Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Players in Pike Co.
lets here some ideas
Its the richardsonnkid from vms...he played with us (sv basketball) in open gym the other day.....the kid will develop greatly in about 3 years
Cameron Justice may be the best young player I have seen in a long time. I am looking forward to see how well he matches up against other good players such as Virgie's Richardson.
Cougar Connection Wrote:Cameron Justice may be the best young player I have seen in a long time. I am looking forward to see how well he matches up against other good players such as Virgie's Richardson.

Would have to agree from what I've seen Justice and Richardson are two of the better players in the county and if the big boy from Dorton(Belter) has gotten any stronger you can add him to the list because 6'8" or so is hard to defend and is a difference maker, especially in grade school. What grades are Justice and Richardson are they both seventh graders?
2hard2guard Wrote:Would have to agree from what I've seen Justice and Richardson are two of the better players in the county and if the big boy from Dorton(Belter) has gotten any stronger you can add him to the list because 6'8" or so is hard to defend and is a difference maker, especially in grade school. What grades are Justice and Richardson are they both seventh graders?

Cameron Justice is in the 7th..
2hard2guard Wrote:Would have to agree from what I've seen Justice and Richardson are two of the better players in the county and if the big boy from Dorton(Belter) has gotten any stronger you can add him to the list because 6'8" or so is hard to defend and is a difference maker, especially in grade school. What grades are Justice and Richardson are they both seventh graders?

You are right, 6'8'' will be HARD to defend for other post players in this region. The biggest that I know of other than him is around 6'2'' and not the same caliber of player. Looking for to seeing Justice play, period. I think he will fair as one of the best players in the county, if not the best.
Andrew Newsome and Jon Johnson from Virgie are around 6'3 to 6'4".
dalton richardson from vms will be the best player in pike by far.this young man is a 7th grader who has it all.great penatrator sees the floor as good as any kid at this level.also shoots the ball excellant and can jump out of the gym.VMS is loaded and should dominate.and the BELTER kid from dorton is really somthing special' GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS.
There is a lot of talent in Pike County this year. Like was stated before, Richardson and Justice are unbelievable. Justice really impressed me this summer with his knowledge of the game. Richardson is a great athlete who presents matchup problems for any team. Belter (now 6' 9 1/2") has a lot of potential also. He isn't just good because he is big. He has good footwork and hands, but does lack in lower body strength. If he works at that he will be a good high school player as well.
:devilflami agree. the belter kid with the right trainer, a little more coordination some uper body strentgh could be a good div.1 player.and alot of this will come with age.good luck.
The Belter kid will get better with time. He has a longs ways to go to be a division 1 player. It's hard to judge someone when everyone they play is 5 inches shorter than them. He does have good hands and decent feet just not as strong in the post as he could be.

As far as the best talent in Pike County, Richardson is one of the most athletic players i have saw in a while. The Justice kid is up there too. He will definitely be a great addition to the Feds Creek roster. Coach Brody Justice could be coach of the year if he has the year i see them having.
:devilflamifyasmell-i agree this kid has a long way to go.if i was his brother i would try and get him a personal trainer and start grooming him for the future.after all they are not alot of 7ft guys out there.
I would agree that he needs a personal trainer.

Randy Davis is a good coach and smart man but hes not an inside coach. I have seen Dorton make trips down the floor and Belter not touch the ball. If you got someone 6'9" and hes your best player..... hes got to touch the ball. Make them double team him and then kick the ball out to a team mate for a 3. That's what i would do but I'm not the coach.
ifyasmell Wrote:I would agree that he needs a personal trainer.

Randy Davis is a good coach and smart man but hes not an inside coach. I have seen Dorton make trips down the floor and Belter not touch the ball. If you got someone 6'9" and hes your best player..... hes got to touch the ball. Make them double team him and then kick the ball out to a team mate for a 3. That's what i would do but I'm not the coach.

It's funny that you see it that way, but I have heard several comments made from people inside and outside the team that Belter is the only one who shoots the ball because we throw it to him so much. If you were to ask any player on our team how many times per practice or game they hear, "when you have a guy 6'9" you have to get the ball inside", they'd tell you it's alot. If you have seen many games, most of our plays (inbounds and half court offense) center around getting Belter the ball. This summer he had 40+ points twice, and 30+ five times. The change from this year to next year will be almost as big as when we lost Elisha 4 years ago because we relied on that one player so much.

This team is as unselfish as any I've coached and they have no problem with Belter shooting 20+ shots because they want to win and they know that's our best chance. Our point guard gets little credit, but he will open some eyes this year with how much he has improved. His size will hurt him against certain teams who are longer/bigger, but he is a heady player who will sacrifice himself for the team every day of the week.

As far as the personal trainer, I think his brother will do that in the next couple of years. Belter already lifts weights fairly often, but at this stage it is hard for him to put on muscle. He is up to 218 lbs this season though so I think he will play a little stronger.
Coach i didn't mean to get you all upset. As i said in my post i think you're a wonderful coach. You have done wonderful things with girls and boys basketball at Dorton.

