Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you Start at QB?
So the debate has began once again after the route we took against Florida. Who should start as Kentucky's QB, should it continue to be Hartline, go to an inexperienced Will Fidler, WR Cobb or go to one of your true freshman on the bench Morgan Newton or Ryan Mossakowski? This thread is for you to make educated and a wise analysis. I dont want to heart Hartline sucks, so it needs to have good reasoning to back up your decision. You are the Coach now so what is your gameday decision?

Thinking about doing a weekly gameday decision.
There is no quarterback controversy. Mike Hartline is the starting quarterback. Mossakowski has been redshirted, so it obviously isn't him. Fidler hasn't shown in limited time that he is capable of performing better than Hartline, and if you take Cobb out of the wide receiver position, you're only going to downgrade that group of players even more. Right now, Cobb and Matthews are the ONLY proven receivers on this team. Take Cobb out, and it's not going to to be hard to stop this team's passing attack. The problem right now, and I think you can trace it to Phillips and Sanders, is that the playmakers aren't getting the ball enough in space. Look at Florida...James, Rainey, Hernandez, they all get the ball where they are matched up one-on-one with a defender and by that time, it's no contest. We've got Locke, Matthews, Cobb, and Smith. Get them the ball in space and things will happen, and I don't mean bubble screens. Hartline is NOT the problem. He IS the starting quarterback this season because he gives us the best chance to win. He's got the better record, and I could care less about his opponents. he's got the better stats (very similar to Woodson, and he turned out alright). We, as UK fans have no right to be spoiled. 2-1 is where we should be right now.
Morgan Newton
Mike Hartline is obviously our best option. Outside of him its Fidler & Cobb.

Our coaching staff is not going to make a change. Hartline may not be the most talented out of the bunch, but he does have the most experience and the players believe in him.
If it's not going to be Hartline, then it's going to be Fiddler, with some of Cobb out of the Wildcat. Neither of our Frosh will start this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it get bad when we play Alabama like it did against Florida, then I would give Morgan Newton a few snaps. I think we should consider. If he does bad, then it is no different than what has happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Let Newton And Cobb Run the Wildcat
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Mike Hartline is obviously our best option. Outside of him its Fidler & Cobb.

Our coaching staff is not going to make a change. Hartline may not be the most talented out of the bunch, but he does have the most experience and the players believe in him.

I couldnt have said it better myself.
Micah Johnson. He can't be worse than what we have. Plus, he could really avoid the rush and run a mean QB draw. Big Grin
Jesus! I cannot believe we have this argument again.. Hartline is the man for the job. I mean we were playing Florida and the nation's best defense. He didn't have the best game in the world but he didn't stink it up either.

I mean honestly what do you people expect him to do? Come in and just dominate a championship defense? You want him to go downfield with the ball, then you need to get rid of Joker.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Jesus! I cannot believe we have this argument again.. Hartline is the man for the job. I mean we were playing Florida and the nation's best defense. He didn't have the best game in the world but he didn't stink it up either.

I mean honestly what do you people expect him to do? Come in and just dominate a championship defense? You want him to go downfield with the ball, then you need to get rid of Joker.
THANK YOU!!!! :Thumbs:
Hartline. No if's and's or but's.
Ok I think Newton should be....for one hartline is the sorriest execuse for QB...and secondly if he has more expierence why is he no better, and start over and let newton get the start and some expierece instead of lettine hartline destroy them
theVILLE Wrote:Ok I think Newton should be....for one hartline is the sorriest execuse for QB...and secondly if he has more expierence why is he no better, and start over and let newton get the start and some expierece instead of lettine hartline destroy them

