Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA upsets Spain in FIFA World Cup Semi Finals
The USA defeated Spain 2-0 earlier today and will advance to the FIFA World Cup Finals against either Brazil or South Africa!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
C.Clair Wrote:The USA defeated Spain 2-0 earlier today and will advance to the FIFA World Cup Finals against either Brazil or South Africa!
this is a great day for my fellow soccer fans. A team that potentialy had no chance at even making it out of the group stages has really shown confidence, grit and what american soccer is known for. This tournament has been looked at by the US soccer community as a proven ground and while we looked HIGHLY overrated being rated 14th in the world losing the first game 3-1 Italy and 3-0 Brazil we step up on a big stage and take down a power in #1 spain.

On a side not the card pulling by the FIFA officals are getting a little ridiculos 3 straight reds in 4 games is really sad especially in todays tackle made by Bradley. Oh well on to the finals and it is more than likely going to be a match against "world power" Brazil. Lets go you FIN YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C.Clair Wrote:The USA defeated Spain 2-0 earlier today and will advance to the FIFA World Cup Finals against either Brazil or South Africa!

also a side not here its the finals of the Confederations Cup which a prelude to the World Cup. The FIFA World Cup is next June 353 days away
Im not much of a soccer fan but this is a great thing.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
This was extremely surprising and disappointing! Now ESPN will waste more air time on this communist sport :biggrin:
What is the chance that we win it? If we won against Spain, can we beat Brazil?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I think the USA has a great chance to win this thing. Heck, we beat a team that hadnt lost a game in like 35 matches.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:What is the chance that we win it? If we won against Spain, can we beat Brazil?

well there is always a chance like Alexies Morgan said during the commentary yeah of course Spain in the better team overall however the USA were the better team that day. With that said USA will have an extra day of rest and training to prepare for the game. Brazil is a tough team however, but they are playing this tournament with Ronaldinho back in Brazil and not in South Africa. They have a bounty of talent all over the field and are potent on set pieces (corners and free kicks). All depends on how well they Yanks play in the defending 3rd. Can not give up stuppied oppurtunities the last match against Brazil. if they play like they did yesterday then they will have nothing short of a 1-0 loss which would look alot better than the first drubbing they took. Key player to shut down in this one for the US will be the Fabiano (has score a goal in each game of the CONCAF and 4 total) and Kaka.
soccer is 50 percent lucky and 50 percent how well you play.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:soccer is 50 percent lucky and 50 percent how well you play.

and a 100% boring.....:biggrin:

JK
i believe if our goalie didn't have the game of his life we would've got beat 5-2. he also had alot of deflected balls too. only thing that dissappointed me is the red cards as said by bama. they called some crap out there and ill leave it at that.
Is there really that many people who watched this?
Stardust,
Soccer is becoming popular in this state. More high schools are fielding a soccer team, and to watch soccer is the same as playing it. Patience! I for one don't watch it nor play it, but I am always for U.S.A no matter what.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Stardust,
Soccer is becoming popular in this state. More high schools are fielding a soccer team, and to watch soccer is the same as playing it. Patience! I for one don't watch it nor play it, but I am always for U.S.A no matter what.

We are turining into a Communist State! I'm Leaving!!!

:igiveup:

JK :biggrin:
Usa usa usa
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:Usa usa usa
thats why i watch it.
:popcorn::yawn::zzz:

Sorry, I drifted off there :biggrin:

JK
Wow you just get more and more annoying by the post...
celtics_FANactic Wrote:Wow you just get more and more annoying by the post...

And I care
Getting team captain Carlos Bocanegra back for this game was definately a big help.. as for GK Howard, he had a good game, he really only had to make 1 or 2 big saves. The defense definately stepped up and helped the keeper out.
Im not much of a Soccer fan myself but it does get my juices going when we knock off the big dogs of the world. I will watch the finals. USA! USA! USA!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
beasy_bo Wrote:i believe if our goalie didn't have the game of his life we would've got beat 5-2. he also had alot of deflected balls too. only thing that dissappointed me is the red cards as said by bama. they called some crap out there and ill leave it at that.

I disagree with your assesment of what the score would have been, I do agree that if Spain had scored an equalizer to tie the game at 1-1 the game would have took a drastic turn but if you look at it alot of the shots Spain took were just to keep Howard honest. Howard did a brillant job of defending the front post. The biggest mistake Spain made was not taking many opps to the opposite post to challenge howard. There was one shot that Villa took in the second half where he went far post and that was the only real shot that tested howard during the game.
Stardust Wrote:Is there really that many people who watched this?

Actually, yeah. I think there was.

