Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nky football, Week 1 thoughts ...
Nky football, Week 1 thoughts ...
Posted by RyanErnst at 8/24/2009 11:30 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I guess, officially, according to the KHSAA scheduling grid, if you want to be technical about it, it was really Week 0 in Kentucky high school football. Only a handful of local teams played. Here's what I learned:

-- Ryle running back Travis Elliott is very good ... for a sophomore. Is he one of the best running backs in Northern Kentucky? Yes. Is he among the best three? Probably not. It's hard to forget that the kid is in the 10th grade. He doesn't look like it and he doesn't run like it. Let's just keep his age in mind and remember he has three seasons to turn into whatever it is he's going to be.

-- CovCath looked better than I anticipated, particularly Brayden Erpenbeck. If there was a standout signal-caller heading into the CovCath-Ryle game, it was Ryle junior Conner Hempel. But Erpenbeck kind of stole the quarterback show. He runs it well, throws it well enough and is a gutsy kid. CovCath coach Dave Wirthsaid Erpenbeck played most of the game with a separated shoulder. I'm not sure Wirth really meant "seperated" in the clinical sense, so I didn't put it in the story. But his shoulder definitely was hurt.

-- Nobody enjoyed opening night like Bishop Brossart's coaching staff. As I was writing my Ryle-CovCath story I got a call from Brossart coach Matt Reinhart, whose men had just won the first game in program history. "Ryan," he said. "It's Matt Reinhart. We won." I asked him if he had called the score into the Enquirer yet; he hadn't. I've talked to Reinhart quite a bit about the rigors of essentially starting a program from scratch. He's a pretty affable guy. I think he just wanted to share the moment with as many people as possible. Good for him.

-- If Dixie Heights can continue to play defense as well as it did in Friday's 19-7 victory over NewCath, look out. They'll move up considerably from their No. 8 ranking in the Enquirer preseason coaches' poll.

-- Good, solid road win for Conner over a very good Oldham County team.

-- Heading into the season I was thinking Conner and Simon Kenton were my two favorites. After seeing a little of Ryle and talking to other coaches about Boone County, I'm starting to lean more toward Boone County and Ryle a little bit.