Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2010
Just curious. I know LCC lost three seniors, but they have a bunch of talent coming back. What do you guys think? Top 3!
cougarpride08 Wrote:Just curious. I know LCC lost three seniors, but they have a bunch of talent coming back. What do you guys think? Top 3!

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the top 3 prediction. To say they will be a top 3 team next year is to say that they will be better than Powell County or Perry Central. I think the top 3 will be the same as this past season...Estill, Jenkins, then either Powell or Perry.

The loss of Chloe Wynn and Courney Johnson is pretty severe. Add second baseman Tekiah Caudill into that fold and you've lost your entire middle field. That's a big dent in their core group. They'll be district runners-up again to Jenkins but it should be another Region first round exit.
I hope you are wrong, but I was thinking the same thing.
I'm interested to see how Jenkins will fare without Rachel Thacker as the everyday pitcher next season. Depending on how they adapt to that will probably determine how far they make it in the post season in 2010.

If I had to guess, you might see Kayla Stambaugh move across the diamond to first while she platoons as pitcher with Brooke Webb (who should be their number one). I think you'll see Sierra Kiser on the field full-time next season as well if she can prove herself defensively. Her bat came around nicely.

In order to win the region, however, Jenkins needs...NEEDS... more hustle in center and right on defense and has to have a more consistant bat from Hillary Brashear. And for God's sake let Ali Goff swing the bat. They know she's gonna slap hit every time and they are throwing her out at first far too much. Mix it up a bit!
I agree with that statment. Who is she getting from middle school to play?
NikonD300 Wrote:I have to respectfully disagree with you on the top 3 prediction. To say they will be a top 3 team next year is to say that they will be better than Powell County or Perry Central. I think the top 3 will be the same as this past season...Estill, Jenkins, then either Powell or Perry.

The loss of Chloe Wynn and Courney Johnson is pretty severe. Add second baseman Tekiah Caudill into that fold and you've lost your entire middle field. That's a big dent in their core group. They'll be district runners-up again to Jenkins but it should be another Region first round exit.

I think Chloe Wynn was only a sophomore this year. Kayla Burton was senior.
NikonD300 Wrote:I'm interested to see how Jenkins will fare without Rachel Thacker as the everyday pitcher next season. Depending on how they adapt to that will probably determine how far they make it in the post season in 2010.

If I had to guess, you might see Kayla Stambaugh move across the diamond to first while she platoons as pitcher with Brooke Webb (who should be their number one). I think you'll see Sierra Kiser on the field full-time next season as well if she can prove herself defensively. Her bat came around nicely.

In order to win the region, however, Jenkins needs...NEEDS... more hustle in center and right on defense and has to have a more consistant bat from Hillary Brashear. And for God's sake let Ali Goff swing the bat. They know she's gonna slap hit every time and they are throwing her out at first far too much. Mix it up a bit!

You are right about Thacker. She has been the starting pitcher for JHS for 6 years. It will be interesting to see how things shake out with her gone next year. Webb will do well as long as she can be consistent. I agree that Kiser will probably be on the field full time next year. Lesha Fleming may be on the field full time next year as well. As you have said in a previous post I must respectfully disagree about the center and right fielders. I thought they were two of the most consistent defensive players throughout the whole season. The overwhelming majority of defensive meltdowns that led to unearned runs that cost the Lady Cavs some wins occurred in the infield. Also, there are some of the girls that need to become better baserunners. Several times throughtout the season base running blunders cost the team dearly.I agree with your comment about Brashear and that Goff with her speed and baserunning needs to be used in a manner to make her a more effective weapon. I never quite understood why she was moved down in the order from the leadoff spot.
1bassman Wrote:You are right about Thacker. She has been the starting pitcher for JHS for 6 years. It will be interesting to see how things shake out with her gone next year. Webb will do well as long as she can be consistent. I agree that Kiser will probably be on the field full time next year. Lesha Fleming may be on the field full time next year as well. As you have said in a previous post I must respectfully disagree about the center and right fielders. I thought they were two of the most consistent defensive players throughout the whole season. The overwhelming majority of defensive meltdowns that led to unearned runs that cost the Lady Cavs some wins occurred in the infield. Also, there are some of the girls that need to become better baserunners. Several times throughtout the season base running blunders cost the team dearly.I agree with your comment about Brashear and that Goff with her speed and baserunning needs to be used in a manner to make her a more effective weapon. I never quite understood why she was moved down in the order from the leadoff spot.

