Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK/Calipari met yesterday...
As reported by ESPN

Quote:Coach John Calipari is spending Monday meeting with Memphis officials and contemplating what is expected to be a multiyear, multimillion offer to coach Kentucky, a source close to the situation said.
Calipari met with Kentucky officials on Sunday at an undisclosed location, at which time he was given an outline of length of deal and contract dollars
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So this seems to suggest that UK went behind Memphis' back in talking to Calipari since as of last night they said UK had not asked permission to talk to their Coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Awesome.... I hope he comes here.....
Not a good start, imo. Why be shady about it?
Beef Wrote:So this seems to suggest that UK went behind Memphis' back in talking to Calipari since as of last night they said UK had not asked permission to talk to their Coach.
More than likely he was approached by someone not having an official capacity with the university to just feel out and see if there was a real interest, before legitimate Kentucky officials asked for formal permission to talk to him.
When do youll think Calipari will be Kentuckys coach. Mon,Tue, Wed ----????
This is getting so crazy, I just don't know what to believe. CBS Sports is stating that Cal is supposed to meet with UK today???? They had no mention of a UK meeting yesterday or a discussion with Memphis officials. Does anyone really know, of do they just make it up as they go????
Beef Wrote:So this seems to suggest that UK went behind Memphis' back in talking to Calipari since as of last night they said UK had not asked permission to talk to their Coach.

Hearing Cutler this morning, he stated this is SOP. Usually all the conversations are done in an unofficial capacity before making formal requests to speak to the University. He made it sound like this is typical and done all the time. Last week Pitino had dinner with a UK Booster to inquire about his interest in taking the UK job. Since this was never done by a UK official, there was no need to speak to a Louisville official. This all makes sense to me, and does not sound underhanded.
Like I stated last night, there is a press conference scheduled before Wed. to announce Calipari as the new coach.
I hope he comes.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Like I stated last night, there is a press conference scheduled before Wed. to announce Calipari as the new coach.
Where are you getting this information?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky finding a new coach is really big it seems lol.
Admin of Kentuckynerd.com
Please come listen to the podcast and read some articles.
Beef Wrote:Where are you getting this information?

A friend who has a family member inside the athletic department. He's been all right so far, he has told me early that Gilipsie was gone and that Calipari was looking into the job. Now he has told me that Calipari will be announced as the new coach.
From what I have seen on ESPN and EPSNEWS, Coach C and UK officals meet all sunday to discuss and outline a muti-year muti-million deal contract. Officals from UK had asked for permission from Memphis to talk to Coach C and was granted the permission. Now today, Coach C is meeting with Memphis officals to discuss the contract that UK offered him and to see if Memphis can match or even come close to what UK has offered. Its also been reported that he can make up to 4.5 million with insentives a year.
Not sure how reliable of a source this is, but it's being reported that John Calipari met w/ his players this morning and hinted at leaving, citing Kentucky as the "Notre Dame of college basketball." Again, not sure on the reliability of this but it's out there....

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/200...departure/
Coach C will not leave! Travis Ford will be the next coach.Bring Happy Osborne from Georgetown, the man can coach.
hellbilly Wrote:Not sure how reliable of a source this is, but it's being reported that John Calipari met w/ his players this morning and hinted at leaving, citing Kentucky as the "Notre Dame of college basketball." Again, not sure on the reliability of this but it's out there....

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/200...departure/

I just read an article on Catspause rendering the same information.

"Kentucky's search for a new basketball coach could be nearing a conclusion and John Calipari appears to be the front runner to land the job.

Calipari met with his players and Memphis athletics department personnel Monday morning. A report in the Memphis Commerical-Appeal suggested players felt as though Calipari would be moving to Lexington."
Kats said that if the deal is going to happen, it would be in the next 24 hours.
Im getting excited with all this talk about Coach C and him bringing his recruits with him. That would be insaine!
Tubby Lover Wrote:Coach C will not leave! Travis Ford will be the next coach.Bring Happy Osborne from Georgetown, the man can coach.

I hope like **** you are wrong. We do not need another "up and comer" coach, regardless of the fact that he attended and played at UK. Right now everything is focused on Calipari, but that could be a stunt to get more $$$'s out of Memphis. Time will tell I suppose. Personally I'd welcome him as our new coach, he seems to know what he is doing. Of course I felt like BCG did as well, so what do I know?
Noway that you can really compare the two. Coach G and Coach C play two completely different styles of ball.
When did I compare the two? I simply stated I thought BCG knew what he was doing, nowhere did I say they were clones. I do know one similarity though, Coach C doesnt play zone either. If he does come I wonder how many coaches in the bleachers will be *****ing about that again?
Jamal Mashburn will be one of his assists mark it down!!
I think the only recruit he can really bring w/ him is DeMarcus Cousins, the other ones would have to sit a year if they bailed out on Memphis. Cousins hasnt signed a LOI yet, but it's been said the others have. If Orton stays, I doubt seriously if we'll have them both. JMO
He is not coming!!!!
You may be right on Coach C but Ford will not be the coach! Al Skinner from Boston College would be a good fit!!!
John C can bring both Cousins and Wall. Wall still hasnt even commited to any school yet.
Tipton from the Lexington Herald said its only a matter of time before Coach C signs on ESPN. Also that Cousins would come and John Wall would really consider UK if Coach C came.
Quote:Tipton from the Lexington Herald said its only a matter of time before Coach C signs on ESPN. Also that Cousins would come and John Wall would really consider UK if Coach C came.

i heard the same thing and i also heard that Calipari met with the Memphis players this morning and they are convinced that Coach Calipari will not be the coach at memphis next year
Right now it seems like UK is either gonna hit a home run (Calipari) or IMO strike-out (Ford).