Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne @ Johnson Central
Betsy Layne defeats Johnson central in 2 games
25-14
25-15

Betsy Layne also won the freshman & JV matches, but I'm not sure on the scores.
As I stated before about 15th region volleyball. Betsy Layne is underrated and Johnson Central is overrated.
Johnson Central's coach is overrated you mean.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Johnson Central's coach is overrated you mean.

Agreed. She has the talent but doesn't know what to do with it. Same o same o.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Johnson Central's coach is overrated you mean.

I thought I noticed you cheering for Johnson Central before. Are you going against your own coach? Don't criticize them, they faced the best team in the region!
Abdiel Wrote:I thought I noticed you cheering for Johnson Central before. Are you going against your own coach? Don't criticize them, they faced the best team in the region!
No I didnt cheer for JCHS. I have always said i think Betsy Layne will be the top team and will give Belfry a hard time keeping their title. I also stated JC had some good players returning to front and thought they would do well, but no, i never cheered for them. I wish all the teams the best. Just trying to determine which one will come out on top.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:No I didnt cheer for JCHS. I have always said i think Betsy Layne will be the top team and will give Belfry a hard time keeping their title. I also stated JC had some good players returning to front and thought they would do well, but no, i never cheered for them. I wish all the teams the best. Just trying to determine which one will come out on top.

Still, a game against Betsy Layne is going to be hard for every team. Loosing to a great Betsy Layne team doesn't prove that Johnson Central's team or coach is bad (or underrated). According to the scores on khsaa.org (25-14, 25-15), that's the scores I would expect from this game when you have (according to the "New 15th rankings" topic page) the #1 team facing the #6 team in the region.

(Thanks for correcting me earlier about you not actually being a fan. It was just a guess.)
Putting down the coaches or players is just stupid. Apparently ATV and BumpSetSpike doesn't know volleyball or the coach. JC will improve as the season goes on and the girls begin to work well together. ATV, what is your experience in coaching girls in volleyball?
I thought that Johnson Central played a good game to only have played two games this season. Betsy Layne had already played eleven games and are a good team.
To set the record straight - NO ONE PUT DOWN ANY PLAYERS!!!

The success of any team depends upon the individual methods used by the coach, which includes teaching the fundamentals, training, applying the methods learned to obtain cohesiveness as a team along with many other things. As in any sport, different offensive and defensive plays should be used selectively dependant upon the teams' strengths and with consideration of each opponent.

JCHS does not face the same level of competition as found in the other districts of the region. Therefore her level of success is overrated considering she has never been able to take them to the next level with ample time to do so.
Everything is going right for the Bobcats, veteran team and experienced coaches. This is the year someone wins other than belfry...
jackets Wrote:I thought that Johnson Central played a good game to only have played two games this season. Betsy Layne had already played eleven games and are a good team.

JCHS does not face the same level of competition as found in the other districts of the region. Therefore her level of success is overrated considering she has never been able to take them to the next level with ample time to do so.

Wow BumpSetSpike, if you are NOT a true JCHS fan why do you care? Perhaps you are just trying to cause disruptions within the JCHS volleyball team. Actually there has been only one team to win this region "Belfry" so, implying your thoughts about coaching all the others need to throw in the towel and go home. For the record I don't share the same thoughts, as I have great respect for all coaches regardless of the sport, it is a tough but wonderful job to teach youth much more than winning the district, region, or state. While this should certainly be a goal, providing an opportunity for youth to participate in team skills and life is much great in my opinion. When a team wins a game, district, region or state titles that is great but not the whole world.
You go Jackets!!!
I was simply defending the JCHS players aka children when OrangenowBlue said JCHS was overrated, when in fact at their young impressionable age it would have to be a coach's responisbility, not necessarily the JCHS coach, but you would have to agree you cannot place the blame on the children. Unless you are sick. Your implications have nothing to do with what i said.

If you will review my post, my remarks pertain to ALL COACHES. Unless you are the JCHS coach and i somehow touched a nerve, most good coaches would have to agree. Is there anything wrong with teaching the fundamentals, evaluating the oppenents and revising game plans ?

If you have a problem with that, I question what kind of coach you or want for our children.

Your implications that i said, (which I never) "throw in the towel" are way out of line and you should post an apology to this forum for it is you who is trying to cause disruptions.