USA played great!! Man I loved this. Awesome game.
Stardust Wrote:We are turining into a Communist State! I'm Leaving!!!

:igiveup:

JK :biggrin:

Hopefully.
Stardust I can udnerstand that you dont like the sport. But why do you have to get in here and ruin our discussion. I understand that it is just playing around but the same remark to every post kind of gets aggrivating. You know I have respect for you as a member of this site but just please if you dont want to truly discuss the match or the game of soccer then just dont post. We are just trying to have good solid discussion about the match.

-Thanks
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Stardust I can udnerstand that you dont like the sport. But why do you have to get in here and ruin our discussion. I understand that it is just playing around but the same remark to every post kind of gets aggrivating. You know I have respect for you as a member of this site but just please if you dont want to truly discuss the match or the game of soccer then just dont post. We are just trying to have good solid discussion about the match.

-Thanks

Fair enough. Wow, people are way too sensitive.
Stardust Wrote:Is there really that many people who watched this?

I took potshots that were not meant to be personally taken. If I drew ire, then that is fine. I honestly feel passion is a good thing and if those passionate about the game took offense, out. I'm cool with that, but argue your point. It's not meant to be personal.

For those that I offended, my sincere apologies :igiveup:

As for the quoted comment above, it was a true question. I honestly did not even know that the game was televised, so to see the number who were posting was truly fascinating to me. There was a level of detail that if everyone who has a true passion for the sport would be more vocal and not sensitive to what others feel about your sport, you could win more people over.

:Thumbs:
I didn't get to view the game, but kept up with it online. I am a diehard Baseball/Football gal, but this is simply because that was what was popular when I was in high school in Paintsville (76-80). I was never a bigtime soccer fan until the women's team had all of that success a few years ago and then my son finally got a team @ our high school and he got to play last season. IT WAS ANYTHING BUT BORING. He played football and soccer last year because he had always wanted to play soccer and had waited for soccer to finally come to our school. He had given his word to Coach Kinner he would play football when Kinner was hired and approached him about playing football again.

While I understand that football is a game of strategy and takes time to play... and I adore it, soccer brought out the true competitor and lover of fast paced action in me! It is as fast a paced game with constant movement and battles as anything I have ever seen... in person or on television. I loved it.. loved every minute of it and enjoyed the fact that our team was pretty good considering it was a first year team, taking on teams with 3+ years experience or more. We did have several kids, who had played in rec leagues and so on, but we had a team of boys, who were committed to doing their best everytime they walked onto a field. It was just as much fun as I have had @ any sporting event my children have participated in... and like PB5 says... if the USA is in it... I AM FOR THEM... FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS... DON'T CARE IF IT'S A COWPATTY TOSSIN CONTEST... USA USA USA!
IISnakE Wrote:I didn't get to view the game, but kept up with it online. I am a diehard Baseball/Football gal, but this is simply because that was what was popular when I was in high school in Paintsville (76-80). I was never a bigtime soccer fan until the women's team had all of that success a few years ago and then my son finally got a team @ our high school and he got to play last season. IT WAS ANYTHING BUT BORING. He played football and soccer last year because he had always wanted to play soccer and had waited for soccer to finally come to our school. He had given his word to Coach Kinner he would play football when Kinner was hired and approached him about playing football again.

While I understand that football is a game of strategy and takes time to play... and I adore it, soccer brought out the true competitor and lover of fast paced action in me! It is as fast a paced game with constant movement and battles as anything I have ever seen... in person or on television. I loved it.. loved every minute of it and enjoyed the fact that our team was pretty good considering it was a first year team, taking on teams with 3+ years experience or more. We did have several kids, who had played in rec leagues and so on, but we had a team of boys, who were committed to doing their best everytime they walked onto a field. It was just as much fun as I have had @ any sporting event my children have participated in... and like PB5 says... if the USA is in it... I AM FOR THEM... FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS... DON'T CARE IF IT'S A COWPATTY TOSSIN CONTEST... USA USA USA!

:Thumbs:
So a side note here for all USA soccer fans. Speculation has it that German Jermaine Jones of the German Bundesliga team (Schalke 04). could join the United States as FIFA is expected to pass a rule that any player who has no CAPS for an international side can switch their national allegience. Jones has been on record as to saying he is wishful to play for the States come World Cup 2010. Jones is expected to change his allegence and to join the United States Mens Soccer Team as early as October. Jones plays in the mid field and is known for his on and off the field fire and determenation. Sometimes making rash tackles but is a great 50/50 ball winner, makes beautiful runs through the pitch and is known as a work aholic. Keep your fingers crossed for this could be a huge upgrade to our mid field.