Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ironton (OH) 45 Russell 0
final
Boy did I call this one wrong. Put this one behind you Red Devils and get ready for Ashland.
Even if Russell were to make it to Bowling Green they wouldn't face a better team than the Ironton team that they played tonight.

Russell's defense really wasn't that bad. Unfortunately the offense and special teams were no match. Russell could not move the ball at all on the much bigger and stronger Ironton defense. Throw in two punt returns for TDs, (Ironton sets up a wall better than anyone I have seen in a while), and a punt snap over the head of the punter to set the Tigers up with first and goal inside the five and the game was out of hand.

Unfortunately for Russell they injured Taylor early on and back up Tres Wilks came in to put over 300 all purpose yards on the Devils. He put on a show. He and Monning #88 for Ironton are special football players. Monning plays nasty and does everything well.

This was a learning experience and Russell was taken to school.

Anyone who has to play Ironton look out. They are big up front and very deep at the skill positions. Nonone in this area will come close. Wheelersburg was probably as close as it gets and that wasn't very close either. The Tigers are scary good.
FBALL Wrote:Even if Russell were to make it to Bowling Green they wouldn't face a better team than the Ironton team that they played tonight.

Russell's defense really wasn't that bad. Unfortunately the offense and special teams were no match. Russell could not move the ball at all on the much bigger and stronger Ironton defense. Throw in two punt returns for TDs, (Ironton sets up a wall better than anyone I have seen in a while), and a punt snap over the head of the punter to set the Tigers up with first and goal inside the five and the game was out of hand.

Unfortunately for Russell they injured Taylor early on and back up Tres Wilks came in to put over 300 all purpose yards on the Devils. He put on a show. He and Monning #88 for Ironton are special football players. Monning plays nasty and does everything well.

This was a learning experience and Russell was taken to school.

Anyone who has to play Ironton look out. They are big up front and very deep at the skill positions. Nonone in this area will come close. Wheelersburg was probably as close as it gets and that wasn't very close either. The Tigers are scary good.
I agree with this and I actually think that Russell has a chance to beat Ashland at home next week.
Wayyyy to much tiggers not any evils! Total domination, welcome back Russell... Love Bob Lutz, oh did you say you wanted a 2 yr contract? :igiveup::flush:
I thought this was the best football team I've seen a Russell team play in a long time. Like you said, FBall, Russell hung in there the best they could. They were simply outmanned across the board.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Wayyyy to much tiggers not any evils! Total domination, welcome back Russell... Love Bob Lutz, oh did you say you wanted a 2 yr contract? :igiveup::flush:
I hope they play them every year. Believe it or not that game will help Russell in the long run.

Dude, Ironton is a different league this year.

The Kitty Cats better get ready because I to think Russell has a chance to beat Ashland. But then Ashland gets the Tiggers and it will be smoked ***** cat on the menu.

Ironton is just that good.:worthy:
ryanparker Wrote:I thought this was the best football team I've seen a Russell team play in a long time. Like you said, FBall, Russell hung in there the best they could. They were simply outmanned across the board.

That team is better than anyone Russell has played in the last few years at least. I would compare them to the 2004 Belfry team only better.

That offensive and defensive line is just dominating. Russell hung in for a while but the defense could not stay on the field all night and keep hitting like that. Eventually something had to give.

Will Rice was injured and sat out most of the second half. I hope he is all right. Travis Jones and quite a few of the starters were pulled as well after the bad snap and short TD drive made it 31-0.

The second half resembled a scrimmage with alot of different people getting looks. Practice monday should be interesting.
This was the first time I've had a chance to watch a game at Ironton in a long time. I'd forgotten what a nice place it is for high school football. From the unique home side stands to the "million dollar" marching band to the unbelievable football team they field, that kind of environment is really what high school football is all about.

Like Jeepman said, Russell just needs to put this one behind them. There was nothing they could have done. Ironton would beat them 100 times out of 100.
FBALL Wrote:That team is better than anyone Russell has played in the last few years at least. I would compare them to the 2004 Belfry team only better.

That offensive and defensive line is just dominating. Russell hung in for a while but the defense could not stay on the field all night and keep hitting like that. Eventually something had to give.

Will Rice was injured and sat out most of the second half. I hope he is all right. Travis Jones and quite a few of the starters were pulled as well after the bad snap and short TD drive made it 31-0.

The second half resembled a scrimmage with alot of different people getting looks. Practice monday should be interesting.

