Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 24 Letcher Central 20
For the person who said they'd like to hear the last quarter over, they announced tonight that the game would be on intermountain cable tomorrow but I forgot what time they said.
I hate to admit it, but the Pirates look to be on their way to the carpet again.......I am confident they'll represent the mountains well however!!!
The only thing is, I didn't really see the point in the Cougar boys laying on the turf, beating their helmets into their head on the field, throwing helmets on sidelines and hitting them against the bench. Boys, take the loss. Go nuts in the locker room, break stuff. But in front of people, keep your cool.
This has to shut up all the Shelby Valley fans saying there the best team in Pike County! way to Belfry, nice win
Unbelievable facilities at LCC. Great fans. Helluva game. Wow, just wow!

Shelby Valley the best team in Pike County? Do they know Belfry is in Pike County? :dontthink TongueirateSho
CatFan55 Wrote:For the person who said they'd like to hear the last quarter over, they announced tonight that the game would be on intermountain cable tomorrow but I forgot what time they said.

Thanks for the info, but I live in Lexington :-) Thanks anyway
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
purpletiger78 Wrote:I hate to admit it, but the Pirates look to be on their way to the carpet again.......I am confident they'll represent the mountains well however!!!

Well, It's still really early yet, there's alot of parity this year in 3A, Imo, the mountains strongest 3A team at this point is Sheldon Clark, but Belfry is right on their heels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IBleedRed Wrote:Thomas Varney is Belfry sounds to me like. The kid is something very special and sounds like he won this game by hisself. Congrats Belfry

Knowing Thomas as I do, I think he would tend to disagree with this one. He would tell you he couldn't and wouldn't get the runs if he didn't have the blocks. Yes, he is an outstanding athlete who does stand out from others but it takes 11 young boys/men on the field at a time and all eleven played a part of this victory.

Belfry was actually up at one time 17-7 and let the cougars come back on them. These young men never cease to amaze me and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. These kids have improved and grown tremendously in the last 3 weeks! I pray they continue and stay healthy as stated in another post as their future is looking very bright!!!

Congrats Pirates on your win!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
thanks to phs 1986 and buclovers for keeping me informed on the game,you guys are great.......
Does anyone on here think thomas varney is a D-1 type player. cause I think so
cuppett777 Wrote:thanks to phs 1986 and buclovers for keeping me informed on the game,you guys are great.......

Anytime!! Smile

For the record, it was Varney who intercepted the ball with 7 seconds left to go!! :Thumbs:

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
good job pirates, keep working hard
Congrats Belfry
Way to go Belfry Pirates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two things I need to comment on from last night:

1) To the Belfry fans who left early when it looked like we were going to lose-I bet now you wish you'd stayed!! lol!
The boys played their hearts out last night and needed our support...we call ourselves the Belfry "Faithful", but now I am not so sure...Seems like beating the traffic out took the place of supporting our team...I saw this happen last week at the Ashland game too...
And to the fans who stayed and cheered the boys on...we were rewarded greatly, and nothing more needs to be said!

2) LCC played a heck of a game! Absolutely nothing to hang their heads about! I hated seeing their players falling down on the field at the end of the game and I hated even more watching one player in particular hit his head several times with his helmet and then fall down...At that point I didn't know if he had knocked himself out or what...He could have hurt himself badly doing something like that...I know it was a very emotional game for everyone, but there is no need to put yourself at risk for injury like that!

Congrats to Belfry even though you were giving the fans fits till the end of the game!
Being an LCC faithful, it was ridiculous and embarassing to see the players act the way they did, and coming off the field after mistakes and just blurting profanity so that everyone in the stands could hear it. A great game and always fun to watch Belfry play. Such a class act as always and really want to thank the fans/players for showing there usual class act. Now to the game, really feel like we gave this one away about 2-3 times even though we had 4 turnovers. We fumble with a minute left after we got the first down during the play. First play on defense after the fumble, Varney (Who is LEGIT) takes off like a rocket for a HUGE GAIN, and then the 3rd down and 15 yard coverage breakdown to a WIDE OPEN Pirate in the endzone..Just amazing. Both teams played a VERY HARD GAME and can't wait to see next years game. We (LCC) are a VERY YOUNG team, and it showed on some plays throughout. All I wanted was a picture with Haywood, lol..Maybe one daySmile Again, Congrats Pirates and Cougars, we have 2 weeks to get refocused and get this season back on track. And one last note, Brian Milam, EXCELLENT footage on the highlights as always!
Pirates win. I admitt, I didn't see it happening. Does anybody have any idea of the Haywood vs. Howard record over the years?
Congrats Pirates-sounds like this was one heckuva game. Looks like Thomas Varney, again, took control of this game and does what he does best--play football. Thomas Varney is such a versatile player both offensively and defensively.
Nice win Pirates
Seriously, this is why Belfry is where they are. Tremendous heart, class, and attention to all of the little details -- that goes a long way in having an elite program. As for LCC, these are the ones you have to finish to get to that level. They had it and literally gave it away. Also, I'm glad I didn't see the helmet banging going on as I was leaving -- that's ridiculous no matter how frustrated and heartbroken you are.

