Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Players Ever in 14th Region
Kristie Combs did not play any DEFENSE.
Kristie was a heckuva player and she has a championship ring.
Sherman14, look up what year Jenkins went to the final four in the state, and who we lost to. If I am not mistaken it was warren central, but I don't know the year. Henry and Reeda Wright was the best basketball coaches we had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Yeah Kristie has a ring but they had about 4 or 5 other girls on that team that had college scholorships besides her. She was the best offensive player on the team but she didnt do it all. Adams was a **** of a point guard. They wouldnt have won the state tournament if they hadnt got her from Dilce. Napier was a monster at Center. 6'3. Eversole would guard the **** out of people. Smith could shoot the lights out. Lawson was a BEAST. Couch was a killing machine. The big girl from Cordia was an unreal athlete. Stidham was a PLAYER!!!!!! All those girls could of played college ball. NOT JUST A ONE WOMAN SHOW AT MC NAPIER in 1994.
I never once said she was a one woman team, just that she was one of the best players ever in the region if not the best. One girl teams don't go very far. I have stated this time and again in previous threads.
Originally Posted by OrangenowBlue
Who do you consider as some of the best girls basketball players in 14th region history. I have listed 20 players who I feel would be in this category. They are listed in no certain order.

Kristy Combs - M.C. Napier
Jody Sizemore - Leslie County
Brigette Combs - Whitesburg
Polly Sebastian - Perry Central
Kellie Stamper - Knott Central
Tiphanie Bates - Whitesburg
Casi Mullins- Galloway - Knott Central
Lee etta Cummings - Dilce Combs
Tracy Ison - Whitesburg
Candi Fannin - Hazard
Debra Oden - Jenkins
Hillary Swisher - Whitesburg
Carolyn Alexander - Hazard
Angel Stevens - Breathitt Co
Peggy Moore - Buckhorn
Kristy Sexton - Jenkins
Amanda Baker - Whitesburg
Charlotte Sizemore - Hazard
Irene Moore - Breathitt Co
Brandi Baker - Whitesburg

This is a great list but you are leaving out alot of good basketball players. Some others that weren't mentioned were Vickie Hall, Candace Sturgill, Lora Bates, Suzette Sturgill, Stephanie Potter, Regina Holbrook, and Alicia Combs.
I mentioned some of these later on in the thread. Letcher County has had some many good girls basketball players so I only mentioned the ones who played Division 1 or had one a national championship. These girls you listed were all awesome players also. If you look back in this thread you will see where some of these ladies were discussed.
I noticed some of those girls were mentioned after I sent the comment. Sorry! I just think you left out some good girls and they deserve to be mentioned too. Vickie Hall, Lora Lee Bates, Jennifer Vance, Candy Perry...
Which Letcher County girl athlete won a national championship?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Brandi Baker and Steffani Slone, Graduates of WHS class of 1996 led Shawnee State to the NAIA National championship.
The year they won it was 1999 and they defeated St. Francis College, 80-65, in the national championship.
Thanks for the info.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Reds#1Fan Wrote:Kendall Noble will end up being the best 14 region player of all time by the time she is done. The things she has done already is crazy. She has a chance to score over 3,000 pts in her career and go to the Sweet 16 6 times.

Not taking anything away from some of the older players on the list but girls basketball was a lot bigger in the hills compared to the rest of the state in the 80's and early 90's.

:dontthink
Lets dont get carried away, Kendall is a good player however she will not be the greatest to ever come from the 14th region, if she wants this distinction she better be getting Breathitt to the Finals and sign a major D 1 scholarship. Kendall will not even be the best to come out of Breathitt County.
I think she can land a d-1 that isn't the issue, but I think she needs to work on her defense, and the next three years she needs a supporting cast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Carolyn Alexander - 1997 state champ, runner-up for Miss Basketball in 1998, ranked in several categories in KHSAA state records, scholarship to UK, played in NCAA tournament.
She is on my list at the beginning of the thread. Awesome player, great person.
What high school did she go to?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

You are slipping Cougarpride. She played on Hazard's 1997 state championship team. You know who they beat in the regional championship. Jenkins.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You are slipping Cougarpride. She played on Hazard's 1997 state championship team. You know who they beat in the regional championship. Jenkins.

Basketball is in that family's blood... her uncle, Victor Alexander, was a first round pick (17th) in the 1991 NBA draft. He played about five years in the NBA for Golden State. And I'm pretty sure her dad Dickie played D-1.
House Wrote:Basketball is in that family's blood... her uncle, Victor Alexander, was a first round pick (17th) in the 1991 NBA draft. He played about five years in the NBA for Golden State. And I'm pretty sure her dad Dickie played D-1.

He was a star on the Hazard team that beat Whitesburg in the regional finals and made it to the state tournament in 1979. He went on to play at Morehead State although I am not sure if he finished or not. LCC athletic director, Ozz Jackson was the coach of the Whitesburg team that Hazard beat.
I am slipping, but don't know as much as you do orange.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I am slipping, but don't know as much as you do orange.

You are still pretty smart. I am just a little older.
You got to remember that in 97 I was in Jenkins, and followed them some. I remember now that we made it to the finals that year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Chris Lewis is good from Jackson City

Oops, he isn't a girl, my bad
Kasey mullins Galloway

definitely one of the best, how many girls in the 14th in this decade can say they've gotten a scholarship offer to UK. Not Many