I'm right with you on Ali and the leadoff spot. I think it was a mistake to move her down and I reiterate my opinion that she needs to be allowed to swing the bat more often.

Speaking of Ali, please allow me to clarify my observation about her defensive play...as well as Belcher's. Something I heard many times is that Ali will break her neck to catch the ball in practice but pulls up at times in game situations. I saw the latter a few times myself but I attended no practices. That may just be her youth and something that will work itself out. She's a fine, fine center fielder and there is nowhere else I'd have her besides in center. On the balls that Belcher lets by her (a statistic thats winding it's way down nicely as she gets older) she takes a moment to show her emotion before turning to get the ball. That needs to stop completely and I hope she realizes that that is hurting the team. She also needs to fire the ball in on longer throws to third and home. I saw her make some fine catches out there this season, though. I'm not taking anything away from either of them.

And I believe that you are right in regards to Chloe Wynn now that I think about it. She's on the basketball team and Sharaye Kincer was the only senior on last year's team so you are correct. I actually think that LCC will be a better team next year due to the loss of certain "distractions" that followed around some players this past season.
I'd love to hear some educated predictions about Estill, Powell, and Perry Counties for next season. I'm so far away from the first two that I don't know how much they lost or gained. I'm closer to Perry County but still don't see them play much or read the Hazard Herald.

Any guesses on what we'll see from these teams?
NikonD300 Wrote:I'd love to hear some educated predictions about Estill, Powell, and Perry Counties for next season. I'm so far away from the first two that I don't know how much they lost or gained. I'm closer to Perry County but still don't see them play much or read the Hazard Herald.

Any guesses on what we'll see from these teams?

ESTILL COUNTY LOSES 4

Courtney Bishop (P)

Brittany Woolery (3B)

Shelby Rader (2B)

Kaylon Peck (OF)

POWELL COUNTY LOSES 4

Erin Billings (1B, DH)

Ashley Howard (2B, OF)

Megan Schirmer (RF)

Shelby Barnett (SS)
Powell should still be a pretty good team and should be able to replace howard, and Billings. They will struggle to replace Barnett and shirmer in the field and their bats.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I agree with that statment. Who is she getting from middle school to play?

Mercedes Boggs will undoubtedly be the backbone of that young team. Allie DePreist (I think thats her last name) will probably be groomed into a pitcher and I think she's already pitching in middle school games. I don't really know any of the other kids that I can think of.

The future looks bright. They've got a lot of kids out for the middle school team and if they all come up together and stick with softball they'll be tough by the time April gets done with them.

Letcher Central has a big middle school group, too. I think with the right coaching they'll be tough. I saw a lot of potential with those girls.
Who had the best bat for Jenkins? and Lcc?
Playhard Wrote:Who had the best bat for Jenkins? and Lcc?

In my observations, LCC's best bat was probably Courtney Johnson (correct me if I'm wrong folks). Chloe Wynn had a good stick, too. Several players hit homers this year but I'm not sure who they are. I will say that Courtney probably had the most power, though.

As for Jenkins, it depends on the situation, how you look at it, and what day of the week it is! Many of their players are streaky. The most power probably lies with Hillary Brasher and Brooke Webb, while your most consistant baserunner was probably Emily Walker. Walker is streaky when she's swinging away but she can almost always get on with a good bunt because of her speed. There are several others that could be mentioned but again, they are streak hitters.

Hope this helps, and I'd love some educated insight on the LCC part of this question.
NikonD300 Wrote:I'm right with you on Ali and the leadoff spot. I think it was a mistake to move her down and I reiterate my opinion that she needs to be allowed to swing the bat more often.