My statement wasn't meant to be taken as tho you never got Belter touches. Sounds like he is getting the touches he needs to keep you all competitive and winning. Anytime you have someone 6'9" you are a contender.

As far as your PG i never once said anything about him. I like the kid personally and hope he does well this year. You have several good players on your team and with Caudill transferring to Dorton that gives you another good player.

But coach i never meant it to sound as negative as it did. I am sorry and apologize for it. The truth is Dorton has a good chance to win it all this year. I have said in other post that Dorton, Virgie, and Belfry are my choices for who should win the county. Any of those teams could get hot at the right time and win it all.
ifyasmell Wrote:Coach i didn't mean to get you all upset. As i said in my post i think you're a wonderful coach. You have done wonderful things with girls and boys basketball at Dorton.

My statement wasn't meant to be taken as tho you never got Belter touches. Sounds like he is getting the touches he needs to keep you all competitive and winning. Anytime you have someone 6'9" you are a contender.

As far as your PG i never once said anything about him. I like the kid personally and hope he does well this year. You have several good players on your team and with Caudill transferring to Dorton that gives you another good player.

But coach i never meant it to sound as negative as it did. I am sorry and apologize for it. The truth is Dorton has a good chance to win it all this year. I have said in other post that Dorton, Virgie, and Belfry are my choices for who should win the county. Any of those teams could get hot at the right time and win it all.

I appreciate the kind words. I also didn't mean my post to sound like I was upset. After re-reading what I had typed I guess it did sound a little defensive, but all I meant was that it's funny how people can see things so differently (I had just never heard anyone say we didn't get the ball to Belter enough). The statement I made about Jesse wasn't directed at anything you said, I just mentioned him for people on here who maybe don't know who he is because I consider him one of the better players in Pike County as well (the title of this thread). People don't always agree with what coaches do and I realize that. I really do appreciate what you said about our team and if what I said sounded negative I apologize.

As far as me not being a big man coach, I do understand what you're saying. We had always had great guards and not alot of big men until Belter, so our style has changed quite a bit from a quick, pressing, 3 point shooting team to more of a slow it down, pound it inside team. I look forward to this season because I think there are several competitive teams in the county and some players who really stand out.
I agree 100% coach. This year should be a fun year for middle school basketball.

Yeah i guess i should have worded my post a little different too. I should have said it like you did. Over the years the Dorton teams i have saw had lot of guards and played transition basketball.

So coach lets put this behind us and move on. Good luck this season and i look forward to seeing you play.
well personally i am a dorton player.He does say get the ball inside alot. we do have a great team and players and i think we are championshp material.
Dorton was championship material before the transfer kid ever came into player. They will play just as well without him as they will with him.
Dorton's guard play is not strong enough to beat Virgie when it counts. Although that may be quite possible at Dorton because they will be difficult to beat at home. However, on a neutral site, no contest IMO. Richardson, Bowling, and Rowe to much for the wildcats in the back court. That has been proven in previous matchups the last few years.
Would love to see Dylan Meade play with Belter that would make a really good combo.
I really like Justice's game. He is a solid player at the 7th grade level.
i think the belter kid is really good but he can b great if he had lower body strength
i have heard rumors that the richardson boy is good but he is not as good as people think
and the justice boy,he is young.....he will b great if he keeps at it,he is just 2 young compared 2 some of the other players
Any info on the Justice kid from Feds Creek?

#?
Height?
What he does well?
Etc.
Any info on the Justice kid from Feds Creek?

#?
Height?
What he does well?
Etc.

#: 5
Height: 5'-9" to 6'
What he does well: He is 3-D player ( Defense, Drive, Decisions)
A NATURAL 7TH grader.. NO HOLDBACK.

Anything other information will have to be recieved at the games.
Best players in county are...

1.Dillion Meade (Mullins) G/F
2.Cameron Justice (Feds Creek) G
3.Dalton Richarderson (Virgie) G/F
4.Cody Belter (Dorton) C
5.Andrew Newsome (Virgie) C
6.Austin Kidd (Pikeville) F/C
7.Gage Raye (Mullins) F
8.# 23 ??? (Feds Creek) G
9.Ethan Blankenship (Johns Creek) C
10.Damon Adkins (Mullins) G
Seriously I don't know who HALF of these kids are.
just to let ya know the name is spelled Gaige Ray....
not the other ways ya'll spell'em....
and thanks for everything...
stats and all...
bball_fan Wrote:Best players in county are...

4.Cody Belter (Dorton) C
7.Gage Raye (Mullins) F
i think that Marcus Johnson of mullins should be listed as one of the top players in pike county in every game they has played thus far he has stepped up big for the tigers an also he is averaging 20pts 16 rebounds 5blocks and have made big shots an rebounds when his team needed it most give the kid some love
bball_fan Wrote:Best players in county are...

4.Cody Belter (Dorton) C
7.Gage Raye (Mullins) F

#23 Is johnny miller from fedscreek