No matter what happens this weekend the results won't be any worse than what Verity has done at the State level, even though the dreaded 8th grade team isn't "stacked"!
So now that the brackets are out what does everyone think? Who will be playing in Rupp?

you can see the brackets at http://www.playkba.com
Here are the teams to watch: Corbin, Powell, Whitley and Bracken. Any of these teams have a shot of playing at Rupp. They all have great teams.
I believe the 8th grade team last year won 2 games, and then got beat by 11 to clay county. I think it is great that verity takes the girls up to these tournaments, it is great experiance and the girls get to see a lot of talent.
Eruption Zone Wrote:Here are the teams to watch: Corbin, Powell, Whitley and Bracken. Any of these teams have a shot of playing at Rupp. They all have great teams.

All 4 of those teams are on the bottom half of the bracket, meaning only one of them could possibly even go to rupp. And Larue is on the bottom as well, and can play with all of those teams.

Looks to me like the Bottom half is stacked. Who is the favorite to come out of the top?
magicfan217 Wrote:All 4 of those teams are on the bottom half of the bracket, meaning only one of them could possibly even go to rupp. And Larue is on the bottom as well, and can play with all of those teams.

Looks to me like the Bottom half is stacked. Who is the favorite to come out of the top?
I haven't seen the bracket yet. I have only seen what teams are in it and those 4 teams are my favorites.
OORAH Wrote:I hope I am wrong. I thought I was right about the Verity 7th grade, they must have ran into a buzz saw. The way I see it the 7th grade team has one of the best point guards I have seen in a long time. Now if you put her on the 8th grade team I'm sure that would make a difference. Is the seventh graders traveling with the 8th grade team this weekend? I do wish them well this weekend in Lexington, however I still look for them to go out very early.

I wouldn't count verity 8th grade out, not saying they'll win it but I can see them winning a couple of games at least with them having decent size and since the 7th grade is going with them that will give them the Robinson girl to control the tempo with her ball handling and defense, which is the two things their missing. Plus their bench will be deeper good luck girls
:worthy: OORAH sounds like BOORAh!. Must have an axe to grind. My daughter is 7th and will be a good player. I have seen 8th play several times and one thing I know. They have heart and with the help of Gransberry and Alexis they can play good ball. Offense needs to gel but if they lose it will be to an outside shooting team because nobody scores inside. Nobody. Go inside with the ball and come out without it. Period.

The guards need to control the ball and if they can stop the turnovers, this team can win some games.

Next year watch out for the cute guard.

Oorah must be a disgruntled parent of a bench sitter.

GO GIRLS!:Cheerlead
theaccountdoctor Wrote:I believe the 8th grade team last year won 2 games, and then got beat by 11 to clay county. I think it is great that verity takes the girls up to these tournaments, it is great experiance and the girls get to see a lot of talent.

Last years 8th grade team won their play-in game and 1 game "in" the tournament as I stated. They lost in the second round to Clay county. It is great experience for the girls as well as a reward at the end of the season.
violet Wrote::worthy: OORAH sounds like BOORAh!. Must have an axe to grind. My daughter is 7th and will be a good player. I have seen 8th play several times and one thing I know. They have heart and with the help of Gransberry and Alexis they can play good ball. Offense needs to gel but if they lose it will be to an outside shooting team because nobody scores inside. Nobody. Go inside with the ball and come out without it. Period.

The guards need to control the ball and if they can stop the turnovers, this team can win some games.

Next year watch out for the cute guard.

Oorah must be a disgruntled parent of a bench sitter.

GO GIRLS!:Cheerlead

No axe to grind here, I was just making comments on what I have seen. I must have picked the wrong times to watch them play. Like I said before good luck to them at state. :USAFlag:
Eruption Zone Wrote:Here are the teams to watch: Corbin, Powell, Whitley and Bracken. Any of these teams have a shot of playing at Rupp. They all have great teams.

Corbin and Powell Co. meet in the 1st round. A tough draw for these 2 very good teams right off the bat.
If Verity continue to dominate inside and take care of the ball they will be ok. If Justice, Vanover, Young and Roberts do what there capable of doing and nothing else I can see them in the final four.
Big Ugly Wrote:Last years 8th grade team won their play-in game and 1 game "in" the tournament as I stated. They lost in the second round to Clay county. It is great experience for the girls as well as a reward at the end of the season.

You are correct.

2008 Kentucky Girls Middle School State Tournament
http://www.angelfire.com/ky/prephoops/08...Girls.html
All this discussion about who is going to win the tournament and seems like you all have short memories just this past weekend 3 out of the 4 final four teams was from 12 region Casey, Lincoln (who won it all) and southwestern are all very good teams. I watched the Casey Meade game and Casey gave that game away they should have been in the championship, they have some very good players. Lincoln 8th grade team will consist of the 7th grade with spangler girl as a 8th grader she is a strong player. Casey will be bringing most of the 7th grade girls with them, two of those girls are playing varsity this year and two of the other ones is playing freshman as 7th graders , so i would count those teams out just yet.
magicfan217 Wrote:All 4 of those teams are on the bottom half of the bracket, meaning only one of them could possibly even go to rupp. And Larue is on the bottom as well, and can play with all of those teams.

