Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the Top 5 girls teams
I looking to find out who are the Top 5 girls teams this year in middle school basketball in the surrounding counties. Any thoughts from the coaches, etc..
Floyd

Allen Central, Stumbo, South Floyd, Adams, Betsy Layne, and Allen (there's only 6 teams, so I put all six.

Pike

Dorton, Pikeville, Virgie is about all I know that's good.
Its still early in Pike Co play to determine who is your top 5. From the teams i have saw play i would have to say Dorton, Pikeville, Virgie, Elkhorn City and Belfry are your top 5.

There is a lot of talk saying Dorton is the FAVORITE but when you're talking girls basketball anything can happen.

Dorton has more talent than any other school in the county and that should make them the early favorite.

Pikeville has two excellent players in Smith and Potter. Pikeville should be set to go far in the county tournament.

Virgie has a solid team as well. The Coleman girl can score against any team. This whole team plays hard. The HUSTLE and from what i have read on here they are taking care of their business.

Elkhorn City they all play hard and aggressive. They will beat and bang on you the whole game.

Looks like the tournament could get real exciting with the right match ups.
In the 15th region I would say:

1. Dorton
2. Pikeville
3. Herald Whitaker
4. Johnson County

I do think all four of these teams can beat each other.
So far, we(Dorton) have beat Pikeville, and Johnson County. Pikeville has beat Herald Whitaker, and Herald Whitaker has beaten us. Have Johnson County and Herald Whitaker played yet? Don't Pikeville and JC play this Thursday? I think any of these 4 teams can beat the others on a given night. We played really well the night we played Pikeville and they didn't. Simple as that! On any given night, the result could be the opposite. There isn't 5 points difference between these 4 teams.
Very true coach! When you played Pikeville you were playing some of the best ball you have played all year.

I still think your team is the favorite! Too much talent not to be!
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:So far, we(Dorton) have beat Pikeville, and Johnson County. Pikeville has beat Herald Whitaker, and Herald Whitaker has beaten us. Have Johnson County and Herald Whitaker played yet? Don't Pikeville and JC play this Thursday? I think any of these 4 teams can beat the others on a given night. We played really well the night we played Pikeville and they didn't. Simple as that! On any given night, the result could be the opposite. There isn't 5 points difference between these 4 teams.

I agree that eitheir of these teams could beat each other on any given night, JC has the size if they had a litter better ball handling they would be hard to stop. HW has size and one of the quickest PG that I've seen and put a lot of pressure on the ball. Pikeville has two very good players in Smith and Potter that can do it all, they just need to develop another scoreer and ball handler for them to really improve and for Dorton they seem to be the most balanced of the 4 they have both a solid inside and some very good guard play which makes it hard for a team to key on just one or two players. I may be wrong but as for me I see Dorton as the top team in the CO or region if all teams are playing at their potential, I think it will take a solid team effort by another team to beat Dorton if they are on their game and play entie game the way they are capable of.:Thumbs:
i've seen most of the teams in the county play
1.dorton
2.pikeville
3.virgie
4.belfry
5.mullins
dorton has the most talent by far. but virgie plays harder than any team in the county.
they also have a great coach.
16th Region Verity, Boyd, Rowan, Russell, East.
Phelps has defeated Belfry and Millard by 20+ points. They are playing Adams Middle tonight. They have won 3 out of the last 3 games, can't remember who the 3rd team was. Only lost to Dorton, Pikeville and Feds Creek by 3, I think. Looks like they are having a great season with the new coach.
With their all around team balance I could see Dorton going all the way if everyone is playing at their best, am looking forward to them playing at Pikeville. I know Pikeville didn't have their best game but I think D had alot to do with it and I think D will have alot to do with it the next time they play Pikeville . The game at Dorton I also think Dorton didn't come close to playing their best and left a bunch of oppurtunities on the court that would have made this game more lopsided than it was. I just hope both teams play at their best so there won't be any excuses I just think Dorton is to balanced and they are a bad matchup for Pikeville but we will see. I know Dorton won'ts this one in a bad way and Pikeville better be able to match their intensity.:popcorn:
Verity, Boyd, East, Russell, West
Allen central is :1:
Intensity? Pikeville does play with any, they play scared. D is the reason they were rattled. Dorton cut off the passing lanes and Potter couldn't get Smith the ball. The coaches knew Smith was the scorer, Potter can and does do a lot but she is not Pikevilles scoring threat. They play hard and are two good players but the team as a whole does not have the experience in the gym, depth, or desire Dorton has. Dorton should, could, and will win this Co. tourney easily. I see the biggest threat for Dorton at tourney time being Virgie- they are growing as a team, play aggressive, and mentally it will be tough with family and friends on both teams. It will be interesting, good luck girls. I am still a wildcat fan and think their want for the co. far exceeds anyone elses ability.
coachatwesley Wrote:I looking to find out who are the Top 5 girls teams this year in middle school basketball in the surrounding counties. Any thoughts from the coaches, etc..

