Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counting Down 2010's Top 10 Teams
You know, people have mentioned Valley not scheduling top teams, I don't see these top teams trying to schedule Valley and Valley running from them. I think some people on here are making it out as if Valley is running from the top competition.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You know, people have mentioned Valley not scheduling top teams, I don't see these top teams trying to schedule Valley and Valley running from them. I think some people on here are making it out as if Valley is running from the top competition.

Nobody ever said Valley was running from top competition. At the same time though, I don't see Valley trying to schedule any top 20 teams, which is evident by the fact that last year they only played 1 top 20 team and that was only because they met in the All "A". Considering the amount of top 20 teams that Holmes, Scott Co, Eastern, Ballard, J'town, Lexcath, and Mason Co scheduled, I doubt very seriously anyone is ducking Valley. Playing top 20 teams on a regular basis is why those above teams are usually the top programs year in and year out.

Look at Holmes out of region schedule this past year:

v Scott Co (preseason #1)
v Bryan Station (top 15)
v Tates Creek (top 25)
v Ballard (top 5)
v Hazard (top 25)
v Scott (top 25)
v Franklin Co (top 10)
v Largo, MD (Defending 3A state champs)
v Seneca (top 20 until end of year)
v Henderson Co (2nd region runner up)

When Valley starts playing competition like that, then you'll see them get more respect around the state and people won't question their strength of schedule. Until then, the Valley homers have no room to talk about someone trying to duck them. It's a two way street there chief.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Nobody ever said Valley was running from top competition. At the same time though, I don't see Valley trying to schedule any top 20 teams, which is evident by the fact that last year they only played 1 top 20 team and that was only because they met in the All "A". Considering the amount of top 20 teams that Holmes, Scott Co, Eastern, Ballard, J'town, Lexcath, and Mason Co scheduled, I doubt very seriously anyone is ducking Valley. Playing top 20 teams on a regular basis is why those above teams are usually the top programs year in and year out.

Look at Holmes out of region schedule this past year:

v Scott Co (preseason #1)
v Bryan Station (top 15)
v Tates Creek (top 25)
v Ballard (top 5)
v Hazard (top 25)
v Scott (top 25)
v Franklin Co (top 10)
v Largo, MD (Defending 3A state champs)
v Seneca (top 20 until end of year)
v Henderson Co (2nd region runner up)

When Valley starts playing competition like that, then you'll see them get more respect around the state and people won't question their strength of schedule. Until then, the Valley homers have no room to talk about someone trying to duck them. It's a two way street there chief.

And that's why I was turning the car around for a minute, you have yet to mention a team calling Valley and Valley turning them down, but you were certainly making it seem as if Valley was running from the tougher competition.
PC_You_Know Wrote:And that's why I was turning the car around for a minute, you have yet to mention a team calling Valley and Valley turning them down, but you were certainly making it seem as if Valley was running from the tougher competition.

Unless you're someone who's inside the program, we really don't know who's trying to call Valley to schedule them, and vice versa.

My point is, you can't say teams are ducking Valley when teams like Holmes, Scott Co, Ballard, J'town, Eastern, Lexcath, and Mason CO are playing top 20 and top 10 teams consistently.
Preseason #2 is in:

Holmes entered the 2009 KHSAA Sweet 16 as the favorite to win the state championship. After a double overtime win against Central in the championship game, the Bulldogs walked off Rupp Arena floor victorious. With three starters back, including state tournament MVP Ricardo Johnson, can Holmes repeat in 2010?

The loss of Jamel Riley to graduation will hurt. The 5-foot-10 guard averaged 10.3 points per game last season. However, the back court will be very good.

Ricardo Johnson is one of the hottest prospects in the state. The 6-foot-5, 195 pound senior-to-be averaged 10.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game this past season. A number of Division I schools are recruiting him. Bradley University has already offered a scholarship. He could be the favorite to win the 2010 Mr. Basketball award.

