Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conner 30 - Holy Cross 14
Conner 30, Holy Cross 14
By Mark Hardin • Enquirer contributor • September 18, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

Earlier in the week, Conner football coach David Trosper asked each of his seniors to compose a message and read it to the team’s underclassmen.

"Coach wanted us to explain why tonight’s game against Holy Cross was so important to the younger guys," Conner senior Austin Pugh said. "I wrote a little note and read it after the team dinner."

Friday night, all the Cougars made a statement.

"We’re ready for district," Conner senior quarterback Nick West said. "We’re ready for Simon Kenton next Friday."

Conner tuned up for a brutal Class 6A district schedule by defeating Holy Cross 30-14 at Holmes. West and Pugh were catalysts as the Cougars finished the non-district schedule unbeaten at 5-0.

Holy Cross dropped to 2-2.

West totaled 330 all-purpose yards. He finished 13-for-28 passing for 211 yards, including a 7-yard third-quarter touchdown pass to tight end Anthony Boden. West’s primary target was receiver Ryan Delph, who finished with six catches for 77 yards. West rushed for 119 yards on 13 carries and scored on a 1-yard second-quarter keeper to help give the Cougars the lead for good, 14-7.

And what was West’s pre-game message to the underclassmen?

"I told them to we still have to play a good Holy Cross team before we play Simon Kenton," West said. "I said a loss would be a blemish."

Pugh rushed for 109 yards on 16 carries Friday night and scored a second-quarter touchdown from four yards out as Conner took a 21-7 lead. Pugh (10 tackles) and fellow linebacker Huston Dockery (a sack and a forced fumble) keyed the defense.

Pugh’s message to Conner’s underclassmen underscored the importance of momentum heading into district play.

"I told them, if we win, then we have momentum heading into next week," said Pugh.

The Cougars have their momentum. They have outscored the opposition 193-55 this season.

"Their offense is very hard to defend because they have so many weapons," Holy Cross coach Bruce Kozerski said. "I don’t know if 30-14 is a butt-whipping for our guys because of their talent."

Coach Trosper said his Cougars needed to take the Class 2A Indians seriously and not look ahead to Simon Kenton, which edged Conner 20-19 last season on the way to the Class 6A state championship game.

"I told the guys the size of the program doesn’t matter," Trosper said. "I also wanted them to focus on this game."

Holy Cross quarterback Markel Walker totaled nearly 200 yards of total offense and scored on a 12-yard opening-quarter rushing touchdown before leaving the game early in the third quarter with an injury. Walker, who was 8-for-15 passing for 128 yards, banged his left throwing hand on the helmet of Conner defender during his follow-through on a pass.

Jerry Arlinghaus relieved Walker and threw a 24-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.
Holy Cross 7 0 0 7--14
Conner 7 17 6 0--30

C-Champ 11 run (Stephens kick)

H-M. Walker 12 run (Norris kick)

C-West 1 run (Stephens kick)

C-Pugh 4 run (Stephens kick)

C-Stephens 18 FG

C-Boden 7 pass from West (pass failed)

H-E.Walker 24 pass from Arlinghaus (Norris kick)

Records: Conner 5-0, Holy Cross 2-2.
NKY.com
I was at this game and West is a beast at QB.