Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the 14th Region Baseball Coaches, Top Seven,Bottom Seven
Give me yours and I will give you mine later.
I'll start witj a few at the top.
1.Bryan Dean-wish we still had him
2.Wood at Estill
3.Couch and King at Knott
4.Melton at Leslie
5.Mehann at Hazard
Dennis Jackson at Riverside played in the minors, he just doesn't have anything to work with, but probably knows more baseball than all of the rest.
I don't see how you cannot include Bobby Keith Dixon in this discussion, all he has done at PCC is WIN
Top 7
1.Wood-Estill
2.Dean-Letcher
3.Jewell-Lee. really over achieved the last two years filling big shoes
4.Couch-Knott
5.Melton-Leslie
6.Mehan-Hazard
7.King-coached JBS last season-Assistant at Knott now
Navajo4life Wrote:I don't see how you cannot include Bobby Keith Dixon in this discussion, all he has done at PCC is WIN

I would have had him on my list but he allows his players to do way too much trash talking and that knocks him way down for me because there is ni place for that in baseball. You need to have control of your team. You never see a Danny Wood or Brian Dean coached team act like that.
Here are some at the bottom end.
Napier- Breathitt-lost district championship 2 years to Jackson City
Varney-Powell-Had the most talent in the Region the last 2 years and couldn't make it out of the District.
At the very bottom are the coaches at Wolfe,Buckhorn,Cordia and Jenkins.
Come on guys no need to list the bottom coaches. Lets jus name the top.

1.Dean
2.Wood
3.Melton
4.Meehan
5.Dixon
* Couch-( 1st year coaching and doing an excellent job as takin over for Hammonds. I think he will make his way up the list but right now its his first year and cant name him over all the good coaches in the 14th.)
PCBaseball Wrote:I'll start witj a few at the top.
1.Bryan Dean-wish we still had him
2.Wood at Estill
3.Couch and King at Knott
4.Melton at Leslie
5.Mehann at Hazard
Dennis Jackson at Riverside played in the minors, he just doesn't have anything to work with, but probably knows more baseball than all of the rest.

i so agree
In no paticular order I'd say Meehan (Hazard), Dixon (Perry), Dean (Letcher), and Wood (Estill) are the tops of the coaches. I think Melton (Leslie) does a great job as well. Couch at Knott may be a good one. Hard to judge this being his first season as a baseball coach.

We have had some good ones leave the past few years in Hammonds (Knott) and Combs (Lee).
Most wins by active coaches in 14th region as of 4-20-09
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobby Dixon - Perry Central (320) - 3 region titles
Danny Wood - Estill County (246) - 1 region title
John Meehan - Hazard (235) - 3 region titles
Russell Melton - Leslie County (221)
Glenn Napier - Breathitt County (205)
Coach Dean is the best coach in the 14th and if u dont agree then the baseball gods will burn ur house down.
PCBaseball Wrote:Give me yours and I will give you mine later.
Coach Wood from Estill. Period. No other team is as disciplined or as prepared as Estill County. And that's because of him.
I would say all of these coaches know baseball, THE PLAYERS make these teams winners or losers. So if these coaches are at a school that gets players, they will be considered good coaches, totally not fair. Some of these guys are great coaches, they just don't get the players some of the others get. So comparing wins and losses is not a good way to compare baseball knowledge, but since that is about all most of us do, it will continue to be done this way. We should just appreciate the time ALL THESE COACHES put in with their teams and not worry about who is the better coach, that only matters come tournament time in the close games when certain decisions have to be made to win or lose a game.
Good luck to all teams and coaches this year. Have a great season.
1.glenn napier
2.dean
3.wood
4.couch
5.dixon
Too bad Gene and Clarence Combs aren't at Lee Co. any more.
Jason Jewell is doing a fine job. But under Coach Combs it seemed like they had so much more discipline. Coach Jewell is working on it though. I think Jason is rebuilding a program.
MVP2 Wrote:Come on guys no need to list the bottom coaches. Lets jus name the top.

1.Dean
2.Wood
3.Melton
4.Meehan
5.Dixon
* Couch-( 1st year coaching and doing an excellent job as takin over for Hammonds. I think he will make his way up the list but right now its his first year and cant name him over all the good coaches in the 14th.)

I agree.
PCBaseball Wrote:Here are some at the bottom end.
Napier- Breathitt-lost district championship 2 years to Jackson City
Varney-Powell-Had the most talent in the Region the last 2 years and couldn't make it out of the District.
At the very bottom are the coaches at Wolfe,Buckhorn,Cordia and Jenkins.

I think, if Coach Miller at Buckhorn can keep his young kids playing for four years, you will see a big improvement in our program. In his second year, we have already seen a big improvement in a team that lost almost all of its starters from the previous year. I, also, think as the players improve, so will your view of Coach Miller's status among regional coaches.
Buckhorn has some very good young talent in the school. If Coach Miller can get them out (got a few out) you will see an improvement for sure. Coach Miller has also built a good staff around him. He is taking the right steps to get the program on a positive note.