Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 5th and 6th grade teams in the mountains.
bigperm47 Wrote:This is a good argument for all the teams going on about the teams, but the question is who is the best now. Betsy Layne just beat letcher 16-6 and it could have been worse. The same letcher team that went to shelby valley and only lost 6-0 two weeks ago. BL finished on a 6 game winning streak and was playing the best football of their season. With the team finishing 7-3 the loses came early when the inexperienced line was learning how to block. In the last two weeks they be AB Combs and a consolidated effort from both combs schools in perry county along with chavies and willard elementary schools besides letcher. I would think that now they would be a tough out by any of the mountains 5th and 6th grade teams. The offense began slow and finished strong.

Evarts played Letcher at Letcher the score was EVARTS 34 Letcher 0! And that was with their coaches in the back field like it was pee wee football! very strange but oh well!:lmao:
bigperm47 Wrote:This is a good argument for all the teams going on about the teams, but the question is who is the best now. Betsy Layne just beat letcher 16-6 and it could have been worse. The same letcher team that went to shelby valley and only lost 6-0 two weeks ago. BL finished on a 6 game winning streak and was playing the best football of their season. With the team finishing 7-3 the loses came early when the inexperienced line was learning how to block. In the last two weeks they be AB Combs and a consolidated effort from both combs schools in perry county along with chavies and willard elementary schools besides letcher. I would think that now they would be a tough out by any of the mountains 5th and 6th grade teams. The offense began slow and finished strong.
LCC and Betsy Layne played earlier in the season and LCC won 14-6, and it could have been 30-0. LCC had 8 starters out of town yesterday for the game with Betsy Layne, and Betsy Layne 3-4 new players for the game yesterday, one of them which I know was a 7th grader.
Goldylox Wrote:Evarts played Letcher at Letcher the score was EVARTS 34 Letcher 0! And that was with their coaches in the back field like it was pee wee football! very strange but oh well!:lmao:

Your attitude is childish. I question your age. Harlan Co. is the only county that doesn't have coaches on the field, btw.
Betsy Lane is only good if they play their 7th graders. I mean how fair was it for Betsy Lane to play a 7th grader against the LCC 5th/6th graders? LCC had 8 starters that weren’t there for that game and the score was 16 to 6. How can you people rank Betsy Lane #1 when LCC beat them 14-6 earlier in the season, when they didn’t play their 7th graders. The best team in the mountain would be either Belfry or Shelby Valley, LCC played Shelby Valley 2 times this year losing both, but they were both close games.
Belfry, Highlands, Pikeville, LCC best teams SV has played this year. Belfry beat us twice 1point one game and 6 in the other. We beat the other three by no more than 6 points all 4 are really good teams.
Evarts would have to be the best 5th and 6th team in harlan county
JP55 Wrote:Evarts is the best in the mountains.. hands down. Shelby Valley is second. You can debate it all you want, but that's how it is.
How can this be when belfrys 6th grade has beat valleys 6th grade twice
padd4pirate Wrote:How can this be when belfrys 6th grade has beat valleys 6th grade twice

