Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My baseball HOF ballot
Maybe I can actually get my own thread for this over here......

Here is a couple guys I would vote for the HOF.

Bert Blyleven

Won 287 games from 1970-1992.
Won a World Series in 1987 with the Twins.
Finished in the top 5 in the ERA title 5 times.
Was in the top 10 in K's 10 times!
Finished in the top 10 in WHIP 7 times.

Analysis

Very similar statistics to Don Sutton, Gaylord Perry, and Ferguson Jenkins, and they are all in the HOF.

He gave up a ton of hits, a ton of walks, a ton of home runs, but he pitched innings (over 200 innings 17 seasons), and for the most part, they were quality. A career 3.31 ERA, over 3700 K's, this guy should be in the HOF.

Bruce Sutter

Led league in saves 5 times. (300 career)
1979 NL Cy Young award winner
Won a World Series with St. Louis in 1982.
ERA over 3 just 2 times from 1976-1984, including a 1.34 mark in 1977.
A very solid career 1.13 WHIP.

Analysis

One of the first true closers, he deserves in. He isn't Rivera good, but I think if Rollie Fingers got in, Sutter gets in.

Lee Smith

All time leader in saves, with 478.
Led league in saves 4 times.
7 time all star.
Career 3.03 ERA and 1.25 WHIP.

Analysis

The year of the closer, I still stratch my head on to why he's not in. 478 saves with some of the teams he played on is fantastic.

Andre Dawson

8 career gold gloves
1987 NL MVP (last place team)
8 time all star
Top 10 in OPS 6 times

Analysis

A career .323 OBP is low, but he's 438 HR's, along with over 2700 hits, to go along with his great defense, make me overlook it. Very similar to Billy Williams and Tony Perez, both who eventually made the HOF.

Just Missing my ballot

Albert Belle-You may think I'm crazy, but a career .369 OBP to go along with almost 400 homers in a 11 year career. His 1995 may have been the best offensive season of the last 50 years (take away any of Bonds numbers.)

Will Clark-Maybe the best hitter no one ever mentions. An outstanding .384 carrer OBP, to go along with 2176 hits. However, the home run total is low for a possible HOF first basemen (284), and only once led the league in a major stat category (RBI's with 109 in 1988.)

Don Mattingly-A great pure hitter, he had over 2100 hits in his 14 years. However, if Will Clark doesnt' get in on my ballot, Mattingly can't with a lower carrer OBP and lower home run total, even though Mattingly did have an outstanding glove.

Jack Morris-Look up money pitcher in the dictionary, and you find Morris. As good as they get in the crunch. However, a high career ERA (around 4) keeps him out. He also had a low number of career K's for a "strikeout" pitcher.

Jim Rice-Had 1 very magical year (1978), where he led in the league in home runs and RBI's, but I think it's a pickem between Dawson and Rice, and Dawson wins because of his defensive play.

Dale Murphy-Again, fits the Jim Rice/Andre Dawson mode. I'd vote him over Rice, but I have to give the Hawk the nod.

Goose Gossage-I truly believe he deserves a spot, but with already taking two closers, he'll have to wait. 310 career saves, leading the league 3 times, it'll get him in eventually, maybe with the veterans committee.

Maybe I will vote for them in a blue moon

Dave Concepion-He's Ozzie Smith with a lower OBP, sorry.

Steve Garvey-A glorified version of John Olerud

Dwight Gooden-3 more years like 1984-86 and we are talking about Sandy Koufax.

Tommy John- He's a ton like Burt Blyvelan without the Strikeouts. He never led the league in any major stat category.

Alan Trammell- Never led the league in any major stat category. A very good player, but not HOF worthy.

They shouldn't even be mentioned

Rick Agueliria, Gary Disarcina, Ozzie Guillen, Gregg Jefferies, Walt Weiss and John Wettleland.
"FreakNasty" Wrote:Maybe I can actually get my own thread for this over here......

I can promise you that this thread won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

What? No Pete Rose on the list??? But seriously, that's another thread in itself so let's not discuss it here. If someone does want to discuss it, please start another thread.

Great list with a lot of deserving players. Still too much politics in sports.