Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4.39 speed
this is the speed thats in the MADISONVILLE MESSENGER HIGH SCHOOL PREVIEW,and this speed belongs to a kid named ANTHONY QUALLS from HOPKINS COUNTY CENTRAL,if this is true he can fly, just thought i would put this out there for some thoughts on it........
My car doesn't go that fast.
Size and Weight?
I would be very skeptical of that number. An awful lot of supposed "4.4" guys only seem to run that speed when timed by their own coaches. Most 4.4 guys are really 4.6 or 4.7, which doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is. TRUE sub 4.4 guys are extremely rare...
i dont believe it until i see it,thats just whats in the paper..
I'm with you. I would have to see it to believe it.
Like most, would have to see it myself.
If legit, that's D1 speed, and this kid is likely on his way to a nice education
Is that hand coach timed or electronic timed?
cat86 Wrote:I would be very skeptical of that number. An awful lot of supposed "4.4" guys only seem to run that speed when timed by their own coaches. Most 4.4 guys are really 4.6 or 4.7, which doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is. TRUE sub 4.4 guys are extremely rare...

Bingo. Only just a couple guys ran that well at the combine last year.
nky Wrote:Is that hand coach timed or electronic timed?

the paper dont say,just a quote from the coach..
Here is your 40 conversion chart.
If it is a laser timed 40 at the H.S. level, then add .05 seconds
If it is a stop watch time, then add .15 second.
If it is an "unofficial" time from the coach, then add .20 seconds.
If it is coming from a fellow student on a message board, add .25 seconds.

Big Grin
Stardust Wrote:If legit, that's D1 speed, and this kid is likely on his way to a nice education

4.3 speed does not guarantee a D1 football scholarship. I ran a 4.3 in high school , but had a long stride, not a running back stride. Look at a kid like Collingsworth for Highlands. He is not extremely fast (12.27 in the 100m and not able to get out of the region in track), but has great football instincts and field vision. I have seen him run down from behind many times. Great athlete though and would want him on my team anyday. As far as track goes, 4.3 is not considered that fast, I was able to compete on the state level in sprints, but moved up to middle distance where I was more successful and able to get a D1 scholarship.
cat86 Wrote:I would be very skeptical of that number. An awful lot of supposed "4.4" guys only seem to run that speed when timed by their own coaches. Most 4.4 guys are really 4.6 or 4.7, which doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is. TRUE sub 4.4 guys are extremely rare...

This is very true! i agree 100 percent
Like I stated in another thread. Sophmore RB Cory Davenport runs alegit 4.43 40 from a combine in Atlanta, GA this June. Alot got to see him first hand and was impressed with his speed. Alcoa's coach said in the Maryville Daily Times that Cory would be the fastest player he would face all year. Alcoa plays alot of good teams in Tennessee including Maryville. Alcoa has won 5 Straight State Titles in Tennessee so they know talent when they see it.
If this kid has that kinda of speed, he will be playing college sports of some kind I guarantee that. The last person i saw with that kind of speed was david jones. and we all know were he is.
sstack Wrote:4.3 speed does not guarantee a D1 football scholarship. I ran a 4.3 in high school , but had a long stride, not a running back stride. Look at a kid like Collingsworth for Highlands. He is not extremely fast (12.27 in the 100m and not able to get out of the region in track), but has great football instincts and field vision. I have seen him run down from behind many times. Great athlete though and would want him on my team anyday. As far as track goes, 4.3 is not considered that fast, I was able to compete on the state level in sprints, but moved up to middle distance where I was more successful and able to get a D1 scholarship.

I doubt it.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Here is your 40 conversion chart.
If it is a laser timed 40 at the H.S. level, then add .05 seconds
If it is a stop watch time, then add .15 second.
If it is an "unofficial" time from the coach, then add .20 seconds.
If it is coming from a fellow student on a message board, add .25 seconds.