Joining Ricardo in the back court will be his brother Jeremiah Johnson. Jeremiah Johnson averaged eight points per game last season.

Elijah Pittman will anchor the front court. The 6-foot-8, 210 pound forward senior-to-be averaged 14.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game this past season. Like Ricardo Johnson, Pittman has the potential to play Division I college basketball. Kentucky, Oklahoma and Xavier have shown interest in Pittman.

Look for Kevon Rice to see his minutes increase. The 6-foot-6, 185 pound forward averaged 3.9 points and 2.1 rebounds this past season. Rice, who will be a junior next season, has the potential to be a solid contributor.

Holmes has the talent to repeat as state champions. The key could be Pittman. He has the potential to be a great player. If he gets serious and really works at his game, the sky is the limit for him and Holmes.
WHAT????????????????????

Scott Co will always be called the top team even if the don't win a game I guess. They couldn't make it to state without Phares. And Phares is gone.

Holmes Lost their 4th best player and brought in someone who was better but played at the deepest position and still aren't preseason #1???
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:WHAT????????????????????

Scott Co will always be called the top team even if the don't win a game I guess. They couldn't make it to state without Phares. And Phares is gone.

Holmes Lost their 4th best player and brought in someone who was better but played at the deepest position and still aren't preseason #1???

I'd assume the reasoning is because of Holmes' question marks at the pg position. Rico can run the point just fine but they'll be lacking a shooter like Riley unless, freshman to be, Mcclendon can step in and take over that role. Holmes will be considerably deeper this year with the strong JV members moving up.

Scott Co returns everyone from that region championship game team. I personally don't think they should be ahead of Holmes considering they lost their best player in Phares, but Holmes went in pre season #2 last year too and we all saw how that worked out.
Scott County and Holmes are both possible top teams in Kentucky.
Depending on opinion.
SolidOxygen Wrote:Scott County and Holmes are both possible top teams in Kentucky.
Depending on opinion.

Agreed.

Scott Co has some young talented players in Shotwell, Manning, Ivey, and Barber and then they have good upperclassmen in Guyn, Jackson, and Euton.
play_maker Wrote:He will be a senior.

no he wont. he will be a junior.
Preseason #1 is in: Scott Co

Coming into the 2008-2009 season, Scott County was everyone's pick to win the KHSAA Sweet 16. A loss to Lexington Catholic in the Region 11 championship game ended those hopes but Scott County returns several key players from this past season's team.

The Cardinals return the best back court in the state. Chad Jackson will run the point. The 6-foot-4, 175 pound senior-to-be, averaged over 12 points per game this past season. Jackson is being recruited by several schools across the country including Kansas, Indiana, Dayton, Florida and Georgia Tech. West Virginia and Xavier have already offered a scholarship.

Joining him in the back court will be Ge-Lawn Guyn. The 6-foot-3, 165 pound senior-to-be, averaged 16 points per game this past season. Like Jackson, several schools are recruiting Guyn, including Wake Forest, Indiana, Louisville, Illinois, South Carolina, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Xavier, Penn State. Western Kentucky, North Carolina-Charlotte and Dayton have already offered a scholarship.

Also returning is guard Austin Flannery. The 6-foot-2, 170 pound senior-to-be is a great shooter.

The Cardinals also return a good front court, however replacing departing senior Richie Phares won't be easy. The 6-foot-8, 200 pound forward averaged 18.8 points and eight rebounds per game this past season.

Look for Dakotah Euton to step his game up. The 6-foot-8, 215 pound senior-to-be averaged over 14 points per game this past season. Expect him to take over the low post scoring.

