Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why our American Court System makes me SICK!
In the last year, we have seen a lot of our beloved NFL players get in trouble with the law, which has led to there suspension of the NFL. Three specific cases stick out on my mind. The cases of : Mike Vick, Plaxico Burress, and Dante Stallworth.

Vick was sentenced to 23 months for the organization of a dog fighting ring. Burress was just recently sentenced to 20 months minimum for illegal weapons charge , and the only reason he was arrested was because he shot himself. Stallworth drives drunk, kills a HUMAN BEING , and is sentenced to a lousy 30 days of prison.

I am so sick and tired of hearing how bad Vick and Burress are, and how Vick needs to show more remorse blah blah blah. What Vick did was horrible, despicable, but he has served his time. Move on lets get on with our lives. And while Burress should have shown better judgement, in fact it was incredibly stupid what he did, he didn't hurt anyone but himself. BUT HOW CAN ANYONE JUSTIFY THE 30 DAY SENTENCE HANDED OUT TO STALLWORTH. This just blows my mind that you can be drunk and high and kill a man and only get one month, but Burress shoots himself and Vick kills dogs and gets more time????? Please tell me I am not the only one who is aggravated by this?:please::please:
OldTymer Wrote:In the last year, we have seen a lot of our beloved NFL players get in trouble with the law, which has led to there suspension of the NFL. Three specific cases stick out on my mind. The cases of : Mike Vick, Plaxico Burress, and Dante Stallworth.

Vick was sentenced to 23 months for the organization of a dog fighting ring. Burress was just recently sentenced to 20 months minimum for illegal weapons charge , and the only reason he was arrested was because he shot himself. Stallworth drives drunk, kills a HUMAN BEING , and is sentenced to a lousy 30 days of prison.

I am so sick and tired of hearing how bad Vick and Burress are, and how Vick needs to show more remorse blah blah blah. What Vick did was horrible, despicable, but he has served his time. Move on lets get on with our lives. And while Burress should have shown better judgement, in fact it was incredibly stupid what he did, he didn't hurt anyone but himself. BUT HOW CAN ANYONE JUSTIFY THE 30 DAY SENTENCE HANDED OUT TO STALLWORTH. This just blows my mind that you can be drunk and high and kill a man and only get one month, but Burress shoots himself and Vick kills dogs and gets more time????? Please tell me I am not the only one who is aggravated by this?:please::please:

I agree 120%
TOTALLY AGREE!!! All 3 are pieces of sh*t IMO!
Three idiots who didn't and/or don't realize how blessed they were. What a tough life they lead; athletically gifted and making millions of dollars and too stupid to call a cab, don't leave the house with a gun or not be cruel to animals. Good thing there is not a minimum common sense score to play in the NFL, or half the players would probably be unqualified.
i agree 150 %. the court system is B.S
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:TOTALLY AGREE!!! All 3 are pieces of sh*t IMO!

all 3? whats so wrong about what burress did? had a gun, for whatever reason he had it, he still didnt hurt anyone or anything
Wildcatk23 Wrote:all 3? whats so wrong about what burress did? had a gun, for whatever reason he had it, he still didnt hurt anyone or anything

I agree. He may be stupid, and made had poor judgement , but I wouldn't put him in the same category as the other two.
He broke the law. No matter if he just hurt himself, the potential was there for someone else to get hurt or killed. He lost control of a handgun and luckily only shot himself, easily could have been somebody else. He is just as stupid as Vick and Stallworth.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:He broke the law. No matter if he just hurt himself, the potential was there for someone else to get hurt or killed. He lost control of a handgun and luckily only shot himself, easily could have been somebody else. He is just as stupid as Vick and Stallworth.

So by your theory , someone who gets ticketed for speeding or someone who jay walks , or carries an ice cream cone in their back pocket is in the same class as Vick and Stallworth? The fact is he didn't shoot anyone else. He wasn't sentenced on what he could have potentially done.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:He broke the law. No matter if he just hurt himself, the potential was there for someone else to get hurt or killed. He lost control of a handgun and luckily only shot himself, easily could have been somebody else. He is just as stupid as Vick and Stallworth.

