Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Five Football Programs in East Kentucky
lwc Wrote:I would be interested to see how many of Bell County's losses from 2000-2008 are from Rockcastle and vice-versa. The District and Regional Championship's would come much easier if these two never had to face each other.

Not that I am saying that Knox, McCreary, M.S. and others in the past have been pushovers, but these two teams have beaten each other up over the years.

Do you have those stats handy?

2000 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 26-0

2001 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 34-2
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 28-14

2002 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 14-7
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 31-14

2003 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 28-12

2004 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 56-7

2005 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 33-29
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 21-0

2006 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 18-14
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 13-0

2007 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 24-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 35-0

2008 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 38-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 49-7

Rock won 8 times
Bell won 7 times
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:you forgot the tomcats @ no 12 in the state with 609 wins

I was just doing the Mountain teams in the East, but yes Ashland is #12.
1- Bell Co
1A- Belfry
1B- Breathitt Co
( These 3 are interchangable )

4- Ashland
5- Russell
OrangenowBlue Wrote:In the nineties: State titles.

Breathitt County - 2
Lawrence County -0

Didnt Breathitt's 47 game win streak end at the dawgpound? oh yea believe so!Confusedhh:
My opinion on the top 10 football programs in EKY!
1 Bell County
2 Belfry
3 Breathitt
4Ashland
5Russell
6 Prestonburg
7 Corbin
8 Rockcastle
9 Pikeville
10 Lawrence County
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:2000 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 26-0

2001 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 34-2
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 28-14

2002 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 14-7
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 31-14

2003 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 28-12

2004 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 56-7

2005 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 33-29
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 21-0

2006 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 18-14
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 13-0

2007 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 24-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 35-0

2008 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 38-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 49-7

Rock won 8 times
Bell won 7 times

That my friends and fellow viewers is the definition of a rivalry, lol.

Good work on the research!
RedSeal Wrote:Didnt Breathitt's 47 game win streak end at the dawgpound? oh yea believe so!Confusedhh:

I would take three rings on the fingers as one loss in the dawgpound as Breathitt went on to win a third state championship.
RedSeal Wrote:My opinion on the top 10 football programs in EKY!
1 Bell County
2 Belfry
3 Breathitt
4Ashland
5Russell
6 Prestonburg
7 Corbin
8 Rockcastle
9 Pikeville
10 Lawrence County

Corbin deserves to be ranked with Russell and above Prestonsburg. They consistently have had more success then the Blackcats. They have two or three state titles and are still winning games every year. Sheldon Clark could be in the top ten also as they have been good year in and year out.
RedSeal Wrote:Didnt Breathitt's 47 game win streak end at the dawgpound? oh yea believe so!Confusedhh:

I thought it ended in 1998 when Middlesboro came to Breathitt Co's new field and beat them?
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Corbin deserves to be ranked with Russell and above Prestonsburg. They consistently have had more success then the Blackcats. They have two or three state titles and are still winning games every year. Sheldon Clark could be in the top ten also as they have been good year in and year out.

I think that Prestonsburg and Corbin are even. Prestonsburg had played in a district/region with Belfry, Breathitt, Sheldon Clark, and Middlesboro up until the last 3 years or so and I think had that not been the case, Prestonsburg could have had atleast one state title. I think that you could say that these two progams are a tie. They both are extremely competitive and relavent on the state level.
Alphabetical Order

Ashland
Bell County
Belfry
Pikeville
Russell
FBALL Wrote:Alphabetical Order

Ashland
Bell County
Belfry
Pikeville
Russell
Nice FBALL, I always look forward to your posts. They have a lot more sense than some of the ones that get put on here.
1.Bell
2.Belfry
3.Breathitt
4.Corbin
5.Rockcastle
king360 Wrote:1.Bell
2.Belfry
3.Breathitt
4.Corbin
5.Rockcastle

Good post.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:1. Ashland Blazer
2. Bell County
3. Belfry
4. Corbin
5. Breathitt County
6. Russell
7. Pikeville
8. Middlesboro
9. Prestonsburg
10. Lawrence County
Switch Bell County with Breathitt County. Besides that I agree:Thumbs:. When I think of Mtn. Football Breathitt is the 1st team that comes to mind.
I'll puyt the red glasses aside and give credit where it is due:

1. Bell County- The Biobcats IMO have never had a "down period" they have always been the cream of the crop on a year in year out basis.

