Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Should the Reds Do?
With the trade deadline (July 31) now only a little more than two weeks away, what do you think the Cincinnati Reds should do?

On the negative side, they currently have a losing record of 42-45, and sit in 5th place of a six-team division (thank goodness for the Pirates). The hitting has been spotty at best all season, and the pitching that has held them up so far is now starting to show some cracks.

On the plus side, even though they have a losing record, they are only 5 games out of first place, with only 3 more losses than the first-place Cardinals. The Reds have held together well despite the loss of their best hitter Joey Votto for about a month, and without one of their best pitchers Edinson Volquez for the past 6 weeks. With Votto now healthy, and Volquez possibly returning in the next few weeks, perhaps the Reds have one more run left in them.

So what should they do? Trade away young prospects for a veteran hitter and make a run this season? Or should they look toward 2010 and look to spin marketable vets like Rhodes, Weathers, Harang, and Arroyo for more prospects? If you want, suggest a possible trade that would be appealing for both teams (i.e., don't suggest they trade Arroyo for Hanley Ramirez).

I'll post my take later.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Work on there pitching. It is horrible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
They need to get some offense.
Fold the team..lol..
:igiveup:
Need to work on there hitting.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
The need to work on their Hitting, fielding, and pitching.. other than that they are fine lol
that's funny:thatsfunn:
They should just go ahead and trade away each of their best players for minor leaguers, that way they can repeat that cycle again over the next few seasons.

Wink
Thank God for the Pirates? C'mon Cowbell, was that really necessary? lol..Your five games out of first. You are getting your best hitter and your best pitcher back soon. Shoot no, dont look towards 2010. Trading your players for minor leaguers is a cycle that dont work (see- Pittsburgh Pirates) that much. You are FIVE GAMES OUT OF FIRST! Get everybody healthy and trade for someone that could help you in the pennant race. The division is very tight. I mean ****, the Pirates have lost 10 of 12, in last place but are still only 9 1/2 games out of first. If I was head honcho of the Redlegs, I say NOW is the future. They have a fairly solid team, and to throw away this season when your this close would be very detrimental to your teams psyche.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not too many specifics posted.

Another bat may be needed, possibly via trade, to spark the Jay Bruce-less offense. The Reds have been outscored 405-356, with the minus-49 differential the worst in the NL Central. A name like Scott Rolen whois on the trading block would be a nice fit.

The starting pitching generally has sagged in recent weeks. The pitching overall has improved versus last year with a 4.26 ERA this year compared to 4.55. It's been the inconsistency from the starters that has hurt this club.

Better health might help. The Reds have played only 10 games (5-5 record) with the projected Opening Day lineup of C Ramon Hernandez, 1B Joey Votto, 2B Brandon Phillips, 3B Edwin Encarnacion, SS Alex Gonzalez, LF Chris Dickerson/Jerry Hairston, CF Willy Taveras and RF Bruce. The current disabled list includes Gonzalez (right elbow surgery, return TBA) and Bruce, along with RHP Edinson Volquez (right elbow tendinitis, return TBA) and RHP Mike Lincoln (bulging disk in neck, return TBA).
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Fold the team..lol..
:biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Starting pitching isn't getting the job done. I know Arroyo did well in his last start, but the previous 3 or 4 he was getting lit up like a Christmas tree. Each time Harang pitches, he does quite well for the most part but isn't backed by the defensive play and there seems to be zero offensive production. Injuries have hampered the Reds this season, and are lucky to be where they are right now IMO. Edison Volquez on the DL hasn't helped things either as well as missing a month with Joey Votto and being without Jay Bruce now. I think that we desperately need a solid 3B. Edwin Encarnacion has a decent glove and often makes the routine plays, but too many times his errors, mental breakdowns from not knowing the situations, and impressive .150 batting average is taking us out of the close games. I say keep the youth, maybe try to add an arm to the rotation and get a third baseman that can add some pop to the line-up.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Work on there pitching. It is horrible.

Impressive Wrote:The need to work on their Hitting, fielding, and pitching.. other than that they are fine lol

IRISH4 Wrote:Starting pitching isn't getting the job done.

