Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1987 Pikeville Panthers vs. 2009 Fort Thomas Highlands
charlie22 Wrote:In your own words: "And besides, who asked you? You've got threads of your own to gloat on. Dont come on here and spoil ours. "

Mr. Kimball, it's all in fun. :biggrin:
That's right Chuckie. Ya see, when you can type a clever little "lol", stategically spot a "haha" at the end of one of those knee slappers, or perhaps magically make one of those little smiley faces appear out of nowhere, that truely shows the whole world how much of a blast your havin.

Ya'll ever do any of that fun stuff up there in the big city? TongueirateSho
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's right Chuckie. Ya see, when you can type a clever little "lol", stategically spot a "haha" at the end of one of those knee slappers, or perhaps magically make one of those little smiley faces appear out of nowhere, that truely shows the whole world how much of a blast your havin.

Seems like Mr. Kimball doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :biggrin:

Oh by golly, I did it again. We are really having some fun up here in the big city now. :Clap:
kybaseball Wrote:Tell you the truth it wouldn't suprise me if the 80's team won.

If you are going off of talent maybe and it depends on the matchup. The thing is when looking at teams from different periods of time you are not only looking at the ahtletes but the schemes, techniques and the such. So for the NFL to compare teams you honestly have to ask does the older team update their scheme and techniques or not.

In the 80s they did not have LBs that could run and cover at the size they do now. NFL defenses were Cov 3 based where now in the NFL you get a ton more 2 deep shell stuff with adjustments. The Rams from the 99 or so would give NFL defenses from the 80s complete fits.

Now here we are not talking about NFLs. I am not sure when Highlands went to it but a good deal of time they lived of the counter trey from the gun. No huddle (which very few teams ran in the 80s) and gun all the time (except on the goal line). Other than Mitchells SR year (they went wing t red/blue that year) it has been power run from the gun. I think one of the places it would be tougher for Highlands is because of their defensive scheme. It is built more for spread formation type teams. Scheme wise it does not care for 2 TE run stuff.
Hypothetical matchups are the ultimate "He said/She said." Can't prove them one way or the other.

I saw them play in the '87 Class A Title game because I was getting ready to broadcast the AA title game with Danville and Mayfield. Pikeville was strong and had good quickness. Very, very solid team.

But to cite them as not being challenged can be cited by numerous other squads through the years since then. In fact, much is made of beating Henry Clay but Danville in their run from '91 to '94 was the fastest pure speed I've ever seen.

Boyle's run of five straight had some very, very powerful defenses that would have done a pretty good job with their size on the line and Smith's defensive schemes.

Two questions for the defenders of Pikeville:

1. How many of the players on those three squads went on to college ball?

2. How often did they play a complex passing scheme team?
charlie22 Wrote:Seems like Mr. Kimball doesn't have much of a sense of humor. :biggrin:

Oh by golly, I did it again. We are really having some fun up here in the big city now. :Clap:

What in blue blazes are you going on about? This is all fun to me. I take none (and I mean none) of this stuff serious. Man, I must really come across different than the way it leaves my fingertips.

Or maybe you just dont recognize ingenious humor when you see it. I guess all of the great one's had their critics early on too. (i.e. Carson, Letterman, Pryor). You just wait though, you'll come to love me and appreciate my special brand. :biggrin:

BTW, it's a never ending knee slapper to see those funny little faces pop up out of nowhere , aint it?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What in blue blazes are you going on about. This is all fun to me. I take none of this stuff serious. Man, I must really come across different that the way it leaves my fingertips.

That's actually a great point. It is very easy to miss the "context" when communicating in writing vs orally. Probably the cause of many an argument on message boards.

I know you gave me some light hearted grief about the use of :biggrin: in a prior post, but I often insert that icon to try and convey that I was just kidding or having fun in a comment I made and to provide some context to my post.

Actually I was having some fun with you telling me in the JC-Ashland game thread to basically stick to the Highlands threads and that no one asked me my opinion of the discussion going on in that thread (which I knew you did in fun), when you then later entered into one of the Highlands threads.

We're good on my end.
charlie22 Wrote:That's actually a great point. It is very easy to miss the "context" when communicating in writing vs orally. Probably the cause of many an argument on message boards.

I know you gave me some light hearted grief about the use of :biggrin: in a prior post, but I often insert that icon to try and convey that I was just kidding or having fun in a comment I made and to provide some context to my post.

Actually I was having some fun with you telling me in the JC-Ashland game thread to basically stick to the Highlands threads and that no one asked me my opinion of the discussion going on in that thread (which I knew you did in fun), when you then later entered into one of the Highlands threads.

We're good on my end.
I know that I'll be humming kumbaya all afternoon.