A player that could have a big year is sophomore-to-be Tamron Manning. Many people considered him the best freshman in the state this past season.
owsley country will be real good this year starting line up this year is
1.travis murrell
2.timmy murrell
3.tyler williams
4.devan evans
5.marcus peters
I too thought that GRC (Clark Co) would be rated higher. Purvis had to set out last year with a tore ACL. GRC did not play one game last year that someone was not hurt or sick. Their injury list was unreal. If they can keep everyone healthy this year they could be a contender for the state title.
Gold Charger Wrote:I too thought that GRC (Clark Co) would be rated higher. Purvis had to set out last year with a tore ACL. GRC did not play one game last year that someone was not hurt or sick. Their injury list was unreal. If they can keep everyone healthy this year they could be a contender for the state title.

I agree. GRC could be a state title contender this year, but I think they might be a year away. I just can't see them beating Holmes, Scott Co, or Eastern this upcoming season.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I agree. GRC could be a state title contender this year, but I think they might be a year away. I just can't see them beating Holmes, Scott Co, or Eastern this upcoming season.

Travis Purvis will make a huge difference in the GRC team this year. PG will be the position that needs rebuilding for the Cards.
Gold Charger Wrote:Travis Purvis will make a huge difference in the GRC team this year. PG will be the position that needs rebuilding for the Cards.

Which is why I think they may be a year away. Talent wise, GRC is hands down one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the state. You have to have a good point guard to win a state championship though. Look at Holmes this past season...they had Jamel Riley.

Ryan Williams will be missed by the Cards...he may not have put up big numbers but his defense and leadership were key to the Cards success. I still think they come out of the 10th and with the right draw could make the finals, but I just like Holmes, Scott Co, and Eastern's odds a little more.

2011 is the Cards year though. I'd be very surprised if they weren't cutting down the nets at Rupp.
Holmes and Scott are head and shoulders above the rest of the state. But lets not forget, you can be head and shoulders above the rest and still not make it to the state tournament (Scott Co. last year)
HollaBack Wrote:Holmes and Scott are head and shoulders above the rest of the state. But lets not forget, you can be head and shoulders above the rest and still not make it to the state tournament (Scott Co. last year)

Injuries can do that to a team. I knew when Richie went down , so did Scotts Co's chances.
The phantom foul at the end of the regional championship game didn't help much either.
HollaBack Wrote:Holmes and Scott are head and shoulders above the rest of the state. But lets not forget, you can be head and shoulders above the rest and still not make it to the state tournament (Scott Co. last year)

Very true but I really don't see anyone challenging Scott Co or Holmes within their own region this coming season.

Holmes current junior class is 70-5 during their time at the varsity level and only 2 of those losses have come to a nky team. The current juniors have also never lost a game at home...they've won 30 straight there.

As far as Scott Co, they had an unfortunate break of having their best player go down with an injury this past season. One advantage they'll have this season though is they'll be much deeper which will help if adversity arises, such as an injury.
kywldcat01 Wrote:The current juniors have also never lost a game at home...they've won 30 straight there.

If you only knew what kind of door you just opened, you wouldn't have said that. :biggrin:
TheRealVille Wrote:If you only knew what kind of door you just opened, you wouldn't have said that. :biggrin:

Trust me...I already know about Valley's current home winning streak. :Thumbs:

I'm sure someone will chime in. :popcorn:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Trust me...I already know about Valley's current home winning streak. :Thumbs:

I'm sure someone will chime in. :popcorn:
:Thumbs:
Cosby from J-town is going to prep school. So J-town is not a top 10 team
bballreporter Wrote:Cosby from J-town is going to prep school. So J-town is not a top 10 team

With or without Cosby, J'town is still a legit top 10 team. They may not be top 5, but with Jackson, Dillard, Tolliver, and Dorsey, they are very solid. The only thing they'll lack next year is height, which will be made up with those 4 players speed, quickness, and athleticism.
i think some of u ppl should look at some of the teams like perry county central there freshman class is prolly the best they ever had they got three 6'5 kids and one of the kids is a big guy hes about 250 6'5 i think thats big ole boy if ya ask me me and the others are good players who can take u from outside in and also hit the jumper ever now and then i think the talk in about a year or so will be on them they got a good group of kids who is talneted i think they will be dominate so give them a look