Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK settles with Gillispie for $2.9 million
Per WKYT:

UK has agreed to pay Billy Gillispie over $2.9 million, plus lawyer fees.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (October 13, 2009) - The University of Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Athletic Association, and Billy Gillispie are pleased to announce that they have executed a settlement agreement. This agreement, accomplished through a voluntary mediation process, is a fair and final settlement and resolves all litigation between the parties.

As a result of this agreement, all legal proceedings by and between the University of Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Athletic Association, and Mr. Gillispie will be dismissed.

The University will have no further comment on the settlement agreement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
what were the original figures that both parties were discussing?

I am trying to figure out who got the better of this deal.
For 2.9 million bucks it would be hard for me to say that Gillespie didn't get the better end of the deal.

If he didnt get what he wanted, I can hear the press conference after the meeting. Would probably go something like, "Welp... We just got whipped in there... That's all I can say, we just got whipped..."
hellbilly Wrote:For 2.9 million bucks it would be hard for me to say that Gillespie didn't get the better end of the deal.

If he didnt get what he wanted, I can hear the press conference after the meeting. Would probably go something like, "Welp... We just got whipped in there... That's all I can say, we just got whipped..."

I wish i could drive a Program into the ground and get paid 2.9 million
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I wish i could drive a Program into the ground and get paid 2.9 million

Haha... Yeah. I'd do that for U of L free of charge!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:
hellbilly Wrote:Haha... Yeah. I'd do that for U of L free of charge!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

looks like someone beat u 2 it
Yeah but they are getting paid. I'm a cheap **** when it comes to running U of L into the ground! lol
2.9 million will sure buy alot of alcohol..Smile
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:2.9 million will sure buy alot of alcohol..Smile

:lmao: Stop it! :biggrin:
2.9 million bucks....MAN, that's A LOT of.........BEER!!!!!
I think it's ridiculous personally. UK could have come out of this by paying him a lot less had it gone to court. I think the University just wanted to get rid of him and move on so they paid him 2.9 million. Had they really forced this to a trial, I don't think UK would had to have paid him much at all, especially after all the stories leak out about how the players were mistreated.
The university doesn't want to give the appearance to any present or future coaches that they may decide to fire you & not pay your contract..
BCF4L Wrote:I think it's ridiculous personally. UK could have come out of this by paying him a lot less had it gone to court. I think the University just wanted to get rid of him and move on so they paid him 2.9 million. Had they really forced this to a trial, I don't think UK would had to have paid him much at all, especially after all the stories leak out about how the players were mistreated.

I'm with you on this. I personally am bothered that they paid him as much as they did for basically no reason. Had to gone to court they may have gone away not paying him a dime but I guess it got him out of their hair faster and that was that. $2.9 million should put you into a REALLY good rehab program....
BCF4L Wrote:I think it's ridiculous personally. UK could have come out of this by paying him a lot less had it gone to court. I think the University just wanted to get rid of him and move on so they paid him 2.9 million. Had they really forced this to a trial, I don't think UK would had to have paid him much at all, especially after all the stories leak out about how the players were mistreated.

Not at all. First off, if this had gone to jury trial, the defendant loses these trials. With it being a contract, no way would UK have not been in a winable situation. They breached the contract, they would have been put into a position to not only pay the remainder of the contract but would have been liable for personal damages as well.

Trust me, when BCG got the last DUI, it was he who was no longer in a position to wait. He settled, not UK. He is in need of money, thus he could not wait for a trial. It was in his favor to settle. For UK, since their attorneys are on retainer anyhow, there was no loss of legal fees as this dragged on.

As for the player mistreatment leaks, those would not held up in court for contractural procedures unless that was the reason why he was terminated. Since this termination had nothing to do with player treatment, then these stories would never have surfaced in a trial.
dont care who come out to the good now finally we can get back to the real task at hand winning this national chamionship
There go more of South Eastern Kentucky money. I am so grad someone else other then Louisville and Lexington is getting our money. What are they going to do when they sing that new bill. They will close the mines down. We will get Louisville and Lexington money then...
It is so funny how things easy trun around.
Stardust Wrote:Not at all. First off, if this had gone to jury trial, the defendant loses these trials. With it being a contract, no way would UK have not been in a winable situation. They breached the contract, they would have been put into a position to not only pay the remainder of the contract but would have been liable for personal damages as well.

Trust me, when BCG got the last DUI, it was he who was no longer in a position to wait. He settled, not UK. He is in need of money, thus he could not wait for a trial. It was in his favor to settle. For UK, since their attorneys are on retainer anyhow, there was no loss of legal fees as this dragged on.

As for the player mistreatment leaks, those would not held up in court for contractural procedures unless that was the reason why he was terminated. Since this termination had nothing to do with player treatment, then these stories would never have surfaced in a trial.
Thing is, Gillispie never really had a contract. It was a memorandum of understanding. While it may act as a contract, there was wording in it that kind of made it sound as if it was void if he didn't sign his contract within a certain time period. Also, it said in the MOU that the University had the right to let him go under certain circumstances. With this DUI, and his mistreating of players, I think they had "cause" to let him go.
BCF4L Wrote:Thing is, Gillispie never really had a contract. It was a memorandum of understanding. While it may act as a contract, there was wording in it that kind of made it sound as if it was void if he didn't sign his contract within a certain time period. Also, it said in the MOU that the University had the right to let him go under certain circumstances. With this DUI, and his mistreating of players, I think they had "cause" to let him go.

I'm seconding BC on this one as well. He had no legal binding contract and therefore we did not owe him any money.
Gillispie was suing for 6 million and UK settled for exactly 2.98 million. After legal fees from attornies and moderators it came out to approximately 2.7 million. So be it still quite a big chunk of money i guess it was a fair deal since they settled in the middle.
BCF4L Wrote:Thing is, Gillispie never really had a contract. It was a memorandum of understanding. While it may act as a contract, there was wording in it that kind of made it sound as if it was void if he didn't sign his contract within a certain time period. Also, it said in the MOU that the University had the right to let him go under certain circumstances. With this DUI, and his mistreating of players, I think they had "cause" to let him go.

Which is a contract. I think too often people get hung up on what a contract is. Too often people believe it to be some written document that dictates in black and white what both parties agree to is a contract. Un-uh. If two or more parties agree in principal to a service, THAT is a contract! These instances go to court every day and if it is proven that a discussion was entered for services - game over! That is a contract. No signature. No filed piece of paper. It's an agreement. There is ton's of legal writs on this, thus it's not too hard to verify the validity of this. As for cause to let him go, no question about it.

They may certainly have had their reason for letting him go, but was it due to him "breaking a contract"? I guess our above discussion proves there was no written stipulations that allowed UK to break their end of the contract, because there was obviously nothing in writing that stipulated what grounds they could release him from their responsibility to pay him for services that they agreed upon.
leecoukfan Wrote:Gillispie was suing for 6 million and UK settled for exactly 2.98 million. After legal fees from attornies and moderators it came out to approximately 2.7 million. So be it still quite a big chunk of money i guess it was a fair deal since they settled in the middle.

You have your thought backwards. Gillispie did sue for $6M. UK offered $2.98M. Gillispie accepted that offer, meaning he was willing to settle for $3.1M less than what he was seeking.

No matter how this is cut, UK would never have settled for a $3M buyout if they did not think they would lose. BCG had to have the money, thus he was willing to forfeit this waiting another two years before it ever went to court.