Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counting Down 2010's Top 10 Teams
uhavenoidea Wrote:WOW! Easily Top 10? That's a bold statement. Should make it to state? Is that a doubt, if their easily top 10, they should have no problems at all right? If you make it to state your Top 10? I thought it was called the Sweet 16. Just because you make it from the 15th, dont mean you should be ranked that high man. You go down to Lexington and Louisville and win those regions or be in the title game or something of that nature and then your easily top 10.

Valley made it to the elite 8 this year and knocked off the defending state champs in the first round. they only lost 2 starters and they have there 2 best coming back and there leading rebounder. yea i would say valley is top ten.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Shelby Valley just doesn't have the talent to compete with those teams because they are loaded with college players. That doesn't mean that they still cannot be top 10 team, beacuse they are. Elisha makes that team, that good! No one in the state can defend him.

very true statement. couldn't agree more.
IMO, I tink SV is a top ten team! Good luck!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I'll echo you on that one, BCA.

If anyone says otherwise, then obviously haven't seen this kid play.

I've seen Justice play several times in high school and AAU and to say NOBODY can guard him is flat ridiculous.

Ricardo Johnson would shut Justice down along with several other players such as Jackson, Guyn, and Sewell.

Justice is good but put him against one of those three and he would really struggle.
SwildcatV Wrote:Valley made it to the elite 8 this year and knocked off the defending state champs in the first round. they only lost 2 starters and they have there 2 best coming back and there leading rebounder. yea i would say valley is top ten.

True but Mason Co wasn't exactly a world beater this past year. They were probably the 7th or 8th best team down at Rupp.

Losing Adams and Tacket is going to hurt SV more than you think. I still think they're top 10 but not having that size will kill them against the elite teams such as Holmes who's starting lineup will be 6'3, 6'5, 6'6, 6'6, 6'7.

Justice is the only kid from that team that can compete with the players from Eastern, J'town, Ballard, Holmes, Scott Co, etc.
Looks like I was right...

Preseason #3: Eastern

After beating Jeffersontown in the Region 7 championship game, Eastern went into the KHSAA Sweet 16 as one of the favorites to win the state championship. A second round lose to Central ended those hopes. Eastern loses Chris Dowe, who was their best player this past season but coach Jason Couch returns several keys players.

Eastern returns a solid back court. Senior-to-be DelQuan Thomas averaged 13.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per game this past season. The 6-foot-1 Thomas can hit the mid range jumper but he is at his best when he drives to the basket. He will be one of the top players in a very talented Region 7 next season.

Joining Thomas in the back court, will be two of the best juniors-to-be in the state, Remy Abell and Arman Marks. Abell started this past season and averaged 11.2 points per game. Abell is a very smart, heady basketball player. He gets the job done but he does so very quietly. When you watch him play you don't realize what he has done until you look at the box score and see where he scored 18 or 19 points and pulled down seven or eight rebounds.

Marks came off the bench this past season and averaged 8.7 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. He is left handed and he can hit the outside jumper. Look for him to replace Dowe in the back court.

Both Abell and Marks have the potential to play Division I. Abell shot 35.7 percent from three point range, while Marks shot 35 percent.

Lyonell Gaines returns in the front court. The 6-foot-4, junior-to-be averaged 10.1 points and 5.8 rebounds per game this past season. Like Abell and Marks, Gaines is one of the top juniors-to-be in the state and he has the potential to play Division I.

Joining him in the front court is one of the states top football prospects Jon Davis. Davis came off the bench this past season but expect his minutes to increase. The 6-foot-3, 200 pound junior-to-be only averaged 2.4 points per game but he is at his best on defense. He is very strong and he can use his weight to body up against opposing teams top big men.

Dowe was one of the top seniors in the state this past season, so losing him will hurt. However, the Eagles have the talent to win another Region 7 championship. They will have a fast and very athletic team. Eastern hasn't won a state championship since 1997. Could 2010 be their year?
I'm assuming the final preseason top 10 will look like this:

1. Holmes
2. Scott Co
3. Eastern
4. Jeffersontown
5. Shelby Valley
6. Clark Co
7. Warren Central
8. Christian Co
9. Male
10. Lexcath
kywldcat01 Wrote:I've seen Justice play several times in high school and AAU and to say NOBODY can guard him is flat ridiculous.

