Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1987 Pikeville Panthers vs. 2009 Fort Thomas Highlands
Iam4thecats Wrote:Highlands wins. By a lot. The 1999 Highlands bluebirds beat Lawrence county 76-36 in the AAA semi-final. Lawrence had the best offense the mountains has EVER seen. The 2009 5A Bluebirds were 2 platooning, beat a nationally ranked team and had taken the program to a different level. Pikeville 1987 wouldn't even know how to line up against Highlands offense. The game has changed a lot.

I was at this game:HitWall:. I think we put more points on that Highlands team then any other team that year but it was not enough. :igiveup:
warmachine Wrote:Pikeville would win. To big, to physical, to fast for Highlands. Those guys at Pikeville back then were MEN! 400 pound bench presses, jacked up to the gills. They were one SPECIAL team. Very SPECIAL.

It was told by some of the players on that 87' team, that lineman Tim Honaker's bench press was somewhere over 500lbs. at that time. This was confirmed by coaches, fans, and was common knowledge. Tim wasn't exceptionally big though. 6'1"- 265. Very strong however.
How about the 1987 Pikeville Panthers vs the 1987 Paris Greyhounds?
Red Bird Wrote:How about the 1987 Pikeville Panthers vs the 1987 Paris Greyhounds?
Would have been a good game for about a quarter and a half. Maybe.
I played against that 87 Pikeville team and they were amazing. Strong , fast, smart and I dare say at that point in time the greatest single A to ever take the field but they are not Highlands. I personally do not believe that Highlands would beat them by 4-5 td's but I see at least 14 points .
Ran across this old thread. Can we start a thread that has a poll while we are in the off-season that we can vote on which have been the dumbest threads ever on bgr. I'd like to nominate this thread to be in the running. This is living proof that some fans can't be unbiased since some Pikeville fans actually think their team would have stood a chance.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Ran across this old thread. Can we start a thread that has a poll while we are in the off-season that we can vote on which have been the dumbest threads ever on bgr. I'd like to nominate this thread to be in the running. This is living proof that some fans can't be unbiased since some Pikeville fans actually think their team would have stood a chance.
Thread was actually started by a Belfry fan. And, reading thru it, actually quite a few non Pikeville people throwing votes to Pikeville. You had to see that team to believe it.
There were some great players on the 87' team that were Seniors which in part was why they were so dominate. Names like Chris McNamee, Robbie Wright, Robert Thomas, Jody Miller, Robbie Simpsom, Matt Blair, and Chad Thornsbury. However, the other part that made the "Beast from the East" was those 22 Juniors that went on to lead them to their 2nd state championship the next season in 1988. To say that team was loaded those two yrs. 87/88 would be an understatement. Someone previously stated "You would have to see them play up close to realize how good they were" said it right.
We will have to agree to disagree. 09 highlands team beat nationally ranked Cincy st x, who was as good as anyone in ohio. They ended up beating elder, trinity, Lou st x, moehller, and colerain. They lost by 3 in a rematch to elder in the playoffs by 3, who lost to the eventual ohio division 1 state champs by 4. There where a number of teams pretty even in ohios Biggest division that year, and st x was 1 of them, and highlands beat them. Pikeville was ranked 12th in kentucky, that in no way is in the same league as the top 5 teams in ohio. There have been plenty of 1a teams that where as dominant over there opponents as Pikeville was. Danville, and mayfield where both as good as Pikeville that year, and none of there fans would make the claim they where world beaters. So they beat a 4 loss russellville team by 22 in the championship, big deal I've seen many teams roll through the playoffs more dominant than that, that I wouldn't say was in the same league as highlands in 09.
Let's go way back. Belfry of 1966 was supposed to be unbeatable. Highlands beat them 40 to 7 in the play offs and it could have been 60 to 7.
bo67 Wrote:Let's go way back. Belfry of 1966 was supposed to be unbeatable. Highlands beat them 40 to 7 in the play offs and it could have been 60 to 7.

Huh??

?????

That Belfry team had three losses including a 56-6 loss to Bluefield, WV and even lost to to Williamson, WV in the regular season