Every situation is different and should be handled differently. The Stallworth penalty is rediculous, but I have perfectly happy that Vick and Plax were sentenced to jail. I agree with you completely. Plaxico flat out broke the law. He could have seriously injured someone else, and for that, he should have been sentenced. As for the decision for Stallworth, we all have a right to write our Senators to have the laws changed for our state to ensure such travesty's don't happen in Kentucky.
Couldnt agree more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
OldTymer Wrote:So by your theory , someone who gets ticketed for speeding or someone who jay walks , or carries an ice cream cone in their back pocket is in the same class as Vick and Stallworth? The fact is he didn't shoot anyone else. He wasn't sentenced on what he could have potentially done.

You are way off. No, someone who jaywalks or gets a speeding ticket is not in the same class as Vick or Stallworth, those violations are not felonies. Carrying a handgun in the situation that he did in NY is a felony and while he did not shoot anyone else he very easily could have. He LOST CONTROL of the gun, by the grace of God he only shot himself. And the law is in effect in NY to punish people that are stupid enough to do these things. While his crime did not dirctly injure or kill anyone else he is just as stupid and igorant as Vick or Stallworth.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:You are way off. No, someone who jaywalks or gets a speeding ticket is not in the same class as Vick or Stallworth, those violations are not felonies. Carrying a handgun in the situation that he did in NY is a felony and while he did not shoot anyone else he very easily could have. He LOST CONTROL of the gun, by the grace of God he only shot himself. And the law is in effect in NY to punish people that are stupid enough to do these things. While his crime did not dirctly injure or kill anyone else he is just as stupid and igorant as Vick or Stallworth.

He could have very easily hurt someone yes, but he didnt, how many times have u looked down at ur speedometer and been speeding? i do it alot, and very easily i could lose control of my car and change my life and some others, but im not getting 2 years for speeding, but if i lose control kill someone im getting some time for manslaughter, what he did do and what he could have done is 2 different things, you dont punish someone for something they could have done, you punish them for what they do, he shot himself, nothing more, comparing vicks, stallworths and buresses crimes is crazy, Stallworth killed someone, Vick killed helpless animals, Burress shot himeslf!
Ok, so if someone is drinking and driving it is ok as long as they don't hurt anybody, right?
It is just like when someone has a gun on them when they are involved in a drug deal. There is more penalty involved in that whether or not anyone is hurt. Having a gun involved in anything is more serious because of the potential to harm others is involved. Once again, what Plaxico did is a FELONY, very serious, and he got what he deserved under what the law called for.
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Ok, so if someone is drinking and driving it is ok as long as they don't hurt anybody, right?
It is just like when someone has a gun on them when they are involved in a drug deal. There is more penalty involved in that whether or not anyone is hurt. Having a gun involved in anything is more serious because of the potential to harm others is involved. Once again, what Plaxico did is a FELONY, very serious, and he got what he deserved under what the law called for.

Thats not the same thing. It is against the law to have a BA level over what
.08? That is a fact , that is the law. That would be like saying we are going to outlaw alcoholic sales because someone could POTENTIALLY get drunk and drive and kill someone. You can't say that having the gun involved is more serious because of the potential to harm someone. If that were the case then people wouldn't be allowed to have guns period. In Vermont any legal gun owner in the state of Vermont may carry concealed weapons with no permitting required. It really all came down to the state he was in and his celebrity that did him in. Anyone that wants to compare his crimes to the others is being ridiculous.
I don't think Vick should have got as much time as he did
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Ok, so if someone is drinking and driving it is ok as long as they don't hurt anybody, right?

did u even read the posts before this, we wasnt saying it wasnt a felony, we said it dosent compare with the other crimes commited by vick and stallworth
I give up trying to get you and the others to understand that Plaxico was just as wrong as Vick and Stallworth. The gun being involved was the key to his incident being so serious. Say what you want, this is my last comment in this thread, I am sure that makes you very happy.

:fedup:
OldTymer Wrote:In the last year, we have seen a lot of our beloved NFL players get in trouble with the law, which has led to there suspension of the NFL. Three specific cases stick out on my mind. The cases of : Mike Vick, Plaxico Burress, and Dante Stallworth.

Ya know I have been thinking the same thing. I even thought about writing a letter to Sports Illustrated to express my thoughts. I mean it's ridiculous what our government does sometimes. i guess as long as I don't kill a dog or shoot myself I'll be alright. ONLY IN AMERICA!