Ricardo Johnson would shut Justice down along with several other players such as Jackson, Guyn, and Sewell.

Justice is good but put him against one of those three and he would really struggle.

Same thing has been said many times about many different players,by many different people, who root for many different teams. For example the Faulkner's, Elliott threw both boys at Elisha and they still had trouble guarding him, and didn't both of those boys make All-State?
kywldcat01 Wrote:True but Mason Co wasn't exactly a world beater this past year. They were probably the 7th or 8th best team down at Rupp.

Losing Adams and Tacket is going to hurt SV more than you think. I still think they're top 10 but not having that size will kill them against the elite teams such as Holmes who's starting lineup will be 6'3, 6'5, 6'6, 6'6, 6'7.

Justice is the only kid from that team that can compete with the players from Eastern, J'town, Ballard, Holmes, Scott Co, etc.

Wow you obviously don't like Valley, or are you a little jealous because your team aren't doing as good? :dontthink Ashley Hatfield has tough D and so does Taylor Newsome.
uhavenoidea Wrote:WOW! Easily Top 10? That's a bold statement. Should make it to state? Is that a doubt, if their easily top 10, they should have no problems at all right? If you make it to state your Top 10? I thought it was called the Sweet 16. Just because you make it from the 15th, dont mean you should be ranked that high man. You go down to Lexington and Louisville and win those regions or be in the title game or something of that nature and then your easily top 10.

Ok man you go play all of Valleys starting 5 and see how many you beat.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree

You would agree that Valley isn't top 10. Your for everyone except them. I mean look at most of your post. Half of them is saying how bad Valley is. Valley is not that bad. They are top 10. Plain and simple. :thanks:
PC_You_Know Wrote:Same thing has been said many times about many different players,by many different people, who root for many different teams. For example the Faulkner's, Elliott threw both boys at Elisha and they still had trouble guarding him, and didn't both of those boys make All-State?

And neither of those players mentioned possess the athleticism or bring the same defensive intensity that Ricardo does. It's much tougher going against a 6'5 player with Rico's length and athleticism than going against a 6'1 player like the Faulkners who's defense lack tremendously.

Rico's credentials speak for themself. He has shut down a long list of very good players over the past two years:

Sanford- Lexcath (6 points, 8 points)
Ferguson- Elliott Co (15 points)
Phares- Scott Co (3 points)
Cox- Ballard (9 points)
Mcfarland- Boone (5 points)
Wilson- Christian Co (7 points)
Ashford- Bryan Station (12 points)
Miller- Knox Central (5 points)

All of those players were All State this past year. I rest my case.
KYWILDCAT01

I wasn't being serious about Central.

And I agree, saying nobody can guard Elisha Justice is stupid.

There isn't anyone in the state that can't be guarded.

(side-note Holmes has 3 of the Preseason Top 5 SR recruits. Actually 3 of the top 4 including the top 2. I don't believe they will still have that by seasons end because JJ will fall out of top 5 to probably top 10 or 15)
Mr.Rainman Wrote:You would agree that Valley isn't top 10. Your for everyone except them. I mean look at most of your post. Half of them is saying how bad Valley is. Valley is not that bad. They are top 10. Plain and simple. :thanks:

Ha wow dude...go back and read the post that I agreed with. I agreed that Shelby Valley was a top 10 team but that they'd have trouble competing with teams like J'town, Eastern, Holmes and Scott Co.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Ha wow dude...go back and read the post that I agreed with. I agreed that Shelby Valley was a top 10 team but that they'd have trouble competing with teams like J'town, Eastern, Holmes and Scott Co.

Valley will shock you then. :yikes:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Ha wow dude...go back and read the post that I agreed with. I agreed that Shelby Valley was a top 10 team but that they'd have trouble competing with teams like J'town, Eastern, Holmes and Scott Co.

Honestly, people have been saying this about Valley for a few years, then this past year they went down state and knocked off the defending state champs. A lot of doubters on this board about Valley, and all of them keep getting proven wrong.
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Valley will shock you then. :yikes:

Valley wouldn't beat Holmes, Scott Co, J'town, or Eastern. All have too much athleticism and talent.

TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Honestly, people have been saying this about Valley for a few years, then this past year they went down state and knocked off the defending state champs. A lot of doubters on this board about Valley, and all of them keep getting proven wrong.

And in those years Valley has made it past the first round of the state tournament just once. Also, just because Mason Co was the defending state champs doesn't mean anything. They lost 3 starters from last years' team, including Mr. Basketball Darius Miller and Trevor Setty who's now out at Oklahoma St. Big difference.

When Valley beats some legit top 20 teams, you'll see them get more respect. I said the same thing about Elliott co this past season. They went out and beat Mason Co and Ballard in a week's span and earned my respect.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Honestly, people have been saying this about Valley for a few years, then this past year they went down state and knocked off the defending state champs. A lot of doubters on this board about Valley, and all of them keep getting proven wrong.

I wouldn't really consider it getting proved wrong when a team is expected to win, as Valley was over Mason, goes out and wins. And the reason there are probably alot of Valley doubters, is because there are alot of people on here that hype them up and a second round exit to a team that the Valley had already beat didn't prove anything to anyone. Especially when most of the Valley supporters would get on here and say "we already beat Elliot, we proved we are the better team." If you don't want people thinking Valley didn't live up to expectations, then dont build up the expectations with all the hype.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I wouldn't really consider it getting proved wrong when a team is expected to win, as Valley was over Mason, goes out and wins. And the reason there are probably alot of Valley doubters, is because there are alot of people on here that hype them up and a second round exit to a team that the Valley had already beat didn't prove anything to anyone. Especially when most of the Valley supporters would get on here and say "we already beat Elliot, we proved we are the better team." If you don't want people thinking Valley didn't live up to expectations, then dont build up the expectations with all the hype.

Well said.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Valley wouldn't beat Holmes, Scott Co, J'town, or Eastern. All have too much athleticism and talent.

And in those years Valley has made it past the first round of the state tournament just once. Also, just because Mason Co was the defending state champs doesn't mean anything. They lost 3 starters from last years' team, including Mr. Basketball Darius Miller and Trevor Setty who's now out at Oklahoma St. Big difference.

When Valley beats some legit top 20 teams, you'll see them get more respect. I said the same thing about Elliott co this past season. They went out and beat Mason Co and Ballard in a week's span and earned my respect.

In the same week, Vallet beat Elliott and Bardstown.
SV is a very good team. But You saying that beating Bardstown and Elliot Co isn't as impressive as some of the other teams.
Thats 2 top 20 teams. Holmes played 7 Top 20 Teams in the regular season and 2 more in the tournament. They also played 2 of those teams twice. thats a total of 11 games against the Top 20
PC_You_Know Wrote:[/B]

In the same week, Valley beat Elliott and Bardstown.

And when Valley beat Elliott, I was on another site touting their horn and giving them their props for knocking off a top 15 team. Bardstown is solid, but I wouldn't exactly consider that a signature win. Valley was heavily favored to beat them and only won by 3. Bardstown lost to Boone Co by 20 points.

At the same time though, when you look at the elite teams in the state, look at who they played and their record against those teams. The elite teams in the state all played 5 or more top 25 teams. Holmes played 13 games against top 25 competition, Scott Co played 12 games against top 25 teams, J'town played 10 games against top 25 teams, Ballard played 13 games against top 25 teams, and Eastern played 9 games against top 25 teams.

Those were the the top 5 teams at the end of the season, and rightfully so...because they earned their respect by going out and beating solid teams night in and night out.

As I said earlier...when Valley starts playing ranked teams and beating them, they'll get a lot more respect.
kywldcat01 Wrote:And when Valley beat Elliott, I was on another site touting their horn and giving them their props for knocking off a top 15 team. Bardstown is solid, but I wouldn't exactly consider that a signature win. Valley was heavily favored to beat them and only won by 3. Bardstown lost to Boone Co by 20 points.

At the same time though, when you look at the elite teams in the state, look at who they played and their record against those teams. The elite teams in the state all played 5 or more top 25 teams. Holmes played 13 games against top 25 competition, Scott Co played 12 games against top 25 teams, J'town played 10 games against top 25 teams, Ballard played 13 games against top 25 teams, and Eastern played 9 games against top 25 teams.