While I will agree that their pitchers (at least the starters) have not been world-beaters, overall the pitching has been the least of their worries. I have seen all too often this year that the starter, usually Harang or Cueto, goes out and puts up zeroes for a while, but gets NO run support. Then, he makes one mistake to the other team, and the game is over. The Reds simple don't give their starters enough runs to work with.

Sure the Reds could use another solid starter, but then what team couldn't? The bottom line is just that pitching is not the reason this team is sitting in 5th place right now. If the Reds are truly going to make a run this year, they would have to get another hitter. Scott Rolen would be nice, as would a number of other hitters.

But you can't just say, "go get some hitting" without offering something in return. Since the general consensus is that the Reds should go for it this year, who would you trade that would have value to a team in rebuilding mode (i.e., young talent/prospects)?

The Reds have some good outfield prospects like Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey. Also, it has been speculated that Joey Votto may be moved to LF when 1B prospect Yonder Alonso is ready for the big leagues. So with Votto, Bruce, Dickerson, Stubbs, and Heisey all in the mix, the Reds may have a surplus of young OF's to deal from. I would also be willing to part with pitching prospects like Matt Maloney and Nick Masset.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:While I will agree that their pitchers (at least the starters) have not been world-beaters, overall the pitching has been the least of their worries. I have seen all too often this year that the starter, usually Harang or Cueto, goes out and puts up zeroes for a while, but gets NO run support. Then, he makes one mistake to the other team, and the game is over. The Reds simple don't give their starters enough runs to work with.

Sure the Reds could use another solid starter, but then what team couldn't? The bottom line is just that pitching is not the reason this team is sitting in 5th place right now. If the Reds are truly going to make a run this year, they would have to get another hitter. Scott Rolen would be nice, as would a number of other hitters.

But you can't just say, "go get some hitting" without offering something in return. Since the general consensus is that the Reds should go for it this year, who would you trade that would have value to a team in rebuilding mode (i.e., young talent/prospects)?

The Reds have some good outfield prospects like Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey. Also, it has been speculated that Joey Votto may be moved to LF when 1B prospect Yonder Alonso is ready for the big leagues. So with Votto, Bruce, Dickerson, Stubbs, and Heisey all in the mix, the Reds may have a surplus of young OF's to deal from. I would also be willing to part with pitching prospects like Matt Maloney and Nick Masset.

Do you think we will see Yonder this season?
MVP2 Wrote:Do you think we will see Yonder this season?

Doubtful. He is in double-A ball right now after starting the season in single-A. I don't see the team jumping him that far in one year.

Also I am pretty sure that he is currently injured, something like a broken hand.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sell the team.
get a new manager
A.Silva Wrote:Sell the team.

And that accomplishes what?
Stardust Wrote:And that accomplishes what?

Because they have been doing as much as you. Which is, nothing. Just a waste to keep 'em around. They aren't ever gonna make the playoffs, win a pennant, or win the WS. So why keep them?
also get a new trainer so we wont get so many injuries
A.Silva Wrote:Because they have been doing as much as you. Which is, nothing. Just a waste to keep 'em around. They aren't ever gonna make the playoffs, win a pennant, or win the WS. So why keep them?

That's just a completely unconversant comment, completely nescient
A.Silva Wrote:Because they have been doing as much as you. Which is, nothing. Just a waste to keep 'em around. They aren't ever gonna make the playoffs, win a pennant, or win the WS. So why keep them?

You're an idiot. Smile
Jshort5 Wrote:You're an idiot. Smile

:lmao::Thumbs:
i say trade Harang for a everday SS.
Reds are on a 14 game slide, one that saw them at 6 over .500, to now being 8 under. This ship is SINKING fast!
Faster than the Titanic!
Magnum PI Wrote:Faster than the Titanic!

blurp, blurp, blurp - and, it's gone.....:igiveup:
I am glad that the Reds games are on Fox Sports. It has helped cure my Insomnia. Whenever baseball season is over, I will turn over to the Lexington affiliates and watch Bengals football so I can continue sleeping.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I am glad that the Reds games are on Fox Sports. It has helped cure my Insomnia. Whenever baseball season is over, I will turn over to the Lexington affiliates and watch Bengals football so I can continue sleeping.

:yawn::zzz:

lol :Thumbs: