Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Maynard for All-State
This kid is so overlooked on a statewide level so let's get the word out on him:
Maynard has only been playing football for two years, last season he started both ways for Belfry and helped lead them to a state championship.

This year he was moved to HB to fill the void left by graduation and has been amazing at the position as well as many others.

Maynard has scored a touchdown the following ways:
1) By rushing the ball (17TD)
2)By catching the ball (2TD)
3) Returning punts and kickoffs (7TD)
4)Returning an interception (1TD)
5) Returning a Fumble (1TD)

He has scored a grand total of 28 TD, he has also ran in a 2pt conversion, and on defense intercepted 4 passes.

By the end of the season he will have eclipsed the 1000 yard mark, even more impressive considering the fact that by season's end there could be a chance of 3 Pirate runners being over the 1000 yard mark.
orisonspi Wrote:This kid is so overlooked on a statewide level so let's get the word out on him:
Maynard has only been playing football for two years, last season he started both ways for Belfry and helped lead them to a state championship.

This year he was moved to HB to fill the void left by graduation and has been amazing at the position as well as many others.

He has scored a grand total of 28 TD, he has also ran in a 2pt conversion, and on defense intercepted 4 passes.

By the end of the season he will have eclipsed the 1000 yard mark, even more impressive considering the fact that by season's end there could be a chance of 3 Pirate runners being over the 1000 yard mark.

If he really has 7 kick returns for TDs then he has the single season state record.

Not doubting you at all, just mentioning it because those stats need to be sent to the KHSAA.
He also has 7 interceptions..
He's a good athlete...
HappyGilmore Wrote:If he really has 7 kick returns for TDs then he has the single season state record.

Not doubting you at all, just mentioning it because those stats need to be sent to the KHSAA.

I think he meant he has 7 kickoff TD's and Punt return for TD combined I could be wrong tho...
Yes, 7 overall kicks returned for TD's....
orisonspi Wrote:Yes, 7 overall kicks returned for TD's....

Thats what I meant, too.

And thats what I meant for the record.

7 overall kick returns would be a single-season state record.

A handful of guys have 6, Nick Jamerson of Prestonsburg being one of them.
C'mon Those Are Very Impressive Numbers, But Look At The Level Of Competion.

He Is A Very Good Athlete, But How Many Teams In The Top 10 Has Belfry Played.

Maybe Honarable Mention, But First Team Is Out Of The Question.

He's The Best Player On A Team Dominated By Sophs.
VINCE VEGA Wrote:C'mon Those Are Very Impressive Numbers, But Look At The Level Of Competion.

He Is A Very Good Athlete, But How Many Teams In The Top 10 Has Belfry Played.

Maybe Honarable Mention, But First Team Is Out Of The Question.

He's The Best Player On A Team Dominated By Sophs.

Did I ever say 1st team for the kid? There are spots on all teams for "athlees" and that's where I think he would fit.

Also to answer your question:
Henry Clay, 4A, 10-1, TOP 5
Pikeville, 1A, 8-3, TOP 10
Sheldon Clark, 2A, 8-3, TOP 10
Ironton Ohio, Divison 4, 9-2, TOP 10

That's pretty darn good competition and the kid played BIG in all four of those games.
I'll even take it a step further and say that I think there is no other player in 2A football to have such impressive numbers against such a high level of competition.....

He may be a star on a team composed of mainly sophomores..but that team is also one of the favorites to make it to Lousville and win a third straight state title. It don't matter how young the team around you is or what class they are,,, if you are a player you are a player.
orisonspi Wrote:.... It don't matter how young the team around you is or what class they are,,, if you are a player you are a player.

SIG'D
If doug howard didnt even make 1st team all state then in my book it would be a major accomplishment for someone from belfry to make 1st team all state. Maynard should get a honorable mention, but i'm sure that if Belfry wins state he will be 2nd team.
Red and Black Wrote:If doug howard didnt even make 1st team all state then in my book it would be a major accomplishment for someone from belfry to make 1st team all state. Maynard should get a honorable mention, but i'm sure that if Belfry wins state he will be 2nd team.
Just for reference sake:

In the past two years Belfry has had two All-State First Teamers:
Big DT Josh Cullop two years ago, and last year David Jones.
orisonspi Wrote:Just for reference sake:

In the past two years Belfry has had two All-State First Teamers:
Big DT Josh Cullop two years ago, and last year David Jones.

Belfry usually has at least one guy make the C-J team whether it be 1st or 2nd team. This is the coaches all-state team and the most repsected All-State team in the state at the present time.

I think Maynard could definitely be, at least, a 2nd team cornerback. And IMO that is position Coach Haywood should nominate him for.

Brainstorm........Gotta start another thread.
He is good enough to go play special teams for the all-star team. He is fast, but he has only played Henry Clay, Ironton (OH), Maybe end up playin Ft. Campbell. But if he wants to go he will have to show himself if they go to Louisville.
Per News Express article:
Matt Maynard
88 carries, 798 yds, 16TD.
Thats an average of 9.1 yards per carry, and a rushing touchdown every 5.5 carries!
orisonspi Wrote:This kid is so overlooked on a statewide level so let's get the word out on him:

What about Adam Dials from Sheldon Clark. He has already reached over 1000 yards for the season, and he didnt even start playin til the second half of the Knott co. game because Jesse Stephens got hurt. Plus he is only a sophmore, and he didnt even play last year. So for his first year playin, that isnt bad, plus he had over 300 yards and 4td's against breathitt co. So look for him to be up there, maybe not this year, but next year or his senior year..
I say good luck to MATT I hope he makes 1st team hes one heck of a player