Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. East Ridge 9-1-09
Predictions?
Belfry
I think east ridge can win this one. But only if they play like they played against Johnson central tonight. They have to keep it together and not dig a hole.
JCHS lost to East Ridge due to coaching error. East Ridge coach has obviously taken advantage of JCHS offense. Go warriors!
BelfryTongueirateSho
ER in 3
You got to be kidding
no joke, watch and see
How did JC lose to ER come from a coaching error?!? East Ridge flat out outplayed them. It was like 7-0 at the beginning of the Varsity game. East Ridge definitely made some bumbles too but I completely do not understand how their win was the result of a Johnson Central coaching error.

On topic, I don't know if East Ridge will take the Pirates in this one but it could very well happen. They are a talented group of girls so I can't count them out in any game.
thetribe Wrote:How did JC lose to ER come from a coaching error?!? East Ridge flat out outplayed them. It was like 7-0 at the beginning of the Varsity game. East Ridge definitely made some bumbles too but I completely do not understand how their win was the result of a Johnson Central coaching error.

On topic, I don't know if East Ridge will take the Pirates in this one but it could very well happen. They are a talnted group of girls so I can't count them out in any game.

TheTribe, I agree, too often in any sport people feel they must blame someone (childish) rather than just granting credit where it is due. Volleyball is one sport that takes TOTAL effort to win. JC has all the key requirements to win and although they are young if they pull it together things could get interesting.

Continue on topic, this year several teams are soooooo closely matched, it can and will be anyone game, pending on confidence, practice and team support and yes I still believe ER in 3. Should be a very good game to watch.
ER coach saw the weakness of the JC team and played to it. When the blockers were in, he played over them. When they were out, he pounded them. JC coach couldnt see this,otherwise why the rotation? ER coach plays a 5/1 offense and his team pounded JC with their 6/2. Check out the cons of a 6/2 offense. However, 6/2 does allow more players to "participate" and that is more important than winning, right?
Belfry vs. East Ridge results.
Belfy in 3
BumpSetSpike Wrote:ER coach saw the weakness of the JC team and played to it. When the blockers were in, he played over them. When they were out, he pounded them. JC coach couldnt see this,otherwise why the rotation? ER coach plays a 5/1 offense and his team pounded JC with their 6/2. Check out the cons of a 6/2 offense. However, 6/2 does allow more players to "participate" and that is more important than winning, right?

The first number is the how many hitters you have...second is setters. 6/2 doesn't necessarily mean more players since you could have two players that hit and set. It does mean that you would always be setting off the backrow. High School (15th) level is extremely rare to see a team with 6 hitters who can actually play that position. Louisville and Northern KY teams it's the norm. However, most your better teams will always run 3 hitters that carry out their fakes on the front row. This will prevent the other teams from double blocking. This depends on your setters ability to backset and your ROH/#2 slot to hit or for hitters to stack and run a "step out" hit which I haven't seen very few doing in EKY. Hope this helps...some offensive numbers can be misleading.
Couldnt the setter/hitter position cause confusion on floor when the switch is made to hitter. Who then becomes setter? Can a high school setter play hitter effectively? They may be able to hit, but can they block as well. I can see this done effectively at college level as a lot of setter/OHs are around 6 ft tall.
Personally i dont have a problem with JC's offense. Life is a lot easier on the other side of the net when her 2 starting hitters/blockers are the bench, if you know what I mean.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Couldnt the setter/hitter position cause confusion on floor when the switch is made to hitter. Who then becomes setter? Can a high school setter play hitter effectively? They may be able to hit, but can they block as well. I can see this done effectively at college level as a lot of setter/OHs are around 6 ft tall.

Yes and no...if a player is good enough to do both--hit and sit--they wouldn't be confused--IMO. They would look forward to each challenge especially when they get to set off the back row with more touches. If your in a 6-2 all you have to do is play your setters opposite. 5-1 you would just have two hitters when setter is on front row--three rotations then the setter is coming off the backrow. This is what Belfry ran last year. Confusion sometimes happens when sliding your setter to home base and back to the 1 position to protect her. This goes back to practice and team movement. Good teams flow in and out of this very easy. You make an excellent point on the college level, however 6ft setters are hard to find many times they are moved to setters once there. High school everyone takes a tall player and tries to develop them into hitters with the smaller girls being left to set. Your blocking q...anyone who can get up over the net needs to learn the art of blocking either soft, swing or extention blocking before hitting. This is where young tall players can make the biggest team contribution early in their careers. Much like Conley--Thacker did as 8th & 9th graders and now Hamilton, McCoy, Little, Ray and Hamilton.

Smaller players the ones who can pass the ball have a tremendous opportunity now on the NAIA level--Unlimited subs.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:ER coach saw the weakness of the JC team and played to it. When the blockers were in, he played over them. When they were out, he pounded them. JC coach couldnt see this,otherwise why the rotation? ER coach plays a 5/1 offense and his team pounded JC with their 6/2. Check out the cons of a 6/2 offense. However, 6/2 does allow more players to "participate" and that is more important than winning, right?

