Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 38 Cov. Holy Cross 21
final
Final.
Nice win for NCC. Holy Cross thought this was the year they would win the district and it thats not the case. NCC 2-0 in the district now.
Congrats NCC
Brady Hightchew had 185 yrds on 14 carries at one point in the 2nd half. He is going to be a very fine player at NCC over the next two seasons.

The Breds seemed to do whatever they wanted on offense tonight. Congrats to them on the big District win.
qryche11 Wrote:Brady Hightchew had 185 yrds on 14 carries at one point in the 2nd half. He is going to be a very fine player at NCC over the next two seasons.

The Breds seemed to do whatever they wanted on offense tonight. Congrats to them on the big District win.

Nice job considering he has never quarterbacked before. It was asking a lot of Brady to make this move, but with a backfield of Kelly, Hightchew and Cain, this team will be back in the palyoff mix in a big way
Holy Cross 7 0 0 14 -- 21
NewCath 7 14 10 7 -- 38

HC – Smith 1 run (Norris kick)
NCC – Kelly 1 run (Miller kick)
NCC – Doyle 39 pass from Hightchew (Miller kick)
NCC – Kelly 2 run (Miller kick)
NCC – Kelly 8 run (Miller kick)
NCC – Miller 21 field goal
HC – Jasper 15 pass from CityplaceWalker (Norris kick)
NCC – Kelly 3 run (Miller kick)
HC – placeCityWalker 38 run (Norris kick)
Records: HC 3-4, 0-1, NCC 3-5 2-0
Kentucky.com
The early-season reports of Newport Central Catholic’s demise were widespread and well-documented in Northern Kentucky football circles.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310090131/

The Thoroughbreds, coming off four straight state championship game appearances, were lacking in numbers. They were lacking in talent. They were starting an inexperienced sophomore quarterback against an over-their-head schedule. And their closest district rival was breathing down their necks.

The reports, as it turns out, were greatly exaggerated.

• Photos: 'Breds 38, Indians 21

On a soggy night at Newport Stadium, the Thoroughbreds once again proved themselves as the class of placeNorthern Kentucky’s Class 2A district with a 38-21 victory over Holy Cross.

“I feel like we’re the champion of this district until somebody beats us,” NewCath coach Bob Schneider said. “… This is what it’s all about. This is fun.”

Paced by a two-back running attack, NewCath jumped out to a 21-7 halftime lead and dictated the game’s tempo throughout the second half. The Thoroughbreds ran 29 second-half plays from scrimmage. Every one was a running play for quarterback Brady Hightchew or running back Chris Kelly.

The two cousins combined for 366 rushing yards (217 for Hightchew and 159 for Kelly).

“We’ve been playing together since we were 6 or 7 years old,” Kelly said. “I know what he can do and he ran great tonight. When they keyed on me, he took over.”
After the Indians took a 7-0 lead, Hightchew set up the tying score with a 42-yard run. Kelly punched it in form a yard out for his first of four touchdown runs.

Early in the second quarter, NewCath took the lead on a 39-yard touchdown pass from Hightchew to a wide-open Brian Doyle.

“I’ve got seniors that should never happen to,” Holy Cross coach Bruce Kozerski said. “Whether it was a miscommunication or whatever, somebody should have covered the guy who was wide-open.”

NewCath threw only one pass the rest of the game.

Hightchew’s performance was the best of his varsity career. The sophomore, who wears No. 32 under center, originally was slated to play wide receiver. He became the team’s starting quarterback after junior Jake Cain injured his arm during summer baseball.

“I’ve never played quarterback in my entire football career,” he said. “Being a quarterback at NewCath is basically about being athletic. They put me there and it’s been a learning experience.”

Holy Cross, ranked 10th in the Enquirer coaches’ poll, cut the lead to 31-14 with 10:21 to play on a 15-yard pass from Markel Walker to Josh Jasper, but unranked NewCath put the game away with a 3-yard touchdown run from Kelly.

Walker, a senior who plays multiple offensive positions, was Schneider’s biggest concern entering the game. He finished with 95 rushing yards and no receptions.
After starting the season 1-5, NewCath has started its district schedule with two straight victories.

“We always knew we were a good team,” Kelly said. “I think we’re the best 3-5 team around, maybe in the state of placeStateKentucky.”
NewCath entered the 2006 postseason 5-5, then rallied for a Class 1A state championship.

“That’s what we’re trying to do,” Schneider said. “We want to get on a roll and go into the playoffs 5-5 again.”
HC is improved but I think this game just goes to show that regardless of how down NCC is, they are still the class of 2A football here in nky.
^ yes they are, which makes them a legitimate State champion threat every year
Highchew has some nice wheels and is not a small kid. He has nice size for a sophomore and will be one of the top players in the area by the time he is a SR.
^ agreed
Stardust Wrote:^ yes they are, which makes them a legitimate State champion threat every year

I think they might be a championship game threat, but at the moment they look to be a bit one-dimensional to be champs. Stranger things have happened, but they'll likely need some help along the way.
At 1A and 2A, you can still get away with being one dimensional on offense as long as you have a strong Defense. NCC is getting better each week on the Defensive side of the ball.
Stardust Wrote:At 1A and 2A, you can still get away with being one dimensional on offense as long as you have a strong Defense. NCC is getting better each week on the Defensive side of the ball.

Against Ft. Campbell, though? :yikes: I'd REALLY practice throwing from here on out.
As I mentioned above, State Champion threat. They defintely have their hands full, but IMO, they are one of the few teams that can compete with FC. Their defense is getting better. HC had a very versitle offense. I was impressed how NCC forced themselves on HC and literally took the game. NCC has a very underated line, a line that I beleive can move the ball against anyone in the state. Their issue will certainly be "can they make the pass when they have to"?
Stardust Wrote:Their issue will certainly be "can they make the pass when they have to"?

I'd buy that, and they seemed to do okay last night. Still, I'd say they'll be an underdog if they make it to BG. (I'd love to see them there. I've got a friend whose kid is a senior on the team.)
Not many Seniors this year is there?
Stardust Wrote:Not many Seniors this year is there?

8 I think.
Stardust Wrote:Not many Seniors this year is there?

No, the future isn't looking terrible on the hill.
NCC41 Wrote:8 I think.

How many are linemen. That's where I fear will be the issue for NCC in the next couple of years.
50 Paul Eviston Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
9 Phil Wagner Off: WR,Def: DB, Sr.
59 Garrett Brown Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
65 Jake Smith Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
68 Mike Leopold Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
73 Zack Russell Off: OL,Def: DL, Sr.
26 Mike Smith Off: WR,Def: DL, Sr.
35 Austin Siemer Off: WR,Def: DB,