I felt bad for them after a while. It couldn't have been fun going up against those guys from Ironton all night long. Ironton had numerous tacklers in on every single Russell running play. It took numerous tacklers to bring down Ironton's backs on every single Ironton running play. What a good team.
ryanparker Wrote:I felt bad for them after a while. It couldn't have been fun going up against those guys from Ironton all night long. Ironton had numerous tacklers in on every single Russell running play. It took numerous tacklers to bring down Ironton's backs on every single Ironton running play. What a good team.
It was a very hard hitting game. Believe it or not by both teams. There are going to be some sore Devils and Tigers in the morning.

Russell's biggest mistake was that they injured Taylor on a brutal hit and #28 Wilks came into the game. That kid is fast and tough. If I were Lutz I think I found my number 1 opition. And for God sakes don't punt the ball to him! What a tough little player.
FBALL Wrote:It was a very hard hitting game. Believe it or not by both teams. There are going to be some sore Devils and Tigers in the morning.

Russell's biggest mistake was that they injured Taylor on a brutal hit and #28 Wilks came into the game. That kid is fast and tough. If I were Lutz I think I found my number 1 opition. And for God sakes don't punt the ball to him! What a tough little player.

When he went out on their first drive and then when they dropped the wide open TD pass, I was thinking luck was going to be on Russell's side tonight, but I was wrong!

We probably would have hate to have seen what the 1st string guy Taylor would have done judging by what the backup did.
ryanparker Wrote:When he went out on their first drive and then when they dropped the wide open TD pass, I was thinking luck was going to be on Russell's side tonight, but I was wrong!

We probably would have hate to have seen what the 1st string guy Taylor would have done judging by what the backup did.

Nah. Lutz has said that he has six or seven backs that he didn't care to put in the game. Wilks is the fastest of the bunch. Taylor has been kind of tentative going through the hole. I think Wilks just became the first team guy.
Hey Ryan.

Even though Russell was outmatched I never saw any of the nonsens and quit that I saw in last years team. Everyone kept playing and trying to do there job. Hopefully they learn from this and get better.

What do you think and what did you see as far as attitude from the team?
FBALL Wrote:Hey Ryan.

Even though Russell was outmatched I never saw any of the nonsens and quit that I saw in last years team. Everyone kept playing and trying to do there job. Hopefully they learn from this and get better.

What do you think and what did you see as far as attitude from the team?

I agree 100%. I still love this year's team. They have a lot of good football players with great attitudes. Just watching how the QB's rotate in and out of the game and how they pull for each other is an example of some of the stuff that seemed to be missing last year. I think they will come out against Ashland full force and give them a great game. There's a long way to go in the season, and just because they ran into the Cleveland Browns tonight doesn't mean they aren't still going to have a great season.
I know Ironton will make any team look bad but Russell needs to find some offense really bad i think. So far to me it looks like maybe only a 4 win season if they don't find a way to improve and i'm not just going by tonights game, their offense hasn't looked good to me yet.
ryanparker Wrote:I agree 100%. I still love this year's team. They have a lot of good football players with great attitudes. Just watching how the QB's rotate in and out of the game and how they pull for each other is an example of some of the stuff that seemed to be missing last year. I think they will come out against Ashland full force and give them a great game. There's a long way to go in the season, and just because they ran into the Cleveland Browns tonight doesn't mean they aren't still going to have a great season.
I agree with you. I do think they will have a good season and have really played two of the strongest teams they will see in Ironton and Spring Valley who they scrimmaged. Spring Valley dismantled Huntington High tonight. I think it was 49-7 or something like that. They will not face two stronger teams the rest of the year.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I agree with this and I actually think that Russell has a chance to beat Ashland at home next week.

FBALL Wrote:I hope they play them every year. Believe it or not that game will help Russell in the long run.

Dude, Ironton is a different league this year.

The Kitty Cats better get ready because I to think Russell has a chance to beat Ashland. But then Ashland gets the Tiggers and it will be smoked ***** cat on the menu.

Ironton is just that good.:worthy:

Dude how long has it been since you've seen an ironton team? You russell guys don't no anything about them because you haven't played them. They had one bad year when lutz left an they are right back where they left off.always big always strong, like a machine year in year out nothing new to Ashlandthey will prepare like they always do same team beat us 18-6 last year with a late score. I think this Belfry game tonight was a gut check and will do great things for the Tomcats. You can bet they will be ready for the "lil devils" You guys have just been reintroduced, look on the bright side it's only a 2 year contract:biggrin: Ashland plays them every year. I look for a repeat of
last year everybody back hopefully Ussell will play full 4 quarters of football
with out quiting? :eyeroll: :popcorn:
R Pitchfork Wrote:I know Ironton will make any team look bad but Russell needs to find some offense really bad i think. So far to me it looks like maybe only a 4 win season if they don't find a way to improve and i'm not just going by tonights game, their offense hasn't looked good to me yet.
They are not a good offensive team right now. Still very good on defense. Ironton will make alot of teams look bad. I think they need to settle in on one QB and probably will have to open up the offense more than they did tonight. The offensive line is not that strong and Russell will not be able to just run it down the throat of some of the stronger teams remaining on the schedule. Mainly Ashland and Mason County. But I think they still win seven or eight games and have a decent chance of making some noise in the playoffs.
Ironton's line was just too much. I look for a great season for the Tigers.

Ironton beat Belfry 31-10 in 2004 btw.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Dude how long has it been since you've seen an ironton team? You russell guys don't no anything about them because you haven't played them. They had one bad year when lutz left an they are right back where they left off.always big always strong, like a machine year in year out nothing new to Ashlandthey will prepare like they always do same team beat us 18-6 last year with a late score. I think this Belfry game tonight was a gut check and will do great things for the Tomcats. You can bet they will be ready for the "lil devils" You guys have just been reintroduced, look on the bright side it's only a 2 year contract:biggrin: Ashland plays them every year. I look for a repeat of

Ironton is much better than they were a year ago. I promise you. You will see.Confusedhh:

I also think you will see the Ironton/Russell series continue for years to come.

Finally this isn't the same Russell team as the carwreck from a year ago. The bad attitudes are gone and this team will play hard for 4 quarters win or lose. They did tonight against a team that is much better than anyone else they will face the rest of the season. If they play hard there is no shame no matter what the outcome.
Rusell really gave a good effort . Good luck Devils.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Dude how long has it been since you've seen an ironton team? You russell guys don't no anything about them because you haven't played them. They had one bad year when lutz left an they are right back where they left off.always big always strong, like a machine year in year out nothing new to Ashlandthey will prepare like they always do same team beat us 18-6 last year with a late score. I think this Belfry game tonight was a gut check and will do great things for the Tomcats. You can bet they will be ready for the "lil devils" You guys have just been reintroduced, look on the bright side it's only a 2 year contract:biggrin: Ashland plays them every year. I look for a repeat of

We know how to spell know.:biggrin:
FBALL Wrote:Ironton is much better than they were a year ago. I promise you. You will see.Confusedhh:

I also think you will see the Ironton/Russell series continue for years to come.

I was there they are good !

Did you see them last year? I did They looked just as good to me!
BADCAT74 Wrote:I was there they are good !

You were there and you didn't come find me and RAM-A-DEVIL. Now I am mad.:ChairHit:
I'm not counting the mighty Devils out by any means, but they need a lot of work. I like the fact they didn't give up which shows me they want to get better and i know they will. On the bright side they looked almost as bad against Boyd Co. in 2005.
FBALL Wrote:We know how to spell know.:biggrin:

Aha struck a nerve on the Fball, are resorting to the like of the" Guru" cause that's what they do on that other site an you just did it to me! It's ok fball I forgive you, your just furstrated.:HitWall::Clap:
BADCAT74 Wrote:I was there they are good !

I didn't see them last year, so I don't know if they were just as good then, but I do know that if Ashland beats this year's Ironton team, then Ashland just might run the table until they get to Highlands.

On the SE Ohio message board, the Ironton fans seem to like their team this year a lot. They think this is the strongest line they've had in years and they admit that this team is loaded.
FBALL Wrote:You were there and you didn't come find me and RAM-A-DEVIL. Now I am mad.:ChairHit:

I walked up an down the visitors side both endzones? I just figured you bought an orange shirt an went to set under the awning!:popcorn:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Aha struck a nerve on the Fball, are resorting to the like of the" Guru" cause that's what they do on that other site an you just did it to me! It's ok fball I forgive you, your just furstrated.:HitWall::Clap:

Sorry I couldn't pass it up. There is only so much you can trash talk after a beating like that. That "guru" comment is way below the belt. You "no" I'm just rattleing your cage.

But I'm telling you. Watch out Kitty Cats.:devilflam