Is it just me or did the kid materialize out of nowhere to make that tackle when it appeared Rose was going to take the kickoff to the house????
RonBurgundy Wrote:Seriously, this is why Belfry is where they are. Tremendous heart, class, and attention to all of the little details -- that goes a long way in having an elite program. As for LCC, these are the ones you have to finish to get to that level. They had it and literally gave it away. Also, I'm glad I didn't see the helmet banging going on as I was leaving -- that's ridiculous no matter how frustrated and heartbroken you are.

Is it just me or did the kid materialize out of nowhere to make that tackle when it appeared Rose was going to take the kickoff to the house????

You are right. If it was any player other than Varney, LCC would be celebrating a great victory today.
Great win for the Pirates! LCC should learn from this one. Ball control is a premium in a close game. First half was Belfry, second half LCC. Good luck Pirates for the rest of the season.

Raw emotion by LCC players is unexcusable and should be taken care of by the coaching staff.

Our fans at LCC always give the opposing teams their due.
This was seriously one of the greatest games I've ever been to. The only thing I'd have to complain about it how hard it is to get parked/out of that place.

Great job Pirates!
BelfryPirates Wrote:This was seriously one of the greatest games I've ever been to. The only thing I'd have to complain about it how hard it is to get parked/out of that place.

Great job Pirates!
100% agree..Need to get a new system with the parking..
RonBurgundy Wrote:Seriously, this is why Belfry is where they are. Tremendous heart, class, and attention to all of the little details -- that goes a long way in having an elite program. As for LCC, these are the ones you have to finish to get to that level. They had it and literally gave it away. Also, I'm glad I didn't see the helmet banging going on as I was leaving -- that's ridiculous no matter how frustrated and heartbroken you are.

Is it just me or did the kid materialize out of nowhere to make that tackle when it appeared Rose was going to take the kickoff to the house
????

Thomas is probably a legitimate 4.6 40 guy... but he has that rare quality in football players that when he has to make a big play, save a touchdown by catching someone, or needs to hit a hole before it closes, it seems Varney has an extra gear.Noone will ever call varney one of the fastest players in the state in terms of pure speed, but in terms of accelleration and quickness there are few better.
Pond creek nation Wrote:Does anyone on here think thomas varney is a D-1 type player. cause I think so

Sadly he doesn't really have the measurables (40 time, height, weight) that D-1 schools look for. With that said, he would make a phenominal slot receiver or Free Safety for a FCS school like Morehead, EKU, Murray State, or a D-2 school.

I know Thomas has family who reads this board and I implore you to get together a couple highlight tapes professionally done, submit a profile to Rivals or Scout, and get the word out.
Oh, and when is the last time Belfry had a player have a rushing, receiving, passing, and a special teams touchdown in the same season (let alone in 4 games...)?

If anyone could get me Thomas' stats from last night, along with everyone else possible, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I think this will end up being a great rivalry. Both schools have great Coaches, facilities and fan bases. On the way out most of the Lcc fans that I talked to said they could'nt wait for the game next year... This was probably the most exciting high school game I've been to. I'm sure that all the fans from both sides that left early to beat the traffic were shocked to hear the final score of this one!
UKisN1 Wrote:Great win for the Pirates! LCC should learn from this one. Ball control is a premium in a close game. First half was Belfry, second half LCC. Good luck Pirates for the rest of the season.

Raw emotion by LCC players is unexcusable and should be taken care of by the coaching staff.

Our fans at LCC always give the opposing teams their due.
I would love to see lcc make a serious run for the state year in and year out,i didnot see the game last night but i did see the 8th grade game between belfry and lcc, when lcc seen they were going lose they started taking cheap shots on the belfry boys, one could have been a very serious injury, then i hear how the older boys acted last night, that is something that willl have to be overcome before you are the program you want to be
Called this score in the Pick'em. :biggrin:

Big win for the Pirates to get back on track, congrats!