Do the girls at Belfry have a special volleyball gene that the other girls in our region doesnt have? Was Rick Mounts born with a gift to coach Volleybal No. It was a talent he developed over years and the hard word and determination those girls put on the floor that made them Regional champ year after year. It is obvious to all but you, and your cheerleader ambassador, the reason for her inability to compete on the same level as Rick Mounts is due to her own inadequacies; and as i have said before, she has had ample time to improve her game.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:I was simply defending the JCHS players aka children when OrangenowBlue said JCHS was overrated, when in fact at their young impressionable age it would have to be a coach's responisbility, not necessarily the JCHS coach, but you would have to agree you cannot place the blame on the children. Unless you are sick. Your implications have nothing to do with what i said.

I'm glad you defended the JCHS players. That was kind of you. About you saying that the coach is overrated, you are allowed to make your opinion.

Yet, that's your opinion. I must personally disagree with you. The coach has been a region competitor since the 2004 season. I'm sure any other school in the 15th region would like to be a region competitor. I believe the coach has to give credit to the talent at Johnson Central, but she is definitely a great coach.

So overall, is this coach overrated? Not at all. Is this team overrated? Seeing that they're usually a regional contender every year, no.
If JCHS were in Betsy/South Floyd/Allen Central district, I highly doubt if they would have been regional contender as many times as they have. I can see where that coach's accomplishments are overrated. Good luck to all the teams regardless and hope to see some good volley this season.
For the record I don't share the same thoughts, as I have great respect for all coaches regardless of the sport, it is a tough but wonderful job to teach youth much more than winning the district, region, or state. While this should certainly be a goal, providing an opportunity for youth to participate in team skills and life is much great in my opinion. When a team wins a game, district, region or state titles that is great but not the whole world.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with some of your opinions, but not all. As the student players reach high school age, the goal of providing an opportunity to "participate" in team skills, as you suggest, is no longer as important as it was in the elementary and middle school levels. Refining the skills they learned when they were younger only occurs naturally. The high school athletes becomes more focused on improving their game and thus want to be rewarded and challenged with a "win". Therefore, coaching methods should be and are different in high school; however, good sportmanship should never be compromised. Team players only want the best athletes on their team giving them the best competitive advantage. This desire is shown by children at a very young age when they pick who they want on their team and yes I was
picked last sometimes. In high school physical education classes provide the opportunity for participation for everyone.

If winning is not important, then why are coaches hassled to win? Billy Clyde would prob still be with Kentucky if winning wasnt important.

As we get older, the opportunity to be a member of a competitive sports team becomes less of a reality, but the opportunity to enjoy a sport with friends can always be a possiblity where winning is optional.
Didn't know coaches around here got paid what Billy Clyde got.
So basically, are you saying, if the coaches were paid more money, they would make more effort to win? Or should it be, if they coach better, they get paid better? Are they 'appointed' coach or do they apply for the job? If they are appointed as coach, I could possibly understand the inability to produce desired results until a more qualified coach applies for the position.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:I was simply defending the JCHS players aka children when OrangenowBlue said JCHS was overrated, when in fact at their young impressionable age it would have to be a coach's responisbility, not necessarily the JCHS coach, but you would have to agree you cannot place the blame on the children. Unless you are sick. Your implications have nothing to do with what i said.

If you will review my post, my remarks pertain to ALL COACHES. Unless you are the JCHS coach and i somehow touched a nerve, most good coaches would have to agree. Is there anything wrong with teaching the fundamentals, evaluating the oppenents and revising game plans ?

If you have a problem with that, I question what kind of coach you or want for our children.

Your implications that i said, (which I never) "throw in the towel" are way out of line and you should post an apology to this forum for it is you who is trying to cause disruptions.

Do the girls at Belfry have a special volleyball gene that the other girls in our region doesnt have? Was Rick Mounts born with a gift to coach Volleybal No. It was a talent he developed over years and the hard word and determination those girls put on the floor that made them Regional champ year after year. It is obvious to all but you, and your cheerleader ambassador, the reason for her inability to compete on the same level as Rick Mounts is due to her own inadequacies; and as i have said before, she has had ample time to improve her game.