If Whitley Co. brings their "A" game....look out for them. They have beaten several of the Top teams this season. They have the potential to win it all. I was told they finished their season 34-4 while playing tough teams from all over the state.
Big Ugly Wrote:Last years 8th grade team won their play-in game and 1 game "in" the tournament as I stated. They lost in the second round to Clay county. It is great experience for the girls as well as a reward at the end of the season.

last years team won 2 and lost one at state.
Maroon Truth Wrote:last years team won 2 and lost one at state.

like i said we were 1 and 1 .thanks for the call and setting me str8! you are big and ugly and correct. ouch that hurts saying you were right.:igiveup::worthy::notworthy
turtle32 Wrote:All this discussion about who is going to win the tournament and seems like you all have short memories just this past weekend 3 out of the 4 final four teams was from 12 region Casey, Lincoln (who won it all) and southwestern are all very good teams. I watched the Casey Meade game and Casey gave that game away they should have been in the championship, they have some very good players. Lincoln 8th grade team will consist of the 7th grade with spangler girl as a 8th grader she is a strong player. Casey will be bringing most of the 7th grade girls with them, two of those girls are playing varsity this year and two of the other ones is playing freshman as 7th graders , so i would count those teams out just yet.

Loved some of those 7th grade teams....but they won't be able to compete with the best 8th grade teams in the state if they don't add some older kids that can play with them.

Anderson/Whitley/Corbin/Larue have really strong 8th grade bunches. I doubt you'll see Lincoln or Caseys 7th grade teams be able to hang with any of those teams. But who knows.....
How many of those kids on the 12th region teams are hold backs???
Verity you need to be careful. Your girls and coach don't need this kind of stuff. Because it just gets people taking about who might of said what. You're a team. It is easy to say more than you should when nobody is there but the computer screen.
Any Results?

I would like to know how our local teams AB Combs and Hazard done today?

Why doesn't the KBA have the live brackets like they did last year? I can't even find the results from the 7th grade tournament.
In one semi Anderson beat Crosby and in the other Whitley beat Corbin. Anderson and Whitley will play at Rupp for the title in a few weeks.

AB Combs got routed by Anderson in the first game...something like 50-15 and lost to Crosby in the first elimination round by about the same score.

Hazard played Larue tough for a half before losing by 15-20 and then lost to either Corbin or Powell county in a competitive game.
It was a great tournament! Should be a Great game between Anderson and Whitley! These are definitely the two BEST 8th grade girls basketball teams in the State this year! Good Luck to both!
Thanks for the updates.

I sure didn't think AB would get beat like that, they have a good team a great player in Rankin and one that no one in this area could handle this season. I knew Anderson had a good team, but didn't know they had that good of a team. I seen Whitley in some team camps over the summer and knew they where going to be a good team. Whitley beat AB Combs by 18-20 I think this year so after Anderson beat them like that, Anderson will be a handful, should be a good championship.

Does anyone know where I can get complete results from the tournament?
mtguru Wrote:Thanks for the updates.

I sure didn't think AB would get beat like that, they have a good team a great player in Rankin and one that no one in this area could handle this season. I knew Anderson had a good team, but didn't know they had that good of a team. I seen Whitley in some team camps over the summer and knew they where going to be a good team. Whitley beat AB Combs by 18-20 I think this year so after Anderson beat them like that, Anderson will be a handful, should be a good championship.

Does anyone know where I can get complete results from the tournament?

I can't find the results anywhere yet. They don't do a good job anymore of updating the tournament as it is being played. Actually the 7th grade results aren't even posted on their website. It was much better when they updated it live.

I did find a write up on the 7th grade tournament by Ron Harrison (just from the elite 8 through the championship). He does a write up after each tournament the KBA has. http://www.angelfire.com/ky/prephoops/bl...id=1060918
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:It was a great tournament! Should be a Great game between Anderson and Whitley! These are definitely the two BEST 8th grade girls basketball teams in the State this year! Good Luck to both!

This will be a rematch from a game played earlier in the year. Cant remember the exact score but I think Anderson won by 8-10 points or so. Should be a great experience for both teams. Cant thank the KBA and their staff enough for giving such a great oppourtunity to young girls. Playing in Rupp will be something each one of them remembers for the rest of their lives. Both teams have already "won."

Will be interesting to see which teams style better adapts to the bigger floor at Rupp Arena. Anderson has some great athletes but Whitley def has a size advantage in the post. Looking forward to a great game and great atmosphere!
freezie Wrote:Verity you need to be careful. Your girls and coach don't need this kind of stuff. Because it just gets people taking about who might of said what. You're a team. It is easy to say more than you should when nobody is there but the computer screen.

Huh ????? What kind of stuff don't the girls and coaches need??? Who said what about what???