Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holdback rule
Just what is the rule on holdbacks in Pike Co. If a child is held back in the 8th grade this year(09), can they play with no limitations next year (09-10)in Basketball ?
alleycat53 Wrote:Just what is the rule on holdbacks in Pike Co. If a child is held back in the 8th grade this year(09), can they play with no limitations next year (09-10)in Basketball ?

As I understand it, the only limitation to an 8th grader holding back is that they cannot play on the varsity high school team in that same year. If they were held back as a 7th grader, they could play varsity that same year.
Can't play varsity during holdback year no matter what grade you're in according to KHSAA...if you do and are reported could lose a year of eligibility
If you are playing middle school and are hled back there is no restrictions.
As far as I know the limitations for high school eligibilty is 4 years starting your freshman year plus one year for every grade below, so if you are an 8th grader and you play Varisty basketball and are held back,,, you can not play the next year and still be inthe 8th grade, you will have 4 years of playing time once you hit the 9th grade?????

I think this is correct??????
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If you are playing middle school and are hled back there is no restrictions.
As far as I know the limitations for high school eligibilty is 4 years starting your freshman year plus one year for every grade below, so if you are an 8th grader and you play Varisty basketball and are held back,,, you can not play the next year and still be inthe 8th grade, you will have 4 years of playing time once you hit the 9th grade?????

You cannot play 2 years in the same grade.

8th grader does not play varsity/freshman/jv his 1st year in 8th grade and is held back, can play 2nd year or vice versa.

Yes, 4 years once in 9th grade,
NEXT Wrote:You cannot play 2 years in the same grade.

8th grader does not play varsity/freshman/jv his 1st year in 8th grade and is held back, can play 2nd year or vice versa.

Yes, 4 years once in 9th grade,

Wrong. Once a player completes 8th grade his 4 yrs start. He can not even play at the JV level.
Students repeating a grade for any reason are
ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics at the high
school level (grades 9 through 12) during the second year in
that grade.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf
c) No student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade
or in any grade through twelfth (12th) shall be eligible for
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9
through 12) for more than a total of one (1) year in each grade
and applicable eligibility shall begin in the first year enrolled
in that grade.
Students repeating a grade for any reason are
that grade.

Case BL-4-18- Do parents have options relative to holding
a student back in grade eight?

No, Kentucky Department of Education regulations place the
responsibility for promotion or retention of a student on school
personnel and not parents. Once “promoted” from the eighth
grade, a student’s four consecutive calendar year (8 semesters)
athletic eligibility period begins.
Verification as to the retention/promotino decision is the
responsibility of school personnel and may include such
things as STI records or other written documentation. Such
documentation should always be available for review until the
student graduates.

Case BL-4-5 – May a student who is repeating a grade
(below grade nine) play interscholastic sports for the
middle school / junior high school?
That determination is left to the discretion of the local school
based decision-making body for the school in accordance with
adopted SBDM policies. It has been determined and reaffirmed
by the Department of Education that the Association’s
jurisdiction is presently limited to the member high schools
of the Association and not the related middle or junior high
schools. However, those students who are repeating a grade
at any level are prevented in all situations from representing a
KHSAA member school in a scrimmage or contest at any level
(grades 9-12) during the year being repeated whether or not
that student played interscholastic sports at any level during the
first year in the grade.
So he has to play 8th grade Basketball!
He cannot play high school. If he is "promoted" and decides to repeat 8th grade he will not be eligible his senior year. He only has 3 years - 9th, 10th, and 11th. I do not know the official definition of promoted, this would be determined by the school I guess.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If you are playing middle school and are hled back there is no restrictions.

If he is promoted to 9th then his four years start whether he repeats 8th grade or not. So, if he was not promoted then he is fine. If you are in 7th grade and promoted to 9th then your 4 years start. (I know that rule is hard to believe, but that is how it reads.
The student cannot play varisity sports during their holdback year...they can play grade school sports but not varsity.
Read the post by "cartman". They shall not play at the high school level. This means varsity, JV, or freshman. This rule has caught students in the past because they participated on high school track, or golf teams. Then sometime during their high school career it was discovered.
c) No student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade
or in any grade through twelfth (12th) shall be eligible for
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9
through 12) for more than a total of one (1) year in each grade
and applicable eligibility shall begin in the fi rst year enrolled
in that grade. Students repeating a grade for any reason are
that grade. The penalty for violation of this rule shall be the loss
of one of the four years of eligibility after being promoted from
grade nine (9). Policies regarding the participation of repeating
students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic
athletics shall be determined by the school council pursuant to
KRS 160.345 (2) (i).
is anyone from virgie holding back
i think that andrew newsome kid is holding back he is good down low
What is the age requirement or limit to play Boys middle school basketball ?
Please let me know
There is no age limit for middle school sports. Each school board sets there own rules as there is no state regulation. With that said, some use the rule that they can't be 15 before August 1, 2009 to follow the high school rule. In other words, they can't be 16 before August 1, 2010 for the 2009-2010 season.
The KYMSFA for middle school football has the same rules, 7th grade- Can not turn 14 before Aug1st. 8th grade- can not turn 15 before Augsut 1st.
This seems to be the rule for most
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:The KYMSFA for middle school football has the same rules, 7th grade- Can not turn 14 before Aug1st. 8th grade- can not turn 15 before Augsut 1st.
This seems to be the rule for most

That is the rule we use over here in Jackson Co. except I think we go by the date of the first day of school
Folks , I know most of you don't want to hear this, but , only in eastern ky. , is , this even an issue , the other parts of our state ( the teams you'll play if you get out of your region , 15th ) don't even consider this an issue !!!!! , If you think I'm mistaken , remind me of a team ( grade school or high school , that your team beat, OK SV , but , anyone else , ) there's a reason why, we're considered , the weakest region in the state, do the math fans, and I think you're opinion will change. ( If you're a real fan, don't take a pocket knife , to a gun fight !!!!!! )..........