2. Ashland- The only EKY to claim a "National Title" they edge Belfry based on the all-time series record.

3. Belfry- Pirates have had the best run over the past decade, but the Mid to late 90's and their all-time record against Bell and ashland knock them to #3.

4. Breathitt- Breathitt has been a roller coaster of a program. When they are good, they are REALLY good, but they also have more patches of "Down seasons" then the other top contenders.

5a. Pikeville- The 80's was a Panther dominated era in EKY, they may be higher if not for the past 15 years and the fact Belfry has overtaken them in the county.

5b. Corbin- The eternal brides maid. The Hounds are always good but their history of coming just short knock them down to the 5 spot.
FWIW,
The following teams certainly are very close to making the list:
Russell
Rockcastle County
Prestonsburg

A 2nd tier would include:
Middlesboro
Hazard
Somerset
Lawrence County
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'll puyt the red glasses aside and give credit where it is due:

1. Bell County- The Biobcats IMO have never had a "down period" they have always been the cream of the crop on a year in year out basis.

2. Ashland- The only EKY to claim a "National Title" they edge Belfry based on the all-time series record.

3. Belfry- Pirates have had the best run over the past decade, but the Mid to late 90's and their all-time record against Bell and ashland knock them to #3.

4. Breathitt- Breathitt has been a roller coaster of a program. When they are good, they are REALLY good, but they also have more patches of "Down seasons" then the other top contenders.

5a. Pikeville- The 80's was a Panther dominated era in EKY, they may be higher if not for the past 15 years and the fact Belfry has overtaken them in the county.

5b. Corbin- The eternal brides maid. The Hounds are always good but their history of coming just short knock them down to the 5 spot.

Good post. I don't really think of Ashland as EKY but they are. Ashland has a long and storied past.
William Muney Wrote:Good post. I don't really think of Ashland as EKY but they are. Ashland has a long and storied past.

Off Topic, I know, but I gotta say your username is one of my favorite screen characters of all time in my favorite movie of all time.

"Well...he shudda armed hisself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend..."
William Muney Wrote:Good post. I don't really think of Ashland as EKY but they are. Ashland has a long and storied past.

Corbin has won three state titles also. Sounds like they have been the bride theirselves a few times
bucslover68 Wrote:I will give you the super seven:
1) Belfry-multiple state titles and a fan base second to none in the mountains. 6 state championship appearances.
2) Breathitt County. 3 titles makes a statement in itself.
3) Bell County. Multiple state titles and one of the greatest coaches.
4) Ashland-If you go back to the no face mask days, they are number 1. The 1990 team has to rank as one of the most potent ground attacks in state history
5) Russell. Basically a mirror image of Belfry's history with one of the greatest coaches ever.
6)Pikeville. 3 championships says a lot. Recent history keeps the Panthers down the list a little bit.
7) Corbin and Presonsburg. Great traditions and fantastic followings.

Though I do have these in a list and ranked, they are very interchangeable. For my money when you look at a program it is not just championships or wins and losses. It includes the fans, the passion and support for the program, the respect that other schools view that program with, and an overall aura that the program radiates. Belfry tops my list, but out of the teams I named, I could make a similar case for Pikeville, Ashland, Russell, Bell County and Breathitt County.

True
bucslover68 Wrote:I will give you the super seven:
1) Belfry-multiple state titles and a fan base second to none in the mountains. 6 state championship appearances.
2) Breathitt County. 3 titles makes a statement in itself.
3) Bell County. Multiple state titles and one of the greatest coaches.
4) Ashland-If you go back to the no face mask days, they are number 1. The 1990 team has to rank as one of the most potent ground attacks in state history
5) Russell. Basically a mirror image of Belfry's history with one of the greatest coaches ever.
6)Pikeville. 3 championships says a lot. Recent history keeps the Panthers down the list a little bit.
7) Corbin and Presonsburg. Great traditions and fantastic followings.