Here we go again! theVILLE is back to start his rants just like he did over basketball season :biggrin:
This weeks game is hartlines last shot. He can't throw further than five yards! Bama's D IMO is tougher than Floridas. You've got to get the ball down field and keep the D honest. If hartline goes to he11 go with Newton. The reps can only help him for the upcoming season.
Saying Morgan Newton should start this season is crazy! The SEC has the biggest, fastest, strongest defenses in the country, and to have a true freshman starting would be near suicide. Can you imagine having a 19 year old kid taking the hit that Tim Tebow took? Even Tim Tebow wasn't the #! QB for Florida his freshman year. Matt Barkley has had a great year, but what defenses has he faced? Ohio State? They lost nearly their whole defense, plus we've seen what the SEC offenses can do against them. Hartline is the starter this season. Next season may be different. Give Newton and Mossakowski time to get stronger, smarter, and develop into the quarterbacks we all know they will become. But not this season. This year it's Hartline and Fidler.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Saying Morgan Newton should start this season is crazy! The SEC has the biggest, fastest, strongest defenses in the country, and to have a true freshman starting would be near suicide. Can you imagine having a 19 year old kid taking the hit that Tim Tebow took? Even Tim Tebow wasn't the #! QB for Florida his freshman year. Matt Barkley has had a great year, but what defenses has he faced? Ohio State? They lost nearly their whole defense, plus we've seen what the SEC offenses can do against them. Hartline is the starter this season. Next season may be different. Give Newton and Mossakowski time to get stronger, smarter, and develop into the quarterbacks we all know they will become. But not this season. This year it's Hartline and Fidler.

If hartline starts next year i may shoot myself
theVILLE Wrote:Ok I think Newton should be....for one hartline is the sorriest execuse for QB...and secondly if he has more expierence why is he no better, and start over and let newton get the start and some expierece instead of lettine hartline destroy them

Suggestion: Justin Burke is your starting QB,I wish he were a Wildcat. We beat the Cards, now crawl back into your hole until the Cats and Cards face off in round ball and we have more to rub in your face.

As for Hartline, rather than dog him please tell me what he did to lose the starting QB job. I'm not the biggest Hartline fan. He's led us to a 2-1 start. Blew a Miami (OH) team out of Cincy, and took the reigns leading us in a nailbitting victory over our interstate rivals. Yeah we got thrashed, by the #1 team in the nation. I don't know too many QB's that aren't up for the Heisman and have one of the nation's top O-Line's who wouldn't look bad against Florida. Florida's d-line average weight is 275 lbs. and average 40 time is 4.5. That's ridiculous you do know, right? Let's face it, we get mediocre players. A victory for us is a 4* recruit, Florida settles for 4* recruits. Florida gets the best of the best at every spot. They have the biggest, strongest, and fastest at every position. Hartline has little protection, few targets and even fewer stars to take the pressure off of him. Hartline has done nothing himself to lose the starting job. I agree, I would like to see Cobb in the Wildcat more. I would've also like to have seen Newton get some snaps against Florida in the second quarter just to see what he had. IMHO, Hartline should be under center come October 3rd vs. Alabama.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Suggestion: Justin Burke is your starting QB,I wish he were a Wildcat. We beat the Cards, now crawl back into your hole until the Cats and Cards face off in round ball and we have more to rub in your face.

As for Hartline, rather than dog him please tell me what he did to lose the starting QB job. I'm not the biggest Hartline fan. He's led us to a 2-1 start. Blew a Miami (OH) team out of Cincy, and took the reigns leading us in a nailbitting victory over our interstate rivals. Yeah we got thrashed, by the #1 team in the nation. I don't know too many QB's that aren't up for the Heisman and have one of the nation's top O-Line's who wouldn't look bad against Florida. Florida's d-line average weight is 275 lbs. and average 40 time is 4.5. That's ridiculous you do know, right? Let's face it, we get mediocre players. A victory for us is a 4* recruit, Florida settles for 4* recruits. Florida gets the best of the best at every spot. They have the biggest, strongest, and fastest at every position. Hartline has little protection, few targets and even fewer stars to take the pressure off of him. Hartline has done nothing himself to lose the starting job. I agree, I would like to see Cobb in the Wildcat more. I would've also like to have seen Newton get some snaps against Florida in the second quarter just to see what he had. IMHO, Hartline should be under center come October 3rd vs. Alabama.
It's obvious few people on this board share our opinion. :notworthy haha
My problem with Hartline is NO ACCURACY WHAT SO EVER, no long ball what so ever, had Matthews open 3 or 4 times against the UF D in the first half over threw him by 10+ yards out of bound everytime, the only pass honestly the kid can make is a 5 or 10 yard slant, a bubble screen, and a quick curl route which he often has short arms...I really just do not understand the kid has had over 2 years and is still making freshman mistakes and THAT is INEXCUSABLE...No its not after one game he has done this in every games except for the Miami OH game and he actually missed a couple deep balls in that one that he overthrew pretty bad...Yes I do see alot of potential and many try to make the argument he looks alot like Woodson...Yep he sure did in one game...Im losing patience with him and I am giving him untill week 7 which will be mid season if he does what he done this past weekend and in the 3rd against Louisville...Sorry but if I am a coach I bench him depending on the record at that time...No shot at a bowl you go with one of the freshman to look towards the future...
The Blue Blur Wrote:Suggestion: Justin Burke is your starting QB,I wish he were a Wildcat. We beat the Cards, now crawl back into your hole until the Cats and Cards face off in round ball and we have more to rub in your face.