Big Grin

I'm with you here. A lot of people don't seem to realize just how much cutting even .02 seconds off a time is when it really comes down to it. If this kid really runs a 4.39 then that is phenomenal, but in order to believe it then it would have to be timed with a legit means, not word of mouth or a stopwatch.
Gosh I love hearing these stories of all these 4.3-4.4 guys on here. One word-HOGWASH. I did witness a kid from Whitley County run a sub 4.4 time at UK one year. It was the year that coach Chapman coached Pikeville High. They were down at UK for a passing league camp in the Nutter Center and all the players were running 40s. Jonathan Chapman was quick and had a great stride, but he never could break 4.6 on the coaches watches. Mumme had some of his staff timing these guys with hanheld digital timers. This kid from Whitley goes and puts on a pair of track shoes and runs under 4.4. I believe he did it twice, though i am positive he did it once. The coaches kind of looked at each other like where did this kid come from. If anyone from Whitley County might remember this, it would be cool if you could post who it was and whatever happened to him. I remember him being about 6'1" to 6'2" and being lean and having a sprinter's type body.
Spartan4Life Wrote:I doubt it.

Shows you do not know much about track. Look at the times of the top 3 places in the 100m dashes. You are talking 11 flat or under. you can not run that kind of time if you are running a 4.5 or 4.6. Are there alot of kids out there running 4.3 or 4.4 in football?, not many. I had an excellent track coach in high school and he knew that even though I ran 4.3 40 and 11.0 to 11.1 100, that for success at the state meet I needed to move up to middle distance. In doing this, I was able to earn a D1 scholarship. Yes 4.3 to 4.6 is fast for footballl, but not track.
Do any of the top finishers in track play football?
Suter at Bryon Station, Johnson from owensboro, Kannamore from Ballard, or Lewis at JC?
I don't doubt your personal stats sstack, i just think some people get on here and don't have a true clue about speed. I sat for two days and watched the NFL combine and there were very few 4.4 guys. Interesting enough, the announcer on ESPN covering the World Track and Field Championships said that Bolt, with a full head of steam, covered the last 40 yards(converted distance) in under 3 seconds and if you timed him in the first 40 yards, using the combine rules of starting the clock with the first movement, he ran it in 3.89.
bucslover68 Wrote:I don't doubt your personal stats sstack, i just think some people get on here and don't have a true clue about speed. I sat for two days and watched the NFL combine and there were very few 4.4 guys. Interesting enough, the announcer on ESPN covering the World Track and Field Championships said that Bolt, with a full head of steam, covered the last 40 yards(converted distance) in under 3 seconds and if you timed him in the first 40 yards, using the combine rules of starting the clock with the first movement, he ran it in 3.89.

You are correct, and that is what I have been saying. Look at the style runner Bolt is; Very!!!! long legs with an exceptionally long stride. He would probably not make a good running back due to the type of runner he is. Football runners and track runners are usually not the same.
I think I have completely lost where this thread was going?

Anyhow, if this kid is truly sub 4.4, he's got a good future ahead of him in football.
cory davenport did run a 4.43 at the combine in atlanta...he also run a 4.41 at the bell countys phycical fitness test:worthy:
Like most, I would have to see this to believe it. Usually turns out to be a lot of hype for a kid that is pretty fast, but not Randy Moss fast.
i think u can look up the stats for the atlanta combine were he ran the 4.43
Here is a blurb from an article about Usain Bolt and his world record breaking time recently:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><style> </style> "Bolt's incredible 9.58 clocking in the 100 meters should have an affect on how recruitniks now look at 40 times.

A former colleague passed along a "biomechanical analysis" of Bolt's run, which included his times at 20-meter intervals. He ran the first 20 meters in 2.89 seconds, the first 40 in 4.64 seconds, the first 60 in 6.31 seconds and the first 80 in 7.92 seconds before finishing in 9.58.

Forty yards equates to 36.58 meters, which means Bolt's 40-yard dash time in a race in which he ran the fastest 100 meters ever was about 4.28.

Thoughts? Comments? Shed some new light on this discussion?
cuppett777 Wrote:i dont believe it until i see it,thats just whats in the paper..

That's beyond fast. It might be true though!
I said last week that Davenport from Bell ran a 4.43 and a lot of people said there was no way. It was legit. Just ask Alcoa.
So the kid you're talking about might be that fast.
Are you referring to Devin Davenport? If so you better check your time it was 4.52 in the 40. shuttle time 4.37
kp10 Wrote:Are you referring to Devin Davenport? If so you better check your time it was 4.52 in the 40. shuttle time 4.37

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like his shuttle time may have been posted by mistake as his 40. Where did you get the 4.52 time from?