Isn't that part of that game as well? Coaches adjusting their team's style of play to play to the other team's weakness and avoiding their strengths? It was up to Johnson Central's coach to see this and figure something out. However, that was just another aspect of the game. The coach was not out there on the court doing anything so the team lost that game, not the coach.
You are absolutely right about ERs coach's evaluation of the strengths of weaknesses of the opposing team and playing his team accordingly. He did an excellent job of that against JC and Belfry and that is what every coach hopes to do for his team.

You can bet today, with his knowledge of the game, he is the one who feels he could have done something differently to win the last game against Belfry. It was a very close 3rd game and the win could have been theirs. So is he going to pass the buck to the players on the floor, no, I think not. But hey, it was Belfry. They played a great game. In high school if a team wins, it's the players who win, if they lose, it's the coaches who lose because they have failed to teach them what is necessary to win, considering an equal playing field of course. If a player's skills needs improvement, it is up to the coach to recognize this and for the betterment of the team give that player direction on how to improve his/her performance.

Anyone care to share stories about how their coach has helped them? Perhaps it could be started on a different thread.
Well "BumpSetSpike" I think I have finally figured you out; you have praise almost every coach with the exception of JC. While I too agree that the coaching and playing of volleyball in the region has improved over the years with skills and competition it has happen at all the schools. In my opinion this is not your motive but perhaps you are rather a disgruntled parent of JC (one of the two who rotate out) and will do anything to disrupt the girls team atmosphere, so sad. The two girls that rotate out are very good, but sometimes when using a libero (JC does) this is your best defensive player that also has good passing abilities and JC libero does have this ability (at least the times I watched). If you are a dissatisfied with your current status perhaps you can transfer, I believe any coach in the region would welcome a talented player but I bet they don't want a parent trying to tell them how to play when you don't know the basic difference between a 5-1 and 6-2. Oh by the way several coaches in the area still use the very basic office of 4-2. If you are a parent and trying to disrupt the atmosphere shame on you and no matter how far or when JC ends up this year you will be most satisfied if JC falls short in district and/or regional playoffs. So Sad when someone takes on a personal agenda over team.
Personally, I like your rotation and I hope you keep it. Do you do it in every game or does your offense change depending on the opponent your facing? If you care to comment on it, please place it in the thread related to it.
Well you should probably stick with coaching as you fail in making assumptions. I don't even know the "2 girls" you mentioned. I have; however, noticed your rotation. My questions relating to the difference in the 5-1 and 6-2 concerns when they should or should not be used? (The new thread I posted would be a better place for your response as I would love to know more.) The comment was related to how ER used your offense to their advantage. Don't be upset, it happens. ER has greatly improved. Player Beth Anders has just been chosen AVCA/Max Preps Player of the Week. Congratulations on a job well done Beth.

I would love to be able to praise your team, give me the opportunity to do so when facing tougher competition outside your district and I dont mean to offend anyone within your district. Although, I am quite concerned why you would want players to "transfer". Coaches deal with disgruntled parents all the time, but wanting players to transfer is not an acceptable solution.
Well BumpSetSpike, that is good to know, it just appeared every opportunity you had a poor comment was made about JC plays and/or their coach. :flame:
I really think you shouldn't talk in this topic about how other coaches are doing. For respect of Lady_Warriors_Softball (the person who made this thread), everyone should return talking about Belfry vs. East Ridge.

I was about to post my opinion on who would win, but I just realized the game is over. :biggrin:
The Lady Warriors lost by 2 points in the 3rd set so it was a much closer game than most expected.
thetribe Wrote:The Lady Warriors lost by 2 points in the 3rd set so it was a much closer game than most expected.

Both teams played hard and that is all anyone can ask for, keep your heads held high ER, your day will come. Congrats to Belfry
Tin Cup Wrote:Yes and no...if a player is good enough to do both--hit and sit--they wouldn't be confused--IMO. They would look forward to each challenge especially when they get to set off the back row with more touches. If your in a 6-2 all you have to do is play your setters opposite. 5-1 you would just have two hitters when setter is on front row--three rotations then the setter is coming off the backrow. This is what Belfry ran last year. Confusion sometimes happens when sliding your setter to home base and back to the 1 position to protect her. This goes back to practice and team movement. Good teams flow in and out of this very easy. You make an excellent point on the college level, however 6ft setters are hard to find many times they are moved to setters once there. High school everyone takes a tall player and tries to develop them into hitters with the smaller girls being left to set. Your blocking q...anyone who can get up over the net needs to learn the art of blocking either soft, swing or extention blocking before hitting. This is where young tall players can make the biggest team contribution early in their careers. Much like Conley--Thacker did as 8th & 9th graders and now Hamilton, McCoy, Little, Ray and Hamilton.

Smaller players the ones who can pass the ball have a tremendous opportunity now on the NAIA level--Unlimited subs.

Wrong name for Betsy Layne...should have said Ray and Watkins