Sorry to double posts, but I forgot to give my top 5 in Co. & surrounding!
1. DORTON
2. Johnson Co.
3. Herald Whitaker
4. Pikeville
5. Belfry
verity 7th beat johnson central this past weekend by about 20 points and that was without one of their top 3 players. they have only lost one game and that was in the same tournament east carter beat them without the fouche girl and in their 3rd game that day. the game they lost was a back to back game when east had only played 1 with a game rest in between.
Sorry, do not know much about that area. They are not in our region. How much do they score a game? How many upper teammates? Height? SCHOOL SIZE? All teams up this way (-Johnson) are really small. They sound really tough though, and could probably kill everyone up here but DORTON!!!! Yes, I am bias, team and area spirit. However, I am a realists! I wish they could play Dorton just so we could judge our ability.
I know that Mullins has lost to Pikeville and will lose to Dorton( best in Pike co. by far). Have beaten Virgie by 20, Feds Creek by 18, Belfry by 18, and play Phelps and EC soon. Should be your # 3 when is all said and done. Still early though.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:So far, we(Dorton) have beat Pikeville, and Johnson County. Pikeville has beat Herald Whitaker, and Herald Whitaker has beaten us. Have Johnson County and Herald Whitaker played yet? Don't Pikeville and JC play this Thursday? I think any of these 4 teams can beat the others on a given night. We played really well the night we played Pikeville and they didn't. Simple as that! On any given night, the result could be the opposite. There isn't 5 points difference between these 4 teams.

JC does play Pikeville Thursday 9/24 at JC. JC plays Herald Whitaker Wednesday 9/30.
Johnson County's other 8th grade games: beat Allen Central 29-10, lost to Verity by 6 and lost to East Carter by 8 after being tied at half-time. We have beaten Morgan Co., Louisa twice, Martin Co. and Adams. Dorton vs Verity or East Carter would be very interesting games.
Virige has a great coach this year that is very good with the girls. Virgie is headed in the right direction.
Hootie got them going in the right direction at Virgie. I am just trying to build on that. With the young girls at Virgie and Dorton the future looks very bright for Shelby Valley.
1.dorton
2.johnson county
3.pikeville
4. virige
5.herald

johnson county beat pikeville today 48-36 great game though. we play allen central monday.
My top five would be
Dorton
Johnson C
Pikeville
Herald W
Whitesburg if you want to put them in this area if not Mullins or Belfry.
I've watched about everyone play and this would be my list.
Pikeville In their loses they've had some bad calls go against them.
Johnson CO In the loss to Dorton don't think they showed up ready to play.
Herald W. Plays up and down.
Dorton Has won the games they've won with alot of lucky breaks.
Stumbo Miss alot of easy shots or could be closer to the top of this list.
Virgie and EC could also be sleepers in their CO tourney.
I'll stick with the 15th only:

1. Dorton
2. Herald-Whitaker
3. Johnson Co.
4. Pikeville

I really believe that Dorton saw the real Herald-Whitaker team. They would have been my pre-season pick. It looks like I will have to change my picks weekly or daily. About as even as four teams can get.
Ashland area...Verity, Rowan, Boyd and Russell
Thanks for recoginizing Stumbo, we had very bad games in the Dorton Tournament and had just the day before the tournament gotten one of our better players back from injury(she had been out for 3 weeks). Our run outs are usually not as bad as we were in this tournament, just could not get any thing going, thought we held around pretty good considering missing so many easy shots and being such a much smaller team than Hearld Whitaker or Dorton.
I think its this order :
1.) Stumbo.
2.)Allen Central.
3.)Dortan.
4.)Johnson County.
5.)pikeville.
Dorton and Pikeville for sure