Those were the the top 5 teams at the end of the season, and rightfully so...because they earned their respect by going out and beating solid teams night in and night out.

As I said earlier...when Valley starts playing ranked teams and beating them, they'll get a lot more respect.

From who? You? Everyone else already respects Valley.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:From who? You? Everyone else already respects Valley.

Sure they respect them...but they don't consider Valley as big of a threat as some of you on here talk them up to be.

If you seriously think they'd beat Holmes, that's hilarious. Valley would stuggle to rebound with them because of their size, length, and athleticism. Holmes will also be better this year than last year. Nobody thought Holmes would win the state title at the beginning of the year...everyone said they were a year away, including myself.

Valley is a top 10 team, but will be nothing like they were this past year. IF they actually play and beat someone ranked, you'll see posts like mine and others who aren't SV homers disappear very quickly.
kywldcat1 it takes alot to please you huh? Valley beat Bardstown and Elliot, I believe on the same day. Right? Valley has done alot coming from eastern Kentucky were usually there are no good basketball teams. Valley won the All "A". Do they have to win 7 tournaments outside of state and the state tournament to please you? You're pretty much saying their no good. When in reality they're pre-ranked top 10 in state.
If...Then Wrote:Valley is getting a new guard to play along side Justice. Zach Ramey, came from Pikeville. He can replace Logan Bryant easily. So id say they'll be right back at Rupp again, but with Newsome as Center. We'll have to see if he can produce down low

Has anyone seen zach play?? Or has anyone been to valley's open gyms and watched him play alongside the other players?? Will be be a factor this season for valley??
play_maker Wrote:Has anyone seen zach play?? Or has anyone been to valley's open gyms and watched him play alongside the other players?? Will be be a factor this season for valley??

I've played with him at the Y before, he shoots the 3 pretty good and is pretty quick.
Mr.Rainman Wrote:kywldcat1 it takes alot to please you huh? Valley beat Bardstown and Elliot, I believe on the same day. Right? Valley has done alot coming from eastern Kentucky were usually there are no good basketball teams. Valley won the All "A". Do they have to win 7 tournaments outside of state and the state tournament to please you? You're pretty much saying their no good. When in reality they're pre-ranked top 10 in state.

Where have I ever said Valley was no good? Look at my last post. I said Valley was definetly a top 10 team but that they weren't on the same level as the top 3 or 4 teams in the state. How is that saying they aren't any good? The teams I've mentioned have EARNED the credit that they get because they play and beat the best this state has to offer.

Valley isn't the only team who could have beaten Elliott and Bardstown on the same day. Holmes beat Elliott and Central on the same day. That's more of a feat than beating Bardstown. Again, the All "A" isn't exactly one of the most competitive tournaments. It usually fields 2 or 3 good teams like this year in Valley and Elliott and then the rest are average and below average teams. I never said they have to win 7 tournaments and all this other junk you're bringing up...my point is, don't try to compare yourself to "the man" until you actually beat "the man."
Mr.Rainman Wrote:kywldcat1 it takes alot to please you huh? Valley beat Bardstown and Elliot, I believe on the same day. Right? Valley has done alot coming from eastern Kentucky were usually there are no good basketball teams. Valley won the All "A". Do they have to win 7 tournaments outside of state and the state tournament to please you? You're pretty much saying their no good. When in reality they're pre-ranked top 10 in state.

Maybe you're just satisfied a little too easy, while others have higher standards.
ex. (Some college teams hang Sweet 16 and Elite 8 banners up in the rafters. Should this take anything away from those teams? No, These were probably very good teams with very talented players, but were they great teams? Probably not. You know a team is really a great team if they only hang up Final Four, Runner-up, or Championship banners.)

It's nothing against Valley they are one of the better teams in the state right now. IMO deservedly so of that top 10 ranking, but they're are not on the ELITE level of teams in the state. IMO there are 3-4 teams that are just a notch better than everyone else at this point in time. So be proud of that ALL "A" banner that will hang in your gym, just don't expect everyone in the state to be overwhelmed by that accomplishment.
i think warren central can make a run next year. george fant is turning into a beast inside, clark county will also be much better.