Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Athletic Program in Eastern Kentucky
Which school in Eastern Kentucky has the best athletic program. This includes all sports and their successes. Not just the big three sports. Here is a list of my top 5.

1. Johnson Central
2. Corbin
3. Letcher Central
4. Clay County
5. Perry Central
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Which school in Eastern Kentucky has the best athletic program. This includes all sports and their successes. Not just the big three sports. Here is a list of my top 5.

1. Johnson Central
2. Corbin
3. Letcher Central
4. Clay County
5. Perry Central

lol sounds a bit bias, but okay..
Basketball- Paintsville, Hazard ( year in and out)
Football- Bell, Belfry, Breathitt- always in the running to be a contender
#1 - South Laurel - Football program may not win a lot but they play a loaded schedule. They are very good in other sports though.

#2 - Bell County
#3 - Johnson Central
#4 - Hazard
#5 - Corbin
#6 - Perry Central
#7 - North Laurel
#8 - Clay County
#9 - Middlesboro
#10- Pikeville
The thread title says "Eastern Kentucky" not Mountains.

You guys are forgetting about schools like Ashland, Russell, Lawrence Co., Raceland, Rowan Co., East & West Carter, Pulaski Co., Rockcastle Co., Southwestern, Somerset, etc.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The thread title says "Eastern Kentucky" not Mountains.

You guys are forgetting about schools like Ashland, Russell, Lawrence Co., Raceland, Rowan Co., East & West Carter, Pulaski Co., Rockcastle Co., Southwestern, Somerset, etc.

You stole my thunder. EKY programs not in the mountains
Ashland- Multiple state titles in multiple sports. Always one of the favorites in the 16th region in basketball. Correct me if I am wrong in the top ten in victories in football and basketball. Solid in all sports
Russell- Also solid in all sports. Recent state title and runner up in football. Although down in basketball of recent years always was a favorite to win the 16th. Many state titles in track and field. An elite softball team in the 16th region. Multiple regional championships in softball
Raceland- Good football program. Needs to get over the hump and actually win a regional title to be considered elite in football. Solid track and baseball programs. State title in 2003 in track. One of the better softball teams in the 16th region, all "A" state runner-up two or three years ago.
Greenup Co.- Great in basketball when Randy Ward was coach. Too much talent to stay down, just needs some coaching stability. Great in baseball recent years.
In 2008-09Letcher Central won the region in Volleyball, Boys Cross Country, Boys Track, and Boys Tennis. Girls was region runnerup in Cross Country and Track. Football won 10 games and was region runnerup to Whitley County. Boys and Girls Soccer both had winning seasons with girls winning district and boys being district runnerup. Boys Basketball won over 20 games, won the district, and was a regional semi-finalist. Girls basketball won 28 games, won district, and was runner-up in the region. Boys baseball was under .500 by one game and it is the first season in school history that they didn't win 20 games. Girls softball won 17 games. Both softball and baseball were district runnersup. Their Golf, Wrestling, and Girls Tennis teams are both competitive. This is not bad for a school that has only existed for four years. Before consolidation, none of the old schools had soccer or wrestling. Letcher and Fleming-Neon did not have Golf or Tennis. Letcher did not have track and cross-country. The future looks bright.
In no particular order, here are a few schools:

- Johnson Central
- Ashland Blazer
- Letcher Central
- Corbin
- Belfry
- Russell
outdoorsman43 Wrote:In no particular order, here are a few schools:

- Johnson Central
- Ashland Blazer
- Letcher Central
- Corbin
- Belfry
- Russell

I'd replace Belfry with Lawrence County.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:In no particular order, here are a few schools:

- Johnson Central
- Ashland Blazer
- Letcher Central
- Corbin
- Belfry
- Russell

Good list also.
Johnson Central.

I really don't know to much about any other big time programs. So, I don't think i could compare them.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Letcher Central did a really good job as a whole last year. They are just getting to understand using other players in other sports. If they would use the football players for wrestling like Johnson Central, and Sheldon Clark does, I think we could do better than what we did in wrestling. I also think that more kids could have come out for track. We was successful, but I think we could have done better in the state level if we had more kids out. Note that we are cross country and track regional champs, and regional runners up without a track field. Just think what we could do if we had a field to run on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Don't get me wrong because you need a track to push your program over the top, but in the eighties Whitesburg won several regional titles in Track and they practiced running around West Whitesburg Elementary. Sonya Mosier, Monek Wampler, and Deanna Boggs all won individual state track titles and practiced running around the elementary school. We really need a track and the school board should build one but if you don't have one you can continue to be successful.
Sorry for not including ASHLAND, they are top notch in athletics. I dont know much about the other schools in Northeastern KY. I know Raceland has had some awesome football teams and Greenup has been tough in basketball boys. Lawerence has been pretty darn good also. Just not real familiar with them though.
But that is a different time. These kids see the turf and the nice baseball field, and they won't take the sport seriously until they get a field. That is just my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

You are probably right. If they keep working hard and winning championships eventually they will probably get their track.
It is just sad that they haven't already started on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I know. I agree.
Yeah if you like mud wrestling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

warmachine Wrote:Perry Central has the best Football Field in the State! LMAO

Sounds like a little sarcasm.
I don't know about historically, but I did read an article in the Lexington Herald about a month ago giving Johnson Central some cudo's for this.
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/819582.html
Football 11-2 (region runner-up to Highlands)
Boys Basketball 22-8 (made it to the region semi's)
Girls Basketball 26-6 (region champs)
Baseball 21-13 (Region runner-up)
Softball 24-10 (Region Champs)
Boys Track finished 9th in state with 2 gold medals.
Girls Track was 10th with a silver.

And I know academics were not part of this post, but if you throw that into the equation I would say that JC is one of the top schools in the state.
And don't forget the top 5 as a team, and the individual state champ I think they had in wrestling. You have just proven my point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Keepnitreal Wrote:I don't know about historically, but I did read an article in the Lexington Herald about a month ago giving Johnson Central some cudo's for this.
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/819582.html
Football 11-2 (region runner-up to Highlands)
Boys Basketball 22-8 (made it to the region semi's)
Girls Basketball 26-6 (region champs)
Baseball 21-13 (Region runner-up)
Softball 24-10 (Region Champs)
Boys Track finished 9th in state with 2 gold medals.
Girls Track was 10th with a silver.

And I know academics were not part of this post, but if you throw that into the equation I would say that JC is one of the top schools in the state.

That is the reason when I started this thread, I had Johnson Central listed as number 1.
We are closing in on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!