Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Game You've Ever Seen?
Mine would definatley be 1997 when Brethitt's streak ended at Lawrence County.
OfficialFan22 Wrote:True statements: "without that one the other two wouldn't have happened", and "the other two were blatant, and were the right calls".
By saying that you would not have called the first one, can I assume that you are one who feels that the officials should 'swallow their whistles' in the closing few seconds of a game?
Not so true statement, from Post #54: "the KHSAA uses film of that game to this day during Referee clinics to teach Refs what NOT to do."
I have been to many 'Referee clinics' since that game and I have not seen these plays shown to officials. Not to say that the 15th Region didn't show this to some of their Referees, but it was NOT 'on display' to all.
I remember these plays well. I got to see the plays over and over. I agree, anyone would have thrown the flag on the last two. But, the call in question, which most people on here call a 'jump ball', is really more like a play in the post, where the offensive player has position with the defensive player directly behind him, a pass is thrown in to him, and the defensive player comes 'thru' the shoulders of the offensive player and knocks the ball away. FOUL!! Right?? If you really look with non-biased eyes, you will see the Pikeville player, which is behind the Belfry player, make contact shortly before the ball arrives, thus pushing the Belfry player forward, which possibly caused him to miss the ball. Principle of verticality, the Belfry player had position, and he was 'displaced' by the Pikeville player.

To be honest, I didn't want to sound like a homer but I kind of looked at the first one with that perspective, too. In short, if Pikeville was in that situation they would have been screaming for a pass interference on that one, too.

And not a lot of people remember this, but the News Express had a picture of the play before the "jump ball" in the paper of a Pikeville defender tackling a Belfry receiver before the ball got there that was a no call and should have been pass interference. It would have put Belfry inside the Pikeville 20, too.
I would have to go with ashland and woodford 08