Good point, both Belfry and Shelby Valley are great teams. However, you gotta give the edge to Belfry since they beat valley two times.
For the three Big Sandy Counties that have more than 1 team, I see it this way; I have seen all of these teams.
Johnson Co.
JCMS--A fundamentally sound team. Well coached team
Paintsville--Have 2 incredible skill players.
Pike County
Belfy--Good fundamentals. Great skill players
Shelby Valley-Can be great or awful. It all depends on what team shows up, but it makes sense afterall they're kids
Pikeville-Has shown steady improvement each game
Floyd County
Adams--Good fundamentals, great skills. Well coached team
Betsy Layne--Thye have the weapons, but don't seem to know how to use them at times. They are a lot like Valley in that they have great potential that will come around as the players mature
Let"s be clear about one thing , when , we're talking about BL, Coach Griffin and his team have improved greatly since the start of the season, but, it's funny to me to see folks talk about 7 graders , none !!!!!!!, I speak from knowing the other coaches and teams in this thread, we all have (holdbacks) if you say you don't you're probably not as tuned in with you're team as you think you are! (do the research folks)! Which I support this process 150 percent (it''s you're kids not mine ! ). If you play within the rules more power to you and yours, back to the topic, SV was the best team we played all year (IMOP) so if you beat them congrats. I'd still love to see a 15 regional tourn. at all levels 3-8 to decide champions on the field , not, on line ! Keep them playing football it's the greatest team sport known to mankind !
Start a petition. I totally agree saratoga, 3rd thru 6th need a tourney too. Thats more time on the field which makes better football players. No matter who wins this extra competition and experience will pay off at the next level. Isn't that what all their hard work is all about. These kids play because they love the game and they deserve a chance the be the best the can be.
Saratoga_86 Wrote:Let"s be clear about one thing , when , we're talking about BL, Coach Griffin and his team have improved greatly since the start of the season, but, it's funny to me to see folks talk about 7 graders , none !!!!!!!, I speak from knowing the other coaches and teams in this thread, we all have (holdbacks) if you say you don't you're probably not as tuned in with you're team as you think you are! (do the research folks)! Which I support this process 150 percent (it''s you're kids not mine ! ). If you play within the rules more power to you and yours, back to the topic, SV was the best team we played all year (IMOP) so if you beat them congrats. I'd still love to see a 15 regional tourn. at all levels 3-8 to decide champions on the field , not, on line ! Keep them playing football it's the greatest team sport known to mankind !

It's pathetic that a team has to play 7th graders, and then have to fight they're hearts out... to barely win.
ballerfan 1 Wrote:I've tried my best to watch as many teams as possible this year, but you can't watch them all. If I had to pick SOME top teams in the Mountains -- From what I've seen-- : (And this is no particular order) Johnson Central, Evarts, Highlands, Adams, Paintsville, ShelbyVallley, Betsy Layne(with their 7th grade playing) and Johns Creek. I would love to see a B Team tournament. I think the Big Sandy Valley Conference should have a B Team league. If I left someone out I'm sorry, that is why a Big Sandy Valley Conference Tournament for the B Team would be such a great idea. Great job this season for the teams listed, you deserve to be recognized for your hard work.

i dont think you can put Johns Creek in the mix they were beaten badly by a W.R Castle team from johnson county. And W.R finished 4-4 4th place in johnon county. Dont get me wrong though Johns creek in one of the classiest team i have seen in person.
near the end of the season with teams i have seen are adams,paintsville,betsylane,belfry,sv,central elementry,highlands,
NO ORDER
Who is the team going to the Mt. Sterling tourney as the "East KY Thunder"? From the looks of the teams that are going to be in it there should be some good games. Corbin, Hazard, SV, Montgomery Co. (big school system), Madison Middle (bigger school system). Who do you think is the best of that bunch?
Belfry 6th and 8th grade teams are on their way
We are looking forward to some very good football games this weekend. As far as who is the best, well, that is why the games are being played. I would expect all of these teams to make good showings this weekend.
By the way, the weather is calling for some rain. We will play the games no matter the weather. Rain or shine. We have approx. 180 trophies to give away for all tourny teams as well as MVP awards. Should be a great day.
The East Ky Thunder team is a combo team from P-burg, P-ville, and Central (They should be very good).
Evarts has as good a QB/RB combo as you will find. Jarrett Ford is about 6' at quarterback and Cameron Cornett is tough to bring down. I would say the Letcher score at 34-0 shows that the Wildcats are as good sa anyone in the mountains. Evarts also beat Stinnett 50-0, PPennington Gap, Va. 30-0, Pineville 34-6 and Lynn Camp 32-18. Their outscored opponents 306-64 on the season.