.No I am not a coach nor have I ever been a coach in Johnson County Schools, so no nerved touched on my end. However, I have had the pleasure of serving as an assistant coach and head coach for several years. My point was yes it is true that every time a player steps on the court or field they should give every effort to win the game and at the same time all coaches, parents, school administrators should support the student athlete to do their very best to win. Players need to practice and play hard, coaches need to continuously seek opportunities to improve their team and parents need to support both players and coaches. However, when the team does not win a game, district or region it is not the end of the world. Although I did have a different view of this early in life as a multi-sport player myself who once had high expectations to only be dashed by an auto accident prohibiting any opportunity to continue the sports that I loved, I was heart -broken but life goes on and thank the Lord all is well with me now. Keep high expectation but when your hopes are shattered of losing a game, district or regional title life will go on and you will do just fine. So "bump, spike, set" if you are a supporter of the sport, student athlete, why would you want to state any team or coach does not have what it takes to advance the team to the next level, let the kids play, let the coaches coach, lets enjoy the moment and see what happens at the end of the season. Chill, chill, chill

As for Belfry, yes they do have a good program that start early in the grade schools. This support by the school administrators has proven to be productive over the past several years. Yes Rick is an excellent coach as there are several other excellent coaches throughout the region
I said the coach, not the players, hasn't been able to take the team to the next level during the time she has been coach. If a team can give more, the coach should realize the potential and get it. If a coach doesnt have the knowledge, then seek the answers. Volleyball is a peripheral sport and often, but not always, in the rural areas coaches are not the most knowledgable in the peripheral sports and it is a learning sport for them as well. With that in mind, coaches should continue to learn and evaluate their teams' strengths and weaknesses with "winning" as the goal. I really don't think players are coming to practice just to "participate". Good luck to the jchs coach maybe she can
prove me wrong, but I guarantee Betsy Layne's coach already knows what it takes to win.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:I said the coach, not the players, hasn't been able to take the team to the next level during the time she has been coach. If a team can give more, the coach should realize the potential and get it. If a coach doesnt have the knowledge, then seek the answers. Volleyball is a peripheral sport and often, but not always, in the rural areas coaches are not the most knowledgable in the peripheral sports and it is a learning sport for them as well. With that in mind, coaches should continue to learn and evaluate their teams' strengths and weaknesses with "winning" as the goal. I really don't think players are coming to practice just to "participate". Good luck to the jchs coach maybe she can
prove me wrong, but I guarantee Betsy Layne's coach already knows what it takes to win.

Okay, okay, okay I get it, you really don't like the coach at JCHS, so who cares who you like or don't like. I don't know what makes you so qualified to determine anyone’s ability (please post your vita). It appears you are a strong Betsy Layne fan (Great) I have no problem with that either but I suspect others throughout the region will have an opinion about their own coach. As I stated before I believe several coaches in the region are very good and work very hard to help their team, such as Allen Central, East Ridge, Pikeville, South Floyd (who also has the best setter in the region). As well as Sheldon Clark, JCHS, Paintsville, and all the others I have not listed. Yes they are all from a rural area and I am certain they are proud of it and should be, as they are great people.

What would really benefit our young athletes is for people to quick bashing them and their coaches or parents or schools on open discussion but let’s build up our rural regions and perhaps someday they will be able to compete with the Assumption and go forward with with opportunties of division 1 scholarships to a university. I challenge you "Bump, Set, Spike" to step up with a positive attitude that will help all of our teams in the rural area and I am certain you can do this if you choose.
Keep the discussion to the thread topic please. Please use PM for a more indepth discussion.
Who is the coach at JC?
Old School Wrote:Who is the coach at JC?

Debbie McCool...they lost the top female athlete in the region last year (injury) and still made the semis of the region. Much different team with her on it.
Tin Cup Wrote:Debbie McCool...they lost the top female athlete in the region last year (injury) and still made the semis of the region. Much different team with her on it.

It's "a little" difficult to win games when you have a great player out because of injuries. I'm sure she wasn't the "whole team", but I'd say she would've helped a lot.

(By the way, when I say "a little", I mean "extremely".)
Tin Cup Wrote:Debbie McCool...they lost the top female athlete in the region last year (injury) and still made the semis of the region. Much different team with her on it.

Thanks, I thought she was the coach, but the way I was reading the post's I thought they might have hired a new one.