Well how long do we giver hartline to come around the corner? hes had enough time, everyone says hes got experience, so what i could play 500 games and still never get no better than what i already am, im not judging my statement on the florida game where we was clearly outmatched, no weapons? are u serious, we have one of the most dynamic players in the league and dont use him (Cobb), we have a sensational running game with locke, smith, but cant clear it up because we cant throw a 20 yard pass, this mathews guy was wide open like 5 times and hartline threw the ball out of bounds or completely over his head. its time we quit making excuses for him. hes had his chance not just this season but last, so what we blew out a awful miami ohio team who held us to 0 points int he first quarter. and squezed by just as bad UL team, its only going to get worse. and ill be watching every minute of every game yelling at the screen, blaming everything on the refs, until after the game i realize, we need a new QB
I think Hartline should start, without question or controversy. However, in blowout games, I dont see a problem giving the younger guys reps..that was my gripe in the Florida game..but yeah Hartline should be the QB of this team..He's earned it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My assessment of who should start:

1) Mike Hartline: He hasn't exactly been dazzling so far, but he hasn't been bad enough to get benched. Few QB's in the country would look good against Florida's defense. Give him at least few more games.

2) Will Fidler: He hasn't shown anything special in his limited time so far, but he does more experience working with UK's receivers than the freshmen.

3) Morgan Newton: He would be my choice to start if the season spirals out of control. If a chance at a bowl game falls by the wayside, it's time to get next year's starting QB (hopefully) ready.

Finally...

Randall Cobb: No no no no no! He is currently our best receiver, and it's not even close. If we let him stay there, I believe he will eventually be one of the best receivers in the SEC. Let him stay where he will best help the team.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:My assessment of who should start:

1) Mike Hartline: He hasn't exactly been dazzling so far, but he hasn't been bad enough to get benched. Few QB's in the country would look good against Florida's defense. Give him at least few more games.

2) Will Fidler: He hasn't shown anything special in his limited time so far, but he does more experience working with UK's receivers than the freshmen.

3) Morgan Newton: He would be my choice to start if the season spirals out of control. If a chance at a bowl game falls by the wayside, it's time to get next year's starting QB (hopefully) ready.

Finally...

Randall Cobb: No no no no no! He is currently our best receiver, and it's not even close. If we let him stay there, I believe he will eventually be one of the best receivers in the SEC. Let him stay where he will best help the team.

If he is our best receiver, then why aren't we given him the ball like we should? If the run was doing any good then we need to give him the ball.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I want to see what Morgan Newton's got. He was an excellent high school athlete and I think he would be the best fit for the CATS. I would have him out there in a matter of weeks if it was me, just to see how he handles the college level.
If we are down big, what will it hurt?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Hartline should be the starter hands down right now.
Cobb possibly is the better of the two, but it eliminates one of the best receivers in the SEC if Cobb is at QB.
The freshman are that, freshman. In time they will be special but putting them in right now against Alabama would only demoralize their confidence.
I would stick with hartline for the alabama game cause he seems to know the offense but for louisiana monroe i would let morgan newton get his feet wet and who knows
Morgan Newton...Hartline is decent but I dont think he should be starting..Yeah we beat an okay Miami and Louisville team. But to go 3 and out like everytime in the Florida game you need to change something. Come on.
An this weekend playing against Bama wont be good either.