Though I do have these in a list and ranked, they are very interchangeable. For my money when you look at a program it is not just championships or wins and losses. It includes the fans, the passion and support for the program, the respect that other schools view that program with, and an overall aura that the program radiates. Belfry tops my list, but out of the teams I named, I could make a similar case for Pikeville, Ashland, Russell, Bell County and Breathitt County.
If were going all time Pikeville has to be higher. Yes weve had a few down years but so has every team above us on this list at one time or another. Like when Belfry went an entire DECADE without a region title in the '90s. Pikeville has more state titles with 4 (Folks forget about the 1955 title team) than any program in the mountains still in existence (I think Lynch won more but Im not sure). They also have as many State title appearances as Belfry with 6. Also they have a better State title game record than Belfry (3-3 vs 2-4). But the one factor that should put them higher above all these other reasons Ive given is the exposure that Pikeville give mountain football not just on a state level but on a national level as well.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Switch Bell County with Breathitt County. Besides that I agree:Thumbs:. When I think of Mtn. Football Breathitt is the 1st team that comes to mind.

Idk about that, I wouldnt switch them at all! I mean come one its Bell County I dont think they have ever had a down period, and i think Breathitt is down after watching them play Sheldon Clark
1. Bell County
2.Belfry
3. Breathitt
4.Corbin
5.Prestonburg
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:If were going all time Pikeville has to be higher. Yes weve had a few down years but so has every team above us on this list at one time or another. Like when Belfry went an entire DECADE without a region title in the '90s. Pikeville has more state titles with 4 (Folks forget about the 1955 title team) than any program in the mountains still in existence (I think Lynch won more but Im not sure). They also have as many State title appearances as Belfry with 6. Also they have a better State title game record than Belfry (3-3 vs 2-4). But the one factor that should put them higher above all these other reasons Ive given is the exposure that Pikeville give mountain football not just on a state level but on a national level as well.

I agree
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:If were going all time Pikeville has to be higher. Yes weve had a few down years but so has every team above us on this list at one time or another. Like when Belfry went an entire DECADE without a region title in the '90s. Pikeville has more state titles with 4 (Folks forget about the 1955 title team) than any program in the mountains still in existence (I think Lynch won more but Im not sure). They also have as many State title appearances as Belfry with 6. Also they have a better State title game record than Belfry (3-3 vs 2-4). But the one factor that should put them higher above all these other reasons Ive given is the exposure that Pikeville give mountain football not just on a state level but on a national level as well.

You make a good arguement for putting Pikeville ahead of Belfry, but leave off one very important detail and that is what the head to head comparison between the two schools is in wins and losses.Do you have that information to share? :biggrin:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You make a good arguement for putting Pikeville ahead of Belfry, but leave off one very important detail and that is what the head to head comparison between the two schools is in wins and losses.Do you have that information to share? :biggrin:

They keep putting every team above them has had a down period. It depends on what you call a down period. This is not for dead sure but since Bell Co. consolidated they have never had a losing season. But, that's on memory and not fact. And, if I remember correctly our worst record in a season was the same year we won the state championship. That's when the KHSAA stripped us our first four or five games.
Bell consolidated during the 84-85 school year. So, we're talking 25 yrs.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You make a good arguement for putting Pikeville ahead of Belfry, but leave off one very important detail and that is what the head to head comparison between the two schools is in wins and losses.Do you have that information to share? :biggrin:
Go back and read my post again. I never said put them ahead of Belfry. I just said they needed to be higher on the list than what Bucslover68 ranked them.
easyM Wrote:They keep putting every team above them has had a down period. It depends on what you call a down period. This is not for dead sure but since Bell Co. consolidated they have never had a losing season. But, that's on memory and not fact. And, if I remember correctly our worst record in a season was the same year we won the state championship. That's when the KHSAA stripped us our first four or five games.
Thats great. I have all the respect in the world for you guys over on Log Mountain. But Pikeville has had only 1 losing season since 1972. With all the programs mentioned on this list you can have a "Down year" and not have a losing record.