Speaking of Ali, please allow me to clarify my observation about her defensive play...as well as Belcher's. Something I heard many times is that Ali will break her neck to catch the ball in practice but pulls up at times in game situations. I saw the latter a few times myself but I attended no practices. That may just be her youth and something that will work itself out. She's a fine, fine center fielder and there is nowhere else I'd have her besides in center. On the balls that Belcher lets by her (a statistic thats winding it's way down nicely as she gets older) she takes a moment to show her emotion before turning to get the ball. That needs to stop completely and I hope she realizes that that is hurting the team. She also needs to fire the ball in on longer throws to third and home. I saw her make some fine catches out there this season, though. I'm not taking anything away from either of them.

And I believe that you are right in regards to Chloe Wynn now that I think about it. She's on the basketball team and Sharaye Kincer was the only senior on last year's team so you are correct. I actually think that LCC will be a better team next year due to the loss of certain "distractions" that followed around some players this past season.

If you are not at practices then how can you criticize or comment logically on how a lineup should be put together?? FYI, coaches make lineups judging by how people perform in practices.....so the fact that you never attended practices makes me doubt your knowledge of the sport all together and makes me wonder....why in the world is this person commenting on the lineup when they know NOTHING about what goes on in practice.
sballgal3 Wrote:If you are not at practices then how can you criticize or comment logically on how a lineup should be put together?? FYI, coaches make lineups judging by how people perform in practices.....so the fact that you never attended practices makes me doubt your knowledge of the sport all together and makes me wonder....why in the world is this person commenting on the lineup when they know NOTHING about what goes on in practice.

Ummm, yeah...I don't attend the practices of one particular team so that means that I know NOTHING about the sport. Wow, you really got me there.:moon:

Get real little girl! Coaches make lineups at the beginning of the season based on how players perform in practice. The lineup eventually comes together when the players prove their worth in game situations! If you do well in practice that's all well and good but it means nothing if you choke in the game.

Yeah, I really know nothing about this game.

Further, if I attend Jenkins' practices it would mean nothing as to the amount of knowledge of the game I'd gain if I didn't attend everyone's practices according to your infinite logic. That leads me to assume that you know nothing about the game if you're attending ONLY Jenkins' practices. That's pretty much what you said isn't it?
NikonD300 Wrote:Ummm, yeah...I don't attend the practices of one particular team so that means that I know NOTHING about the sport. Wow, you really got me there.:moon:

Get real little girl! Coaches make lineups at the beginning of the season based on how players perform in practice. The lineup eventually comes together when the players prove their worth in game situations! If you do well in practice that's all well and good but it means nothing if you choke in the game.

Further, if I attend Jenkins' practices it would mean nothing as to the amount of knowledge of the game I'd gain if I didn't attend everyone's practices according to your infinite logic. That leads me to assume that you know nothing about the game if you're attending ONLY Jenkins' practices. That's pretty much what you said isn't it?

You were criticizing the lineup, I was simply stating that how could you LOGICALLY criticize a lineup if you WERE NOT at a practice for THAT PARTICULAR TEAM. If we were in a ****ing contest I would tell you how much more about the game I know than you, but...I already know that I am more knowledgable about the game than you, so...yay me! :Cheerlead
sballgal3 Wrote:You were criticizing the lineup, I was simply stating that how could you LOGICALLY criticize a lineup if you WERE NOT at a practice for THAT PARTICULAR TEAM. If we were in a ****ing contest I would tell you how much more about the game I know than you, but...I already know that I am more knowledgable about the game than you, so...yay me! :Cheerlead

If you applied half as much logic to your posts as you do advertising your knowledge of the game you'd be dangerous.

And I can only assume that since you have that need to advertise that you know so much more about the game than other people you obviously have an insecurity about that. That's your problem, not mine.
NikonD300 Wrote:If you applied half as much logic to your posts as you do advertising your knowledge of the game you'd be dangerous.

And I can only assume that since you have that need to advertise that you know so much more about the game than other people you obviously have an insecurity about that. That's your problem, not mine.