Have agoodun Chuck.:rockon:
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The difference is that today's kids are bigger, stronger, and faster. They are also much more wimpier. Kids have to take two or three days off from practice due to an ingrown toenail or a sniffle as kids 20, 30, and 40 years ago would play with broken bones.

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
"today's kids are bigger, stronger, and faster. They are also much more wimpier" So true! Watch a practice today and they dont even wear all their pads much of the time and take a gazillion water breaks. I played on the 85 Mayfield team and we were tougher but today kids have alot of advantages and training that make them superior in most cases just not as tough. By the way Mayfield is the only 1A team to ever beat a 4A state champion the year the 4A team won the title. I have old newspaper clippings in a scrap book of Mayfield's great run of titles in the late 70's and the 78 Cardinal team (that group won 36 in a row) was voted by the AP that year as the best team in any class. But as much as I want to say Pikeville in this argument I know that today's athletes are superior as are the schemes and I believe Highlands today would win going away
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:The '88 team was just as good if not better IMO.

Possibly so, did they still have big timmy playin in 88 or did he graduate with coach mac?
They take a gazellion water breaks because now by law they have to. In 85 how often did anyone hear of a player dropping dead during practice? It happen then but it was not national news like it is today. There is a TON of things that use to go on during practice that would get a lawsuit in a minute.

Being tough has nothing to do with the kids wearing pads during practice. It has to do with what the kid does during the offseason and his home. Kids do not play outside liek they use to. They do not work outside like they use to. Kids now have TV/Direct TV, cell phones, video games, internet, and a ton of other things. There is a ton of reasons kids are "softer" but less pads and more water is not one of them.
the watcher Wrote:Possibly so, did they still have big timmy playin in 88 or did he graduate with coach mac?
Tim was a SR on the '88 team.
[quote=barrel]They take a gazellion water breaks because now by law they have to. In 85 how often did anyone hear of a player dropping dead during practice? It happen then but it was not national news like it is today. There is a TON of things that use to go on during practice that would get a lawsuit in a minute.

Gee, no kidding there surelock holmes, glad to see u get the main point :eyeroll:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:[quote=barrel]They take a gazellion water breaks because now by law they have to. In 85 how often did anyone hear of a player dropping dead during practice? It happen then but it was not national news like it is today. There is a TON of things that use to go on during practice that would get a lawsuit in a minute.

Gee, no kidding there surelock holmes, glad to see u get the main point :eyeroll:

Not sure what point you are refering to. In your post it appeared from the context that you believed players were not as tough due in part to not practicing in full pads all the time and the number of water breaks. So what point am I missing?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's right Chuckie. Ya see, when you can type a clever little "lol", stategically spot a "haha" at the end of one of those knee slappers, or perhaps magically make one of those little smiley faces appear out of nowhere, that truely shows the whole world how much of a blast your havin.

Possibly in a few weeks you will be making a trip to the "big city" to see how the '09 JC team compares to the '09 Highlands team.:biggrin:

That will be really fun stuff.
warmachine Wrote:Pikeville would win. To big, to physical, to fast for Highlands. Those guys at Pikeville back then were MEN! 400 pound bench presses, jacked up to the gills. They were one SPECIAL team. Very SPECIAL.

Wasn't this the same thing that people said about Cincy St. Xavier this year in the pre game threads? How'd that Highlands-X game turn out again?

I'll admit I wasn't old enough to remember that 87' Pikeville team but I can guarantee you they wouldn't have been too big, fast, and physical for this year's Highlands team. I doubt very seriously they were bigger that St X:

X O-line:
OT 6'7 290, G 6'3 255, C 5'10 245, G 6'3 250, T 6'4 255

Highlands is never a big team but their team speed is always going to be superior to who they're playing. That was evident when Cam Dierig (5'9 155 lbs) was running circles around 6'7 290 Matt James when Highlands played X.

You're seriously underestimating Highlands speed on both sides of the ball if you say anyone would be too fast for them.

With that said though, this whole thread is moot since we'll never really know. It's nice for the old timers to wonder "what if" but honestly today's athletes are much different than back then. Different training, coaching, and overall philosophy when it comes to how the game is played.
Jet pilot is being a fool right here 5 years ago... hahaha
jetpilot Wrote:Don't know who would win, but Highlands could not stop Pikeville's running game. And class would not figure into it. And Pikeville didn't "have some shootouts" with Beechwood in 87, 88 and 89, they thoroughly thrashed them. Compare this Highlands team to the 87 Highlands team. How do they compare? Because the 1987 Pikeville team would have had their way with the 1987 Highlands team.

This is proof that after 5 years he still hasnt checked into rehab for his usage of crack.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Wasn't this the same thing that people said about Cincy St. Xavier this year in the pre game threads? How'd that Highlands-X game turn out again?

