Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ainge's criticism of Rondo angers agent
General manager Danny Ainge's verbal flogging of point guard Rajon Rondo on Boston's airwaves -- one day after saying the Celtics were extremely fond of him -- has drawn the ire of the player's agent.

Rondo, who helped the Celtics win the 2008 NBA championship and averaged 16.9 points in this year's playoffs, has been the subject of much trade speculation.

After telling reporters Tuesday that he does not intend to trade any of the Celtics' core players this offseason, Ainge told WEEI on Wednesday that

Rondo needed "to grow up" and that "his presence hurt" the team in its seven-game loss to the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Ainge also said that Rondo, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, is not a "max contract player."

"I am just surprised that Danny is speaking, even if he considers it constructively, in a public setting [about Rondo]," the player's agent, Bill Duffy, told WEEI. "I don't think that it's appropriate to say that about one of your top players. Even if it's spoken constructively, I don't think it should be done in public. I don't think he would like it if Wyc [Grousbeck, the organization's managing partner] was talking about him in public.

"What they're saying about [Rondo] critically is actually an asset to him. He is feisty. He is competitive, yes. Last time I checked they won a world championship with him at point guard. If the team wasn't hurting they might have done it again this year. Rondo's tough love from Danny isn't necessary. He's self-motivated and a self-starter."

While saying Tuesday that no Celtics player is untradeable, Ainge insisted he wouldn't do anything that would make the team worse this season and that he isn't sour on Rondo. The Celtics have only one pick -- No. 58 -- in the draft Thursday night.

"That talk is so false," Ainge said. "We love the kid and we think he's got a very bright future. I don't anticipate any trades happening this offseason regarding any of our core players. ... We're certainly not doing anything this year to get a draft pick that's a developmental project, that's going to make it harder to win a championship this year."

Duffy said he and Ainge spoke Monday, and the agent told WEEI that Ainge "gave me every assurance that he wasn't moving [Rondo]. According to WEEI, Duffy hasn't requested that Rondo be traded.

"No, it's not to that point," Duffy said. "But if they choose to trade him, then that's their prerogative."

Still, after hearing what Ainge said on the radio about Rondo and knowing it's likely he'll be discussing a new contract with Ainge, Duffy said, "It doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. You say you love him and then you are critical? You're certainly not recruiting him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4286112
first off when a guys shows that kind of heart on a team to where he's not suppose to be a leader you should applaud him. instead you pretty much say don't get the big head so you can try and save money on is upcoming contract.
I think it's funny, that an agent gets upset. Agents lie, cheat and steal from both the teams and the players, and then this guy has the gal to cry the blues by saying he was lied to. What a hoot.
Rondo does have some problems with me me me kind of attitude, but aren't they all kinds of players out there that will be like him? Arrogance sometimes is a good thing. No one stepped up in the playoffs like Rondo, and my question is where was Ray Allen at? Rondo had all these triple doubles and was a major factor in the team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Rondo does have some problems with me me me kind of attitude, but aren't they all kinds of players out there that will be like him? Arrogance sometimes is a good thing. No one stepped up in the playoffs like Rondo, and my question is where was Ray Allen at? Rondo had all these triple doubles and was a major factor in the team.

I don't think there is a great person alive that does not believe "they are the best". It's OK to be self-confident, the challenge is being able to manifest that confidence in leading a "Team". Until Michael Jordan realized that, all he was, was a great scorer. After he took his greatness and channeled it into becoming a leader, he became the Greatest to ever play the game.
C'mon Stardust, Jordan was great, but we all know that Will Perdue was the heart and soul of those Bulls teams Big Grin
Stardust Wrote:I don't think there is a great person alive that does not believe "they are the best". It's OK to be self-confident, the challenge is being able to manifest that confidence in leading a "Team". Until Michael Jordan realized that, all he was, was a great scorer. After he took his greatness and channeled it into becoming a leader, he became the Greatest to ever play the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:I don't think there is a great person alive that does not believe "they are the best". It's OK to be self-confident, the challenge is being able to manifest that confidence in leading a "Team". Until Michael Jordan realized that, all he was, was a great scorer. After he took his greatness and channeled it into becoming a leader, he became the Greatest to ever play the game.
who do you see doing that now. kobe and i dont like him but repsect his game alot after see what type of leader he is. now when lebron gets shaq he will be shown that part also.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:C'mon Stardust, Jordan was great, but we all know that Will Perdue was the heart and soul of those Bulls teams Big Grin

How dumb of me :biggrin:

:Thumbs:
beasy_bo Wrote:who do you see doing that now. kobe and i dont like him but repsect his game alot after see what type of leader he is. now when lebron gets shaq he will be shown that part also.

As this stage, just like you b-bo, I don't like Kobe, but I think he is there now. Actually, he may have proved it this year. But for me, Lebron is knocking on the door. He needs players that are willing to PLAY for him, and not WATCH him. MJ had the same issues early on. MJ was smart enough to kick them in the tail and force them to step up their games. If you go back to the championship days of the Bulls, MJ would put up his 35, but in most cases he put 20-25 up in the 2nd half. He was the playmaker during the 1st half of games, forcing his guys to work and not watch. That made them better players, which ultimately complimented Jordan's game in the long run. They were obviously confident in him, but most important, he was confident in them.

You began to hear that from Kobe this year. He has never been confident in his teammates, then all of a sudden, you started hearing Kobe say "We", and mean it! Lebron does not have that cast yet.
^thats exactly what i noticed this year. he came out with a whole other game plan and imo it won him the championship. he helped jackson coach that team on and off the floor. i think if lebron can get that portion to his game this early in his career he'll have alot of rings too. but a younger shaq helped kobe get his and lebron doesn't have that yet!!!
beasy_bo Wrote:^thats exactly what i noticed this year. he came out with a whole other game plan and imo it won him the championship. he helped jackson coach that team on and off the floor. i think if lebron can get that portion to his game this early in his career he'll have alot of rings too. but a younger shaq helped kobe get his and lebron doesn't have that yet!!!

Great post
^thanx your so nice