Lol, ever heard of sarcasm buddy...you have no sense of humor. Keep posting, I am sure everyone just loves to read your very well thought out, logical, and knowledgable postings. YAY YOU!
sballgal3 Wrote:Lol, ever heard of sarcasm buddy...you have no sense of humor. Keep posting, I am sure everyone just loves to read your very well thought out, logical, and knowledgable postings. YAY YOU!

agreed
NikonD300 Wrote:Ummm, yeah...I don't attend the practices of one particular team so that means that I know NOTHING about the sport. Wow, you really got me there.:moon:

Careful here! You have made some good posts in this thread but I don't think you are talking to a "little girl" as you seem to think with sballgal3. I'm not trying to take sides in this discussion but, it's obvious from her posts in other threads that she is not a "little girl" and really does know a lot about the game.
sballgal3 Wrote:Lol, ever heard of sarcasm buddy...you have no sense of humor. Keep posting, I am sure everyone just loves to read your very well thought out, logical, and knowledgable postings. YAY YOU!

Just as much as they love reading your sarcastic, insultive drivel? I thought we were on here to discuss sports, not to win popularity contests.
1bassman Wrote:Careful here! You have made some good posts in this thread but I don't think you are talking to a "little girl" as you seem to think with sballgal3. I'm not trying to take sides in this discussion but, it's obvious from her posts in other threads that she is not a "little girl" and really does know a lot about the game.

I know who she is but she is the one that inisisted of getting personal first, sir.
NikonD300 Wrote:In my observations, LCC's best bat was probably Courtney Johnson (correct me if I'm wrong folks). Chloe Wynn had a good stick, too. Several players hit homers this year but I'm not sure who they are. I will say that Courtney probably had the most power, though.

As for Jenkins, it depends on the situation, how you look at it, and what day of the week it is! Many of their players are streaky. The most power probably lies with Hillary Brasher and Brooke Webb, while your most consistant baserunner was probably Emily Walker. Walker is streaky when she's swinging away but she can almost always get on with a good bunt because of her speed. There are several others that could be mentioned but again, they are streak hitters.

Hope this helps, and I'd love some educated insight on the LCC part of this question.

They really need to work in the off season. That will make a difference whether they make it or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:They really need to work in the off season. That will make a difference whether they make it or not.

You're right. They do need work. Hopefully some of the kids will find some summer ball to play or take it upon themselves to work on some things.

Several of the Jenkins players are playing summer ball from what I've heard so you'll probably see even more improvement from those players next season. They're gonna be tough again.
April Damron is the hottest softball coach in the world.
I know that six of Jenkins players have played summer ball every summer since they were tee ballers. They have made a run at the state titlle for the past two years. I know that their junior league team was state runner up to Adair County two years ago and last year they lost both games by 1 run. I spoke to the manager of their senior league team and he said they played really well but just came up short. So you guys are right you have to play as much as possible to improve and it seems like a majority of Jenkins players have dedicate most of their summers to softball.
Playhard Wrote:I know that six of Jenkins players have played summer ball every summer since they were tee ballers. They have made a run at the state titlle for the past two years. I know that their junior league team was state runner up to Adair County two years ago and last year they lost both games by 1 run. I spoke to the manager of their senior league team and he said they played really well but just came up short. So you guys are right you have to play as much as possible to improve and it seems like a majority of Jenkins players have dedicate most of their summers to softball.

Did Mike Webb or Hatler Kiser coach them then? I know Hatler used to do it at some level but I'm not sure if he does anymore. They both seem like good coaches.
Hatler was the one telling me about the senior league, he and Mike had the senior league team at state and Mike had the junior league team. I know Mike use to bring his little league team down to letcher to play us all the time.
Playhard Wrote:I know that six of Jenkins players have played summer ball every summer since they were tee ballers. They have made a run at the state titlle for the past two years. I know that their junior league team was state runner up to Adair County two years ago and last year they lost both games by 1 run. I spoke to the manager of their senior league team and he said they played really well but just came up short. So you guys are right you have to play as much as possible to improve and it seems like a majority of Jenkins players have dedicate most of their summers to softball.

That is what we need to do. I hope someone that is affiliated with the team is reading this. This is what you need to do to be in the running.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]