I'll admit I wasn't old enough to remember that 87' Pikeville team but I can guarantee you they wouldn't have been too big, fast, and physical for this year's Highlands team. I doubt very seriously they were bigger that St X:

X O-line:
OT 6'7 290, G 6'3 255, C 5'10 245, G 6'3 250, T 6'4 255

Highlands is never a big team but their team speed is always going to be superior to who they're playing. That was evident when Cam Dierig (5'9 155 lbs) was running circles around 6'7 290 Matt James when Highlands played X.

You're seriously underestimating Highlands speed on both sides of the ball if you say anyone would be too fast for them.

With that said though, this whole thread is moot since we'll never really know. It's nice for the old timers to wonder "what if" but honestly today's athletes are much different than back then. Different training, coaching, and overall philosophy when it comes to how the game is played.

I witnessed a dismantling of a very strong Cumberland team at their place in 87'. Their offensive line was bigger than Pikeville's. Cumberland by the way was no slouch either. This was for the region finals, and the Redskins hadn't lost a game at their place up until then. Pikeville's offense sliced through them like a knife through soft butter. Defense? They didn't call them the"BIG Dawg D" for nothing. Blew them out 26 - 0. Before that game, they whipped a VERY GOOD Pineville team by a 63 - 34 score. After Cumberland they took down mighty Beechwood 52 - 28 at Ft Mitchell. Then, on to the championship game . Russellville? Had this Huge all stator, 6'5" 280lb Britt kid playing tackle both ways, plus a huge line. Really no weakness in this team. Pikeville handled them to win it all 28 - 6. The point is Pikeville played some teams, especially in the playoffs with linemen as large, and larger than them, but still beat them. Btw, some of those scores could have been by a larger margin, but coach called the dawgs off early...... I think the score would have been close with the 87' highlands team, but Pikeville would have won this one.
qryche11 Wrote:Highlands hands down. That was a great Pikeville team but they were a great Class A team and we are talking about a 3A team in Highlands who plays a 5A/6A schedule.

Taking nothing away from that team because they had a very good recieving corps. I forgot their names Mcnamee maybe and Honaker. I just remember they had some shootouts with Beechwood.

That would be tight end Chris McNamee(current hc at PHS), and Wideout Robbie Wright.
QUOTE=MayfieldCardinal;854756]"today's kids are bigger, stronger, and faster. They are also much more wimpier" So true! Watch a practice today and they dont even wear all their pads much of the time and take a gazillion water breaks. I played on the 85 Mayfield team and we were tougher but today kids have alot of advantages and training that make them superior in most cases just not as tough. By the way Mayfield is the only 1A team to ever beat a 4A state champion the year the 4A team won the title. I have old newspaper clippings in a scrap book of Mayfield's great run of titles in the late 70's and the 78 Cardinal team (that group won 36 in a row) was voted by the AP that year as the best team in any class. But as much as I want to say Pikeville in this argument I know that today's athletes are superior as are the schemes and I believe Highlands today would win going away[/QUOTE]

I don't recall the AP putting out an overall poll at anytime. I do know that Lit placed Mayfield overall 1 in 1978.
Are you serious????

Highlands' starters - 42
Highlands' JV - 35

Pikeville - 6

Running clock by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Highlands could hang a hundy on the scoreboard if they want.
WideRight05 Wrote:Are you serious????

Highlands' starters - 42
Highlands' JV - 35

Pikeville - 6

Running clock by the middle of the 2nd quarter. Highlands could hang a hundy on the scoreboard if they want.

Very serious. If anyone was around during that season to watch them play, and be honest, there would be no doubt.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Very serious. If anyone was around during that season to watch them play, and be honest, there would be no doubt.

But you got 90% of the people on here who just started following football a few years ago who think they know it all without having even seen the teams play. They really don't have a clue.:zzz:
Played on undefeated State championship teams in 80's and I do know there is no comparision to the teams in the 80's to the teams in the 00's at Highlands. The teams now days would kill the teams from the 80's. I would think the same would be true against the Pikeville team.
Highlands wins. By a lot. The 1999 Highlands bluebirds beat Lawrence county 76-36 in the AAA semi-final. Lawrence had the best offense the mountains has EVER seen. The 2009 5A Bluebirds were 2 platooning, beat a nationally ranked team and had taken the program to a different level. Pikeville 1987 wouldn't even know how to line up against Highlands offense. The game has changed a lot.
jetpilot Wrote:But you got 90% of the people on here who just started following football a few years ago who think they know it all without having even seen the teams play. They really don't have a clue.:zzz:

Thinking with the heart instead of the brain. :HitWall:
:igiveup:1990 Ashland would have crushed them both!!!!!!!!!
T-CATS Wrote::igiveup:1990 Ashland would have crushed them both!!!!!!!!!

I remember that 90 Ashland team. They were great, but not that great. :dontthink
Pikeville could probably put together an all-time team and not come within four scores of the 09 Highlands team.